Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (29,048 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 08:04 PM
I always have this horrible fear of DePriest being brought back to Days. I believe if she came back, either Nicole or Kate would be killed off. She does NOT like strong, complicated female characters.
She's 82 and hasn't written anything in the past 15 years, so it doesn't look too likely that she'd be brought back.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 08:04 PM
jam6242
May 27 2014, 04:23 PM
Renee Dimera
May 27 2014, 03:58 PM
Such character assassination on Renee, turning her into a murderer. Thanks, Margaret DePriest, for destroying a wonderful character and then killing her off. :shame:
DePriest was very good at that. She's the one who refused to write for Doug and Julie again after Bill and Susan met with her to tell her they didn't like how out of character Doug and Julie were being written. Bill wasn't happy with how Doug was reacting to Hope. DePriest told him he didn't know anything about raising children despite the fact that he had raised five of his own (and for several years as a single parent).
Yup, and I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but Maggie DePriest (sorry, but I love calling her Maggot DeBeast ... she's earned it) also crafted Frankie's grisly, shocking onscreen demise on AW, even after we mounted a massive write-in campaign and executive producer Jill Farren Phelps asked her to write Frankie's exit so she could return down the road.

I always have this horrible fear of DePriest being brought back to Days. I believe if she came back, either Nicole or Kate would be killed off. She does NOT like strong, complicated female characters.
I remember when Frankie was murdered i cried so hard that nearly drove me to stop watching AW i was so angry because unlike many i didn't read many soap mags and was totally blind sided by it :'(

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF JULY 25 - JULY 29, 1983
Don planned an appeal for Liz who was sent off to serve five years in jail. Anna insisted she loves Tony who rejected Anna's story that Renee is a killer. Under hypnosis, Trista remembered picking up the gun used to kill her mother, Barbara. Listening to a tape of Trista's session, Alex learned the gun he fears was missing from his collection is still missing. Eugene questioned Alex's former mistress Nora about Barbara's death. Barbara's old pal, Gloria Matthews, admitted Alex once had an affair with Barbara. Melissa was shocked Hope admitted she's smitten with Roman. A jealous Bo confessed he cares for Hope. Kayla befriended Renee who fumed that her divorce went through. Sandy was concerned for Tony who mourned the loss of his unborn son.
WEEK OF AUGUST 1 - AUGUST 5, 1983
Eugene tricked Nora who admitted she killed Barbara in a jealous fit over Alex. Roman arrested Nora who failed in a last-ditch attempt to kill Alex. Jane agreed to help Hope who schemed to be alone with Roman. Julie ordered Hope to move home after realizing Hope is infatuated with Roman. Trista was baffled that Eugene disappeared after he received a mysterious letter. Kayla spent time with David and Chris. Trista admitted to Eugene she was once married to a man named Mack. Liz made Neil Noel's legal guardian. Alex nixed Gwen's hope that their affair could turn to love. Mickey urged Gwen to discredit Don who pressured Maggie for a commitment. Roman and Marlena planned a vacation. Anna vowed to fight Tony's divorce.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: SEPTEMBER 13, 1983

Spoiler: click to toggle

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I'm going to go out on a limb to say that this entire "Who Killed Trista's Mother" story made not a damn bit of sense. lol

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
May 28 2014, 10:46 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb to say that this entire "Who Killed Trista's Mother" story made not a damn bit of sense. lol
Truly. I'd forgotten how utterly awful it was. Once this storyline was over they really didn't seem to know what to do with Trista (other than marrying her off to Gene). I guess that's why Barbara Crampton got pink slipped shortly after.

It's actually gratifying to me to remember that were plenty of storyline duds and bad decisions made in the past, even in the "Golden Era" of the 80s. :D

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF AUGUST 8 - AUGUST 12, 1983
Jane failed to detain Marlena who freaked to find Roman in a clinch with Hope. Bo punched Roman who was shocked that Hope said she loves him. Anna lost her cool when her brother, Brett Fredericks, arrived. Daphne hired a detective to find the suspected copies of Stefano's second will. Alex rented Renee a penthouse pad and made hasty plans to marry her. David threatened to kill Renee who screamed he was a terrible lover. Mickey had a fit to learn Don and Maggie planned a weekend tryst. Eugene flew to Haiti to see his dying grandfather who claimed the Bradford family is cursed. Marlena learned Pete hates women.
WEEK OF AUGUST 15 - AUGUST 19, 1983
Eugene's grandfather died after telling Gene there's an amulet in a secret vault that will cure the Bradford curse. Trista pooh-poohed Gene's talk about the voodoo curse, but was shocked Gene's airline seat-mate suddenly died of a heart attack. Mickey pressured Gwen to speed up their plot to discredit Don. Hope fumed that Bo ridiculed her feelings for Roman. A distraught Marlena fought the feeling she's losing Roman's love. Alex promised Anna he'd give Brett a job. Anna hired Bo to prove Renee caused Anna and Tony's boat accident. Alex tightened his web around Renee who began to fall for his love talk. To convince Anna their marriage is over, Tony came on strong with Sandy. Marlena learned Jane's suicide threat had been a fake.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: SEPTEMBER 27, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Uhoh. "The Bradford Curse" We all know what's coming....

nananana7
Member Avatar

I didn't know Anna had/has a brother?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
May 29 2014, 10:32 AM
I know, damnit! Hack writers! :redface:

karenap63

Matt
Yep.....I did like Gene and his craziness, dreams of Marlena, and his visions. Especially liked the bow tie as a telephone. :blulaugh:

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

karenap63
May 29 2014, 12:04 PM
Matt
Yep.....I did like Gene and his craziness, dreams of Marlena, and his visions. Especially liked the bow tie as a telephone. :blulaugh:
And we're not too far from the introduction of his wacky soul mate, once Anna Dimera Designs is established. :)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF AUGUST 22 - AUGUST 26, 1983
Renee secretly married Alex after Tony rejected her. Abe clashed with efficiency expert Sgt. Joan Hopkins. Using faked photos of Gwen and Don in bed, Mickey thwarted Maggie and Don's plan for a weekend tryst. Alex instructed Gwen to lock the copies of Stefano's will in Alex's safe. Trista urged Gene to dispose of the "key" to his grandfather's secret vault. Doug and Julie fretted over David, who drowned his sorrows in booze. Pete made a rude pass at Hope, who patched things up with Marlena. Liz was harassed by fellow prison-mates. Roman investigated Tony and Anna's claim that Renee caused their boat accident. Gene was upset that Alex fired him from his hospital job. Another acquaintance of Gene's unexpectedly kicked the bucket and he blamed the Bradford curse.
WEEK OF AUGUST 29 - SEPTEMBER 2, 1983
Kelly let Renee find Alex's copy of Stefano's will. Realizing Alex married her for her money, Renee threw a party to publicly expose Alex's scheme. The party-goers were shocked when Delia found a murdered Renee. Julie heard David threaten to kill Renee. Long-time family employee, Tilson, brought Gene new facts of the Bradford curse. After quarreling, Renee bedded down with Tony. Liz is terrified of her cell mate who's serving a life sentence for murder. Pete taunted Marlena that Roman and Hope are still an item. Sandy wined and dined Chris. Maggie turned to Mickey after refusing to tell a baffled Don why she broke off their romance. Melissa learned Mickey and Gwen faked the photos of Don and Gwen. Trista accepted Gene's marriage proposal. Marie forgave Neil for hurting her. Nikki is jealous of Joan.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 11, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RIP Renee (Dumonde) DiMera Banning Marshall

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
May 30 2014, 10:15 AM
I wondered why I had that sharp pain under my shoulder blade today. :)

Seriously, this broke my 16-year-old heart back in the day. Renee is, to this day, my favorite character to walk through Salem. I was a lonely teenager, dealing with being gay, and there was something about her that spoke to me. Her final tirade where she talks about being on the outside looking in all of her life and feeling a compelling need for people to like her really resonated with me back then.

Given the resurgence of the Dimeras over the years, it really is a shame that Renee is not alive to take her place as the matriarch. Philece Sampler was just so damn talented!

karenap63

Renee Dimera
May 30 2014, 01:18 PM
Matt

Seriously, this broke my 16-year-old heart back in the day. Renee is, to this day, my favorite character to walk through Salem. I was a lonely teenager, dealing with being gay, and there was something about her that spoke to me. Her final tirade where she talks about being on the outside looking in all of her life and feeling a compelling need for people to like her really resonated with me back then.

Given the resurgence of the Dimeras over the years, it really is a shame that Renee is not alive to take her place as the matriarch. Philece Sampler was just so damn talented!
I also remember how great Wayne (Roman) was in those scenes. Larry Welch was running for office and he came to the mansion and said to Roman, oh good, we can nail this one. Roman said to him "a young woman has just been murdered and your worried about your political career, Welch you make me sick", with tears in his eyes.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Matt

I have to check in with Tammy Taylor. She said she'd hook me up with Philece to ask some interview questions. But haven't spoken to Tammy in awhile. Wonder if she changed emails. If I am successful in contacting Tammy, you should get some questions ready that you'd like me to ask Philece.
Edited by Jason47, May 30 2014, 09:01 PM.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Jason47
May 30 2014, 09:00 PM
Renee Dimera
Matt

I have to check in with Tammy Taylor. She said she'd hook me up with Philece to ask some interview questions. But haven't spoken to Tammy in awhile. Wonder if she changed emails. If I am successful in contacting Tammy, you should get some questions ready that you'd like me to ask Philece.
That's great, Jason. I've read interviews with Philece over the years where she talks about being blindsided by the firing. I was a member of her fan club, and she wrote us a heartfelt letter where she talked about Renee's death being solely the writers' choice. It seemed odd that she was one of the top 3 episode leaders in 1982, and then Renee's character was pretty much systematically dismantled in 1983. Of course, I love blaming Maggie DePriest, but I wonder if she was truly responsible or if someone higher up wanted her gone.

Anyway, it's nice to know what a great career Philece has had as a voiceover artist. I'd be over the moon if she were somehow brought back for a guest appearance during the 50th, along with the actors who played Stefano's other deceased children. Maybe Stefano could have a dream sequence about what life would have been like if he hadn't meddled in his children's lives. We would see Tony and Renee happily married and surrounded by their children and grandchildren. Maybe it would be a family dinner and eccentric Aunt Megan could be there with Benji and his family and of course Lexie. It could be fun and creative. :)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 5 - SEPTEMBER 9, 1983
To protect David, Julie confessed to Renee's murder. Gene suspected the curse killed Renee since she was the third person to die after literally bumping into Gene. Tony accused Alex and Anna of plotting Renee's murder. Gene had a premonition about Renee's death and mysterious green plants. Liz's cell mate, Billie, promised favors if Liz behaves herself. Brett took a shine to Hope after learning her family is rich. Doug paid detective, Stickey, to get David out of the country. Anna remembered overhearing a violent argument between Renee and Alex. Melissa pondered whether to tell Don about the fake photos as Maggie made plans to remarry Mickey. Neil assured Liz he won't fall out of love with her. Anna took a job at Anderson. Chris spent a night on Sandy's couch.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 12 - SEPTEMBER 16, 1983
Maggie called off remarrying Mickey when Melissa ratted about the fake photos. Maggie tried to patch up her romance with Don. Gwen lied that Mickey forced her to pose for the photos. Pete admitted to Marlena that a girl he once cared for had died. Roman and Abe learned Renee was poisoned and then stabbed. Gene blamed the Bradford curse when Nurse Kelly Harper was killed in the same manner as Renee. Liz got a new cell mate, Charlene. Kayla stuck by David, who secretly paid a Mr. Wilkins to give him an alibi for the time of Renee's death. Roman was puzzled when Renee and Kelly were found with a Raven's feather clutched in their hands. Bo was jealous that Hope spent time with Brett. Julie was released from jail. Neil got his divorce from Marie but worried that Liz's face was bruised.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 25, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 19 - SEPTEMBER 23, 1983
Eugene and Trista were married in a Haitian ceremony arranged by Tilson. Sandy refused to press charges against Pete, whom Roman suspected had tried to rape her. Pete saved Sandy but kep mum that a fellow gang member had attacked her. Tony offered a reward for information oN Renee's killer. Neil flipped out when he realized someone is beating up Liz. Gene was haunted when a soothsayer warned him that someone close to him will die. Marlena was upset when the police took her off Peter's therapy case. Melissa fretted she might have to return to her real mother when Maggie and Mickey divorce. Alex schemed to get his mits on the DiMera fortune as soon as possible. Abe learned that the poison on the knives used to kill Renee and Kelly was extracted from a rare tropical plant. Joan had Nikki fired.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 26 - SEPTEMBER 30, 1983
Eugene freaked to find Trista murdered in the same manner as Renee and Kelly. Pete's gang members beat up Bo and warned him to stop investigating Pete. Sandy confirmed Neil's suspicions that Liz is being abused in prison. Hope smooched with Bo. Roman found a Raven's feather clutched in Trista's hand. Julie still has to face legal charges for lying that she killed Renee. To keep tabs on Liz, Sandy agreed to do volunteer medical work at the prison. Tom realized that all the murder victims were hospital employees. Marie stuck by Alex and Gwen lied she was with him the night Trista died.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 8, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RIP Trista Evans Bradford

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply