Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Drake Hogestyn Back!
Topic Started: Oct 21 2013, 12:48 PM (10,102 Views)
Rosebud
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Oct 25 2013, 02:12 PM
blueskies
Oct 25 2013, 01:43 PM
King
Oct 24 2013, 08:41 PM
Thank GOD. The show has been so blatantly been missing a male lead in that age group.

Salem needs John Black.
it really does seem like the current Days writers hate men in their 50s-60s. I honestly can't think of a single one on the show currently.
Does Winston count?
NO, LOL

Being the bosses' buddy doesn't count.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rosebud
Member Avatar

tylerbo20
Oct 26 2013, 10:57 AM
Dh not getting nominated when John died killed me ed loosing to Cynthia waltros killed me Emmys kill me
The Emmys are stupid. I couldn't care less about them. Days winning this year only made me laugh.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

I refuse to think about the great possibilities there are in Drake's return. I refuse to get my hopes up. I've been burned by this show WAY too much. Right now I'm just glad he's coming back. I'll be happy to see Deidre and him in scenes again, period, that's all.

hops
Member Avatar

Rosebud
Oct 28 2013, 10:50 AM
I refuse to think about the great possibilities there are in Drake's return. I refuse to get my hopes up. I've been burned by this show WAY too much. Right now I'm just glad he's coming back. I'll be happy to see Deidre and him in scenes again, period, that's all.
Me to!! That is all.

Kaycee

YESSSSSSS,,,, I;m So happy, About time, now I can tune in regular next year instead of now and then.

AFaithL

lysie
Oct 21 2013, 12:56 PM
If Marlena grovels to him, I'm throwing my tv and my laptop out my window.
Hell, if Marlena goes back to him within 3 months, I will throw something at my tv. And unless he recants the LIE about having had some sort of residual feelings for Kristen this past year, I want her moving on with a younger guy. John can fight for her for the next year.

AFaithL

Keith
Oct 21 2013, 01:13 PM
If John Black doesn't have to pay dearly for his residual feeling for Kristen and what it did to his relationship with Marlena, I don't think any J&M fan will be pleased.
Yep. He's gonna have to admit that he was just playin' her or something. And admit that he NEVER did have any sort of residual feelings for Kristen after all. Cuz it's rewritten history. Otherwise, if I'm supposed to accept that is true, then by-bye.

AFaithL

Rosebud
Oct 21 2013, 03:03 PM
LuvingLumi
Oct 21 2013, 01:52 PM
six
Oct 21 2013, 01:48 PM
LuvingLumi
Oct 21 2013, 01:45 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I found her quite interesting. I enjoyed her more than I have in, oh, about six years.
I think she's been just there....like I said, I liked the Nicole/Marlena and Victor/Marlena exchanges...but this isn't a story for her...it's been a few scenes....and it'll be a few more scenes at the reveal.....I want Marlena to have a story...I want vets to have a story..it's possible, it happens with other shows and it can happen with Days.

ETA: You know what I would have loved to see....and I think this show fails in the planning ahead thing. If they decided to rest the character because they were fed up with Drake, then they should have done it and worked at a story for Marlena while he was gone...buid it in a believable way so that fans actually have something to look forward to in the future. For example, they could have really utilized bringing back Bill Horton around the time that they wrote John out.....that way he was here for JJ and Jen....have him and Marlena get close and then have Kate shifted out of the story with Rafe/Jordan into the one with Marlena and Bill.....play that out a bit as a triangle and bring John back to fight for Marlena and to prove to her how wrong he was.....give it some depth, some thought....but unfortunately this show refuses to write for the other 50 crowd and that is a failure on this show....it could have been a really good story, with a powerhouse worth of acting....but nope, they can't do that....
I don't like the bill Horton option, but I wouldn't have minded Marlena dating someone new and the have John come back having to fight for her.
They never give John any real competition. And no one believes Roman could ever be a threat, so John becomes the default person, because the alternative is too awful to think about.

If this show was smart, they'd give fans another alternative than John to root for.

Keith
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 5 2013, 04:01 PM
Keith
If John Black doesn't have to pay dearly for his residual feeling for Kristen and what it did to his relationship with Marlena, I don't think any J&M fan will be pleased.
Yep. He's gonna have to admit that he was just playin' her or something. And admit that he NEVER did have any sort of residual feelings for Kristen after all. Cuz it's rewritten history. Otherwise, if I'm supposed to accept that is true, then by-bye.
Every time I hear that its rewritten history, I balk. Kristen was not just a placeholder for Marlena. No more than any other woman who wasn't Marlena ever was. Kristen was no Isabella in the grand scheme of John Black love affairs, but I don't think you can argue that he didn't love the woman. I think her deceit broke a lot of things for John, but I can believe that there were things left unresolved by the way things ended. Marlena and John shared scenes reflecting on that during the Killing Pool.

Do I believe that he would have dropped Kristen in a second if he knew about the letter when he was on death row - when Marlena wrote it? Maybe. I feel like a lot John and Marlena fans have this all or nothing vibe when it comes to the two of them, but both have had passionate love with other people. It just doesn't compare to what they have together.

Doesn't mean I don't want Marlena to kick his ass for playing her.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Daysfanatic79
Oct 23 2013, 07:47 PM
The Room Stops
Oct 23 2013, 07:13 PM
Mitchapalooza
Oct 23 2013, 05:39 PM
I would absolutely LOVE a cancer type storyline for Marlena...Deidre Hall needs something to sink her teeth into, something that is ABOUT Marlena.

Hall needs to win an Emmy before this show goes off the air!
It's a ridiculous fact that she hasn't. I can name 10 storylines just off the top of my head that she deserved it for.
In the 1980's she was nominated three times, and I thought for sure she would win with the reel of Bo telling her he left Roman on the beach. That was just a hideous close call that should have given her the statue.

Then, the affair with John and Belle being announced as John's daughter came along, and she wasn't even nominated. She played those scenes with such conviction and it was electric, but still there was not even an Emmy nod for the work. It astounded me at the time, because to this day, I think the way she portrayed Marlena during the affair saga was her best work. It literally turned an entire fan base on it's head and made us rethink what we thought was obvious. I went in with a feeling that she should be with Roman, and by the time she and Drake were through, I wanted Roman out of her world. That is an amazing performance.
That year was an INSANELY competitive year among the Leading Actresses at the Emmy's...I believe Kim Zimmer won that year with her "slut of springfield" episode...I may be wrong though on which of those 3 years it was.

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
Deidre and Drake-Day of Days 2014

Keith
Nov 5 2013, 05:09 PM
AFaithL
Keith
Every time I hear that its rewritten history, I balk. Kristen was not just a placeholder for Marlena. No more than any other woman who wasn't Marlena ever was. Kristen was no Isabella in the grand scheme of John Black love affairs, but I don't think you can argue that he didn't love the woman. I think her deceit broke a lot of things for John, but I can believe that there were things left unresolved by the way things ended. Marlena and John shared scenes reflecting on that during the Killing Pool.

Do I believe that he would have dropped Kristen in a second if he knew about the letter when he was on death row - when Marlena wrote it? Maybe. I feel like a lot John and Marlena fans have this all or nothing vibe when it comes to the two of them, but both have had passionate love with other people. It just doesn't compare to what they have together.

John wrote the letter to Marlena when he was on death row. He gave it to a guard to give to Marlena. The guard put it in Marlena's bag. When they got back to Salem, Kristen found it, read it, freaked out and hid it. Marlena found it in a book of Kristen's.

Yes, John did love Kristen at one time but his heart and soul always belonged to Marlena. He dreamed about her and pined for her the entire time he was with Kristen. Heck, even when he and Kristen had sex, he dreamed it was Marlena. And after all of Kristen's lies and deceit came out, he dropped her so fast. The hatred he had for Kristen after that was blatantly obvious. He wanted nothing to do with her ever again.

The writing for John now contradicts all that. He believed Kristen had changed and took her word over Marlena's, his wife, and to get Kristen out of Brady's life, he was going to sleep with her and then when he told Marlena why he did it; he said it was because deep down he still had feelings for Kristen. That was a big, fat lie and a total blow to J&M's relationship thus far. If John still had feelings for Kristen all this time, he would have said something, he wouldn't have chosen Marlena over her over and over again. He wouldn't have married Marlena over and over again. TomSell don't care about J&M's history because if they did, they wouldn't have written John the way they did and treat J&M's marriage like dirt on their shoes! :redface:

I'm not holding my breath that things will get better for J&M, I'm just glad that he's back. I am anxious to see him and Deidre in scenes together again. I don't trust TomSell as far as I can throw them. But at least it's a start. :ermmmm:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Oct 24 2013, 07:39 AM
Lorraine Broderick also wrote the final few months as well as the finale of "All My Children" - the work she did in that short time was in my opinion, astounding. If she were to take the helm at Days, given that she knows the characters and has been on staff for a long time, I think she could do good things, provided the suits at NBC and Ken Corday gave her a chance.
As much as I love Lorraine Broderick and would love to see her promoted to Headwriter (with TomSell thrown out on their hacking asses)...she hasn't been on the writing staff long at all and I doubt she knows much history....that is not to say she would not write a fantastic show.

I am sure she knows the current characters, but she is missing a VAST majority of history involving many of the characters that SHOULD be currently on the show.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

tylerbo20
Oct 26 2013, 10:57 AM
Dh not getting nominated when John died killed me ed loosing to Cynthia waltros killed me Emmys kill me
ED losing to Cynthia Watros was VERY hard to swallow....and that is simply because of the performances she gave and just how BIG they were...that being said, if she had to lose to anyone I am glad it was Watros cause she was AMAZING that year as well....I know that Emmy was close (it was gonna be Watros or Davidson)...its just too bad that Davidson had the best year of her career, the same year that Watros did.

AFaithL

i<3ddjmalways
Nov 5 2013, 05:39 PM
Keith
AFaithL
Keith

John wrote the letter to Marlena when he was on death row. He gave it to a guard to give to Marlena. The guard put it in Marlena's bag. When they got back to Salem, Kristen found it, read it, freaked out and hid it. Marlena found it in a book of Kristen's.

Yes, John did love Kristen at one time but his heart and soul always belonged to Marlena. He dreamed about her and pined for her the entire time he was with Kristen. Heck, even when he and Kristen had sex, he dreamed it was Marlena. And after all of Kristen's lies and deceit came out, he dropped her so fast. The hatred he had for Kristen after that was blatantly obvious. He wanted nothing to do with her ever again.

The writing for John now contradicts all that. He believed Kristen had changed and took her word over Marlena's, his wife, and to get Kristen out of Brady's life, he was going to sleep with her and then when he told Marlena why he did it; he said it was because deep down he still had feelings for Kristen. That was a big, fat lie and a total blow to J&M's relationship thus far. If John still had feelings for Kristen all this time, he would have said something, he wouldn't have chosen Marlena over her over and over again. He wouldn't have married Marlena over and over again. TomSell don't care about J&M's history because if they did, they wouldn't have written John the way they did and treat J&M's marriage like dirt on their shoes! :redface:

I'm not holding my breath that things will get better for J&M, I'm just glad that he's back. I am anxious to see him and Deidre in scenes together again. I don't trust TomSell as far as I can throw them. But at least it's a start. :ermmmm:
Not to mention he flat out told Marlena for years and years that she was the only woman is his heart, period. So was he lying from 1999-2012? Or lying now? Either way, I want answers. And if they decide to keep the rewrite that John secretly carried a small torch for Kristen, despite the fact that it was always written differently by all previous headwriters, then I will never fully like his character, no matter what hoops they have him jump through to redeem him. I will never root for Roman and Marlena, but I will never fully like John either.

He's gonna have to repudiate the last year. Not by "being a better father" or "treating Marlena better", but by having a verbal conversation with Marlena that restores the rightful history and repudiates his lies about having feelings for a woman he couldn't have given less of a shit about for decades.

Others are probably just glad he's back. I want the history restored or forgetaboutit.

Keith
Member Avatar

i<3ddjmalways
Keith
AFaithL
Keith

See, I didn't see it quite like that. Opinions are what they are, of course, but still. John and Marlena were clearly endgame. And John felt guilty for using Kristen. His love for her was separate from his love for Marlena. And the deeper Kristen dug in., the more John's feelings for Marlena came to the surface. No doubt about that. The instant hatred stemmed more from John's hurt and his deeply entrenched hate for all things DiMera, but the writing always made it clear to me that John pitied Kristen in the end. That was made very clear during the Killing Pool. I can believe he still felt something for Kristen under all that hate. I just can.

I absolutely loathed his plan, but I (and I understand I'm likely alone in this) understood that there may have still been something there for John. It absolutely didn't work in story, though. And it was a grave betrayal of character. With all the time he spent away from Salem last year, they could have easily set-up John digging things up on Kristen to then set her up when he returned. ISA style, not stupid seduction style. The show chose the Kristen is the victor route when the rooting power should have been with John and Marlena. That would have made John keeping everything from Marlena work. It would have kept Kristen unaware of his plan. That was a big part of my problem with Kristen this go-around - the show has become too much about the celebrated villain. We love villains not because they should be winning all the time, but because they make the heroes that much better.

I, too, am glad he's back. Hopefully he'll be given a chance to redeem himself.

Keith
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 5 2013, 06:01 PM
i<3ddjmalways
Keith
AFaithL

Not to mention he flat out told Marlena for years and years that she was the only woman is his heart, period. So was he lying from 1999-2012? Or lying now? Either way, I want answers. And if they decide to keep the rewrite that John secretly carried a small torch for Kristen, despite the fact that it was always written differently by all previous headwriters, then I will never fully like his character, no matter what hoops they have him jump through to redeem him. I will never root for Roman and Marlena, but I will never fully like John either.

He's gonna have to repudiate the last year. Not by "being a better father" or "treating Marlena better", but by having a verbal conversation with Marlena that restores the rightful history and repudiates his lies about having feelings for a woman he couldn't have given less of a shit about for decades.

Others are probably just glad he's back. I want the history restored or forgetaboutit.
The way I understood it, the feelings for Kristen were a surprise for John. He thought they were dead. So, he wasn't lying from 1999-2012. We also don't know when he stopped thinking Kristen was dead. It was her return that made him see it. Nothing more, nothing less. And honestly, that's super couple writing. Bo said that to Hope plenty, but look at Carly and Billie. Its the kind of thing the man believes in the moment he is saying it because he can't imagine anything but what he has right in that moment.

AFaithL

Keith
Nov 5 2013, 06:09 PM
i<3ddjmalways
Keith
AFaithL

See, I didn't see it quite like that. Opinions are what they are, of course, but still. John and Marlena were clearly endgame. And John felt guilty for using Kristen. His love for her was separate from his love for Marlena. And the deeper Kristen dug in., the more John's feelings for Marlena came to the surface. No doubt about that. The instant hatred stemmed more from John's hurt and his deeply entrenched hate for all things DiMera, but the writing always made it clear to me that John pitied Kristen in the end. That was made very clear during the Killing Pool. I can believe he still felt something for Kristen under all that hate. I just can.

I absolutely loathed his plan, but I (and I understand I'm likely alone in this) understood that there may have still been something there for John. It absolutely didn't work in story, though. And it was a grave betrayal of character. With all the time he spent away from Salem last year, they could have easily set-up John digging things up on Kristen to then set her up when he returned. ISA style, not stupid seduction style. The show chose the Kristen is the victor route when the rooting power should have been with John and Marlena. That would have made John keeping everything from Marlena work. It would have kept Kristen unaware of his plan. That was a big part of my problem with Kristen this go-around - the show has become too much about the celebrated villain. We love villains not because they should be winning all the time, but because they make the heroes that much better.

I, too, am glad he's back. Hopefully he'll be given a chance to redeem himself.
Yes, he "pitied" her. So did Marlena. But he didn't have any romantic feelings for her. And he certainly didn't secretly desire her, either. So either he lied to Marlena for 15 years, by harboring feelings for someone else when he previously said he didn't, or he was just fucked up in the head, lying, and spouting nonsense for the past year.

Keith
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 5 2013, 06:24 PM
... or he was just fucked up in the head, lying, and spouting nonsense for the past year.
I mean, really, John hasn't been himself since before he left in 2009 and I've been waiting for them to go there, story-wise. He got his memory back, but he still feels like "Jawn" to me.

AFaithL

Keith
Nov 5 2013, 06:28 PM
AFaithL
Nov 5 2013, 06:24 PM
... or he was just fucked up in the head, lying, and spouting nonsense for the past year.
I mean, really, John hasn't been himself since before he left in 2009 and I've been waiting for them to go there, story-wise. He got his memory back, but he still feels like "Jawn" to me.
It's the only thing that makes sense. And the only way I'll want Marlena to take him back. Otherwise....no.

But I'm sure TomSell will just have John rescue Marlena from Stefano or have him be the key figure in rescuing Brady from drugs, and expect fans to say "Look! The real John is back!"

Nope. I have a thing with rewrites. I didn't fully like Brady until he took back the rewritten history that Marlena was a shitty mom to him, and I won't like John again until he has a conversation where he explains that what he said made no sense, because he never gave two fucks about Kristen over the last year, either. Both contradicted years of what I saw on screen.

AFaithL

Oh, and I hope Eric remains a royal asshole to him, too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply