Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, November 26th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 26 2013, 01:07 AM (14,459 Views)
Keith
Member Avatar

People keep mentioning it being odd that Theo was some perceptive of social cues. Generally, autism can make those on the spectrum MORE perceptive than others, they just often won't speak about it or they speak about it when others won't. As someone else said upthread, I think they made him be so perceptive because he was missing a social cue - he wasn't supposed to call out what everyone else could clearly see or were trying to ignore. That's how it read to me.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KAM

six
Nov 26 2013, 12:03 PM
lysie
Nov 26 2013, 11:30 AM
TBH, I have never liked any version of Nick, and I think GG and BB are very similar in their acting styles.
I'm going to bookmark this for the next time you question my tastes. BB has shown more emotions with his eyes on screen than GG has with his entire being. I don't think we even need the "under 30" qualifier when we're comparing BB's skills to the other actors on the show. I'm not sure anyone else could have done a better job with yesterday's scenes than he did.

At the time, I also wondered why the show didn't follow up with Nick after the revelation about the rapes, but now it makes sense to me. They wanted to make him sympathetic, or at least explain the reasons for his actions without redeeming him. I do wonder why the Hortons didn't do more to follow up with him, or stage an intervention of their own to try and get him to get the help he needed.
I agree. At the time, I thought it was a huge lapse not to have Nick's Horton relatives pressing him to go into therapy. I was envisioning great Nick and Marlena scenes with BB and DH being wonderful together -- dealing with Jessica and Marie and some back story on Nick's childhood. Given Nick's heredity, the Hortons were pretty quick to write off his first obsessive behaviors to abuse of prescription drugs and then to just take his word that he had faced his prison trauma and was handling it well on his own. It just seemed a horrible waste of all BB's great work with the Jensen scenes.

But if Nick does not get killed off -- one way or another -- in this story arc, then perhaps an engaging mental health redemption story may be yet to come. Perhaps then the Hortons will not be too engrossed in Jennifer's so much more pressing problems to actually be there for Nick on more than a pop up basis.

naptown
Member Avatar

I miss Chelsea! She was definitely a character that grew on me over time. Aside from the ridiculousness of her resurrection from the bayou swamp, and using the exact same contrived plot point that she and Billie didn't get along, (just like Billie and Kate before they found out they were mother/daughter), Chelsea grew from being a bitchy spoiled brat to being more well-rounded and level headed. I think RM did great work during the Zach's death storyline too and it helped mature Chelsea.

I loved her with nerdy Nick, but not so much with Uncle Max, but once again, Melanie ruined that too. I find it funny that Abby was still in college back then too!

daysjahvu
Member Avatar

Keith
Nov 26 2013, 12:42 PM
People keep mentioning it being odd that Theo was some perceptive of social cues. Generally, autism can make those on the spectrum MORE perceptive than others, they just often won't speak about it or they speak about it when others won't. As someone else said upthread, I think they made him be so perceptive because he was missing a social cue - he wasn't supposed to call out what everyone else could clearly see or were trying to ignore. That's how it read to me.
When they had the Daysaster, Theo was helping the little girl and found her mother for her. I think they were hinting that he may have some of Celeste's perceptive/predictive gifts. I agree the autism thing has been swept under the rug for the most part of late. I believe it was originally put into the story arc because Higley's son has autism and they have put it aside, like Johnny's eye, Phillip's leg, etc.
Edited by daysjahvu, Nov 26 2013, 12:54 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

naptown
Nov 26 2013, 12:50 PM
I miss Chelsea! She was definitely a character that grew on me over time. Aside from the ridiculousness of her resurrection from the bayou swamp, and using the exact same contrived plot point that she and Billie didn't get along, (just like Billie and Kate before they found out they were mother/daughter), Chelsea grew from being a bitchy spoiled brat to being more well-rounded and level headed. I think RM did great work during the Zach's death storyline too and it helped mature Chelsea.

I loved her with nerdy Nick, but not so much with Uncle Max, but once again, Melanie ruined that too. I find it funny that Abby was still in college back then too!
Chelsea is one of the few recent characters whose maturation and redemption was well written and made sense. We saw her go from a teen who just wanted the attention of a famous racecar driver, to a manipulative bitch who would let nothing stand in the way of trying to get her mom & dad together, to a truly remorseful stepdaughter, to a woman who was working as a therapist, helping out the family, and seeking advice from her stepmother (partly because her mom had left town & also because she wasn't gonna ask her dad for his opinion on guys she wanted to date).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Keith
Member Avatar

daysjahvu
Nov 26 2013, 12:53 PM
Keith
When they had the Daysaster, Theo was helping the little girl and found her mother for her. I think they were hinting that he may have some of Celeste's perceptive/predictive gifts. I agree the autism thing has been swept under the rug for the most part of late. I believe it was originally put into the story arc because Higley's son has autism and they have put it aside, like Johnny's eye, Phillip's leg, etc.
I disagree. I think its evident every time they choose to use him, but its subtle - which oftentimes autism can be, depending on where on the spectrum a kid falls.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

daysjahvu
Keith
It's unfortunate that the story's been mostly swept under the rug because, unlike Johnny's eye & Phillip's leg, a parent dealing with a child with autism is very relevant. Also, Terrell is older now & would be able to better portray a child with autism. Regardless of the reason why it was written, it would be nice to see it make a comeback. The last time the show really mentioned it was when Lexie was dying. Abe didn't know how he should go about talking to Theo about his mom, etc.

six
Member Avatar

Keith
Nov 26 2013, 12:56 PM
daysjahvu
Keith
I disagree. I think its evident every time they choose to use him, but its subtle - which oftentimes autism can be, depending on where on the spectrum a kid falls.
Days made a point to say he'd made remarkable progress through early intervention, as well.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

ha! they added in a louder *thwack* sound fx to make Gabi hitting Nick with that rock sound more forceful. lol

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

bwahahaha. Caroline to Victor: "You son of a bitch! How could you?!"

six
Member Avatar

Nicole and this guy look out of place drinking champagne on that cheap set.

Team WilSon
Member Avatar
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

Oh Caroline! :D

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Eric is a photographer again!!! I LOVE that they've remembered that!

Keith
Member Avatar

Eric's taking pictures!

metitle
Member Avatar

what is with Brady and choke holding people.

six
Member Avatar

Dimera security fails again...

naptown
Member Avatar

Once again proving that TPTB care about only "shipping" and using characters only as a prop or a foil for 1 particular ship, rather than writing well-rounded complex characters.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I am HERE today for Camila Banus!!!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

ha! Nicole is back to being a TV reporter & her 1st story is the Eric scandal!

metitle
Member Avatar

so that's why Hope will go to the Dimera mansion to search.
Roman wants to look at Kristen's papers.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply