Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (23,551 Views)
karenap63

Renee Dimera
May 20 2014, 04:08 PM
I'm convinced the writers had decided to write the Dimera family out entirely. Stefano was dead, Tony was revealed not to be a Dimera, and they've clearly already planned Renee's demise, probably only because of their intention to expunge the entire family (note the "Fearless Prediction" at the end of the article). I remember reading that Larry Welch was going to be the Slasher, but as the story progressed the writing team concocted the Andre/Stefano connection.

Seeing how the character is progressing, I think that Renee may be the first example I can remember of true character destruction. She was portrayed as generally sweet and appealing (with a lot of spunk and willingness to manipulate people a bit when it suited her needs). But she was sad, misunderstood and wanted to be loved and to belong. The writers (and I'm guessing particularly Maggie DePriest, aka Maggot DeBeast, also responsible for Frankie's murder on AW) made Renee so vengeful and evil toward the end (manipulating David, trying to kill Anna and her unborn baby).

At least they let her shine at the very end and show her vulnerability. After all these years, I still wish Philece Sampler were on this show. I can only imagine a 50-something Renee going toe-to-toe with Kate to protect "Daddy" from her clutches. :)
I loved Renee's character and loved Phelice as an actress. What Days has done to so many of the characters we all loved back in the day over the years just sickens me.
Yes, I would love to see Renee today taking on Kate. I know I'm probably going to take a hit for this one, but I never cared for Marlena when she came back in 91. She wasn't the Marlena I loved back in the 70's and 80's. I was a Wayne Northrop fan. What was done to him when he came back in 91 just disgusted me. No wonder he never wanted to stay on Days. I wish he and Marlena would have divorced in 91. Maybe he could have found a good woman. Come to think of it, I think he and Phelice would have worked out great together. JMO
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Matt loving reading the recaps especially about the reintroduction of Bo and Hope as they are my favorite super couple I've seen the clips but I enjoy the recaps because I get to fill in things that my 13 year old mind at the time forgot or didn't understand, again thank you for doing this and I agree with the poster Renee Dimera that having seen so many of the youtube clips it was clear that Philece among other Days stars got character assassination during this time, so unfortunate because i love what little i've seen of her as Renee she was terrific.
Edited by Fafokahw, May 20 2014, 06:49 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF MAY 16 - MAY 20, 1983
Tony became curious about Anna's past when she admitted having been arrested as a child. Melissa told Maggie that she resented her dumping Mickey. Liz was relieved that Marie did not know who shot her. Marie, whose speech was impaired, told Neil that he was free to be with Liz. Neil decided to stick with Marie. Daphne searched for Stefano's second will, which was hidden in Scotty's backpack. Mickey argued with Don, who shared a romantic kiss with Maggie. Alex sided with Renee against the Hortons. Nikki moved in with Kayla and Trista.
WEEK OF MAY 23 - MAY 27, 1983
Teen drug addict, Pamela, snatched Noel from her carriage. Chris was suspicious of Liz and Neil who secretly agreed to Pamela's ransom demands. Daphne found Stefano's second will. Melissa and Hope joined a therapy group at Marlena's clinic, The Right Connection. Marlena is upset because Roman's job takes all his time. Gwen was hurt that she can't take Don's mind off Maggie. Oliver was jealous when Hope was smitten by Woody. Anna feared Woody would ruin her plans for Tony. An improving Marie refused to fight to keep Neil. Roman realized the person who shot Marie had a key to Neil's house. The man tailing Trista tied her up and beat up Eugene after ransacking her pad. Tony resisted Renee's sexual advances while Anna was out of town.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JULY 5, 1983

Spoiler: click to toggle

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF MAY 30 - JUNE 3, 1983
Oliver helped Chris rescue Noel from Pamela who was arrested. Noel was returned to Liz who sensed Neil is slipping away from her for good. Gwen took a legal job with Anderson Mfg. Alex agreed to Anna's plan that he romance Renee, since he knows Stefano's second will leaves everything to Renee. Chris dodged Roman's questions about Liz's possible involvement with Marie's shooting. Trista learned that her father didn't kill her mother, who was being blackmailed. Bo accepted a job as tennis instructor at Doug's inn. Don was shocked when Mickey tried to bribe him to leave town. Hope came on to Roman after Bo rescued her from a masher. Marie insisted that she wants a legal separation from Neil.
WEEK OF JUNE 6 - JUNE 10, 1983
Gwen agreed to speed up David's divorce after Alex told her the terms of Stefano's second will. Marlena rebuffed Roman and Shawn's demand that she close the Right Connection. Tony was suspicious of Anna who was nervous about a call from her brother, Brett. Chris realized he's falling for Liz. Liz panicked that Marie remembered a woman had talked to her after she was shot. Bo caught a strange man trying to steal some of Trista's papers. Marie asked Don to handle her separation from Neil. Roman searched for proof Liz might have shot Marie. Renee took a hospital public relations job.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JULY 19, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JUNE 13 - JUNE 17, 1983
Neil took Marie home after making her realize that the cause of her paralysis had been emotional. Anna paid Woody blackmail money to keep mum that her marriage to TOny wasn't legit. For big bucks, Gwen agreed to Mickey's plan to let Maggie think that Don was seeing Gwen on the sly. Melissa helped Hope, who ran away after another tiff with Julie. A strange man tailed Hope. Liz was relieved that Maggie remembered talking with Marie right after she was shot. Trista was lured to a warehouse full of memorabilia from her childhood. Eugene was upset to read a hate letter from an old flame of Trista's. Hope befriended a troubled teen, Jane. Bo vowed to solve the murder of Trista's mother and also searched for Hope.
WEEK OF JUNE 20 - JUNE 24 1983
Trista ran from the warehouse without seeing Alex in the shadows. A lying guard told Gene and Bo that Trista never visited the warehouse. Alex paid the guard to skip town, but Gene found evidence that someone had rigged the joint. Hope was befriended by Mr. Randolph; he set her up with a john who beat her up for not getting cuddly. Melissa kept mum that she gave Hope money and knows her whereabouts. Liz denied Neil's accusation that she was present at Marie's shooting. Marie found an initialed scarf and remembered hearing a woman's scream. Anna used David to foil Renee's plan to meet Tony. Maggie suspected Don's hot for Gwen just as Gwen and Mickey planned. Trista realized her mother's killer is searching for the murder weapon.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: AUGUST 2, 1983

nananana7
Member Avatar

Matt
May 23 2014, 10:00 AM
SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: AUGUST 2, 1983

My goodness! Teenaged Hope arguing with Julie -- and then running away from home -- and then something awful nearly happened.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JUNE 27 - JULY 1, 1983
Bo and Roman rescued Hope and arrested Mr. Rudolph and his would-be rapist friend. Hope later moved in with Roman and Marlena, who mediated rap sessions between Hope and Julie. Chris urged Liz to forget her plans to leave town. Neil fought his feelings for Liz and planned a solitary vacation. Don smoothed things over after Maggie heard Melissa say she saw Don smooching with Gwen. Daphne suspected there are other copies of Stefano's second will. Woody told Gwen he's blackmailing Anna. Alex told Gwen about his plot to marry Renee, and Gwen tried to speed up David's divorce. Roman and Abe looked for proof the mystery scarf belongs to Liz. Anna panicked when Tony seemed remote during phone calls.
WEEK OF JULY 4 - JULY 8, 1983
Liz and Neil rekindled their old flame when they found themselves at the same resort. Liz tried explaining to Neil how she shot Marie, but Roman arrived to arrest her. Marie's shocked that her husband rendezvoused with her assailant. Roman asked Bo to guard Marlena against tough hoods like Peter Jannings at the Right Connection. Eugene disapproved of Alex's attentions toward Trista, who's arranging student nurses' mixers. Gwen left a doubt in Maggie's mind about the supposed kissing incident with Don. Don panicked he won't be able to defend Liz since Daphne spilled the beans.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: AUGUST 16, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, hello there Pete Jannings...

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Matt
May 26 2014, 10:14 AM
Well, hello there Pete Jannings...
Pete and the Vipers the beginning of a fierce rivalry between them and Bo. Good ole days, thanks Matt loving it :D

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JULY 11 - JULY 15, 1983
Renee's plan to kill Anna backfired when Tony was injured in the rigged boating accident. Roman was unaware that Hope has a crush on him. To help his career, D.A. Larry Welch charged Liz with attempted murder. Hope testified she heard Liz say she hated Marie. Maggie told Don and Mickey she's through with both of them because of their fighting. Neil confessed to a devastated Marie that he loves Liz and will stick by her. Roman fumed that Marlena took Pete on as a patient. A court date was set for David's divorce case. Tony told Anna he knows she tricked him into marriage. Alex took Marie to his pad and demanded Neil resign from the hospital. Mickey agreed to handle Marie's divorce from Neil.
WEEK OF JULY 18 - JULY 22, 1983
Mickey told Gwen to seduce Don in order to drive Maggie and Don further apart. Sandy Horton returned and took an interest in Tony. Anna miscarried after saving Tony's life. Renee set up David as her alibi for the boat accident. Tony asked Mickey to handle his divorce from Anna. Alex steamed that Anna had let Tony live because Tony knew about her schemes. Liz was found guilty of attempting to murder Marie. Marlena learned that something in Bo and Roman's past had caused the rift between them. Bo went to Florida to check a lead on Trista's mother's murderer. Renee realized Anna had lied in saying that she once had been forced into prostitution.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: AUGUST 30, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, hello there, Larry Welch & Howie Hoffstedder.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Matt
May 27 2014, 09:55 AM
Larry i loved to hate and Howie who i loved to chuckle with :)

karenap63

Fafokahw
May 27 2014, 10:00 AM
Matt
May 27 2014, 09:55 AM
Larry i loved to hate and Howie who i loved to chuckle with :)
Totally agree. Best bride ever "Howie". lol Oh the good ole' days.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Such character assassination on Renee, turning her into a murderer. Thanks, Margaret DePriest, for destroying a wonderful character and then killing her off. :shame:

jam6242
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 03:58 PM
Such character assassination on Renee, turning her into a murderer. Thanks, Margaret DePriest, for destroying a wonderful character and then killing her off. :shame:
DePriest was very good at that. She's the one who refused to write for Doug and Julie again after Bill and Susan met with her to tell her they didn't like how out of character Doug and Julie were being written. Bill wasn't happy with how Doug was reacting to Hope. DePriest told him he didn't know anything about raising children despite the fact that he had raised five of his own (and for several years as a single parent).

karenap63

jam6242
May 27 2014, 04:23 PM
Renee Dimera
DePriest was very good at that. She's the one who refused to write for Doug and Julie again after Bill and Susan met with her to tell her they didn't like how out of character Doug and Julie were being written. Bill wasn't happy with how Doug was reacting to Hope. DePriest told him he didn't know anything about raising children despite the fact that he had raised five of his own (and for several years as a single parent).
I totally agree with both of you. I was also so disgusted with what they did to the Roman Brady character. When Wayne portrayed Roman Brady he was a MAN, a vital character to Days. Then they bring in Josh, as a "real wimp", pining for Marlena. It totally disrespected Wayne's portrayal of Roman. If Wayne would have played Roman, like he needs to be portrayed, he would have told Marlena to "go to hell" years ago.
I have nothing against JT, but he will never be Roman Brady for me.
It's such a shame what writers will do with vital characters.

Renee, Doug and Roman, the way they were written, was so heartbreaking for me. No wonder Wayne never wanted to stay on Days. JMO
Edited by karenap63, May 27 2014, 05:41 PM.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
Renee Dimera
Yup, and I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but Maggie DePriest (sorry, but I love calling her Maggot DeBeast ... she's earned it) also crafted Frankie's grisly, shocking onscreen demise on AW, even after we mounted a massive write-in campaign and executive producer Jill Farren Phelps asked her to write Frankie's exit so she could return down the road.

I always have this horrible fear of DePriest being brought back to Days. I believe if she came back, either Nicole or Kate would be killed off. She does NOT like strong, complicated female characters.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
Renee Dimera
jam ... Do you have any idea if DePriest was also responsible for Gregg Marx's exit as David? It seems like his character was off-screen almost entirely after Renee's murder, then once he was vindicated as the murderer (after Julie's false confession), he just disappeared. I know that Marx and Philece Sampler were close friends, so I always wondered if he had just become disgusted with the direction of his storyline and left. Any idea?

jam6242
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 08:10 PM
jam6242
Renee Dimera
jam ... Do you have any idea if DePriest was also responsible for Gregg Marx's exit as David? It seems like his character was off-screen almost entirely after Renee's murder, then once he was vindicated as the murderer (after Julie's false confession), he just disappeared. I know that Marx and Philece Sampler were close friends, so I always wondered if he had just become disgusted with the direction of his storyline and left. Any idea?
I haven't seen anything about that. I only know about Bill and Susan's situation because they talked about it in their book. But I wouldn't be at all surprised. Wonder what he did to tick her off, lol? Guess it was better for Gregg in the long run because he went on to win an Emmy on ATWT.
Edited by jam6242, May 27 2014, 08:19 PM.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 27 2014, 08:18 PM
Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 08:10 PM
jam6242
Renee Dimera
I haven't seen anything about that. I only know about Bill and Susan's situation because they talked about it in their book. But I wouldn't be at all surprised. Wonder what he did to tick her off, lol? Guess it was better for Gregg in the long run because he went on to win an Emmy on ATWT.
At the time, the paradigm was for East Coast soap actors to head to Hollywood to do shows on the West Coast. Gregg made the opposite move. I always thought it was so bizarre how a central, legacy character like David, played by a very talented actor, just seemingly vanished. Of course, as you mentioned, DePriest was pretty much dismantling Doug and Julie at this point (they were gone within six months), so I guess it's not surprising that David would be taken off the canvas as well.

So many bad decisions were made at this time, but it took a new set of writers to usher in the age of the super couples and the so-called golden era of the mid- to late-80s. Still, there was definitely still a place for characters like Doug and Julie, David and Renee.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply