Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Drake Hogestyn Back!
Topic Started: Oct 21 2013, 12:48 PM (9,605 Views)
metitle
Member Avatar

This is great news. John is back.
Maybe Eileen will change her mind and come back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Keith
Oct 21 2013, 01:13 PM
If John Black doesn't have to pay dearly for his residual feeling for Kristen and what it did to his relationship with Marlena, I don't think any J&M fan will be pleased.
I would hope that goes for anyone who is a "shipper". Why would you want two characters together if it's build on something shitty, or if they bring each other down?

I'm not really a John fan (I used to be, they fucked up his entire history and ruined parts of the character for me, to be honest), but I am a John & Marlena fan. And I truly believe that in their essence, and when written as John & Marlena, they are the most beautiful pairing on TV - in any medium. It's not even a competition. But there needs to be restoration for John. I'd be happy to see Marlena be a part of it, in a major way, but before she allows him to be her husband again, he has to become the John worthy of her love.

I've always rooted for John & Marlena, but I haven't always wanted them to be... together. Because of his behaviour, the writing for his has been horrendous at times.
Edited by The Room Stops, Oct 21 2013, 01:49 PM.

six
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Oct 21 2013, 01:45 PM
Ellie
Oct 21 2013, 01:02 PM
six
Oct 21 2013, 12:59 PM
RIP interesting Marlena. It's been fun.
Marlena's storyline with Kristen is wrapping up (I mean, we know this based on Eileen leaving if nothing else), and what we have to go on is Corday's statement that she'll be Eric and Sami's mother. I'm a J&M fan but regardless, I think anything with John is going to be much more interesting than repeated convos in the coffeehouse with Sami.
and let's face it...Marlena hasn't been interesting....she's been independently trying to stick it to Kristen, defend/protect Brady, etc...but aside from one or two scenes with Victor and Nicole...she's been far from interesting....

I prefer some real angst....the Kristen/Marlena dynamic should have been great...it hasn't been though.
I found her quite interesting. I enjoyed her more than I have in, oh, about six years.

Keith
Member Avatar

I would love if somehow he was still screwed up in the head by the Jawn months and then whatever he was injected with. It would be a beginning, but I wouldn't want it to absolve John, either. He would have to acknowledge it and work to change it - fight to be the man Marlena deserves.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

six
Oct 21 2013, 01:48 PM
LuvingLumi
Ellie
six
Marlena's storyline with Kristen is wrapping up (I mean, we know this based on Eileen leaving if nothing else), and what we have to go on is Corday's statement that she'll be Eric and Sami's mother. I'm a J&M fan but regardless, I think anything with John is going to be much more interesting than repeated convos in the coffeehouse with Sami.
and let's face it...Marlena hasn't been interesting....she's been independently trying to stick it to Kristen, defend/protect Brady, etc...but aside from one or two scenes with Victor and Nicole...she's been far from interesting....

I prefer some real angst....the Kristen/Marlena dynamic should have been great...it hasn't been though.
I found her quite interesting. I enjoyed her more than I have in, oh, about six years.
I think she's been just there....like I said, I liked the Nicole/Marlena and Victor/Marlena exchanges...but this isn't a story for her...it's been a few scenes....and it'll be a few more scenes at the reveal.....I want Marlena to have a story...I want vets to have a story..it's possible, it happens with other shows and it can happen with Days.

ETA: You know what I would have loved to see....and I think this show fails in the planning ahead thing. If they decided to rest the character because they were fed up with Drake, then they should have done it and worked at a story for Marlena while he was gone...buid it in a believable way so that fans actually have something to look forward to in the future. For example, they could have really utilized bringing back Bill Horton around the time that they wrote John out.....that way he was here for JJ and Jen....have him and Marlena get close and then have Kate shifted out of the story with Rafe/Jordan into the one with Marlena and Bill.....play that out a bit as a triangle and bring John back to fight for Marlena and to prove to her how wrong he was.....give it some depth, some thought....but unfortunately this show refuses to write for the other 50 crowd and that is a failure on this show....it could have been a really good story, with a powerhouse worth of acting....but nope, they can't do that....
Edited by LuvingLumi, Oct 21 2013, 01:56 PM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

John Black deserves a bigger splash than just fizzling out. That said, Drake's acting has gotten painful to watch, and don't think I say that with glee. I've always had a soft spot for him, found him very likable and thought he had a lot of charisma and chemistry with his costars. But it's just ... not there any more.

Regarding Marlena: I will go on record and say I don't think she was a doormat. She was in love with this man for a long time, sometimes human beings aren't always fabulous and sassy and walking around town in boots listening to Nancy Sinatra. That said, the ball is totally in John's court to patch things up. I like Dee better apart from Drake, but Marlena, I can respect her history with John and think a couple whose romance has been so integral to the show for so long should get a decent story.

Tammy
Member Avatar

I would like him to come back and say, "I was with Bo, Belle and Shawn on their boat. And I hate to tell you all this but Bo fell overboard and is presumed dead!" Make his return give Hope a storyline as well lol.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Oct 21 2013, 01:52 PM
six
Oct 21 2013, 01:48 PM
LuvingLumi
Ellie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

I think she's been just there....like I said, I liked the Nicole/Marlena and Victor/Marlena exchanges...but this isn't a story for her...it's been a few scenes....and it'll be a few more scenes at the reveal.....I want Marlena to have a story...I want vets to have a story..it's possible, it happens with other shows and it can happen with Days.
To be fair though, has Marlena had a story since... the Serial Killer days? And I don't know if I'd even call that a Marlena story most of the time. Alex wasn't really about... her. John's death was about Sami. Jawn was about him.

peaches179

lysie
Oct 21 2013, 01:10 PM
six
Oct 21 2013, 01:08 PM
Ellie
six
I disagree, simply because for the most part, the Marlena who interacts with John is the Marlena that drives me up the wall, (seriously, I've thought I hated her since they reunited, but apparently John has been the problem this whole time), but I'm glad you folks will have your couple back.
I'm not.

Neither am I. I'm a J/M fan. The writing on this show is just so bad right now.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 21 2013, 01:31 PM
lysie
Oct 21 2013, 01:27 PM
Ellie
Oct 21 2013, 01:25 PM
lysie
Oct 21 2013, 01:23 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
If you're saying you might prefer Roman & Marlena scenes to John & Marlena scenes in whatever context, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
Yeah. I mean, she gets to have a backbone in scenes with Winston. And Winston sucks but at least he's awake when they're filming. But those pics started months ago before the Sami shooting story started and they haven't had that many scenes together.
Ok. Let me know if you want pics for a Winston/Marlena banner.
Nah. My banner is for pretty people.

lysie
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Ellie
six

She hasn't been on enough to be interesting but she does have more life in her than she did in the spring.

peaches179

SoapGal1
Oct 21 2013, 01:44 PM
Well, there goes Marlena's face.

Forever lost to the suckage of Johns mouth.

LMAO!!!

Wow. This thread is getting more attention than the actually show today. LOL.
Edited by peaches179, Oct 21 2013, 02:10 PM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I am glad Drake is back...but wow do they have an incredible amount of damage to repair to his character and to Jarlena!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Also can we get a CLASSIC John/Marlena/Stefano storyline this time....this is when Jarlena is at their best.

jdawg1077

From a storyline standpoint, I almost hope they find some way to explain away John's rotten behavior to Marlena and his supposed "lingering feelings" for Kristen. It was so terribly written, and so untrue to his character, that I would even settle for the most far-fetched and idiotic plot point: a brain tumor, his meds were off, or he had no choice due to a super-secret ISA plan which required him to become nonJohn. I'm willing to suspend disbelief, as long as two things are fixed: 1. John would never have intentionally treated Marlena that way. 2. John would never have residual feelings for Kristen. And this is not coming from a J&M shipper. This is coming from a 30+ year Days viewer who values character consistency. The rest of the story was solid, but that aspect of it was a slap-in-the-face to longtime viewers. Until they resolve those 2 points, nothing will ring true.

Ellie

Mitchapalooza
Oct 21 2013, 02:07 PM
I am glad Drake is back...but wow do they have an incredible amount of damage to repair to his character and to Jarlena!
Right. And I don't think they will - I'm agreeing with those who say there will be one or two throwaway scenes, if that. Who knows, he may not even interact with Marlena that much - if Corday's "superspy" comment means anything (and of course it might not), he could be spun into a whole new storyline. But with every pic Deidre posts of JT, I just cringe, and that combined with Corday's "Sami and Eric's mother" statement has me very scared. These writers do something well, which I don't think serves Marlena well, and that's family scenes. They seem to be very into reminding us who everyone's father and mother and siblings and aunts and uncles are. I REALLY don't want "Brady family" scenes with Marlena, JT and children. If we get that after Eileen leaves, then even if Drake's acting isn't up to par, I'll welcome him back. Marlena has a husband who, imo, is MUCH more interesting than her son and daughter and ex. (Eric could be interesting, but for now, he isn't.) Marlena/Kristen is great, but that will be ending.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I love working with Kristian. She's wonderful and fantastic." ~ DC

Tammy
Oct 21 2013, 01:54 PM
I would like him to come back and say, "I was with Bo, Belle and Shawn on their boat. And I hate to tell you all this but Bo fell overboard and is presumed dead!" Make his return give Hope a storyline as well lol.
or: "Shane contacted me and told me that Bo had gone undercover for him but had not been in contact for weeks. I offered to go look for Bo, and unfortunately I found that he was kidnapped and tortured. At this point, he is presumed dead."
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mirage75
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Oct 21 2013, 01:44 PM
Well, there goes Marlena's face.

Forever lost to the suckage of Johns mouth.
LMAO! there's an imagine I don't ever want to see between those two. Ewwww.... I can see that this show will be off my DVR for the new year. If it only meant that he was coming back for her and reunite and off to sunset together. I would be happier about this, but I'm not that lucky.

Congrats to the Drake fans though. Enjoy! :)
Edited by Mirage75, Oct 21 2013, 02:17 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 21 2013, 02:14 PM
Mitchapalooza
Oct 21 2013, 02:07 PM
Right. And I don't think they will - I'm agreeing with those who say there will be one or two throwaway scenes, if that. Who knows, he may not even interact with Marlena that much - if Corday's "superspy" comment means anything (and of course it might not), he could be spun into a whole new storyline. But with every pic Deidre posts of JT, I just cringe, and that combined with Corday's "Sami and Eric's mother" statement has me very scared. These writers do something well, which I don't think serves Marlena well, and that's family scenes. They seem to be very into reminding us who everyone's father and mother and siblings and aunts and uncles are. I REALLY don't want "Brady family" scenes with Marlena, JT and children. If we get that after Eileen leaves, then even if Drake's acting isn't up to par, I'll welcome him back. Marlena has a husband who, imo, is MUCH more interesting than her son and daughter and ex. (Eric could be interesting, but for now, he isn't.) Marlena/Kristen is great, but that will be ending.
Yeah. Marlena with her family and the father of two of her children doesn't bother me a bit. It's about the only appropriate way to truly integrate characters on a show like this. When they were off the show, those were the interactions that were really lacking.

Tammy
Member Avatar

It's so sad that a show sucks SO HARD that in one breath fans of a character are glad he's back, and then in the next breath they are worried because heaven only knows how these writers will write for him! :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply