Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Kate Mansi
Topic Started: Nov 11 2013, 01:40 AM (2,545 Views)
mer4santo
Member Avatar
whaaaaaat?

Obviously she has to figure a way into the material but ugh, this was my least favorite interview.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

:shame: :facepalm:

lysie
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Nov 11 2013, 11:54 AM
jdawg1077
Nov 11 2013, 11:34 AM
I don't think Kate's view of Jack is that far off. Yes, Jack was held captive in Afghantistan for a long time, and they all assumed that he was off on some Australian adventure. But Jack chose to leave his family and go to Afghanistan in the first place. Granted, the use of the word "adventure" is not exactly appropriate for war coverage, but he did decide to put himself at risk, knowing it could affect his family. It's something many journalists wrestle with. And I could see how Abby would have a hard time squaring those emotions, and I think Kate plays that conflicted beat very well. In fact, I think Abby would make a good junior journalist character, in the mold of her parents.
And Jennifer chose to get involved in the organ thieves story, leading to her almost dying, which would have left Abigail and JJ completely parentless, since Jack was a hostage in Afghanistan at the time. Over the years, Jennifer's taken the same risks for journalism that Jack has, yet she never gets even a fraction of the grief and criticism he gets over it. When both halves of a couple engage in the same career-driven, high-risk behavior, they should both be held accountable for it. Just another of the longstanding double standards I've disliked when it comes to J&J and their history.
The difference being that Jennifer didn't die or even fake die, so she didn't end up being absent.

I don't completely agree with her assessment of it either, but it's clearly how the show is choosing to play it. I think especially from Abby's point of view it makes sense. To the child, it doesn't so much matter why he wasn't there. What matters is that he wasn't.

Romancer66

lysie
Nov 11 2013, 12:00 PM
Romancer66
jdawg1077
I don't think Kate's view of Jack is that far off. Yes, Jack was held captive in Afghantistan for a long time, and they all assumed that he was off on some Australian adventure. But Jack chose to leave his family and go to Afghanistan in the first place. Granted, the use of the word "adventure" is not exactly appropriate for war coverage, but he did decide to put himself at risk, knowing it could affect his family. It's something many journalists wrestle with. And I could see how Abby would have a hard time squaring those emotions, and I think Kate plays that conflicted beat very well. In fact, I think Abby would make a good junior journalist character, in the mold of her parents.
And Jennifer chose to get involved in the organ thieves story, leading to her almost dying, which would have left Abigail and JJ completely parentless, since Jack was a hostage in Afghanistan at the time. Over the years, Jennifer's taken the same risks for journalism that Jack has, yet she never gets even a fraction of the grief and criticism he gets over it. When both halves of a couple engage in the same career-driven, high-risk behavior, they should both be held accountable for it. Just another of the longstanding double standards I've disliked when it comes to J&J and their history.
The difference being that Jennifer didn't die or even fake die, so she didn't end up being absent.

I don't completely agree with her assessment of it either, but it's clearly how the show is choosing to play it. I think especially from Abby's point of view it makes sense. To the child, it doesn't so much matter why he wasn't there. What matters is that he wasn't.
Jennifer's survival isn't due to any particular cleverness or effort on her own part, though. We owe that so-called miracle to Wonderdoc. :rolleyes: And she got involved with the organ thieves story knowing it was dangerous and knowing she was the only parent in the picture, for whatever reason. I think that bonehead play merits at least as much criticism as Jack's fake walkabout and blog.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

It would have been so much better if she'd simply said that she wished Abigail had a more emotional reaction to her father's death, but the writers chose a different direction.

Remember when ED tried to explain the unexplainable?

Quote:

Some of us had a little trouble following Kristen's and John's plans.

Yeah, they were a little difficult. I know. It's just that she wanted to use John and Brady in a way that would really ruin Marlena's life. That was always her consummate plan, to completely decimate that family. That was her plan. I think John was a little bit loosey goosey. Kristen's plan was always pretty clear for her even if she was struggling with it as she was falling for Brady, but for John to sleep with Kristen to keep him away from Brady, it was....eh. You know, what are you gonna do? It was a plot point, and an...interesting concept.

On the bolded, just making that sound was enough for people to react with some amusement, and while still being upset with the storyline, knowing that the actress understood and acknowledged the feelings of the fans helped.
Edited by TreasureCove, Nov 11 2013, 12:16 PM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wow. She really answered some of those questions bad. Oh well.

spartan
Member Avatar

KM seems like such a sweetie and so well liked by the cast I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt here and say that she had no clue what a sensitive subject this is for some of us.

If anything, atleast now she knows. I hope she chooses her words more carefully in the future. I can appreciate she's in somewhat of a no-win situation with the Jack stuff but a different choice of words in her responses would have helped to not reopen my J&J wounds.

lysie
Member Avatar

Romancer66
Nov 11 2013, 12:07 PM
lysie
Nov 11 2013, 12:00 PM
Romancer66
jdawg1077

Jennifer's survival isn't due to any particular cleverness or effort on her own part, though. We owe that so-called miracle to Wonderdoc. :rolleyes: And she got involved with the organ thieves story knowing it was dangerous and knowing she was the only parent in the picture, for whatever reason. I think that bonehead play merits at least as much criticism as Jack's fake walkabout and blog.
That doesn't really matter. It still didn't lead to her being absent.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Kate Mansi is clearly clueless on the history of A.) Jack and B.) Her own character.

I know she received a fair bit of criticism on Twitter after this interview and while she is not responsible for the story we are seeing unfold, the girl needs to seriously RESEARCH her own role/show history before she opens her trap again and puts her foot in her mouth. Sorry but her response really did not sit well with me AT all.

#NotSorry
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Nov 12 2013, 12:32 PM.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

I don't blame KM tbh, but I hate the current version of the Deveraux family history that TPTB are going by. Not here for it.

Ocean

The only thing I have to say abigail was more upset about dannifer broke up like 20 times a month than jack's death. It looks like abigail is more cluless about the history of jack. She loves DR tan more than her own father and willing to do anything for dannifer get back together. Some body please kill dr tan already. He's too much involved in every ones story .

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply