Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (28,966 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF OCTOBER 19 - OCTOBER 23, 1981
The cops nab Bart, the mobster pursuing Renee, after David and Renee trapped him. Marlena's caller struck again while Tod was locked in the slammer. Tod was suspected of killing two girls, but booze dulled his memory. Joshua and Jake competed for Jessica, who progressed in therapy. Mike helped Alex search for clues about his assailant. Neil and Mary resumed their old fling. Lee investigated Stuart in Paris. Doug and Julie went to Miami.

NOTE: Pat Falken Smith begins as head writer on October 21, 1981.

WEEK OF OCTOBER 26 - OCTOBER 30, 1981
David disappeared after escaping a gunman. Mike and Renee admitted they shelted David. Stuart tailed Lee to Paris after he discovered Lee is investigating him. Don also is in Paris on secret business for Liz. Marlena felt that Alex's disapproval of Jake is impairing Jessica's progress. Jake declared his love for Jessica. Jessica convalesced at Tom and Alice's and continued to revert to her "Angel" persona. Julie advised Jessica to consult Trish about a split personality syndrome. Neil told a fuming Marlena that Mickey has no right to Maggie's child.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 5, 1982

Spoiler: click to toggle
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 2 - NOVEMBER 6, 1981
Valerie Grant returned and kept company with Sgt. Abe Carver. Evan dated nurse Lorie Masters, who eyed Joshua. David was shot by a thug, then held hostage by a blackmailing fugitive. Mary suspected Neil was taking kickbacks through the surrogate mother program. Neil shook in his boots when Mickey and Maggie considered keeping Maggie's child. Marlena distrusted Neil, who withheld details of Valerie's patient's death. Abe believed David was the strangler of prostitutes. Abe noticed Jake's stranglehold on a man who hounded Jessica. Mike nixed marrying Trish until David was cleared. Julie and Doug investigated Alex's shooting. Valerie became an intern at the medical center.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 9 - NOVEMBER 13, 1981
Count Tony DiMera arrived claiming Liz was still his missus. Liz left Don to protect his reputation. Tony employed Stuart as his secret liaison in his quest for Anderson Manufacturing. After Alex informed Stuart he remembered Stuart's butler shot him, Stuart arranged to botch Alex's surgery. Unbeknownst to Stuart, Neil switched Alex to another operating room. Stuart reminded Neil that he was Stuart's property because Stuart had paid Neil's gambling debt in San Diego. Tom and Evan discovered Neil was boozing. Tony wanted Trish's bod. Neil discovered Stuart was taking kickbacks from supply houses. Nick, David's captor, demanded ransom from Doug. Don returned from Paris after investigating Tony.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 19, 1982

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Some observations: clearly Pat Falken Smith rewrote Liz's backstory. When she was 1st introduced, I'm certain it was stated that she had 3 ex-husbands & was fresh off her divorce from Rick Courtney. Now, Liz only has 2 exes and was married to Tony between her divorce from Rick and her arrival in Salem. The sleazy young man named Nick would eventually develop into Nick Corelli (it's even the same actor) as in Nick/Eve. Tony's right-hand-man is named Andre?! That's.... interesting. Also interesting is that Tony supposedly has a younger brother. I know that once Stefano is introduced, it's stated that he has several sons that are eventually forgotten & never talked about again. And I'm not sure I ever knew that Tony had the hots for Trish.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 16 - NOVEMBER 20, 1981
Abe apprehended Nick while David escaped to Valerie's apartment. Danny, Val's brother, was reunited with David. Liz, who withheld the reason she can't divorce Tony, filed for a divorce from Don. Joshua comforted Marlena when her caller contacted her at home. Marlena talked Jake and Jessica out of a hasty marriage. "Angel" wanted her old job back at the Twilight bar. Suspecting Valerie is harboring David, Abe placed Val's pad under police watch. Valerie fretted about Danny's floundering ways. Danny disliked Abe. Don installed a tracer on Marlena's radio station phone. The cops briefly collared Julie and Doug for awaiting Nick in a deserted warehouse.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 23 - NOVEMBER 27, 1981
Alex regained the use of his legs after surgery. Anxious to purchase the Anderson company for Tony, Stuart urged Alex to remarry Mary if he wanted Marie and Jessica to live. A man watched Evan and Lorie as they got cozy on her couch. David vanished. Marlena received a strangled doll from her tormentor. Don suspected Lee was somehow under Tony's thumb. A patient died in the operating room originally meant for Alex's use. Joshua advised Jessica to examine her feelings for Jake. Trish and Liz became roomies. Evan suggested that Tom resume chief of staff duties.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 2, 1982

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 30 - DECEMBER 4, 1981
Joshua found Lorie's strangled body. Doug and Julie located a man who had seen a British gentleman enter Alex's room before the shooting. Abe closed in on David at Valerie's pad. Neil won a hospital reprieve but warned Evan against making further trouble. Neil made a pass at Marlena, who recommended he get counseling. Tony pursued Trish through her new friendship with Lee, who was one of Tony's emissaries. Abe questioned Joshua about the strangulations. Abe discovered that Renee had sheltered David. Evan cried to Maggie after Lorie died. Trish, Doug and Julie went undercover to locate David.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 7 - DECEMBER 11, 1981
Robert returned and hid with David in the Twilight basement. Under pressure from Stuart, Alex named David as his assailant and backed out of marrying Marie. Roman Brady, Abe's partner, appointed himself Marlena's protector. Jessica and Jake became engaged despite her schizophrenia. Maggie learned she was carrying twins. Renee told Lee she was hot to trot with David. Abe cooled his relationship with Valerie. Neil and Valerie became professional opponents. Julie and Doug suspected that Alex was being forced to incriminate David and that Liz was under pressure to divorce Don. Robert wanted to elude Julie and Doug. Trish and Danny began working at the Twilight.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 16, 1982

jam6242
Member Avatar

"Neil made a pass at Marlena, who recommended he get counseling."

Now see, today the same thing should happen with Daniel.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karenap63

Thanks so much. The start of Roman Agustus Brady. :thanks:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 14 - DECEMBER 18, 1981
Maggie gave birth to twins and asked to meet the adoptive parents. The strangler assaulted Renee, but she lived to tell the tale. Evan learned that Stuart had skipped town. Mike and Trish called it quits. Trish and Scotty confronted David, who masqueraded as a clown at Renee's birthday party. The strangler called Tom to threaten Jessica. Roman sacked on Marlena's floor to protect her from the strangler. Marlena advised Jessica to take on Angel's more honorable traits. Tony had the hots for Trish, Lee, and Renee. Tony purchased the Twilight.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 21 - DECEMBER 25, 1981
David turned himself in to the cops. After Maggie had her child, Mickey discovered Evan was the daddy. In a conversation with Tony, Lee referred to Renee as "my little girl." Lee told Tony she wanted out of his father's employ. The strangler had stalked Renee, who was comatose in the hospital. Jessica admitted she was abused by her adoptive parents. Don fought Tony for Liz. Neil encouraged Evan to get his child away from Mickey and Maggie. David pressed Mickey to give Alex a lie detector test.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 2, 1982

jam6242
Member Avatar

"Maggie gave birth to twins and asked to meet the adoptive parents."

I think the synopsis writers jumped the gun on this one. Maggie thought she was having twins but didn't.

"Neil encouraged Evan to get his child away from Mickey and Maggie."

Ironic considering Sarah's paternity was changed around 10 years later to make Neil her biological father.

"Jessica admitted she was abused by her adoptive parents."

I'd forgotten about that. Guess that's how they explained her multiple personalities.

The references to Renee being in a coma and Lee keeping vigil make me sad now considering what had happened to Brenda Benet's son earlier in the year and what was to come a few months later. :'(

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Now I'm wondering why it didn't turn out that Maggie really DID have twins, but didn't realize it and had one stolen away only to pop up today (which COULD have been Daniel & would've been much more believable that eggbaby). Of course, that would've made Daniel & Sarah twins and Sarah should be old enough to be Daniel's twin...

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 2 2014, 06:04 PM
Now I'm wondering why it didn't turn out that Maggie really DID have twins, but didn't realize it and had one stolen away only to pop up today (which COULD have been Daniel & would've been much more believable that eggbaby). Of course, that would've made Daniel & Sarah twins and Sarah should be old enough to be Daniel's twin...
That would explain so much about Daniel because Neil would be his father!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Apr 2 2014, 06:49 PM
Matt
Apr 2 2014, 06:04 PM
That would explain so much about Daniel because Neil would be his father!
And then you'd have Noelle as his younger sister, too.... It would make perfectly logical fanwank sense to say that Victor was behind stealing the baby to give to a childless Mr. & Mrs. Jonas as some sort of underworld bargaining chip/payoff of some sort. It would also explain the great lengths Victor went to covering the whole thing up. Of course, I've also fanwanked that Daniel isn't really Maggie's son, but Victor set up the evidence to make her THINK that he is because her real son (not from a stolen egg, but Sarah's actual twin) became such a horribly evil person (added to the fact that Victor actually stole her baby) that it would cause Maggie so much grief.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 28, 1981 - JANUARY 1, 1982
(Note at the beginning of this week's recaps: In place of our usual plot summaries, we offer for the new year a series of story predictions and speculative resolutions that soap characters would be well-advised to head. Our regular summaries of daytime soaps return next week.)
Watch for the Salem Strangler to be the least likely suspect, such as Joshua or Stuart. Marie probably will dump Alex for his false testimony against David, but Jessica - once cured - may play Cupid for Alex and Marie. Evan probably is stupid enough to kidnap his child from Mickey and Maggie. Mike should forget Trish and get a new mate now that Trish has proved her allegiance is to David. Robert will be reunited with Doug and Julie, who will have to cope with Doug's son, Dougie.
WEEK OF JANUARY 4 - JANUARY 8, 1982
Liz moved back with Tony under pressure from his father, Stefano, who threatened Don's life. Roman let David out of prison to investigate Alex's shooting. David snatched Scotty. Valerie investigated Bart, a man who might know why the mob is after David. In Rome, Tony confronted Stuart about the Salem murders. Stuart ordered Neil to discredit Valerie, who is snooping about the deaths. Tony sought to replace Stuart with Alex in Stefano's organization. Don cleared David of suspicion in the strangulations. Roman suspected the strangler is a hospital staffer. Tony warned Alex to come clean about who shot him. Valerie and Danny located David and Scotty in a deserted warehouse. David told Valerie they can only be buddies. Roman was jealous of Marlena and Don's renewed friendship.
WEEK OF JANUARY 11 - JANUARY 15, 1982
Roman was suspended for six months under suspicion of helping David escape. Bart told David a European man was after David and had shot Alex. Stuart instructed Alex to buy Anderson Manufacturing before Tony could and also put out a contract on David. Renee regained consciousness and insisted David wasn't her attacker. Maggie's baby had respiratory problems. Mickey began a custody suit over the baby, and lady lawyer Gwen agreed to take Evan's case. David returned Scotty to Trish and Alice. Mary accepted Alex's kiss and noticed that Gretchen came on strong to Josh during self-defense classes. Jessica postponed her engagement party.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 16, 1982

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
Apr 2 2014, 02:09 PM
The references to Renee being in a coma and Lee keeping vigil make me sad now considering what had happened to Brenda Benet's son earlier in the year and what was to come a few months later. :'(
Me too. I remember reading a snippet from an article in one of the Hollywood trades in which one of the cast members (I think it was Mac Carey) said that Brenda was having a real struggle with the scenes of Renee near death and that her depression was becoming evident. It also mentioned that she was having difficulty with the upcoming story in which she was to reveal herself as Renee's biological mother.

I still get choked up when I think about Brenda after all these years.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Apr 3 2014, 02:23 PM
jam6242
Apr 2 2014, 02:09 PM
Me too. I remember reading a snippet from an article in one of the Hollywood trades in which one of the cast members (I think it was Mac Carey) said that Brenda was having a real struggle with the scenes of Renee near death and that her depression was becoming evident. It also mentioned that she was having difficulty with the upcoming story in which she was to reveal herself as Renee's biological mother.

I still get choked up when I think about Brenda after all these years.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Wow, thanks so much for sharing that, Jason. Joe hadn't been on the show very long when this happened.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JANUARY 18 - JANUARY 22, 1982
Upset at Stuart's drug dealing and hospital fund skimming, the DiMeras turned Stuart over to the Salem police. They threatened Evan's life if Stuart disobeyed them. David was cleared of shooting Alex when Stuart admitted to hiring a hitman. Abe received multiple gunshot wounds while saving David from Stuart's hitmen. Stefano told Tony he had future plans for Julie. Maggie's baby improved after surgery. Robert told Doug he fled from trouble in Paris and that Dougie was in a boarding school. Roman's sister Kayla dated Mike and suspected Renee knew her attacker. Marlena was taken to a deserted cottage by former mental patient, Eugene Bradford, who had strangled his wife. Eugene's apartment walls were papered with stories on the Salem Strangler.
WEEK OF JANUARY 25 - JANUARY 29, 1982
Renee recuperated at the DiMera home. Roman was reinstated and he and Don rescued Marlena from Eugene. Abe improved after a visit from his little brother, Jonah. Lee avoided Stefano's ardent attention, although he wants to resume where they left off years ago. Jessica and Jake made wedding plans. Tony told Lee he's not romantically interested in Renee. David vowed to get Renee's attacker, but said he wants to try to work things out with Trish. Gwen began Evan's baby custody case.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 30, 1982

esp13
Member Avatar

Yay! Kayla has arrived. I didn't realize she started dating Mike so quickly though. It's interesting that they actually touched on this history a bit when Kayla returned to the show, although it was more directly commented on in 1989.

I always find it interesting that Stefano had all these plans for the Salem women and that his obsession with Marlena is a bit of a retcon of sorts. I wonder what the real plan was when he was first introduced since they obviously changed it somewhere along the line.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

esp13
Apr 4 2014, 11:42 AM
Yay! Kayla has arrived. I didn't realize she started dating Mike so quickly though. It's interesting that they actually touched on this history a bit when Kayla returned to the show, although it was more directly commented on in 1989.

I always find it interesting that Stefano had all these plans for the Salem women and that his obsession with Marlena is a bit of a retcon of sorts. I wonder what the real plan was when he was first introduced since they obviously changed it somewhere along the line.
All of this DiMera set up (including tales of Tony's younger brothers needing childbearing wives) was written by Pat Falken Smith who left in April 1982 and consequently had all of these plans (whatever they might have been) dropped. I do think it's pretty obvious, however, that the DiMeras were intended to be DAYS' answer to GH's Cassadines.

esp13
Member Avatar

Matt
Apr 4 2014, 11:50 AM
esp13
Apr 4 2014, 11:42 AM

All of this DiMera set up (including tales of Tony's younger brothers needing childbearing wives) was written by Pat Falken Smith who left in April 1982 and consequently had all of these plans (whatever they might have been) dropped. I do think it's pretty obvious, however, that the DiMeras were intended to be DAYS' answer to GH's Cassadines.
Interesting about the DiMera/Cassidine comparisons. Didn't Pat Falken Smith write for GH at one point?

I'm not sure whatever Pat Falken Smith had in mind would have actually been better, since what is coming up in the next few years is pretty damn good but it is interesting to see where the DiMera family started.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply