Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Kate Mansi
Topic Started: Nov 11 2013, 01:40 AM (2,516 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Both of Abby’s men are gone.
Yes. Isn’t that awful.

So what’s next for Abby?
Well, Abby’s in a bit of repair right now. She’s got to put some pieces back together. And then some really exciting turns are coming.

Is there anything you can tell us about those turns?
I cannot give you anything without giving it all away. But I promise that it’s going to be good.

When will that be?
In like nine years. No, I think it’s probably around January.

Do you have anything between now and then?
Yes. She does. You start seeing the setup.

So what did you think when you found out that both of the people you’ve been working with were leaving?
Isn’t that crazy? Well, Nathan I sort of found out in a roundabout way. Nathan’s was not as clear cut as Casey’s. And Casey we knew that was coming for a while. So that was the anticipation of knowing it was coming and finding out how it would happen. And I just adore Casey. I feel like we grew up together. We were both really protective of his storyline and how it would turn out, and we both really loved it. Those were the hardest things I’ve ever done. I couldn’t even rehearse them, and they said you can’t really cry and fall apart until you leave the room. So it was so hard for me. It was a great acting exercise, but I was so emotional knowing he was leaving. And with Nathan, it was just so sudden. I read the script and saw that he was doing Doctors Without Borders, and I was like, “What?” I asked him, and we know that sometimes people leave for a little while and come back. We really didn’t know what was going to happen, but then it turned out he wasn’t returning. The way I played it with Abigail was that she was just so shocked. Cameron is the one she was going to pick all along, and then Chad came in and did all of his mind messing. She really wanted to be with Cameron, so knowing that he was leaving so suddenly she felt like she had been rejected twice.

Do you have any more family stuff coming up?
Yeah, there’s some family stuff coming up in the sense that my mom is trying to sort out what’s going on with Daniel, so we’re dealing with that. And also JJ has been a really naughty boy, so Abby’s involved with that.

One major criticism of Abby on our board is that she’s so accepting of Daniel.
How she received him so well in the beginning and got over Jack quickly? Yeah. What I have to say about that, though, is that Jack is great but he abandoned Abigail for years over and over. He would be so present and be this amazing father, but then he’d take off on some adventure. Really what Daniel represented for Abigail is stability. You know, she came from Europe to help take care of her mom after open heart surgery way back when, and that’s how they got together, and I think that’s why Abigail is so positive in receiving him. So my father coming back was painful and him leaving again was painful. I think there’s a maturity though where Abigail can say, I want my mom to be happy and she is not being disloyal to my father.

There also wasn’t much focus on Abby’s reaction to Jack’s death.
Yeah, right. Sure. What I’m upset about is that I’m always walking in and out of elevators. If that happened to me, I would never set foot in one again. So every time I get off an elevator in a scene, I try to add that into the layering of the character.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

lysie
Nov 11 2013, 01:40 AM
How she received him so well in the beginning and got over Jack quickly? Yeah. What I have to say about that, though, is that Jack is great but he abandoned Abigail for years over and over. He would be so present and be this amazing father, but then he’d take off on some adventure. Really what Daniel represented for Abigail is stability.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Edited by NocturnalBlondie, Nov 11 2013, 01:45 AM.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Smh I'm not a diehard Jack.and Jen fan so I may be wrong but before this last time didn't Jack only abandon his family once? The rest were beyond his control with the ssk s/l etc

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

NocturnalBlondie
Nov 11 2013, 01:44 AM
lysie
Nov 11 2013, 01:40 AM
How she received him so well in the beginning and got over Jack quickly? Yeah. What I have to say about that, though, is that Jack is great but he abandoned Abigail for years over and over. He would be so present and be this amazing father, but then he’d take off on some adventure. Really what Daniel represented for Abigail is stability.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
I really just can't even with her response about Jack.

I guess newer actors get the Reader's Digest "Dan's the Man" edition of each character's backstory because really? It's not like the clips don't exist out there that dispel this bit of drivel. What I'd really love to see is someone actually point that out in an interview when it's brought up.

I'm also LOLing over Daniel presenting stability. I don't think JnJ broke up as much in 25 years as Fetch have in what, 3?

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

I mean, it's one thing to say that Jack wasn't always there, but to say "he abandoned Abigail for years over and over"? He was away for reasons beyond his control with the exception of when he left after Abigail got aplastic anemia as a baby and he blamed himself for her illness. I just don't understand the looking down on Jack as if he was a bad father - he was "killed" by the Salem Stalker and held captive on Melaswen Island; he later faked his death and left Salem, but only because he thought he was terminally ill and would be dying anyway, and saw that Jennifer could be happy with Frankie if he left; and in 2011 his "walkabout" was actually him being held captive in Afghanistan after pursuing a story on drug trafficking. Jack is a reporter, and was doing his job in pursuing a story, just like other professionals often risk their lives in doing what they do. They don't have the intention of abandoning their loved ones, sometimes circumstances that are beyond their control take them away from their families.

So yes, Jack wasn't always physically present, but he did not intentionally leave his family. I can understand Abby being disappointed in the situation (that Jack was not always there), but not disappointment in him as if he was to blame. Especially when you're going to call his absences fricken "adventures" - because yes, leaving out of guilt, being "killed" and held captive on an island, thinking you're terminally ill, and being kidnapped in Afghanistan are total adrenaline rushes. :eyeroll:

I don't think Jack Deveraux is perfect by any means, but I certainly don't think it's accurate to say he "abandoned" his family or left them to set off on adventures. Kate Mansi needs to look up her Days history. But I suppose she has to try and sell what TPTB give her, but in this case what they're giving her is botched up and inaccurate history.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Really? Are we accepting "Jack abandoned them!!1!oneeleventy!" as canon now? Even though they donated his organs and then Melaswen and all that? Can we get these actors a Wikipedia print out of Jack's history?

NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar

somuchwhatever
Nov 11 2013, 01:55 AM
I'm also LOLing over Daniel presenting stability. I don't think JnJ broke up as much in 25 years as Fetch have in what, 3?
So much THIS! I literally burst out laughing when I read this part of the interview.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Oh KM, I already think Abby sucks, so please don't make me think you suck too. Learn your character's history before spouting off these rationalizations.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

NocturnalBlondie
Nov 11 2013, 02:13 AM
I mean, it's one thing to say that Jack wasn't always there, but to say "he abandoned Abigail for years over and over"? He was away for reasons beyond his control with the exception of when he left after Abigail got aplastic anemia as a baby and he blamed himself for her illness. I just don't understand the looking down on Jack as if he was a bad father - he was "killed" by the Salem Stalker and held captive on Melaswen Island; he later faked his death and left Salem, but only because he thought he was terminally ill and would be dying anyway, and saw that Jennifer could be happy with Frankie if he left; and in 2011 his "walkabout" was actually him being held captive in Afghanistan after pursuing a story on drug trafficking. Jack is a reporter, and was doing his job in pursuing a story, just like other professionals often risk their lives in doing what they do. They don't have the intention of abandoning their loved ones, sometimes circumstances that are beyond their control take them away from their families.

So yes, Jack wasn't always physically present, but he did not intentionally leave his family. I can understand Abby being disappointed in the situation (that Jack was not always there), but not disappointment in him as if he was to blame. Especially when you're going to call his absences fricken "adventures" - because yes, leaving out of guilt, being "killed" and held captive on an island, thinking you're terminally ill, and being kidnapped in Afghanistan are total adrenaline rushes. :eyeroll:

I don't think Jack Deveraux is perfect by any means, but I certainly don't think it's accurate to say he "abandoned" his family or left them to set off on adventures. Kate Mansi needs to look up her Days history. But I suppose she has to try and sell what TPTB give her, but in this case what they're giving her is botched up and inaccurate history.
This is the only interview I've read that kind of makes me feel rage-y. Way to go, KM. :ermm:

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Quote:

There also wasn’t much focus on Abby’s reaction to Jack’s death.

Yeah, right. Sure. What I’m upset about is that I’m always walking in and out of elevators

:blink: I understand being annoyed about Abby using elevators, but she's more upset about that than her characters inhuman reaction to her father dying while saving her life?!

PatNS
Member Avatar

It will be interesting to see what the future brings for Abby.

I'm not too upset by her comments ... Jack abandoning his family is a phrase that has been used by many, many characters over the years including Jennifer so that's probably something Kate thinks his part of their family history.

MissLola
Member Avatar

Glad to see Cameron gone. I was really not looking forward to him with Abby. Unless I wanted a good nap. :yawnz:
Edited by MissLola, Nov 11 2013, 09:41 AM.

blueskies
Member Avatar

I can't even with this interview.

Abby's reaction to Jack's death was non-existant and what makes it a million times worse is that he gave his life to save hers. Self-absorbed does not even begin to cover it.

Brewster
Member Avatar

I just don't think I have anything to say about this one.

It's good that KM bought into the story and the history of Jack considering most of the audience didn't.

Romancer66

As long as the Deveraux family continues to obsess about Daniel and his business, they're automatic FF material. And I'm beyond ready for Abigail to fall down another elevator shaft. Or just disappear from Salem without any fanfare at all and never be seen again. This version of her is as useless as the current version of Jennifer, and her stories go nowhere and are excruciatingly boring into the bargain.

blueskies
Member Avatar

KM tweeted a response to the interview. I posted it in the tweets section.

idk what tweets she got, but I can def imagine! I sorta feel bad for her, but honestly i don't think she understands how poorly Jack's death was handled.

jdawg1077

I don't think Kate's view of Jack is that far off. Yes, Jack was held captive in Afghantistan for a long time, and they all assumed that he was off on some Australian adventure. But Jack chose to leave his family and go to Afghanistan in the first place. Granted, the use of the word "adventure" is not exactly appropriate for war coverage, but he did decide to put himself at risk, knowing it could affect his family. It's something many journalists wrestle with. And I could see how Abby would have a hard time squaring those emotions, and I think Kate plays that conflicted beat very well. In fact, I think Abby would make a good junior journalist character, in the mold of her parents.

six
Member Avatar

I don't think what she's saying is all that inaccurate, either. I mean, the guy pretended to die. Yes, he thought he was going to die anyway, but that doesn't make it any better. And do we know for sure that he was present every moment that they were off screen (not counting the point where Jen took Abby to Ireland). Although that time period might count in Abby's mind. Even if it's not logical, she was just a little girl at that point.

Regardless though, it's KM's job to tell the story the show has chosen to tell.

AFaithL

Kate, don't worry about the haters. You aren't responsible for storyline.

Romancer66

jdawg1077
Nov 11 2013, 11:34 AM
I don't think Kate's view of Jack is that far off. Yes, Jack was held captive in Afghantistan for a long time, and they all assumed that he was off on some Australian adventure. But Jack chose to leave his family and go to Afghanistan in the first place. Granted, the use of the word "adventure" is not exactly appropriate for war coverage, but he did decide to put himself at risk, knowing it could affect his family. It's something many journalists wrestle with. And I could see how Abby would have a hard time squaring those emotions, and I think Kate plays that conflicted beat very well. In fact, I think Abby would make a good junior journalist character, in the mold of her parents.
And Jennifer chose to get involved in the organ thieves story, leading to her almost dying, which would have left Abigail and JJ completely parentless, since Jack was a hostage in Afghanistan at the time. Over the years, Jennifer's taken the same risks for journalism that Jack has, yet she never gets even a fraction of the grief and criticism he gets over it. When both halves of a couple engage in the same career-driven, high-risk behavior, they should both be held accountable for it. Just another of the longstanding double standards I've disliked when it comes to J&J and their history.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply