Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mark Collier joining cast in December
Topic Started: Oct 30 2013, 12:24 PM (10,439 Views)
tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Hamilton
Nov 1 2013, 12:16 PM
tomsawyer
Nov 1 2013, 10:24 AM
Hamilton
Nov 1 2013, 09:50 AM
tomsawyer
Nov 1 2013, 09:18 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I don't get this 'Rafe is rudderless' comment. The guy has an interesting story going on. And it takes awhile to work a character on canvas. Time has to be given to establish relationships and before they can just bop all around town being confidants with everyone. I also don't want them tied to a family as Daniel was with the convoluted egg baby story just to make them 'an essential part of Salem'.
The Rafe is rudderless comment has to do with the fact that he's scarcely been on screen for the past 6 months. That alone tells me that they don't seem to know what to do with him. Even once they decided to bring him out of coma, he's still been backburnered (I'm not complaining, just noticing, LOL). And I think the fact that Rafe basically spent 4+ years in just Sami-driven stories created this issue. Madison had the same exact issue in regards to Brady. And they now seem to be recreating the same issue with Jordan. It's definitely a pattern in terms of how Days introduces new characters, specifically those that don't have familial ties into Salem. That's why Matt's comment above about Liam is spot on. They need to bring him into a story that features lots of characters, not just as a love interest, if they want to make him an essential character.
My comment too was that it would be cool if Liam somehow plays into Jordan's past and pulls Hope and Rafe into the mix. Complicated complex stories are always a win for viewers. No objections there at all.

ETA: Anyway, my intent is not to highjack the thread with a discussion about Rafe. My point was that they need to better integrate Jordan and Liam as more than just love interests to specific characters. They seem to struggle with that IMO and I think Rafe is proof of that.

The fact Rafe hasn't been on as frequently could very well be intentional and not just a 'we don't know what to do with him' approach. Rafe had to be sexually involved with Kate to spur on Stefano and then they had to set up the coma in order to have the big trial for Sami to draw viewers in and it hinged on Rafe being unconscious. His lack of airtime was directly linked to this big story playing out. Chrishell was hired in late February which means they've had this PT route planned out from the get go. I think the limited start to the Rafe/Jordan story is nothing more than the sudden need to wrap stories for the exiting actors and the fact that they want to do an old school slow build for the characters. I don't think Rafe spending time in story with Sami has created any issue here.

But these are all story choices the writers made and their choices led to Rafe not being on the air. He could've been beaten later so he wasn't in a coma for so long. He definitely could've been brought out of the coma earlier. And he could've been featured much more prominently for the last few months once he came out of the coma. Again, I'm not complaining about any of this, LOL, but just pointing out an issue that seems to be consistent whenever TPTB lately create a new character as a love interest who doesn't have familial ties. The person often gets siloed in stories with their love interest and then when the romance is over, they are not integrated as an essential character. The fact that Rafe, who was on non-stop when with Sami, is all of sudden barely on would indicate that they didn't know what to do with him post-Sami. And that seems to be a common issue for new characters who lack family ties. That is, they give them one major anchor and if that major anchor goes away, their lack of integration becomes apparent.

ETA: My intent is not to hijack the thread with a discussion about Rafe. My point is that they need to do a better job of integrating new characters like Jordan and Liam who don't have family ties beyond just their love interest. To me, Rafe is a good example of what happens when they don't.
Edited by tomsawyer, Nov 1 2013, 01:05 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

NocturnalBlondie
Nov 1 2013, 08:46 AM
lysie
Oct 31 2013, 09:31 AM
NocturnalBlondie
Oct 30 2013, 02:26 PM
gailwinters
Oct 30 2013, 01:32 PM

Okay, so if he was interviewed in August he would have known about most (if not all) of the cast departures. Even those that weren't confirmed, since the actors had pretty much openly talked about wanting to do other things in interviews prior to August.
IMO, it was obvious that he was talking about at that time.
Huh?
I thought it was obvious that he meant that they weren't bringing in new people at that exact moment in time.

Also, I think the Rafe issue is a little different. I think one of the reasons he disappeared after they ended Safe was because they had not originally intended on ending Safe. I think it happened kind of suddenly which means they didn't already have things mapped out for what they were going to do with him. And now, I think they're struggling because none of their characters have their own individual identities and they already have someone in the role they had intended for Rafe. This isn't a defense of Rafe or GG. He never should have been brought in in the first place, AFAIC and it's pretty ridiculous that they've bother to keep both him and SC.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 1 2013, 01:05 PM
NocturnalBlondie
lysie
NocturnalBlondie
Oct 30 2013, 02:26 PM

IMO, it was obvious that he was talking about at that time.
Huh?
I thought it was obvious that he meant that they weren't bringing in new people at that exact moment in time.

Also, I think the Rafe issue is a little different. I think one of the reasons he disappeared after they ended Safe was because they had not originally intended on ending Safe. I think it happened kind of suddenly which means they didn't already have things mapped out for what they were going to do with him. And now, I think they're struggling because none of their characters have their own individual identities and they already have someone in the role they had intended for Rafe. This isn't a defense of Rafe or GG. He never should have been brought in in the first place, AFAIC and it's pretty ridiculous that they've bother to keep both him and SC.
It's very possible that they didn't intend to end Safe so they had to scramble for a new story for him. However, I think the rest of your post proves my point about Rafe. It's taken them 9 months to get a new story up-and-running for him because of he's not a natural part of the canvas. And even when they were finding a new story for him, they didn't bother to feature him on even a tangential basis, because again, his character wasn't necessary to his any particular story beats the way that somebody like Hope is. And really, I think this discussion can be divorced from whether anybody likes or doesn't like Rafe or GG. IMO, this is more of a writing issue that Days continues to have with new characters that aren't a member of a Salem family. If you're not a Brady, Horton, Kiriakis or DiMera, it's really hard to ingrain yourself into the Salem fabric because the writers don't create enough connections between different characters.

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Nov 1 2013, 01:20 PM
lysie
NocturnalBlondie
lysie

Huh?

It's very possible that they didn't intend to end Safe so they had to scramble for a new story for him. However, I think the rest of your post proves my point about Rafe. It's taken them 9 months to get a new story up-and-running for him because of he's not a natural part of the canvas. And even when they were finding a new story for him, they didn't bother to feature him on even a tangential basis, because again, his character wasn't necessary to his any particular story beats the way that somebody like Hope is. And really, I think this discussion can be divorced from whether anybody likes or doesn't like Rafe or GG. IMO, this is more of a writing issue that Days continues to have with new characters that aren't a member of a Salem family. If you're not a Brady, Horton, Kiriakis or DiMera, it's really hard to ingrain yourself into the Salem fabric because the writers don't create enough connections between different characters.
Yeah, I definitely think he's pointless. And honestly, even if they'd had a plan when they ended Safe (which I'm almost 100% sure they didn't) I don't think it would have mattered. I said the same when they hired CS. It's not going to work. It's not going to be good. He has no place in Salem, and I feel the same about Daniel. Contrive as many relationships as you want, these people don't belong.

Hopefully, they won't make the same mistake with this new guy, but based on their track record, I'm not holding my breath.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 1 2013, 01:24 PM
tomsawyer
lysie
NocturnalBlondie

Yeah, I definitely think he's pointless. And honestly, even if they'd had a plan when they ended Safe (which I'm almost 100% sure they didn't) I don't think it would have mattered. I said the same when they hired CS. It's not going to work. It's not going to be good. He has no place in Salem, and I feel the same about Daniel. Contrive as many relationships as you want, these people don't belong.

Hopefully, they won't make the same mistake with this new guy, but based on their track record, I'm not holding my breath.
Exactly. And really, I don't know why they bother creating completely new characters since there are so many families out there they could leverage. I mean, why isn't CS Sarah Horton rather than Jordan Ridgeway? Why isn't Liam a long-lost Deveraux or Toscono rather than Liam I-don't-care-about-his-last-name? Etc., etc.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I love working with Kristian. She's wonderful and fantastic." ~ DC

tomsawyer
Nov 1 2013, 01:32 PM
lysie
tomsawyer
lysie

Exactly. And really, I don't know why they bother creating completely new characters since there are so many families out there they could leverage. I mean, why isn't CS Sarah Horton rather than Jordan Ridgeway? Why isn't Liam a long-lost Deveraux or Toscono rather than Liam I-don't-care-about-his-last-name? Etc., etc.
Maybe Liam is a Toscano, but he's using a different name. We don't know anything about the character. & for all we know, Jordan Ridgeway might actually be someone else.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Actually, Collier is just the right age to play a slightly de-SORASED (i.e. back to the age he really should be given the SORASing of everyone else in his original age bracket) Scotty Banning. Which would make him Julie's grandson. And Hope's nephew. And a Horton. And would give Julie TONS more stuff to do....

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
lysie
tomsawyer
lysie

Well, ultimately I think they need brand new characters, too. They just haven't figured out an effective way to do that. And part of the reason they have trouble with it is that they start in the wrong age group. We don't need new 40 year olds.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 1 2013, 01:46 PM
tomsawyer
lysie
tomsawyer

Well, ultimately I think they need brand new characters, too. They just haven't figured out an effective way to do that. And part of the reason they have trouble with it is that they start in the wrong age group. We don't need new 40 year olds.
It's crazy. Discount Chandler and Freddie, who play gay characters, and Casey Moss, who plays a teenager, and the rest of the main male characters are: (1) 34 yr old, (1) 40 yr old, (3) 42 yr olds, (1) 48 yr old, and a new hire who is 43.
Edited by gailwinters, Nov 1 2013, 02:08 PM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 1 2013, 01:44 PM
Actually, Collier is just the right age to play a slightly de-SORASED (i.e. back to the age he really should be given the SORASing of everyone else in his original age bracket) Scotty Banning. Which would make him Julie's grandson. And Hope's nephew. And a Horton. And would give Julie TONS more stuff to do....
i don't understand how Julie could have a grandson the same age as Hope. The math couldn't possibly work unless each generation gave birth at 15.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

Matt
While that would certainly make Liam off limits to Hope, I love any idea that gives Julie more to do (and by extension Hope too, I guess). I just hope Julie doesn't act like Maggie with the orange egg baby. I couldn't bear that for my Julie just as I can't bear it for (formerly "my") Maggie.

dooldooldool

Supergirlx2
Oct 31 2013, 10:07 PM
dooldooldool
Oct 31 2013, 08:54 PM
Reese
Oct 31 2013, 02:11 PM
I do think Liam is for Hope......
Liam is for Sonny. Just wait......
Why would Liam be for Sonny. As far as we know, WilSon are still together.
They are going to need something/someone to come between them. Plus, the show needs to be prepared in case the new Will and old Jackson fizzle chemistry-wise. I think it's very rare that a recast of half a supercouple generate the same level of excitement.

The best example of this was the Bo-Hope-Billie triangle from decades ago. RKK, for all his faults, had amazing chemistry with Lisa Rinna. When PR came back, there was (and is to this day) nada. PR and LR could be siblings for all the chemistry between them.

Every couple needs interlopers. Gabriella and her spawn have been the initial barrier, focusing on Will. A mature successful older man who pursues the young Kiriakis would be a major threat to Will, who is in his first serious relationship and likely feels he could not compete with against a successful worldly businessman. Jackson is in his mid-twenties and I could see how he could fall for a gay guy who has his act together.

I never watched ATWT, but I recall that the groundbreaking storyline sizzled once Luke ditched Noah and swooned for the gay doctor, someone who you could actually believe wanted to get naked for hours with Luke.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Nov 1 2013, 09:13 PM
Supergirlx2
Oct 31 2013, 10:07 PM
dooldooldool
Oct 31 2013, 08:54 PM
Reese
Oct 31 2013, 02:11 PM
I do think Liam is for Hope......
Liam is for Sonny. Just wait......
Why would Liam be for Sonny. As far as we know, WilSon are still together.
They are going to need something/someone to come between them. Plus, the show needs to be prepared in case the new Will and old Jackson fizzle chemistry-wise. I think it's very rare that a recast of half a supercouple generate the same level of excitement.

The best example of this was the Bo-Hope-Billie triangle from decades ago. RKK, for all his faults, had amazing chemistry with Lisa Rinna. When PR came back, there was (and is to this day) nada. PR and LR could be siblings for all the chemistry between them.

Every couple needs interlopers. Gabriella and her spawn have been the initial barrier, focusing on Will. A mature successful older man who pursues the young Kiriakis would be a major threat to Will, who is in his first serious relationship and likely feels he could not compete with against a successful worldly businessman. Jackson is in his mid-twenties and I could see how he could fall for a gay guy who has his act together.

I never watched ATWT, but I recall that the groundbreaking storyline sizzled once Luke ditched Noah and swooned for the gay doctor, someone who you could actually believe wanted to get naked for hours with Luke.
i don't think every couple needs to have interlopers. Tom & Alice didn't have interlopers in the 80s. Alice's love for getting in the middle of Bope's adventure plots doesn't count. You can create a lot of relevant couple drama without the need to have a third person. Someone loses their job, someone's being accused of something, someone's hiding something from the other to protect a third person, etc. Bo & Hope had their fair share of stories between 2007 & 2009, none of which required an interloper. There was no Billie, no Carly, no Patrick, no Larry, no Megan.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

blueskies
Nov 1 2013, 02:13 PM
Matt
i don't understand how Julie could have a grandson the same age as Hope. The math couldn't possibly work unless each generation gave birth at 15.
That is weird, haha. Even with Hope's SORASing and the age difference between her and Julie, it's still weird!

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

tomsawyer
lysie
NocturnalBlondie
lysie

Huh?

And even if you are connected they do a terrible job of integrating. Teresa/Jeannie is tied to major Days characters and a main family. While they do mention the family ties she is still a stand alone character with no qualities to make her root able.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Essentially, they fucked SSH over HARD age-wise in the 1970s. They SORASed her son David (who was born on the show in 1967) to an adult in 1975 played by 25 year old Richard Guthrie. SSH was only 32 at the time. Hope was born on the show in December 1974. David became a father when Scotty was born in September 1977 (meaning SSH was playing a grandmother when she was 35). Hope was first SORASed into a teen in 1981 when Tammy Taylor was cast in the role. Taylor didn't last very long in the role & was sent away to school until 19 year old Kristian Alfonso took over the role in April 1983. Scotty Banning was SORASed into an adult when 24 year old Rick Hearst premiered in the role in June 1989 (he lasted just under a year). 46 year old SSH was playing the grandmother of a character played by a 24 year old actor. To put that in perspective. That would be like Kristian Alfonso playing Casey Deidrick's grandmother.

Rick Hearst is actually 2 years younger than Kristian Alfonso. Both Hearst & Alfonso were born BEFORE the character of David Banning was born on screen.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Nov 1 2013, 09:31 PM
i don't think every couple needs to have interlopers. Tom & Alice didn't have interlopers in the 80s. Alice's love for getting in the middle of Bope's adventure plots doesn't count. You can create a lot of relevant couple drama without the need to have a third person. Someone loses their job, someone's being accused of something, someone's hiding something from the other to protect a third person, etc. Bo & Hope had their fair share of stories between 2007 & 2009, none of which required an interloper. There was no Billie, no Carly, no Patrick, no Larry, no Megan.
2007 was the worst Bo and Hope year of all. During the vendetta story they would have those "cute" bets about changing diapers. It was cheesy and embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for PR in those scenes.

2009 had Carly, if you mean before her return there was Bo and his visions.
Edited by Sindacco, Nov 2 2013, 10:05 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 2 2013, 10:03 PM
Supergirlx2
Nov 1 2013, 09:31 PM
2007 was the worst Bo and Hope year of all. During the vendetta story they would have those "cute" bets about changing diapers. It was cheesy and embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for PR in those scenes.

2009 had Carly, if you mean before her return there was Bo and his visions.
my point was that there was no person as an interloper during those years, but Bo & Hope were still seen regularly and were integrated into stories. Yes, Bo's visions were ridiculous.
the cute bets & the little snarkiness was adorable, IMO. I'd rather have some light humor between two people who are in love than constantly have to watch a couple get together, break up, find other partners, only to then break up with them & end up back together.
Obviously a couple can't be happy all the time, but there doesn't constantly have to be a third person around for every couple on the show.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

Jason47
Oct 30 2013, 12:24 PM
Posted Image

MARK COLLIER SET TO JOIN "DAYS" AS LIAM IN DECEMBER

Mark Collier is joining "Days" in the role of Liam. His first airdate will be December 19. Collier appeared as Mike Kasnoff on "As the World Turns" from 2002-2007. In an ironic twist, Shawn Christian (Daniel) had originated the role of Mike Kasnoff on ATWT, playing him from 1994-1997. Collier, 43, was born May 23, 1970 in Ocala, Florida. Soaps In Depth reported his hiring, which ended my week-long "mystery actor clue" game a day earlier than planned.
Is it also ironic that he looks like Shawn Christian too? Why does this show need another 40 something male lead that doesn't shave??? Can we get rid of SC and GG first?
Edited by Rosebud, Nov 2 2013, 10:31 PM.

Keith
Member Avatar

I'm calling Liam as Daniel's brother.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply