Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Freddie Smith
Topic Started: Nov 10 2013, 11:46 PM (3,674 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

We know you have something big coming up that has to do with Gabi, but we donít know what it is yet.
Well, with Nick and Gabi, itís just been, like, a nightmare with them. Will and Sonny have just such a good relationship I think. Theyíre good people, and theyíre surrounded by crazy stuff with their family and friends. If they were just alone, theyíd be happy. Their chaos is brought in by everyone else, and they have to deal with it. Yeah, Gabi and Nick...thereís some good stuff coming up.

The main criticism about Sonny is that heís too straight-laced. What are your thoughts on that?
Iíve brought that up before. It would be fun to have Sonny do something wrong. Gabi and I just got to have like this big fight. And it was a legit fight. I was so excited just to be an asshole. It was so fun. Sonny is very straight-laced. Iím looking forward to him doing something wrong eventually. Because there are no consequences. You kind of do something wrong and then your day is over with, and you go back to your life. It can be fun.

Is the dynamic between Will and Sonny going to change when the recast begins airing?
The dynamic? Yeah. What Iíve been saying is that I think Guy has put his own flavor into the character. He is replacing the character, but heís his own person. Heís doing a great job with it and making it his own. Itís an interesting transition, and I think people are going to like it.

Heís not here today!
No. They have him locked up in a cage in the studio, and theyíre just waiting to release him to the press. Heís so excited, and thatís what Iím really happy about. He is so happy to be on the show, to be working together, and he wants to do this. He really wanted to come today. But I think itís a very smart idea for Days to wait until heís about to air because heís going to have millions of interviews to do. And what can he actually talk about now anyway?

Is there anything else coming up that you can tell us about?
To be honest with you, weíre five months ahead and Iím not even really sure what youíre watching right now.

Well, Will is at Berkeley. Sonny and Sami have been talking about Nick and Gabi.
So Will is writing. Okay. Wow. Something big is about to happen between Gabi and Nick, and thatís what weíre involved in. Sonny has this really fun episode where he overhears something because heís hiding, and it was such a fun episode to shoot. But I canít really say what itís about because it entails a lot of other stuff. Will and Sonny are going to continue to grow as a couple. Theyíre strong.

We always like different character interactions. Have you recently worked with anyone that you donít usually work with?
I just worked with Deidre. I worked with Peggy McCay recently. John Aniston recently. I worked with Eric Martsolf the other day. That was fun.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

lysie
Nov 10 2013, 11:46 PM
We know you have something big coming up that has to do with Gabi, but we donít know what it is yet.
Well, with Nick and Gabi, itís just been, like, a nightmare with them. Will and Sonny have just such a good relationship I think. Theyíre good people, and theyíre surrounded by crazy stuff with their family and friends. If they were just alone, theyíd be happy. Their chaos is brought in by everyone else, and they have to deal with it. Yeah, Gabi and Nick...thereís some good stuff coming up.

The main criticism about Sonny is that heís too straight-laced. What are your thoughts on that?
Iíve brought that up before. It would be fun to have Sonny do something wrong. Gabi and I just got to have like this big fight. And it was a legit fight. I was so excited just to be an asshole. It was so fun. Sonny is very straight-laced. Iím looking forward to him doing something wrong eventually. Because there are no consequences. You kind of do something wrong and then your day is over with, and you go back to your life. It can be fun.

Is the dynamic between Will and Sonny going to change when the recast begins airing?
The dynamic? Yeah. What Iíve been saying is that I think Guy has put his own flavor into the character. He is replacing the character, but heís his own person. Heís doing a great job with it and making it his own. Itís an interesting transition, and I think people are going to like it.

Heís not here today!
No. They have him locked up in a cage in the studio, and theyíre just waiting to release him to the press. Heís so excited, and thatís what Iím really happy about. He is so happy to be on the show, to be working together, and he wants to do this. He really wanted to come today. But I think itís a very smart idea for Days to wait until heís about to air because heís going to have millions of interviews to do. And what can he actually talk about now anyway?

Is there anything else coming up that you can tell us about?
To be honest with you, weíre five months ahead and Iím not even really sure what youíre watching right now.

Well, Will is at Berkeley. Sonny and Sami have been talking about Nick and Gabi.
So Will is writing. Okay. Wow. Something big is about to happen between Gabi and Nick, and thatís what weíre involved in. Sonny has this really fun episode where he overhears something because heís hiding, and it was such a fun episode to shoot. But I canít really say what itís about because it entails a lot of other stuff. Will and Sonny are going to continue to grow as a couple. Theyíre strong.

We always like different character interactions. Have you recently worked with anyone that you donít usually work with?
I just worked with Deidre. I worked with Peggy McCay recently. John Aniston recently. I worked with Eric Martsolf the other day. That was fun.
Great interview with Freddie. Excited to see the upcoming Will/Sonny stuff, and with Nick/Gabi. I am happy to hear that Freddie is working alot, and also that he and Guy seem to be working well together (although we won't see Guy until January 2014). I am sad about Chandler's Will leaving in December, but looking forward to seeing Guy's take on the Will character.

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

We should had made a drinking game for everytime someone said "I have no clue what's airing." This shooting schedule is no good.

And aw at Guy wanting to go. I don't blame Days for not releasing him to the wolves just yet.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

michr544125

Glad Freddie finally said he'd like to see Sonny be an asshole more. Sonny is a supposed to part of family that lies, cheats and all of that other good stuff. Great and strong long term for a couple doesn't give them story. Wilson get no story about just them two, no sex, no exciting third party stuff. Hopefully at least the dynamic of Guy and Freddie will make me more interested in Wilson again. Wilson just seem stuck right now serving the purpose of being the model couple :( .
Edited by michr544125, Nov 11 2013, 10:18 AM.

Keith
Member Avatar

One of the major issues with this show?

"Iím looking forward to him doing something wrong eventually. Because there are no consequences. You kind of do something wrong and then your day is over with, and you go back to your life. It can be fun." Not just in regards to doing nothing wrong. Events don't effect characters anymore.

The other, of course, being that shooting schedule.

PatNS
Member Avatar

it sounds like he enjoys working with the new Will and that he's happy about their upcoming storyline. Thanks.

Brewster
Member Avatar

It's crazy to me that Victor and Sonny don't share more scenes.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

Brewster
Nov 11 2013, 11:19 AM
It's crazy to me that he doesn't have many more scenes with his parents too. I really think that they need to bulk up the Kiriakis family to include the rest of the brothers...Alexander, Vic and Joey.

vanjakefan1992
Member Avatar

Loved the interview..thanks for posting it.

blueskies
Member Avatar

5 months ahead, smdh.

Reminds me, when does Days usually find out about renewal? b/c if they aren't careful, they could be taped almost to the end already.

Sevprince

Judi and Freddie interview
Is kind of hard to hear though
Also there are a lot of other interviews with the rest of the cast in this YT channel.

JoeBucs32

Didn't know where else to ask this question but was Joe Mascolo not at the event where you conducted all these interviews? These interviews are amazing and he seems to be about the only cast member not interviewed. Is he okay?

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Brewster
I feel the same way about Sonny and Victor. Of course, I also think Sonny and Nicole should become friends as he needs someone besides Will to talk to and she needs a martini drinking friend without benefits.

Sevprince

I like that Judi would like to have Jack and Steve back and all her other kids on the show. I agree. I feel like a broken record but we need more Kiriakis and Johnson families. I might actually start watching again.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

LonePirate
Nov 12 2013, 01:23 PM
Brewster
I feel the same way about Sonny and Victor. Of course, I also think Sonny and Nicole should become friends as he needs someone besides Will to talk to and she needs a martini drinking friend without benefits.
Since Brady is such a thick-headed disappointment, I would think it would make sense that Victor would try to entice Sonny into joining the family business at Titan. I don't get isolating Sonny from his family either.

michr544125

Reese
Nov 12 2013, 04:16 PM
LonePirate
Brewster
Since Brady is such a thick-headed disappointment, I would think it would make sense that Victor would try to entice Sonny into joining the family business at Titan. I don't get isolating Sonny from his family either.
It's because Sonny only exists as Will's boyfriend. Even now with Will being gone, we see Sonny (in very limited scenes) but his existence is about Will. If it's not about Will, all Sonny is shown as is a coffee pourer or a babysitter. That is too bad because Sonny has such great chemistry with his everybody but the show doesn't see Sonny as his own character. If Will wasn't recast, I don't see how Sonny would not have been sent off with Will.
Edited by michr544125, Nov 12 2013, 04:36 PM.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

michr544125
Nov 12 2013, 04:36 PM
Reese
LonePirate
Brewster
It's because Sonny only exists as Will's boyfriend. Even now with Will being gone, we see Sonny (in very limited scenes) but his existence is about Will. If it's not about Will, all Sonny is shown as is a coffee pourer or a babysitter. That is too bad because Sonny has such great chemistry with his everybody but the show doesn't see Sonny as his own character. If Will wasn't recast, I don't see how Sonny would not have been sent off with Will.
I agree, and it's really sad. Short-sighted, too. With Sonny being Kiriakis and Johnson, both families with complicated histories and family dynamics, Sonny could be a really complex character. Should be more of a complex character. I know these writers aren't strong on characterization, but come on...at least try.

Kaha
Member Avatar

Reese
Nov 12 2013, 04:43 PM
michr544125
Reese
LonePirate

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I agree, and it's really sad. Short-sighted, too. With Sonny being Kiriakis and Johnson, both families with complicated histories and family dynamics, Sonny could be a really complex character. Should be more of a complex character. I know these writers aren't strong on characterization, but come on...at least try.
I agree about the shortsightedness of isolating Sonny from his family, but I buy the good Sonny characterization. He's Adrienne's son after all. When she first met Justin, (all praise to the invaluable Youtube) she struggled a lot with his association with Victor, so, it's totally believable that she raised her kids to be good and decent.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

Kaha
Nov 12 2013, 05:49 PM
Reese
michr544125
Reese

I agree about the shortsightedness of isolating Sonny from his family, but I buy the good Sonny characterization. He's Adrienne's son after all. When she first met Justin, (all praise to the invaluable Youtube) she struggled a lot with his association with Victor, so, it's totally believable that she raised her kids to be good and decent.
I get what you're saying. For me, I don't think complexity equals being a bad guy though. Just let us see him making some decisions in his life that stem from something, anything to do with him and not him reacting to Will, just for an example. But I think Freddy's right. Let's see Sonny deal with maybe not always being so good and right. I want to see how, and why he maintains his integrity in the face of challenges from his family pressures.

I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I think there's more that could be done with Sonny than what he's been seen so far.

Kaha
Member Avatar

Reese
Nov 12 2013, 07:27 PM
Kaha
Nov 12 2013, 05:49 PM
Reese
michr544125

I get what you're saying. For me, I don't think complexity equals being a bad guy though. Just let us see him making some decisions in his life that stem from something, anything to do with him and not him reacting to Will, just for an example. But I think Freddy's right. Let's see Sonny deal with maybe not always being so good and right. I want to see how, and why he maintains his integrity in the face of challenges from his family pressures.

I'm probably not explaining myself well, but I think there's more that could be done with Sonny than what he's been seen so far.
You are explaining yourself very well. And I absolutely agree with you. I would love for Sonny to have his OWN s/l separate from Will. The writers can make that happen if they just connected Sonny to his family. Victor was impressed with Sonny and they seem to have a warm and great relationship, why not explore that further? I just hate that he interacts with EJ and Sami or even Kate more than he interacts with his own parents. Maybe that will change. I am encouraged by John Aniston's interview. He said that he will be working with Will and Sonny.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply