Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DR Day of Days Interview with Drake Hogestyn
Topic Started: Nov 11 2013, 12:38 AM (3,281 Views)
hospitalitea

AFaithL
Nov 11 2013, 10:02 AM
I don't want him groveling ---- I want him fixing the history. I want him stating the truth of his history. And I want him taking back the LIE that he has "unresolved feelings" or an "unresolved attraction" towards Kristen.

Doing something stupid to save his son is one thing. His conversation outside the pub where said that "some deep, dark part of him still has feelings for Kristen" and that's why he could go through with it, is another. That's where the rewritten history comes in, and that's what needs to be repudiated with historically accurate truth. .

There were so many falsehood told in this storyline, beginning with trying to turn J&M affair into an ugly thing when Kristen talked to Eric. I want all the lies to be put to right & I want a plausible reason for John being willing to sleep with Kristen to save Brady, other than he had unresolved feelings for Kristen. BC I do not/did not buy that as truth at all. As you say history was rewritten to make this storyline happen, and now it is the writers job to return all of it to what we can see as being accurate. From this perspective ALONE I hate all of Whitesell and Tomlin writing.
Edited by hospitalitea, Nov 19 2013, 07:51 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

i<3ddjmalways
Member Avatar
What a beautiful couple!

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than the nightmare that was 2005. That was hell, but this is even worse. I mean if John could forgive Marlena for sleeping with Roman, why can't he be more understanding now? That is what makes no sense. John would NEVER give up on Marlena. :shame:

I have come to the conclusion that the writers nowadays just don't know shit and don't know how to write anything decent especially for John and Marlena. The John and Marlena we are seeing now are not the John and Marlena we fell in love with. John would never leave Marlena for six months for any reason, he would never take Kristen's side over Marlena's, or believe she had changed. John and Marlena were always friends first and foremost. When they first met, they were friends and were there for each other, and then when they got married when he was RoJohn, they were friends and were there for each other, when the real Roman came back and they separated, they were friends and were there for each other, when John almost left town after Isabella died, he and Marlena couldn't say goodbye to each other and had an affair and ended up having a baby together. After Roman divorced Marlena, John and Marlena were friends and were there for each other while secretly pining for one another, they remained friends through Maison Blanche when they saved each other, they remained friends through the Possession when John fought like hell to save her soul, they remained friends in Aremid and Marlena never doubted his innocence in Tony's death, they remained friends and stood by each other through Kristen's crap until they were finally reunited. And everything from then on till they returned in 2011 has been them doing whatever they could to save each other, that has never changed.
Then suddenly Kristen comes back after being thought dead after many years and then suddenly, the friendship, love and connection they shared was suddenly gone? John and Marlena were ALWAYS friends no matter what!!! Now they can't even stand the sight of one another? Ridiculous! :hmmph:
My tears will never dry as long as J&M are apart and from the looks of things, it looks like my tears will forever sting my eyes and wet my cheeks because even with John returning things don't look promising for them. :(
Thank you John and Marlena for everything. You sure had a good run but all good things unfortunately must end. I will always love you and miss you. :'(
Edited by i<3ddjmalways, Nov 19 2013, 09:43 PM.

Hummm
Member Avatar

i<3ddjmalways
Nov 19 2013, 09:42 PM
Just when I thought it couldn't get worse than the nightmare that was 2005. That was hell, but this is even worse. I mean if John could forgive Marlena for sleeping with Roman, why can't he be more understanding now? That is what makes no sense. John would NEVER give up on Marlena. :shame:

I have come to the conclusion that the writers nowadays just don't know shit and don't know how to write anything decent especially for John and Marlena. The John and Marlena we are seeing now are not the John and Marlena we fell in love with. John would never leave Marlena for six months for any reason, he would never take Kristen's side over Marlena's, or believe she had changed. John and Marlena were always friends first and foremost. When they first met, they were friends and were there for each other, and then when they got married when he was RoJohn, they were friends and were there for each other, when the real Roman came back and they separated, they were friends and were there for each other, when John almost left town after Isabella died, he and Marlena couldn't say goodbye to each other and had an affair and ended up having a baby together. After Roman divorced Marlena, John and Marlena were friends and were there for each other while secretly pining for one another, they remained friends through Maison Blanche when they saved each other, they remained friends through the Possession when John fought like hell to save her soul, they remained friends in Aremid and Marlena never doubted his innocence in Tony's death, they remained friends and stood by each other through Kristen's crap until they were finally reunited. And everything from then on till they returned in 2011 has been them doing whatever they could to save each other, that has never changed.
Then suddenly Kristen comes back after being thought dead after many years and then suddenly, the friendship, love and connection they shared was suddenly gone? John and Marlena were ALWAYS friends no matter what!!! Now they can't even stand the sight of one another? Ridiculous! :hmmph:
My tears will never dry as long as J&M are apart and from the looks of things, it looks like my tears will forever sting my eyes and wet my cheeks because even with John returning things don't look promising for them. :(
Thank you John and Marlena for everything. You sure had a good run but all good things unfortunately must end. I will always love you and miss you. :'(
:hail: You should send this to the so call writer's,because this is the true history of J&M,the so call writer's should know the true history of each character's and couple's,just like Bo would Never leave Hope and so on. I think the so call writer's need to watch old clip's,Please bring J&M back together and forever and write them in character.
I want new writer's.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

i<3ddjmalways

:hail: :wub:

hospitalitea

DELETE COMMENT
Edited by hospitalitea, Nov 20 2013, 04:49 PM.

hospitalitea

Snowing Fan
Nov 20 2013, 07:23 AM
i<3ddjmalways

:hail: :wub:

hospitalitea

"THAT'S A FACT"
Edited by hospitalitea, Nov 20 2013, 11:06 PM.

hospitalitea

hospitalitea
Nov 20 2013, 04:49 PM
Snowing Fan
Nov 20 2013, 07:23 AM
i<3ddjmalways

Then suddenly Kristen comes back after being thought dead after many years and then suddenly, the friendship, love and connection they shared was suddenly gone? John and Marlena were ALWAYS friends no matter what!!!
"THAT'S A FACT"

thepadange

Interview "Drake Hogestyn on John's mistake". I'm not sure if it wasn't posted.
http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2013/11/days-drake-hogestyn-on-johns-terrible-mistake-and-possible-closure-with-marlena

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

thepadange
Nov 22 2013, 05:17 AM
“You are called talent, and you don’t write the show. Your responsibility is to pick up a script and to the best of your ability, you bring [the writers’] vision onto the screen, regardless of what your interpretation is,”

Then why didn't he do that? lol

IIttu
Member Avatar

Panda Panda
Nov 22 2013, 08:11 PM
thepadange
“You are called talent, and you don’t write the show. Your responsibility is to pick up a script and to the best of your ability, you bring [the writers’] vision onto the screen, regardless of what your interpretation is,”

That part made me chuckle, too. Maybe (hopefully) he's learnt his lesson now..

AFaithL

thepadange
Dude, I just want John written in character this time. Because the person Drake portrayed this last year was NOT John. It was a rewritten, character-assassinated version of John. The real John would have never even *remotely* trusted Kristen for a split second, period, or treated Marlena like crap. The real John wouldn't have come up with a bogus plan to save his son that involved bedding a woman he couldn't have given less of a shit about (and hadn't given a shit about since 1996). The real John would rather take a gun and blow his brains out before he did something so disgusting. And the real John definitely wouldn't go around spouting some rewritten bullshit about still "feeling" something for Kristen. Um, no. That never happened.

So Tomlin, please make sure you make John likeable this time and study the true history of John and Marlena. Marlena doesn't need to redeem herself....John does. Get his history right this time, please.

hospitalitea

IIttu
Nov 22 2013, 08:26 PM
Panda Panda
Nov 22 2013, 08:11 PM
thepadange

That part made me chuckle, too. Maybe (hopefully) he's learnt his lesson now..
But I think he did do this and the fans really hated it.These are Drake's tweets at the time he was taping the show...

Drake Hogestyn þ@DrakeHogestyn 12 Feb
Acting is about challenging yourself, breaking out of your comfort zone and discoveries. I'm heading to the set to experience all 3.
Drake Hogestyn þ@DrakeHogestyn 12 Feb
Pacing in my dressing room trying to understand John Blacks choices and how to play these scenes today

These are his interview comments,
You are called talent, and you don’t write the show. Your responsibility is to pick up a script and to the best of your ability, you bring [the writers’] vision onto the screen, regardless of what your interpretation is,” he explains. “You can’t change plot logic or character shading. Even if you develop a character for 25, 28 years, your job as talent is to look at the story and take that story and move it forward in the vision of the writers. And that is the respect that every actor has to have. Once you start blurring that line or changing plot logic, character shading, it just muddies the water and nobody wins.”

“So, as an actor, do they write something that John would consider out of character — this is back eight months ago or so — yeah. But how does he get around that?” the Indiana native continues. “He makes a decision, the biblical choice: Blood is thicker than water. And it’s like, ‘I will save my son at all costs to myself’ and by extension, hurting Marlena, which is the last thing he would ever want to do. But he’s got to save his son. So, now he’s back [in town] after all of the fall out. He knew this was not going to end well for Brady, and he’s not back to say ‘I told you so,’ but he will give all the support he can.”

While I do not like where this took John Black the character, I think that Drake played it the right way as written. Now John has a really big hole to climb out off with Marlena, but if it's well written I believe John/Drake are more than capable of pulling this Miracle off~
Edited by hospitalitea, Nov 22 2013, 09:24 PM.

Panda Panda
Member Avatar

Drake didn't play up to the material he was given. With the exception of one or two scenes, he didn't put any effort into his performance.
Like, zero.

That's why some people "hated" Drake's acting/John during the entire storyline

AFaithL

hospitalitea
Nov 22 2013, 09:21 PM
“He makes a decision, the biblical choice: Blood is thicker than water. And it’s like, ‘I will save my son at all costs to myself’ and by extension, hurting Marlena, which is the last thing he would ever want to do. But he’s got to save his son.
Yes, Drake, I get that. But I refuse to believe that the real John could even "get it up" in the first place when it comes to Kristen, a woman who tried to destroy the life of Marlena, his son, and his step-son. The real John would have worked with Marlena in a different way instead of treating her like crap.

So let's make sure the real John is brought back this time, okay? I don't want to be hating him like I did for a year.

lysie
Member Avatar

Drake didn't play the material as written. He didn't play the material at all. He stood there and said some lines. The greatest evidence of this, IMO, is that he did play the material in John/Kristen scenes. Oddly enough, I thought those scenes were the most OOC, but those are the ones he chose to show up for.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

lysie
Nov 22 2013, 09:40 PM
Drake didn't play the material as written. He didn't play the material at all. He stood there and said some lines.
Unless he was told to play it cold. The he did play it as written

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 22 2013, 10:16 PM
lysie
Drake didn't play the material as written. He didn't play the material at all. He stood there and said some lines.
There's absolutely no way that's how he was told to play it. And based on his tweets, it doesn't sound like he was told how to play it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hummm
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 22 2013, 10:16 PM
lysie
Who know's,all I do know is a writer should know a true history of a character and write them that way.

No1_ILoveLucyFan
Member Avatar

But isn't it up to Tomlin & his typing chimps...err...writing team, to explain John's actions & reactions to what was going on with Brainless, Kritter, Marlena, etc? To fault Drake for that - although I'll grant you some of his scenes were less than stellar - is just silly.

SILLY I say!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply