Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (8,511 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I've posted these in the past in the Classic DAYS thread, but I thought I'd just collect them all in one spot so they can be accessed more easily and read in order. When I acquire/post synopses from issues that I'm currently missing, I'll edit posts to include them in the proper order so the story can be read straight through. First up, the very 1st DAYS synopsis from the very 1st issue of Soap Opera Digest...

Edited to included the DAYS synopsis from the October 1975 issue of 'The Daytime Soap Opera Review' which covers events immediately preceding the 1st SOD synopsis

(actual synopsis scans hidden by spoiler tags to save board space)

DAYTIME SOAP OPERA REVIEW SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 1975

Spoiler: click to toggle

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 1975

David is feared dead after jumping in the Salem River. Maggie finally starts walking on her own without crutches, but keeps it a secret to keep Mickey/Marty to hold on to him because of her insecurities regarding Linda. Alice blames Doug & Julie for David's death. Doug decides to give Hope a little brother or sister via artificial insemination. Neil & Phyllis elope. As Salem plans David's memorial service, he's revealed alive outside of Salem.

COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 1975

COVER DATE: DECEMBER 1975

COVER DATE: JANUARY 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 11:28 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

This is SO cool Matt!!! Alice blamed Doug and Julie for a death! Wow. I wasn't born yet but I've heard of some of these stories. Soooo cool. Thanks buddy!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

james0479
Nov 27 2013, 12:11 PM
This is SO cool Matt!!! Alice blamed Doug and Julie for a death! Wow. I wasn't born yet but I've heard of some of these stories. Soooo cool. Thanks buddy!
Alice used to be human and not the perfect person she became later, believe it or not. She believed Brooke's lies that Doug and Julie had an affair while Addie was alive. Earlier, she had blamed Bill and Laura for Mickey's heart attack and was hostile to them.

And I really wish y'all could have seen Brooke and Linda in action. They were great villainesses. I have to laugh that Linda was supposedly so grief-stricken over Jim's death. I remember her standing over his hospital bed one time fantasizing about withholding his medicine from him.

Thanks Matt!

six
Member Avatar

Thanks, Matt. I remember reading the Days unsorased thread and being surprised at how dark some of the stories were and how flawed the "perfect" Horton family was.

jam6242
Member Avatar

The picture labeled Brooke Bundy in the March 1976 scan looks like Janice Lynde (from Y&R)!
Edited by jam6242, Nov 27 2013, 12:50 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

six
Nov 27 2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Matt. I remember reading the Days unsorased thread and being surprised at how dark some of the stories were and how flawed the "perfect" Horton family was.
Oh, god. The "perfect" Horton family was FAR from it which makes the "Sainted Hortons" label today seem so weird. Hell, Mickey went off the damn deep end (as we'll soon see in these synopses) and actually tried to kill Bill. And perfect Maggie was FAR from perfect thanks to her own insecurities. She's the one who first found out who "Marty" really was and deliberately kept the truth of his identity from him out of fear that he'd leave her for his life (and real wife Laura) back in Salem.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 27 2013, 12:30 PM

COVER DATE: JANUARY 1976

currently unavailable

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by Jason47, Nov 27 2013, 02:56 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 27 2013, 12:30 PM
COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 1976

currently unavailable

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

six
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 27 2013, 12:57 PM
six
Nov 27 2013, 12:47 PM
Oh, god. The "perfect" Horton family was FAR from it which makes the "Sainted Hortons" label today seem so weird. Hell, Mickey went off the damn deep end (as we'll soon see in these synopses) and actually tried to kill Bill. And perfect Maggie was FAR from perfect thanks to her own insecurities. She's the one who first found out who "Marty" really was and deliberately kept the truth of his identity from him out of fear that he'd leave her for his life (and real wife Laura) back in Salem.
The part that really shocked me was when he

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 1976

Brooke is pregnant by David and he proposes marriage, but she has an abortion. Later, Brooke admits to being 27 and not 21 like she's always lied. Mickey/Marty brings little Janice (from the orphanage) to spend Christmas at the farm to surprise Maggie and they decide to adopt her. Greg & Neil spar over Amanda, her health, and her well-being. Don finds Trish's biological father in Arizona. Mike is crushed by fallen farm wagon while on Mickey/Marty & Maggie's farm. When Mike needs a blood transfusion, Mickey/Marty learns that neither he nor Laura's blood types match Mike's & realizes he's not Mike's father (and, after investigation, that he's not Melissa's father, either.)

COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 06:44 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I edited the thread slightly to move the March 76 synopsis to the end after Jason graciously posted the January & February synopses to maintain continuity & chronology. (I'm OCD like that)

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 27 2013, 10:54 PM
...after Jason graciously posted the January & February synopses...
You're welcome!! :)

Are you missing any others from 1976-March 1978?? I happened to have scanned those synopses to the computer several years back, so it was quite easy to add them in today when I saw this thread started.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Jason47
Nov 27 2013, 11:53 PM
Matt

Are you missing any others from 1976-March 1978?? I happened to have scanned those synopses to the computer several years back, so it was quite easy to add them in today when I saw this thread started.
I don't think so. I have all the rest of 76 and I'm sure I've got all of 77 and 78 (although I *might* be missing 1 issue, I'm not sure)

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 27 2013, 11:55 PM
Jason47
Nov 27 2013, 11:53 PM
Matt

I don't think so. I have all the rest of 76 and I'm sure I've got all of 77 and 78 (although I *might* be missing 1 issue, I'm not sure)
Okay, just let me know when you need another issue and I'll scan it in!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: APRIL 1976

Mickey shoots Bill in the arm, tries to strangle Linda (mistaking her for Laura), & is committed (against Alice, Linda, & Maggie's opposition.)
Johnny returns when Robert wires him that Rebecca is pregnant. Johnny wants Rebecca to abort. Robert proposes marriage.
Brooke accompanies Trish to Arizona to investigate Trish's biological father.
After Laura visits Mickey in the sanitarium, he tries to strangle a blonde nurse who looks like her.
On the way back to Salem in a snowstorm, Laura goes into labor. She and Bill stop at a farm & the farmer's wife (Rosie) helps deliver Bill & Laura's baby girl (i.e. Jennifer Rose Horton.)
Mickey wants to act as his own counsel (!) at his commitment hearing & pretends to be sane.
Greg helps Susan realize that she's frigid.

COVER DATE: MARCH 1976

COVER DATE: APRIL 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 07:11 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

COVER DATE: MAY 1976

Mary tries to separate Neil & Phyllis by accusing him of having an affair with Amanda, but backs off when she learns of Amanda's dire medical condition.
Trish meets her half-sister Ginny Stanhope & learns of her family, but without revealing her identity, when she does tell her father, James Stanhope, the truth the reaction isn't what she wanted.
Alice collapses during Mickey's commitment hearing.
The judge rules to commit Mickey to the sanitarium & he snaps & tries to strangle Bill.
David & the Grants help Brooke deal with her mother, Adele's, alcoholism and it's effect on her health.
Mike is finally told of Mickey's mental collapse and is allowed to visit him.
Mickey plans to use Mike (and everyone else he can) to get out of the sanitarium & get revenge on Bill & Laura.

COVER DATE: MAY 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 07:40 PM.

Sandell

WOWWEE///THANK YOU MATT....GREAT READS, FOR THESE HOLIDAY WEEKEND..

THANKS YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

COVER DATE: JUNE 1976

• Mickey wants Laura to be his doctor (despite EVERYONE'S misgivings).
  • Greg continues to pressure a gravely ill Amanda into marrying him, but she remains focused solely on the completion of the new hospital wing.
  • Janice (the girl Maggie wants to adopt) celebrates her 5th birthday in the children's ward of the hospital.
  • Rebecca agrees to marry Johnny, but continues to hide the truth about the true paternity of her baby (i.e. secretly Doug's via surrogacy).
  • Adele continues to struggle with her alcoholism while Brooke resents Bob's sincere efforts to help.
  • Mike continues trying to leave the hospital where he's recovering from his accident to see Mickey while everyone else tries to keep them separated for their own individual good. Mike's efforts have grave & dire consequences on his own health.
  • Trish's biological father (Mr. Stanhope) arrives in Salem to her joy, but he denies his paternity & accuses her of blackmail.
  • Doug continues to pursue Julie despite her divorce from Bob not being final. Don competes with Doug for Julie's affections.

DAYTIME SOAP OPERA REVIEW
COVER DATE: JUNE 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 07:55 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JULY 1976

• Mickey is allowed to visit Mike in the hospital. Everyone avoids telling Mike that Bill is his real father.
  • Amanda's medical condition worsens & she must decide whether to have potentially fatal surgery. She does & it's discovered that she has a brain tumor.
  • Julie gives Maggie a makeover to compete with all the beautiful women in Mickey's life.
  • Phyllis is jealous of Neil's attention to other women, including Maggie & Amanda. Mary reveals Amanda's condition to Phyllis.
  • Sharon Duvall is 1st mentioned. Sharon wants Julie to paint her portrait.
  • Bob & Julie's divorce is finally final.
  • Romance blossoms between David & Valerie.
  • The Grants continue to try to help Adele with her alcoholism while Adele tries to keep Brooke from telling Bob that he's her father.
  • Jeri Clayton returns.
  • Mickey wants a divorce from Maggie.
  • Just as Doug & Julie put aside their differences and work on their future, Doug's secret ex-wife Kim Douglas arrives. Don becomes smitten with Kim.

THE DAYTIME SOAP OPERA REVIEW
COVER DATE: JULY 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 11:31 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: AUGUST 1976

• Greg believes Amanda is avoiding needed surgery because she expects that she'll die. She later promises to have the surgery as soon as the new clinic wing is dedicated.
  • Trish is upset that Jeri has moved back in with Jack Clayton. Trish & Jeri's relationship remains strained.
  • Kim clearly has her eye set on getting Doug back, which upsets Julie.
  • Mike is released from hospital & returns home with Trish.
  • Mickey devastates Mike by telling him he's not his father, Mike believes it's only Mickey's illness talking.
  • Mike suspects Linda is the source of Mickey's negative obsession with blondes.
  • Bill confesses the truth of Mike's paternity to him, causing him much resentment. Mike now regards his mother, Laura, as little more than a tramp and blames both Bill & Laura for Mickey's current condition.
  • Doug has decided that he's no longer interested in the baby he arranged to have conceived via artificial insemination by a surrogate mother (i.e. secretly Rebecca). Rebecca tells Johnny the truth about the baby & is relieved that he still wants both her and the baby.
  • Doug proposes marriage to Julie, causing Kim to tell him that they were never divorced! Kim later files for legal divorce, but wants a healthy share of Doug's finances. Doug tries to keep his marital complications secret from Julie, but when he learns from Don (Kim's attorney) that he & Kim have inherited a Polynesian island, he finds out that they can't get divorced for another 6 months or they forfeit the inheritance. When Julie finally learns the truth, she gives Doug back his ring and later turns to Don for support.

COVER DATE: AUGUST 1976

Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2013, 11:44 PM.

3 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Members: Matt
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply