Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Bill and Susan Seaforth Hayes
Topic Started: Nov 10 2013, 07:40 PM (2,675 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Susan Seaforth Hayes

We’ve heard you have several episodes coming up!
I do!

Can you tell us anything about them?
Yes. Julie is kind of the only person who’s suspicious about a turn of events. And she goes around to all of the cast members and says, “Have you noticed? Don’t you think something is wrong? I think something is wrong.” And they say she’s nuts. Julie was always crazy. This was news to me, so I called the writers’ office and asked, “Is Julie crazy now?” Nobody called me back. So I went ahead and played it for whatever. And I’m still trying to get the answer to the crazy thing. But in this particular event, she’s not! She’s the one person in Salem who smelled a rat, and it’s a big rat. So it’s a terrific storyline coming up. Trust me. January /February.

Are you a part of the whole story, or do you just come and go?
As far as I know, I’m still there. We’re so far ahead. I was working a lot in spurts. Then there’s a different wedding. I’m not in that wedding. And then I’ll be back. So that’s good news.

You haven’t had a lot to do on the show in the last few years.
In our spare time we’ve written a novel. It’s available through billandsusanhayes.com. It’s called Trumpet. It’s a historical novel. We worked on it for seven years. It’s very funny, very sexy, very exciting. We’re beginning to write the sequel.

Your mother wrote for Days.
My mother wrote for Y&R for nine years. She was the head writer of Days for a year. She also wrote for Generations, which was the show that one of our cast members was the star of. She wrote that for four years.

Would you ever consider doing that?
To write for soap opera? No. No, I prefer the novel medium. It’s really the same thing, but you don’t have someone from the network telling you what to do. You’re writing your own world. [The novel] was wonderful, wonderful fun. A lot of terrible work, though, as any writing is. Also a strange high, but a real one. The editor said, “Congratulations. You handed in a manuscript. Most people never finish.”

You said it took seven years?
It took seven years. We traveled all over the world. The characters go all over the world, and we went all over the world. Every place we described, we’ve been to. This year we went to Eastern Europe.

Doug and Julie really are on cruises all the time.
Well, for about seven years we worked for Crystal Cruises doing lectures. So we made about 19 trips on their cruise line to Greenland, Iceland, Buenos Aires, Fiji, the Mediterranean, the coast of Africa, South Africa...we got around!

There was a funny reference to their cruises in the doughnut episode.
That was a fun day. I love the ladies on the show. Judi Evans. Mary Beth who I thought was hysterical.

Is there anything they ask you to do that you don’t like?
No, I like working. Whatever they throw at me.

I know that you’ve seen a lot of people asking for more Doug and Julie. Do you think the show sees that, too?
I don’t know. We’re not on contract. We’re recurring which means they don’t have to use us. There’s a huge contract list which means they’re obliged to use those faces. And of course, the show wants to have new and exciting people on all the time. I think we’re not the dullest old people in the world. We’ll see.

What would you like to see them do?
I’d like Doug and Julie to live in the Horton house. That’s the natural place for us to be. I’d like Doug and Julie to be in closer communication with Jennifer and Hope, which is natural. I have had some stuff with Suzanne Rogers. More of that. I don’t think they need to be constantly coming into town later, or missing the plane, or starting the car.

Bill Hayes

Unfortunately, we had a bit of a technical difficulty during Bill Hayes’ interview. His genuine love for the show was evident. I don’t know if that would have come through in print anyway.

We did manage to preserve some of the audio at the very end. He also got rushed away to the next press outlet at the end, so he had to cut short his story. He was disappointed, and so were we.

Now we know Susan has a lot coming up. What about you?
I’ve been there for Christmas Day. Or Doug has. I get to play Santa Claus. That’s the third time. I like that. I sing a little bit. I love the Christmas shows. All the traditional stuff with the Horton balls hanging on the tree. It’s been such a success, that people do it in their own homes now.

What will it take to get more of you?
I don’t know. People like you requesting it. I believe they’re listening to the people who send in their comments and requests.

You have a lot of Days memories.
There are a lot them.

What’s one of your favorites.
Julie and Doug got married. That’s a day that will live in my memory forever. Then they separated us, divorced us, and then they remarried. And that day will live almost as much in my memory. It was still a beautiful wedding, but the first one was so good.

What was it like being married in real life, but being separated on the show?
It was awful. It was terrible. Susan’s mother was writing the show then. She was the head writer. So she plotted the whole thing. Julie was burned, and she had this horrible scar. It was awful. She figured nobody, even Doug, would stay with her. Anyway, that was a hard time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 10 2013, 07:40 PM
Yes. Julie is kind of the only person who’s suspicious about a turn of events. And she goes around to all of the cast members and says, “Have you noticed? Don’t you think something is wrong? I think something is wrong.” And they say she’s nuts. Julie was always crazy. This was news to me, so I called the writers’ office
This is definitely my favorite tidbit so far. LOL.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

Totally agree with Susan Seaforth Hayes about it being natural and right that Doug and Julie live in the Horton house. Found it interesting her comment on the networks telling the writers what to write on soaps.

Jason47
Member Avatar

lysie
And they say she’s nuts. Julie was always crazy. This was news to me, so I called the writers’ office and asked, “Is Julie crazy now?” Nobody called me back.
Hmmmm....I think they confused Laura for Julie. :chee:
Edited by Jason47, Nov 10 2013, 07:47 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

I found some more of the Bill interview, so I updated the post. I don't think I'll find the final missing chunk, but I found the other part that I KNEW I had recorded.

jam6242
Member Avatar

lysie
Susan Seaforth Hayes

Is there anything they ask you to do that you don’t like?
No, I like working. Whatever they throw at me.

This is why I try not to let it bother me that Julie is used mainly for comic relief (or now apparently as a crazy person). It's hard sometimes but if Susan doesn't mind I suppose I can suck it up.

I wonder whether Julie's suspicions are related to whatever happened to Nick (or maybe she's seeing all the doubles).

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

lysie
Yes. Julie is kind of the only person who’s suspicious about a turn of events. And she goes around to all of the cast members and says, “Have you noticed? Don’t you think something is wrong? I think something is wrong.” And they say she’s nuts. Julie was always crazy. This was news to me, so I called the writers’ office and asked, “Is Julie crazy now?” Nobody called me back. So I went ahead and played it for whatever. And I’m still trying to get the answer to the crazy thing. But in this particular event, she’s not! She’s the one person in Salem who smelled a rat, and it’s a big rat. So it’s a terrific storyline coming up. Trust me. January /February.
LOL I love Susan! She's so funny!

I do wonder if the "rat" Julie will be smelling involves the murder? A lot of people think it will be Nick based on the promo where Gabi bashes his head with a rock. The November previews talk about a cover up, and we know Camila will be working with Chandler, Ali and James lots. And we also know that Kate and Sami would be on the same side for an upcoming story. Perhaps Will, Sami, Kate, and possibly EJ work to cover up Nick's murder for the sake of Arianna Grace? I could see Julie being suspicious since she is Nick's family, and had been one of the few people sticking by him when he was being released from prison.

Interesting! It certainly has me intrigued! I will be nonetheless very sad/disappointed if they do kill off Nick because I adore Blake Berris.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Great interview, Lysie! They are so much fun.

Keith
Member Avatar

I'll bet my bottom dollar that Julie catches wind of the Nick double.

And yes, Susan. You two belong in that house.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

I would LOVE if Doug & Julie moved into the Horton House (& maybe invited Hope & Ciara to move in with them as well - poor gals are homeless (at least in terms of not having a visible home set)).
It was one thing to have Jen live there temporarily after Alice's death & whatnot. But now it almost seems like TPTB have decided that Jen deserves to live in that house. Doesn't Hope technically own part of the house? I feel like it was stated in one of the post-funeral episodes that Alice had left quite a bit of the stuff in her will to Hope & Jen as a pair.

michr544125

Keith
Nov 10 2013, 08:07 PM

I'm thinking the same thing.

I really think now that Nick pretends he is dead but isn't and people try covering up a murder that never happened. Unless he is dead and a double is paid to pretend he's Nick.

Ellie

Susan's hysterical - great interview. But I feel bad for her about the "crazy" thing. Like... some characters like Marlena can at least, usually, have a through-line. But Julie just kind of pops up to do whatever they want. I'm sure Susan would love at least a flashback or some kind of acknowledgment that Julie's been around as more than Ciara's grandmother.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

The only thing though, can it be Nick? If the blow to the head kills him, it's not technically murder is it? Murder is premeditated, and in this case it wouldn't be. It would be manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter at that. But this is DAYS we're talking about, so same shit right? Lol.

KAM

michr544125
Nov 10 2013, 08:24 PM
Keith

I really think now that Nick pretends he is dead but isn't and people try covering up a murder that never happened. Unless he is dead and a double is paid to pretend he's Nick.

I like your first guess the best. I don't want Nick killed off for one thing. Plus it would be so in character for Nick to fool with their heads in that way.

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

If they do kill Nick, I hope they leave it open in a way that he could have faked his own death. Blake leaving sucks as it is, at least we would have the comfort of knowing he could return someday.

blueskies
Member Avatar

wth, Julie's not crazy!! lol

I'd take Julie over Maggie any day of the week.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

I wish one of the writers had the courtesy to call the woman back! It might just come across as disjointed onscreen if she was playing it as Julie's crazy/comedy when she should have been playing it as indignant or that she knows too much and as such could be in danger

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

TreasureCove
Nov 10 2013, 09:31 PM
I wish one of the writers had the courtesy to call the woman back! It might just come across as disjointed onscreen if she was playing it as Julie's crazy/comedy when she should have been playing it as indignant or that she knows too much and as such could be in danger
If Susan Fricking Hayes was calling me, you'd best believe I would be calling her back. :glare:

Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Nov 10 2013, 09:39 PM.

Carly
Member Avatar

michr544125
Nov 10 2013, 08:24 PM
Keith

Perhaps Nick hires the Theresa, Kristen, and Daniel lookalikes in order to gaslight Julie. If Julie is seeing lookalikes of other people in town, then the Hortons might just think that Julie has gone crazy, and no one would suspect that Nick is still alive....But would Nick really gaslight his cousin Julie?

Hmmm. Maybe EJ worries that Julie is getting too close to the truth, and so EJ is the one who hires the Theresa, Daniel, and Kristen lookalikes in order to gaslight Julie.

Kriss4

I'd rather have Julie too. Maggie...Well, it's complicated. I think Maggie should be there, but all they allow her to do is be Daniel's biggest cheerleader, and since I don't like Daniel, and she's always cheering for him, it annoys me.

I know all the characters are required to cheer for Daniel, but Maggie's on Daniel overload, she really is.

Let's take her son away...he's not really her son. He heads back home, wherever that is...and reunites with his mother...his REAL mother, and he apologizes to her for his long neglect. They live happily ever after offscreen as mother and son...

And Maggie's daughters return for a visit. Melissa and Sarah...her REAL daughters.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply