Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Murder, She Wrote' Rebooted ... With a Twist
Topic Started: Oct 24 2013, 06:36 PM (367 Views)
Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

Jessica Fletcher is digging her typewriter out of storage... and she looks a lot different this time.

NBC announced today it is rebooting "Murder, She Wrote," with Oscar winner Octavia Spencer in the lead role. The original series, of course, starred Angela Lansbury as mystery writer-turned-detective Jessica Fletcher (a role that earned her a whopping 12 Emmy nominations ó but no wins), and was a staple of CBS's primetime lineup from 1984 to 1996.

The new take on "Murder," from writer Alexandra Cunningham ("Desperate Housewives") and producer David Janollari ("Six Feet Under"), casts Spencer as "a hospital administrator and amateur sleuth who self-publishes her first mystery novel." Spencer said in a statement, "Iíve always considered myself an armchair detective, and in a recent meeting with [NBC entertainment chairman] Bob Greenblatt, he asked me what type of character would be able to lure me to TV. Naturally, I said, 'J.B. Fletcher meets Columbo'Ö and here we are."

Spencer, who took home the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 2011 for playing sassy maid Minny Johnson in "The Help," might seem an unlikely choice to fill Lansbury's shoes. But Spencer has proven she can balance comedy and drama with a wide array of roles, from this year's gut-wrenching indie drama "Fruitvale Station" to a hilarious guest turn on "30 Rock." Plus, this "Murder, She Wrote" is described as "a light, contemporary procedural in the vein of 'Bones' or 'Fargo,'" so her comedy chops should come in handy.

It's important to note, too, that this is a "put pilot," which means NBC has committed to actually airing this version of "Murder, She Wrote," and will face substantial financial penalties if it doesn't. That means NBC is betting big on this reboot actually making it onto its primetime schedule.

Of course, before we get too excited, we should remember the spotty track record of recent TV reboots. For every success ("Hawaii Five-0"), there are four or five misses ("Ironside"). In fact, "Ironside" is a good comparison here: It's another NBC procedural that reimagined a beloved TV classic with a prominent black actor (Blair Underwood) in the lead role. And that got the axe after airing just three episodes this fall.

Will the new "Murder, She Wrote" fare any better? That chapter has yet to be written.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/octavia-spencer-to-star-in-nbc-s--murder--she-wrote--reboot-191637209.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

I used to watch Murder She a Wrote with my dad all the time,it's one of the only things we did together.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

I'm so there for that. I LOVED Murder, She Wrote. And I'm glad they reached out to Angela Lansbury for the reboot. Now if I could get a Diagnosis Murder remake, I'd be on a second cloud nine.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Spencer will be great!

King
Member Avatar

I think this sounds awful. Which probably means it will be a hit. LOL.

rknudson78
Member Avatar

I will not watch it. When her series was on I wanted her crash into the brick wall with her bike.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This right here, and today's rumors about a Charmed reboot, are why I think soaps will never really die. The titles have too much value for them to fade away forever. I mean, they could call this something completely different if they wanted to.

And if "Murder, She Wrote" has some kind of nostalgia pull, I have to believe "All My Children" (for example) does, too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
« Previous Topic · Primetime News & Spoilers · Next Topic »
Add Reply