Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, October 3rd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Oct 3 2013, 12:00 AM (6,708 Views)
magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Kinay
Oct 3 2013, 06:27 PM
PALMommy
Oct 3 2013, 12:53 PM
Totally loving the Jennifer baiting, but it is feeling somewhat over the top - it really needs to be a more of a gradual destruction and needs to be more subtle.
The whole Theresa/ Anne thing is over the top and excruciatingly annoying. The whole thing is childish not to mention unrealistic. Who ever in HR would hire an employee just to make someone's life miserable? It's really a stupid storyline and even Jen doesn't deserve this shit. For Theresa to tell Jen how to raise her kid when she' s such a screw up herself is laughable. Theresa needs to straighten her own life and Anne needs to get one or disappear. :eyeroll: :flipoff:
Especially an employee who had already been fired from the company because of theft. So stupid.

Today's episode was boring except for the JJ and Kayla scenes and Stefano putting Sami in her place.

Don't give a rat's patoot about Abby and Cameron and why she is questioning him now...after she has slept with Chad.... about why he didn't have time for her. You wanted to be with Chad, so go be with him. All three characters are beginning to grate on my nerves.

The Jennifer and Theresa scenes were ok, but they went on way too long. Half of that would have been enough for today.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 06:12 PM
tomsawyer
Oct 3 2013, 05:31 PM
granolagirl
Oct 3 2013, 05:16 PM
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:05 PM
the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her
I watched Danloe and enjoyed it. In no way was it not a mutual attraction, or was Chloe (Lucas' wife of five minutes after they sexed each other up in an elevator during a power outage) Lucas' property to be taken.

I'm not a fan of everything Daniel has done, but I have never seen Daniel do anything comparable to raping a woman, imprisoning her and terrorizing her in her apartment, hiring goons to beat someone up, defunding public programs to toy with people he resented, or having industrial practices in his business that led to anyone's cancer. The worst thing I can think that Daniel did was lie in a professional hearing to protect a friend.
This is all true. I'm not a Dan fan (well, it's really more Fetch that I'm not a fan of), but just because Dan isn't a great character, it doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Yeah, he seems a little sleazy for getting it on with his patients, but by soap standards, that's pretty benign. I actually think he'd be a better soap character if he was as awful as some fans see him, LOL.
He'd be more interesting, in any case. And maybe the insane, over-the-top propping would stop. Or it could be revealed as a disorder caused by drugs Daniel was slipping into the Salem water supply. Daniel, to me, is a textbook example of how a character doesn't have to be an outright villain or a criminal to be totally unrootable, unsympathetic, and unappealing. He's neither strongly good, nor compellingly bad. His vices are just sleazy enough to be consistently off-putting, and his virtues--such as they are--are too anemic to counteract the sleaziness. As it stands, he's not a villain, but he's sufficiently amoral that I could picture him sort of oozing insidiously over the line that separates good guys from bad guys. He wouldn't fall from grace--he'd slither from it.
Daniel's fatal flaw is that he is a mediocre C-character at best that the writers seem to have a hard-on for. He's dull, he has little chemistry with anyone, and no amount of shoving him into everyone's faces nonstop is going to make that different.

I almost wish they WOULD make him complex enough to do some bad guy stuff because honestly, it'd make him 20 times more interesting.

The scenes with MBE and CM were excellent. MBE is a master of subtlety in expression, and today was no different than her usual awesomeness.

Here's the thing - just because SC isn't on the screen at the time doesn't mean the writers aren't making it about Daniel. I'm not holding my breath waiting for this not to be a propfest when all is said and done. If it isn't, I'll be the first one to admit it, but I'm still VERY skeptical at this point, especially since there hasn't been a scene yet where Daniel's name isn't mentioned.

spartan
Member Avatar

I really loved how the EJami scenes fleshed out the past 2 days. Sami's mixed emotions about finding out what EJ sacrificed and what that meant for their family was on point. She reeled from it all and ran. Typical impulsive Sami. She made up for it by what she said to EJ today. She is standing by him and is happy to be where he and the kids are.

The best was EJ reclining back on the sofa and enjoying Sami getting her "Irish up" with Stefano. One of my favorite aspects of EJ is when he is amused by this part of Sami.

Kinay

Rosebud
Oct 3 2013, 01:14 PM
blueskies
Oct 3 2013, 12:19 PM
You know, if Sami and Ej weren't Sami and EJ, I might actually believe Stefano was the devil incarnate & the only bad guy here. As it is, I can't muster up any sympathy for them. Well except Ej when Sami was acting like a brat yesterday.
I was feeling sorry for Stefano, and questioning his sanity for wanting to be around those two pathetic losers.
Sami and EJ really have become pathetic losers . It should be fun watching Stephano pull their strings because EJami fails to entertain any more. Their happy ever after is pretty fucked up. EJ will never be his own man, he's too much of a wimp and Sami will never get it together. Those poor kids! JJ and Theresa think they have problems!

Romancer66

esp13
Oct 3 2013, 06:54 PM
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:46 PM
I don't see where anyone, except you, has called Kayla "the villain of the play." I don't see her as the villain, although I did find her Daniel/Fetch-propping today made her a less sympathetic figure to me than she might otherwise have been.
But what I don't understand is the idea that she is propping Daniel. She told JJ she wasn't selling Daniel to him. And all she said to Daniel is that he wasn't a monster. How the hell is that propping. Not to mention she has a good reason to like Daniel better. And even if she was propping him how does that make her "less sympathetic"? She was clearly upset by her slip and didn't want JJ to know what she meant. I just, for the life of me, can't figure out what the fact that she is friends with Daniel has to do with whether she is sympathetic or not.
Does subjectivity really need to qualified to this extent? My being irritated by Kayla and Daniel's interaction today is as individual to me--and to viewers who had a similar reaction--as your championing of Kayla is to you and the character's other fans. Agreed, Kayla was not--at the moment--attempting to sell Daniel to JJ, but I contend that she was being put in the position of trying to sell Daniel to the audience. Which is more the fault of TPTB, but I tend to find all characters less sympathetic when they push Daniel at me, not just Kayla. It's as obnoxious as a door-to-door salesman who just Won't. Go. Away.

Romancer66

MissLola
Oct 3 2013, 06:33 PM
I don't think that Dan is a bad guy nor do I really hate him. I more hate that someone got the idea to take a slightly above average actor, with slightly above average looks (IMO) and tried to force him into a lead role by way of absurdly over favorable writing when he is much more suited as a supporting player. I didn't even mind Fetch at first until they started heavily handed tipping the scales in his favor. He does not have the charisma or screen presence to pull this off.
The trail of death and destruction left in Fetch's wake is what did it for me.

Jack died so Daniel could benefit. (No more husband, father of Jennifer's children, long history for him to contend with.)

Nicole's baby died so Jennifer could benefit. (No more godson, paternity secret, lasting personal tie between Nicole and Daniel for her to contend with.)

That's two huge strikes against them already. The sheer number of characters tossed under the bus after that took care of the third strike, and the carnage continues to this day. At this point, I wonder if TIIC have taken to sacrificing farm animals on the night of the full moon to keep Fetch going.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 07:24 PM
MissLola
Oct 3 2013, 06:33 PM
I don't think that Dan is a bad guy nor do I really hate him. I more hate that someone got the idea to take a slightly above average actor, with slightly above average looks (IMO) and tried to force him into a lead role by way of absurdly over favorable writing when he is much more suited as a supporting player. I didn't even mind Fetch at first until they started heavily handed tipping the scales in his favor. He does not have the charisma or screen presence to pull this off.
The trail of death and destruction left in Fetch's wake is what did it for me.

Jack died so Daniel could benefit. (No more husband, father of Jennifer's children, long history for him to contend with.)

Nicole's baby died so Jennifer could benefit. (No more godson, paternity secret, lasting personal tie between Nicole and Daniel for her to contend with.)

That's two huge strikes against them already. The sheer number of characters tossed under the bus after that took care of the third strike, and the carnage continues to this day. At this point, I wonder if TIIC have taken to sacrificing farm animals on the night of the full moon to keep Fetch going.
Nicole's baby also died so Ej and Sami could be together with him having no ties to Nicole. An Ejole baby would have caused countless issues that these writers didn't want to deal with.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 07:10 PM
esp13
Romancer66
I don't see where anyone, except you, has called Kayla "the villain of the play." I don't see her as the villain, although I did find her Daniel/Fetch-propping today made her a less sympathetic figure to me than she might otherwise have been.
But what I don't understand is the idea that she is propping Daniel. She told JJ she wasn't selling Daniel to him. And all she said to Daniel is that he wasn't a monster. How the hell is that propping. Not to mention she has a good reason to like Daniel better. And even if she was propping him how does that make her "less sympathetic"? She was clearly upset by her slip and didn't want JJ to know what she meant. I just, for the life of me, can't figure out what the fact that she is friends with Daniel has to do with whether she is sympathetic or not.
Does subjectivity really need to qualified to this extent? My being irritated by Kayla and Daniel's interaction today is as individual to me--and to viewers who had a similar reaction--as your championing of Kayla is to you and the character's other fans. Agreed, Kayla was not--at the moment--attempting to sell Daniel to JJ, but I contend that she was being put in the position of trying to sell Daniel to the audience. Which is more the fault of TPTB, but I tend to find all characters less sympathetic when they push Daniel at me, not just Kayla. It's as obnoxious as a door-to-door salesman who just Won't. Go. Away.
Exactly! My problems with Daniel have far more to do with the writers' desperate, flailing insistence that Daniel is the greatest character ever created than anything the character has or has not done (laying hands on JJ three times was not okay, though). In fact, this is the first time I can think of in my long history of tv watching that I sense palatable contempt from the writers because a character is not universally beloved, and I react badly to that.

While I agree that so far, the Kayla story could have been worse as far as Daniel propping goes, it shouldn't have had anything to do with Daniel at all and would be far better if it wasn't.

I don't begrudge anyone a chance to see and enjoy MBE shine, especially in scenes with Casey Moss, however.

I do, however, think that there is a level of selling Daniel to the audience by the writers, and I don't like it.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

It bothers me that whenever Stefano, EJ and Chad have talked about "the family" or living in the Mansion, nobody is mentioning Kristen. I get that there is virtually no animosity between Sami and Kristen at this moment, but they could still at least acknowledge her.

She's not gone from the show yet, writers! And until she exits, she's there 100 %. Keep that in mind!!!
Edited by Yoryla, Oct 3 2013, 07:32 PM.

Kinay

Romancer66
esp13
Romancer66
I saw it as Kayla trying to get JJ to go home or talk to his Mom. JJ's the one making it about Daniel and how he'll never take his father's place, even though that's not what Daniel is trying to do. Kayla tried to reason with him that Daniel is not the problem here and that is when she let it slip about Jack not being so perfect. I didn't see it as Daniel propping either but then again neither do I dislike his character to the point of getting pissed every time someone mentions his name. I don't see any of JJ's problems as being Daniel's fault and Kayla has every right to feel the way she does about Jack.

Kriss4

esp13
Oct 3 2013, 03:18 PM
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 02:04 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Oct 3 2013, 01:00 PM
Kayla coddling Daniel is pissing me off. For once, I want to someone to tell him that he is human (NOT perfect) and that he needs to mind his damn business. Worry about his own son and leave Jennifer's the hell alone. :flipoff:
The sympathy I might otherwise feel for Kayla is tempered by TIIC having her immediately prop Fetch and Daniel right after running away from JJ. Whom Kayla now refers to as "that boy" and whom she insists "has to" stop comparing Daniel to Jack because Daniel's "not a monster, and Jack was ... all too human." Newsflash, Dr. Johnson--JJ doesn't "have to" stop anything when it comes to Daniel vs. Jack. He has as much right to his feelings as you have to yours. As it is, neither of you is 100% right or 100% wrong--about either man.

The news that Daniel may be leaving to visit Melanie is welcome. I just wish I believed it was going to happen. And I'd be ecstatic if it were permanent, but I'd settle for him being offscreen for the duration of JJ's story.
So wait? Kayla's not 100% right when she says that Daniel is not a monster and Jack was all too human? How is that out of line? How is that telling Daniel he is perfect? When has she EVER said he was perfect? Just because she's his friend has never meant that she thought he was perfect.

And sure, JJ has a right to his feelings but why is Kayla required to coddle them when they aren't based on the truth? Daniel is not, and has not been, the monster that JJ has painted him to be -- especially not to JJ. Jack was not perfect, was not a saint, and the pedestal that JJ has placed him on is not a place Jack would have ever been comfortable with.

Kayla has every right - in fact more right than anybody - to her feelings and, god forbid, to be human herself when it comes to her feelings about Jack. She's not the villain in this piece. She was the victim and if she wants to shout out what Jack did from the rooftops she has that right. It is not her duty or obligation to protect Jack's legacy by hiding the truth or coddling his son's na´ve view of the man. Yet, she's done that pretty much since the rape happened. She put her feelings aside so Steve could have a relationship with his brother, even to the point of letting her rapist be the best man at her wedding. And yet, she makes one slip and dares not to drink the Kool-Aid that Jack is awesome and Daniel is a monster and now she's the villain. Sorry, I don't buy it.
Yeah!

I hate Daniel. Everybody knows I hate Daniel! Everybody DOES know that, right?

I don't hate him because he's evil. He isn't. In lots of ways, he'd be considered a good guy. If the show would have somebody call Daniel on some of his worst faults, I probably wouldn't dislike him as much as I do, but their tendency to have everyone tell me what a great guy he is without balancing it out with his faults is a fail for me.

And really, he's not all that interesting. No layers. No lessons to learn. No changing world view. No growth. All we've seen is him going from woman to woman.

Not much to interest there.

But, that said, Kayla was on target. I think she's spent most of her life doing what others wanted, putting much of her own pain aside, shrugging it off...trying to look forward. But that pain is still there, and guess what? People still want her to keep quiet.

Who cares about you, Kayla? Protect Jack's memory. Protect JJ. Shove all your feelings aside. They don't matter. Everybody ELSE's feelings matter. And, hey, JJ's mistakes are fine. Understandable. Jack's mistake that you clearly remember the pain of shouldn't be held against him in any way, shape, or form anymore. Not even in the smallest corner of your heart.

Keep quiet. It's ancient history. Look out for other people. Do for them all the time. Support them. Listen to them. So what if they never ask you how YOU are?

Edited by Kriss4, Oct 3 2013, 08:34 PM.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Keith
Oct 3 2013, 02:45 PM
I was hysterical when Sami and Stefano were fighting over Wagner. I honestly wish that, instead of making them stay there, Stefano had kicked them out and cut EJ off. The problem being that he would want to be near his grandchildren. But even then, Stefano is so much better cut off from his family, because no matter how many times he claims to love his family, his actions speak louder and differently from those claims.
I used to love when Stefano would disappear for months then pop up with a new scheme, or died and came back months later risen from the ashes. I hate that he lives in Salem and wants his family around him. There is no mystery left to Stefano now that he's just an old man who loves being a grandpa. Granted I have enjoyed the way he has made his petrie dish baby grovel and hand over his life and children and girlfriend, but it's not enough to hold my attention or respect.

Romancer66

Kinay
Oct 3 2013, 07:47 PM
Romancer66
esp13
Romancer66
I saw it as Kayla trying to get JJ to go home or talk to his Mom. JJ's the one making it about Daniel and how he'll never take his father's place, even though that's not what Daniel is trying to do. Kayla tried to reason with him that Daniel is not the problem here and that is when she let it slip about Jack not being so perfect. I didn't see it as Daniel propping either but then again neither do I dislike his character to the point of getting pissed every time someone mentions his name. I don't see any of JJ's problems as being Daniel's fault and Kayla has every right to feel the way she does about Jack.
Kayla's right to whatever feelings she has about Jack is not under debate. But neither should JJ's feelings about his father--or Daniel for that matter--be under debate. And I maintain that it's not anyone else's place to change this kid's mind or heart about either man. From a storytelling standpoint, I'm more concerned that no one in JJ's family has managed to get through to him because no one's asking the right questions. Namely, why are you doing this? And just what are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Too much attention is being paid to the behavior, and not the reasons for it. The symptoms are being treated, instead of the disease. And I doubt the emerging sturm und drang about Jack's past is going to change that approach, I'm sorry to say.

Kriss4

The Scorpion
Oct 3 2013, 04:36 PM
I'm so over JJ and blah blah blah and what happened 30 years ago, sorry but this story is not interesting maybe because I do not find the characters interesting in this story. or rather, I could care less, Today's topnotch scenes not unexpected, EJ and Sami, Stefano. in my opinion ..)
I personally welcome the chance to talk about someone ELSE for a change.

Do we not see EJ almost every day? Don't EJs fans get opportunities to sing out their praises for every EJ scene?

Nah. I'm glad enough to get to see Kayla, JJ, and the Deveraux clan hash this out.

Kriss4

Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 08:16 PM
Kinay
Romancer66
esp13

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepI
Kayla's right to whatever feelings she has about Jack is not under debate. But neither should JJ's feelings about his father--or Daniel for that matter--be under debate. And I maintain that it's not anyone else's place to change this kid's mind or heart about either man. From a storytelling standpoint, I'm more concerned that no one in JJ's family has managed to get through to him because no one's asking the right questions. Namely, why are you doing this? And just what are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Too much attention is being paid to the behavior, and not the reasons for it. The symptoms are being treated, instead of the disease. And I doubt the emerging sturm und drang about Jack's past is going to change that approach, I'm sorry to say.
I like this post.

Somebody needs to get through to JJ. He doesn't have to love Daniel, but it would be better for him if he'd stop using Daniel as his excuse for treating his mom the way he has.

I just hope Daniel isn't in this anymore.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Does respecting someone's feelings mean protecting them from other facts that might be contrary to their feelings?

Does it mean that it would be disrespectful to tell Kayla anything negative about Dan, since she likes him?

Living in the world sometimes means you get hit with information that challenges your thoughts and beliefs.

Kriss4

granolagirl
Oct 3 2013, 05:16 PM
Romancer66
Oct 3 2013, 05:05 PM
the predator who screws his patients and who actively pursued another man's wife, believing himself entitled to her just because he wanted her
I watched Danloe and enjoyed it. In no way was it not a mutual attraction, or was Chloe (Lucas' wife of five minutes after they sexed each other up in an elevator during a power outage) Lucas' property to be taken.

I'm not a fan of everything Daniel has done, but I have never seen Daniel do anything comparable to raping a woman, imprisoning her and terrorizing her in her apartment, hiring goons to beat someone up, defunding public programs to toy with people he resented, or having industrial practices in his business that led to anyone's cancer. The worst thing I can think that Daniel did was lie in a professional hearing to protect a friend.
Yeah.

That's all true.

I still hate him, though.

I just understand why Kayla doesn't. He's never hurt her. He's easy going (at work anyway), and he's probably a great co-worker.

Kriss4

Romancer66
Kinay
Romancer66
esp13

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepI
JJ can have whatever feelings he wants, but those feelings are causing him to mess up his OWN life.

And Daniel isn't evil. He's often annoying. He's weak. He's rather self-centered on a regular basis. He's fickle. He's shallow. He has no self-awareness.

JJ shouldn't let negative feelings about Daniel affect his decision making in his own life.

He's not smart to give hating Daniel that much power.

Romancer66

Kriss4
Oct 3 2013, 08:26 PM
Romancer66
Kinay
Romancer66

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepIaudience. Which is more the fault of TPTB, but I tend to find all characters less sympathetic when they push Daniel at me, not just Kayla. It's as obnoxious as a door-to-door salesman who just Won't. Go. Away.
I like this post.

Somebody needs to get through to JJ. He doesn't have to love Daniel, but it would be better for him if he'd stop using Daniel as his excuse for treating his mom the way he has.

I just hope Daniel isn't in this anymore.
I agree that it's not healthy for JJ to be so fixated on Daniel. Hey, it's not healthy for anyone to be so fixated on Daniel, so when can they implement a 12-step program for the 90% of Salem obsessed with the Orange One and his on-again, off-again relationship with Jennifer? Kidding aside, though, JJ needs redirection and a whole lot of attention that he should have gotten from his mother after his father's death. As it is, it's painful to see Jennifer's ineffectuality as a parent brought to light. Her combination of hand-wringing, scolding, shaming, and lamenting how JJ's not the sweet little boy who loved her (self-centered, much? It's not all about you, Jen-Jen.) would be ineffective on a pet rock. What I think could work is have one of his relatives buck Jennifer's edict about not giving him a place to stay but insist that he actively work for his room and board. Give him a strict schedule, stay around to make sure he does what he's supposed to do, lay down a no-tolerance policy when it comes to drugs, keep him too busy to get into trouble, and above all, talk to him and get to know the person he is now, instead of idly wishing for him to go back to being the person he was before.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

To me, Daniel is a lot like Mike Horton (the Critchlow version) when they brought him to the forefront and paired him with Carrie. Both are doctors that should be supporting players. Do their doctoring and have family interactions, and maybe a relationship, but not front burner.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply