Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Drake Hogestyn
Topic Started: Nov 11 2013, 12:38 AM (3,439 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

You’re back!
I am.

Are you on contract or recurring?
Yes, contract. But you know...a contract’s a contract. I just take it day by day.

Where’s John been?
I’ve been in Benghazi. I’ve been taking care of that situation in Syria. But he had more explosions at home to take care of, so that’s why he’s back in Salem. John had his ear to the tracks. He knew all of the stuff that was happening at the wedding and Marlena’s part in it, and he came back because Brady’s got some issues, but also because he’s got something for Hope. And then finally, he saved the best for last (points at Deidre Hall across the table). The way the storyline was, John made a decision and the way I had to play it as an actor is that blood is thicker than water. It’s the first time he’s made a decision and put really anybody in front of Marlena. So he put his son, to save his life, first banking on the belief that everything they’ve been through has made them strong enough to get through this. Will time have to go by? Absolutely. Is forgiveness part of the healing process? Absolutely. Will it happen? I don’t know, but I think the time and elements are right to come back and see if there’s a bridge here anywhere. Right now, he’s meeting some resistance.

What’s he like when he comes back?
He comes back knowing that she’s going to have a problem with him. But he knows he’s going to have a problem with her, too, because of her role in the Brady fiasco with Kristen. And he knew that whole thing was not going to end well anyway. So he’s a little bit proactive when he comes back. He doesn’t see her right away. He sees Brady first. He sees Hope. And Hope asks him if he’s seen Marlena, and he says, “No, and I’d appreciate your discretion.” And she comes back and says, “You need to.” And he says, “Please. Thank you.” But I see her, and she mentions something to John, and I say, “Well, how did you expect me to react? After what happened at the wedding? And what did you expect me to think about what your role in it was?” That kind of changes the spin of the ball a little bit. But she has got other major issues with everything that’s going on from six months ago with John making the decision to prove to Brady once and for all that Kristen is just whacked out. And he wasn’t really the sharpest knife in the drawer. He could have come up with other ways probably.

You were pretty open on Twitter about no knowing how to play the tail end of your last storyline...
As an actor it was very challenging because it went against character traits that I had developed. It goes back to John and the one thing that he would never do is hurt her or destroy her. That’s where I had a hard time and had to play the Biblical sense of blood is thicker than water.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

lol at where John's been.
it sounds like wherever John has really been is where he picks up whatever it is he has for Hope (which i'm still 1000% curious about).
not surprising that he's initially staying away from seeing Marlena. & it's so perfectly in character for Hope to tell him that he needs to see her.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Benghazi? Really? lol

Dreamy
Member Avatar

John needs to be there for Brady. I really want a good bonding scenes between this Father/Son duo!

Vicky4Mimi

Sounds very unJohn like.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Where's John been?
I've been in Benghazi. I've been taking care of that situation in Syria.

lol wtf?? :shrug:
I am so happy Drake is back and that John will be back I just hope pray the writers don't destroy his character again :pray:

Graceland
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Nov 11 2013, 12:45 AM
Benghazi? Really? lol
It'd make more sense if he was saying it sarcastically. :facepalm:

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

Interesting take on things. Not sure how Marlena's inadvertent bumbling (at the wedding) in anyway mitigates John's ill-conceived plan to out Kristen, but I guess we'll see. Glad Drake's back so all of these issues can be addressed.
Edited by Reese, Nov 11 2013, 01:23 AM.

Hummm
Member Avatar

Dreamy
Nov 11 2013, 12:53 AM
John needs to be there for Brady. I really want a good bonding scenes between this Father/Son duo!
I just hope the writers will let John do that,I just Don't trust the writers.

lysie
Member Avatar

Graceland
Nov 11 2013, 01:21 AM
LuvingLumi
Nov 11 2013, 12:45 AM
Benghazi? Really? lol
It'd make more sense if he was saying it sarcastically. :facepalm:
I'm pretty sure he was. I thought that'd be obvious.

Laufeyson
Member Avatar

I don't think it does, Marlena, I think will still be shown as being upset over that horribly, ill-conceived idea. Now they are both upset at each other and it's going to take that much longer to work through their problems. I just hope in the end that is what happens after John sorts out his son.

Kriss4

Am I understanding that John's gonna try to avert Marlena's attention from what he did to what she did?

What she did, she did without knowing all the facts. Victor kept them from her. She was trying to protect Brady in the long run, and she had no idea that Eric was the man in the video with Kristen.

John admitted that he WANTED Kristen, or at least he didn't deny wanting her. He may have started off with the sole intention of protecting Brady, but in the end, he was tempted to cheat with the woman who once tried to kill Marlena. That's off the charts, IMO.

To me, there just isn't any comparison, and for John to try to make one is not so good.

Laufeyson
Member Avatar

I do not think John wanted Kristen at all.

Hummm
Member Avatar

Vicky4Mimi
Nov 11 2013, 01:09 AM
Sounds very unJohn like.

Not really,but it does sound like they are not rushing things with John and Marlena(which is great for now).I really want to know what John has for Hope(I just hope it isn't bad news,Hope need happiness and fun time). I just want the writers to write John and Marlena in character, back together, have strong stories for them and upfront.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Hummm
Nov 11 2013, 01:42 AM
I really want to know what John has for Hope(I just hope it isn't bad news,Hope need happiness and fun time).
Hope can't really have genuine happiness & fun times if she's attached to an off-screen Bo. That's why I'm hoping what John has for Hope is actually bad news, or confirmation of bad news she had gotten prior.

daysmemories
Member Avatar

Dont care where he's been...yay John's back!

Kriss4

Laufeyson
Nov 11 2013, 01:41 AM
That's not what it sounded like when he talked to Marlena outside the pub.

Laufeyson
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Nov 11 2013, 01:50 AM
Laufeyson
He was trying to sell his stupid plot not only to convince Marlena but Kristen. It was all an act.

Jason47
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 11 2013, 12:38 AM
Are you on contract or recurring?
Yes, contract. But you know...a contract’s a contract. I just take it day by day.

That's always been Drake's philosophy. He knows it's only 13 weeks at a time, nothing else is guaranteed!

AFaithL

Laufeyson
Nov 11 2013, 01:51 AM
Kriss4
Nov 11 2013, 01:50 AM
Laufeyson
He was trying to sell his stupid plot not only to convince Marlena but Kristen. It was all an act.
Then he needs to tell her that.

Bottom line, I want answers from John. It needs to be clarified and fixed.
Edited by AFaithL, Nov 11 2013, 09:16 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply