Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Drake Hogestyn Back!
Topic Started: Oct 21 2013, 12:48 PM (9,914 Views)
Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Jarlena-Holic

tylerbo20
Oct 23 2013, 09:18 PM
Days wont ever do a good storyline for marlena ...a cancer storyline look at the joke the alzhemers storyline and abe and lexi's son...and kate had cancer days cant do those type of storylines...we will be lucky if marlena is kidnaped again before the show is off the air
Ah...a kidnapping. Now, that takes me back. :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
What a beautiful couple!

The Room Stops
Oct 23 2013, 07:13 PM
Mitchapalooza
Oct 23 2013, 05:39 PM
I would absolutely LOVE a cancer type storyline for Marlena...Deidre Hall needs something to sink her teeth into, something that is ABOUT Marlena.

Hall needs to win an Emmy before this show goes off the air!
It's a ridiculous fact that she hasn't. I can name 10 storylines just off the top of my head that she deserved it for.
I agree. It just blows my mind that she hasn't won at least one. I mean she's been on the show for over 30 years, she deserves something. I just don't understand how Chandler could have already won two Emmy's and he has only been on the show for a couple of years. He was deserving of them of course but it's almost a crime against nature that Deidre hasn't won ANY!!!! She has been on Days half her life and she deserves one! :hail:

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

i<3ddjmalways
Oct 23 2013, 10:15 PM
The Room Stops
Mitchapalooza
I would absolutely LOVE a cancer type storyline for Marlena...Deidre Hall needs something to sink her teeth into, something that is ABOUT Marlena.

It's a ridiculous fact that she hasn't. I can name 10 storylines just off the top of my head that she deserved it for.
I agree. It just blows my mind that she hasn't won at least one. I mean she's been on the show for over 30 years, she deserves something. I just don't understand how Chandler could have already won two Emmy's and he has only been on the show for a couple of years. He was deserving of them of course but it's almost a crime against nature that Deidre hasn't won ANY!!!! She has been on Days half her life and she deserves one! :hail:
It's because she is a Days star. Days has had a lot of talent pass through its doors in the last forty-eight years, but because the Emmy's have never taken the show seriously most of them haven't got credit for their work. The fact that Kristian Alfonso didn't even get nominated in 2006 is a crime.

Tammy
Member Avatar

If they can GIVE Susan Lucci a pitty Emmy... Deidre has more then EARNED one!

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza

The voting pool continues to shrink since we only have four shows on the air, so there is always a chance. This year I guarantee Eileen Davidson will be up for an Emmy. We will be lucky to see Deidre have a supporting nomination, which is infuriating when you consider how much material Deidre should have had considering Kristen is back. Marlena is a shadow character, and the only justice is
Spoiler: click to toggle

With Drake back, we may have some good material next year, and I feel there is a good possibility for a story line if we get lucky.

I just wish we would get a good writing team and quick. They have misused every character on this show, with a few exceptions. The sad thing is, when you look at the talent pool out there, we have no good writers to pull from in the industry. Even with GL, ATWT, AMC, and OLTL off the air, there isn't much talent and hacks finished off most of them.

Lorraine Broderick taking the top spot would not offend me. I think she would be a step up from Tomlin/Whitesell. She is already on staff, so just push them out and let her helm the show. From what I have seen of her work in the past, she does honor a show's history and writes for good characters, and ensures they are in character.

lysie
Member Avatar

Because of the shrinking voting pool and the process itself, I don't really care if anyone gets an Emmy, but Deidre doesn't even have a chance if they continue giving her material like what's she's gotten since returning.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

Lorraine Broderick also wrote the final few months as well as the finale of "All My Children" - the work she did in that short time was in my opinion, astounding. If she were to take the helm at Days, given that she knows the characters and has been on staff for a long time, I think she could do good things, provided the suits at NBC and Ken Corday gave her a chance.

King
Member Avatar

Thank GOD. The show has been so blatantly been missing a male lead in that age group.

Salem needs John Black.

quesla

So I have mixed feelings about this on one hand I am over the moon because I love J and M on the other hand I hated Drake's behaviour his last stint and I hated the way John behaved. alot of talk of a cancer storyline for M & J i pray they don't go that way to much damage has been done to his character and Marlena has been to bashed , degraded and disrespected for John to be allowed to run to the rescue.Marlena has needed him for the past year and he was misssing. John needs to redeem himself in his own eyes his kids and then work it out with marlena .he needs to have to setback and watch her have a life and relationship with someone worthy of the competition and let him grieve for his stupidity and everything they lost.He doesn't have the right to be trusted to see her through a cancer story not now. as a fan of J&M they have so much untold story that needs to be told .they need good creative writers.

King
Member Avatar

P.S. Peter Reckell next please!

Or Matt Ashford.

Or God...anyone. LOL.

blueskies
Member Avatar

King
Oct 24 2013, 08:41 PM
Thank GOD. The show has been so blatantly been missing a male lead in that age group.

Salem needs John Black.
it really does seem like the current Days writers hate men in their 50s-60s. I honestly can't think of a single one on the show currently.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

blueskies
Oct 25 2013, 01:43 PM
King
Oct 24 2013, 08:41 PM

Salem needs John Black.
it really does seem like the current Days writers hate men in their 50s-60s. I honestly can't think of a single one on the show currently.
Does Winston count?

GatesRhiannon
Member Avatar

Does he ever?
Edited by GatesRhiannon, Oct 25 2013, 05:15 PM.

outrageous
Member Avatar

I wonder if John is coming back to kill Kristen.

Tammy
Member Avatar

outrageous
Oct 25 2013, 10:22 PM
I wonder if John is coming back to kill Kristen.
I highly doubt it since he won't be seen until like the end of February lol.

tylerbo20

Dh not getting nominated when John died killed me ed loosing to Cynthia waltros killed me Emmys kill me

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

tylerbo20
Oct 26 2013, 10:57 AM
Dh not getting nominated when John died killed me ed loosing to Cynthia waltros killed me Emmys kill me
Deidre had a full weeks worth of reels when John "died" and it blew my mind the bias it showed when she wasn't even nominated! It really revolves around the Emmy's being scared of "popularity". Deidre is the "Days" actress, and for years Days was penalized for having such a rabid fan base, because quite honestly the show rocked and we were vocal. Look at the "Soap Opera Digest Awards", which by the way were totally fan based. Days RULED them for years, and swept the awards in 1993 when Deidre Hall won best Actress (again). Envy can be a green eyed monster.

Now About The "Guiding Light" Ripoff of "Days of Our Lives" John/Marlena/Kristen Story

Cynthia Watros winning on a rip off story line based off the story Eileen was doing on Days was past atrocious and made me tune the awards show out for three years. I got that pissed. I was an avid "Guiding Light" viewer and fan, and about six to eight months after the John/Marlena/Kristen saga started, "GL" started a Josh/Reva/ (and I forget Watros' character's name now) story line about a fake pregnancy. Eileen did the best story line, acted the best, and did it on the soap with the top demographics in daytime, at a steady #2 in viewers out of 12 soaps, and a soap that had almost 3 x's the amount of viewers as "GL"! Even with that going for her, Eileen, the best and original, lost. She out acted Cynthia in every single way, even in ripped of scenes "Days" had done three months earlier.

I watched both at the time, and despite "Days" being my all time favorite soap by far, I watched "ATWT" and "GL" for years. I never liked GH, and I loved the Procter and Gamble soaps when they were true to themselves. There were moments I even enjoyed "GL" more than Days (Alexandra busting Roger and Molly in front of everyone..one of the best Daytime scenes I have ever watched), but that whole story with GL trying to mimic "Days" success was a farce, and started GL down a track in which it lost it's identity.

I love Kim Zimmer and Roger Newman, but "Days" had four things going in their original story "GL" didn't have in theirs:
Deidre Hall, Drake Hogestyn, Eileen Davidson, and James Reilly Checkmate.

tylerbo20

she played crazy Annie who was trying to kill Reva I think she pushed her out of a plane I watched the same time...days was my fave and I always watched the soap awards because they won them all..

Rosebud
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Oct 23 2013, 08:52 AM
lysie
Oct 22 2013, 08:47 PM
I've wanted a breast cancer type story for her for years. They always seem to put the focus more on John which, IMO, is just absolutely moronic. Health crisis stories for older couples have the added benefit of not having to necessarily be the A story. It can be the focus sometimes, but it can also easily be a B or C story at other times. Also, it affects the kids. So while a parental cancer story doesn't have to be ABOUT the couple's child, it can affect their story and characterization, too. It's such a good way to bridge the gap between generations when it's done right and not wrapped up in a few weeks (i.e. Lexie and Bo). Plus it gives powerful material to the half of the couple who can actually act. Actually, it'd give powerful material to a lot of people.
Yep. This has been my issue. I mean, I love John & Marlena, obviously, but Marlena is far more interesting as a character to me. She still has so much un-used (word? no?), or rather, history that hasn't been explored. She still has four missing years post-plane in 87.

It's just time to give Marlena some meaty story. Even when they came back, Marlena was supporting in John's story and in Will's, she didn't have any of her own. And then when the embezzling was over, they gave yet another one to John. Even the Kristen stuff was more about John than Marlena.

Like you said, it could give powerful material to a lot of characters, because Marlena, in some way or other, has had interaction with pretty much any character on canvas (that matters).
My problem with a cancer story is that this show has a history of not being very good at those kind of stories, IMO. They can only seem to concentrate on that kind of story for short time periods. I don't trust them to do it right.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

i<3ddjmalways
Oct 23 2013, 10:15 PM
The Room Stops
Mitchapalooza

The Emmys are political, and the only reason Days has recently won any is because the number of shows is so small now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply