Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (24,047 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF JUNE 15 - JUNE 19, 1981
Alex implied to David that he knows something shady about David's San Diego activities. Maggie comforted Stuart, whose daughter-in-law died in San Diego. Alex caught on to Mary's campaign to turn Jessica further against Marie. Marie told the Mother Superior that Jessica is rushing into becoming a nun. Marlena suspected Don when a strange man pleaded for her help on her radio show. Jake wowed Hope. Renee moved Jack into Mrs. Stoner's rooming house, thinking she would soon share Chris' apartment. David informed Chris that someone else patented his invention. Marlena convinced Stuart to hire his son, Evan, at the medical center.
WEEK OF JUNE 22 - JUNE 26, 1981
Doug made a scene after finding Hope in Jake's sleazy room. Tod apologized for clobbering Chris. Stuart consulted Marlena about Evan, who was grieving over his wife's death. Jessica encouraged Mary to grab Alex away from Marie. Don investigated Marlena's weird phone call. Mickey feared that Maggie wouldn't surrender her child once it was born. Mike befriended Evan, who was David's buddy in San Diego. Renee told Julie she thought Jake had a dishonorable reason for remaining in Salem. David agreed to Renee's radio talk show idea.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: SEPTEMBER 1, 1981

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JUNE 29 - JULY 3, 1981
Chris broke off with Renee after she admitted her love. Jessica gave Alex her half-hearted blessing to wed Marie. Jessica rebuffed Tod and daydreamed of Joshua. Hope turned Doug away. Julie didn't share Doug's distrust of Jake. Stuart dined with Lee. Stuart harangued Evan for snapping at Maggie. Mickey grew insecure over Maggie and Stuart's mutual admiration society. Marie and David questioned Alex's sudden trip to San Diego. Mary believed she was close to purchasing the Anderson plant from Tod. Tod and Renee commiserated over their broken hearts.
WEEK OF JULY 6 - JULY 10, 1981
Alex, who had something on David from San Diego, hit David up for a loan so he could purchase the Anderson plant. Mary pushed Tod to sell her the plant by promising to steer Jessica his way. Mike proposed to Trish. Liz accused Don of neglecting her for Marlena, who admitted to Joshua that Don is not yet our of her system. Lee tried to throw Neil and Liz together for Marlena's sake. Evan opened up to Maggie about his grief. Jessica befriended Evan. Evan and Neil's San Diego conflicts resurfaced. David warned Marie about Alex. Jake taunted Renee about her pursuit of Tod.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: SEPTEMBER 15, 1981

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JULY 13 - JULY 17, 1981
Alex was shot by a mystery assailant. Renee told police that she saw David removing fingerprints from a gun. Neil confirmed Evan's suspicions that Evan fathered Maggie's child through the surrogate mother program. Evan pursued Maggie in order to win his child. Chris suspected Tod of shooting Alex. Trish supported David. Jake accused Renee of capitalizing on Alex's publicity. Doug and Hope made amends. Marlena comforted Don over his handling of Alex's shooting.
WEEK OF JULY 20 - JULY 24, 1981
David was charged with shooting Alex after Don forced Doug to admit he had heard David threaten Alex. Julie fumed at Doug for implicating David. Stuart and Neil discouraged Maggie's friendship with Evan. Jessica ran scared after addressing Marie as "Mom." Alex's condition stabilized. Mike and Trish argued over her concern for David. Lee dated Stuart. Lee disapproved of Renee's campaign to smear David. David refused to tell Doug what Alex had on him.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: SEPTEMBER 29, 1981

Edited by Matt, Mar 18 2014, 11:25 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JULY 27 - JULY 31, 1981
Jessica formed a sleazy alter ego named Angel. She kept mum that she was evicted from the convent and continued to wear a nun's habit. Alex lost consciousness before he could name his assailant. Stuart and Neil remained secretive about Maggie's child, which Evan fathered, unbeknownst to Evan. Evan comforted Maggie after the press had fun with her pregnancy. Marlena received an ominous note. Liz pressed Don to marry her pronto. Tod experienced depression. Jake pursued "Angel." Marie asked Marlena to treat Jessica. Trish put off marrying Mike. Renee publicized David's secret.
WEEK OF AUGUST 3 - AUGUST 7, 1981
Alex regained consciousness and revealed he had not seen his assailant, then Mary fed his suspicion that David was the culprit. Tod, who kept watch on Alex, told Liz he had a drunken blackout on the night of Alex's shooting. Don investigated Marlena's strange letters. Liz feared Don was putting off their wedding. Mickey felt slandered by the article about Maggie. Neil failed to pry Evan away from Maggie. Lee taunted Maggie about her pregnancy. Trish lit into Renee for smearing David. Doug helped David's case at the trial.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 13, 1981

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF AUGUST 10 - AUGUST 14, 1981
Alex realized he's paralyzed. Mary prevented David from stealing Alex's report about David shuttling drug packages in California. Mary gave the report to Don, who entered it as evidence. David insisted he was unaware the packages contained dope and refused to name his mob bosses. Trish wrote David off. Lee pursued Stuart. Hope offered to introduce Jessica to Jake, who doesn't know Jessica is Angel. Liz planned a splashy wedding to Don. Marie rented a pad for herself and Alex. Maggie insisted on salvaging her friendship with Evan.
WEEK OF AUGUST 17 - AUGUST 21, 1981
Mike and Trish made it to the sack and became engaged. Don agreed to marry Liz in two weeks. David was convicted of shooting Alex, then swore Renee to secrecy that he, Trish, and Scotty are mob targets. David's cell mate was hired to kill him. The syndicate also monitored Renee. Evan comforted Maggie when she had pregnancy complications, and decided not to leave town. Jessica, in her Angel disguise, left nasty notes on Marie and Alex's door. Marie put off sleeping with Alex. Hope resumed dating Jake, this time with Doug's cautious approval. Hope gave Julie the cold shoulder. Renee set out to clear David.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 27, 1981

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Feb 14 2014, 11:07 AM
SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 25, 1980

Hey Matt, I was just getting the 1980 synopses ready to post on my site, and I noticed your "Page 2" of 11/25/80 is not linked correctly here on DR. The second "img" is missing the /

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Feb 18 2014, 12:16 PM
SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 23, 1980

One more image file to correct, Matt. Same thing happened with "Page 6" of 12/23/80...

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

FIXED! Thank you, Jason. This is what happens when I type some of these up so fast. lol

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 20 2014, 03:22 PM
FIXED! Thank you, Jason. This is what happens when I type some of these up so fast. lol
You're welcome! I should finally catch up to you and have the 1981 links ready by the time you finish posting 1981. Have to thank you again for doing all the scans. This will serve as a great reference if I need to quickly check any storyline points, and if anyone ever asks me where to find out what happened on Days during the early years, I can point them right to the synopsis index page with all your scans. Thanks again!! :)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF AUGUST 24 - AUGUST 28, 1981
Jessica, in her "Angel" personality, pursued Jake and harassed Marie and Alex. David broke out of jail and had a car accident, then called Renee without disclosing his whereabouts. David hid in Stuart's radio studio. Reporter Mark Garrett pestered Mickey and Maggie. Maggie had second thoughts about surrendering her child and failed to pry info from Neil about the adoptive parents. Hope went ape over Jake. Marlena received more frightening calls. Alex clashed with Marie and Julie over David. Mike suspected Renee knows dirt about David.
WEEK OF AUGUST 31 - SEPTEMBER 4, 1981
Don and Liz tied the knot. Mary conceded defeat to Marie for Alex and teased Neil about rekindling old sparks. Renee taped conversations with David after finding him in Stuart's studio, and became his ally to get a scoop. Marlena worried that her caller killed a girl. Alex was depressed that Marie avoided sexual contact. Jake broke a date with Hope to party with Angel. Tod dug Hope. Hope warmed up to Julie. Renee taunted Lee about her intentions toward Stuart. Lee noticed Renee's tape recorder. Mike tried to win over Scotty. Jessica rebuffed Tod, who considered sessions with Marlena. Tod and Joshua reconciled. Neil and Stuart tried to block a neurosurgery department so that Evan would leave.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 10, 1981

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 7 - SEPTEMBER 11, 1981
Mike scared away a henchman who held Trish and Scotty at gunpoint. Lee intercepted David's latest call to Renee and warned Renee that she is keeping an eye on her. Jake narrowly escaped seeing Jessica while consulting Neil about Angel's headaches. Neil caught Jessica hallucinating. Hope decided to locate Angel to find out what she has that thrills Jake. Liz turned green when Don and Marlena joined forces to catch her mystery caller. Julie feared that Mike and Trish are turning Scotty against David. Neil dated Mary. Lee tried to match Renee with Evan. Renee hid David in the Body Connection basement.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 14 - SEPTEMBER 18, 1981
Hope saw Jake in a clinch with Jessica (Angel), then discovered Jessica was booted out of the convent. Mike discovered David's hideaway, but promised David and Renee he would keep mum. Renee developed the hots for David. Stuart forced Mark not to print his story on Maggie. Evan suspected Maggie wants to keep her baby. Alex planned a risky operation for his paralysis. Marie finally set a wedding date with Alex, but was leery of Alex and Mary's new friendship. Stuart was further enchanted by Lee. Jessica's "Angel" persona vowed to terminate Jessica.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 24, 1981

Edited by Matt, Mar 27 2014, 10:42 AM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 24 2014, 10:37 AM

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 7 - SEPTEMBER 11, 1981
Mike scared away a henchman who held Trish and Scotty at gunpoint. Lee intercepted David's latest call to Renee and warned Renee that she is keeping an eye on her. Jake narrowly escaped seeing Jessica while consulting Neil about Angel's headaches. Neil caught Jessica hallucinating. Hope decided to locate Angel to find out what she has that thrills Jake. Liz turned green when Don and Marlena joined forces to catch her mystery caller. Julie feared that Mike and Trish are turning Scotty against David. Neil dated Mary. Lee tried to match Renee with Evan. Renee hid David in the Body Connection basement.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 14 - SEPTEMBER 18, 1981
Hope saw Jake in a clinch with Jessica (Angel), then discovered Jessica was booted out of the convent. Mike discovered David's hideaway, but promised David and Renee he would keep mum. Renee developed the hots for David. Stuart forced Mark not to print his story on Maggie. Evan suspected Maggie wants to keep her baby. Alex planned a risky operation for his paralysis. Marie finally set a wedding date with Alex, but was leery of Alex and Mary's new friendship. Stuart was further enchanted by Lee. Jessica's "Angel" persona vowed to terminate Jessica.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 24, 1981

CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE
"Jessica's "Angel" persona vowed to terminate Jessica."

Makes me wish more than ever that Days had gone this route with Nick. Blake Berris would do a great job with a story like this.

karenap63

Just loving this SOD synopsis. Almost to December, 81 (Roman/Wayne). I believe Abe/James & Tony/Theo were on a few weeks before Wayne. I was trying to think back. When Samantha was murdered by the Salem Strangler, why did Marlena end up at the cabin instead of going to Mexico? I know she sent her apartment key to Samantha to come stay at her place while she was gone and for Sam to meet Roman. Was she waiting for Roman to come to the cabin? I can't remember why she changed her plans. :thanks:

Edited by karenap63, Mar 24 2014, 08:39 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And that "Currently Unavailable" Nov.24, 1981, synopsis will be posted as soon as the issue (which I ordered over 2 weeks ago because I knew it was coming up) finally arrives in the mail. Moreover, all of the 1982 SODs (save for a single issue I finally got around to ordering today) is in my physical possession. lol

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 24 2014, 10:13 PM
And that "Currently Unavailable" Nov.24, 1981, synopsis will be posted as soon as the issue (which I ordered over 2 weeks ago because I knew it was coming up) finally arrives in the mail. Moreover, all of the 1982 SODs (save for a single issue I finally got around to ordering today) is in my physical possession. lol
You are free to spend money on whatever you wish, Matt, but as I've said to you in the past, I have every issue of Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly, so if you need any synopses from issues that are missing in your collection, I can scan those in! But, perhaps your goal one day is to own all of the issues as well, so if that's the case, then have fun collecting the rest of what you need!! But I'm always here to help with any issues you might need.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 21 - SEPTEMBER 25, 1981
Marie realized that Jessica has an alter ego and tried to prevent "Angel" from eloping with Jake to Las Vegas. Don soothed a terrified Marlena, whose "caller" is on a murder rampage. Tod's depression worsened. Don and Liz argued over his devotion to Marlena. Joshua told Marlena he has feelings for her. Renee tried to charm David out of his gym shorts, but he couldn't shake the thought of Trish. Stuart caught Evan making a pitch for Maggie. Trish suspected Mike was keeping David's whereabouts a secret.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 28 - OCTOBER 2, 1981
Marie stopped Jake and Angel's wedding ceremony, and hospitalized Jessica. Alex accused Tod of shooting him. After a session with Tod, Marlena told Don not to monitor her caller. A mob figure asked Renee out in order to get to David. Lee hired Philip Briggs to investigate Stuart. Lee played hard-to-get with Stuart. Joshua told Marlena he isn't over Jessica. Don and Liz had more tiffs over Marlena. Trish held off in marrying Mike, who caught on to Renee's attraction to David. Mickey noticed Evan is uncomfortable around him.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 8, 1981

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 5 - OCTOBER 9, 1981
David moved to a rooming house after discovering Renee's tape recorder. Renee decided not to release her story on David. Lee played on Stuart's sympathies after a thug broke into her penthouse. Lee was besieged by creditors. Mary tried to seduce Neil. Mary taunted Liz about Don and Marlena's renewed chumminess. Mike helped David don a facial disguise.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 12 - OCTOBER 16, 1981
Tod, who flipped out, was arrested after Don prevented him from strangling Marlena. Don realized Tod was Marlena's caller. Philip informed Lee that Stuart was lovey with a woman who disappeared in Paris and that the woman knew one of Liz's ex-hubbies. Renee returned from a mystery jaunt in Los Angeles. Mickey and Maggie learned that Maggie's child would be adopted by a doctor. The mob edged closer to David using Renee. Trish sensed that Mike and Renee knew David's whereabouts. Don was fed up with Liz's jealousy of Marlena. Joshua comforted Marlena.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 22, 1981

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

"Also checking on Liz for Lee, the man reveals that Liz divorced Rick Courtney. She was also married to a count. Lee knows about that marriage. She remarks that the man was penniless and married Liz for her money. The investigator is confused, because he's tracked down the elusive count and he's a very rich man! 'That's very interesting,' Lee says with a smile."

A count, huh? I wonder who THAT could be. Also is seems that although Pat Falken Smith introed the DiMeras, it was Gary Tomlin who first mentioned them. Of course, it should also be noted that we're about to switch from Tomlin/Poteet-Lisanti to Falken Smith as HW in the middle of the very next week, so this could be a transitionary period. Also, it seems as if Tod was originally the actual strangler in Tomlin's story, but Falken Smith obviously decided to change it and extend the story out.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Matt
Mar 26 2014, 10:58 AM
A count, huh? I wonder who THAT could be. Also is seems that although Pat Falken Smith introed the DiMeras, it was Gary Tomlin who first mentioned them. Of course, it should also be noted that we're about to switch from Tomlin/Poteet-Lisanti to Falken Smith as HW in the middle of the very next week, so this could be a transitionary period. Also, it seems as if Tod was originally the actual strangler in Tomlin's story, but Falken Smith obviously decided to change it and extend the story out.
I don't think Gary introduced Tony. I just did some more digging and in the searchable Variety archives it states in the September 25, 1981 issue: Pat Falken Smith Heads New 'Lives' Writing Team...Pat Falken Smith has been signed as head writer for the NBC-TV soap "Days of Our Lives."

I think we have that situation we had recently where MarDar was still in the credits at the end of the Daysaster, but storyline tweaks were being started by the new writing team (Carrie/Austin/Jack/Madison's departures).

# 4041 was taped on Monday, September 28, 1981, so perhaps there were those same types of tweaks happening for that final week of Tomlin/Listanti episodes (4041-4045) before Pat and her team started being listed on the scripts as of 4046. In fact, I have the taping schedule for # 4043 (taped 9/30/81) and on it, it states that "An extra scene from 4047 will be taped directly following the Penthouse scenes", which turns out to be "Limbo Phone for Lee in Paris." So, I think it was Pat who introduced the first signs of Tony. Just my best guess though!

And, for the record, the dialogue writers for these couple of episodes in question are listed as:

4043...Charles Edwards
4044...Robin Amos
4045...Michael Robert David
4046...Margaret Stewart
4047...Maralyn Thoma
Edited by Jason47, Mar 26 2014, 12:42 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

The SOD Synopsis for November 24, 1981, has finally been scanned and edited into the appropriate post.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply