Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (16,330 Views)
Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 3 2014, 11:08 AM
RIP Trista Evans Bradford
Aw, Trista. I really didn't see that coming at the time. Barbara Crampton was a little rough around the edges acting-wise, but she grew into a fine actress on Y&R.

Reading these synopses now, it's obvious that the Tony/Andre storyline hadn't been conceived yet. Clearly this is Tony grieving for Renee and offering a reward for her killer and NOT Andre. It just doesn't ring true when they later explain that Tony was kidnapped from the wine cellar and replaced with Andre just before the murder. I distinctly remember a scene of Tony sitting and reminiscing in the Dimera living room with Renee's cat Moonshine on his lap. But it was Andre's allergy to cats that ultimately helped Roman realize that he wasn't Tony. Plot holes. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karenap63

Renee Dimera
Jun 3 2014, 12:22 PM
Matt
Aw, Trista. I really didn't see that coming at the time. Barbara Crampton was a little rough around the edges acting-wise, but she grew into a fine actress on Y&R.

Reading these synopses now, it's obvious that the Tony/Andre storyline hadn't been conceived yet. Clearly this is Tony grieving for Renee and offering a reward for her killer and NOT Andre. It just doesn't ring true when they later explain that Tony was kidnapped from the wine cellar and replaced with Andre just before the murder. I distinctly remember a scene of Tony sitting and reminiscing in the Dimera living room with Renee's cat Moonshine on his lap. But it was Andre's allergy to cats that ultimately helped Roman realize that he wasn't Tony. Plot holes. :)
I was thinking the same thing. I clearly can't remember when Andre locked Tony up. But I do remember Roman figuring out about Moonshine. Still hated the fact that Renee was not part of this. Loved that woman.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
May 30 2014, 01:18 PM
Matt
May 30 2014, 10:15 AM
RIP Renee (Dumonde) DiMera Banning Marshall
I wondered why I had that sharp pain under my shoulder blade today. :)

Seriously, this broke my 16-year-old heart back in the day. Renee is, to this day, my favorite character to walk through Salem. I was a lonely teenager, dealing with being gay, and there was something about her that spoke to me. Her final tirade where she talks about being on the outside looking in all of her life and feeling a compelling need for people to like her really resonated with me back then.

Given the resurgence of the Dimeras over the years, it really is a shame that Renee is not alive to take her place as the matriarch. Philece Sampler was just so damn talented!
I think what's even worse is that every Salem family talk about their past love ones regularly but nobody talks about Renee at all as if she never existed. The way Stefano loved his daughters Renee and Megan and nothing about them and don't get me started on the rarely mentioned Tony.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

karenap63
Jun 3 2014, 03:33 PM
Renee Dimera
Jun 3 2014, 12:22 PM
Matt

I was thinking the same thing. I clearly can't remember when Andre locked Tony up. But I do remember Roman figuring out about Moonshine. Still hated the fact that Renee was not part of this. Loved that woman.
If memory serves me right, Tony told Renee that he was going down to the wine cellar to get a bottle of champagne with which they would toast their reconciliation. Afterward, they would go downstairs together and tell the partygoers that they would be married once Renee's marriage to Alex was annulled.

Months later, when Andre taunted the imprisoned Tony in the secret room, he explained (and we saw via a newly filmed segment) how he (Andre) returned to Renee's bedroom with the champagne after Tony's abduction. He called Renee "doll face" or something similar and took her hands in his. She commented that he sounded strange, but when she felt his calloused hands she knew he wasn't Tony. She called him an imposter and said she was going to get Roman, so he killed her.

I took great pride in the fact that Renee knew immediately that he was an imposter, yet Anna was with him for months and didn't realize it. That shows who truly loved him...

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF OCTOBER 3 - OCTOBER 7, 1983
Neil began drinking again when his request to marry Liz was denied by prison officials. Gwen was attacked after she moved into Neil's old apartment. Gene and Tilson tried to decipher the inscriptions on an art object Gene had received from his grandfather. Hope tended to Bo, who was badly beaten by two members of the Vipers. Gene's cousin, Latisha, has several pet birds, including a raven. Liz's cellmate, Charlene, and her boyfriend, Tex, plotted against her. Billie, who has been beating up on Liz, is after Liz's money. Maggie told Don she loves him. Mr. Wilkins, David's alibi for Renee's murder, pressured David for money. Alex bought up Anderson Manufacturing stock. Tom agreed to help Sandy get a volunteer medical job at the prison.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 10 - OCTOBER 14, 1983
The attempt on Gwen's life was foiled when the Salem Slasher "stabbed" a pillow instead of Gwen. Joan was puzzled to find a note from the Salem Slasher stating that next time he won't fail his mission. Charlene taunted Liz about being in prison, inciting her to cause a disturbance. Marie resigned from the hospital after a run-in with Neil. Roman suspected that Alex, who inherited the entire DiMera fortune, is behind the attempt to kill Gwen. D.A. Larry pressured Roman to arrest Eugene for the Salem stabbings after learning that Gene and Leticia keep a pet raven. David admitted to lying about his whereabouts the night Renee died, but insisted that he didn't kill her.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 22, 1983

Spoiler: click to toggle

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 17 - OCTOBER 21, 1983
Maggie spent a platonic night with Don, who was in the dumps that Liz's appeal fizzled. Neil hired Bo, who devised a plan to infiltrate Reinhart prison. With help from lady executive Kate, Alex tricked Tony into selling Anderson Manufacturing. Chris flipped when he was fired by Alex. Anna saw Alex pay off security guard Tyler Malone who set Gene up as a suspect in Gwen's attack. Roman was ordered to arrest Gene, who mysteriously disappeared. Neil landed in jail for punching out Larry. Gwen nixed bedding down with Larry. Bo suspected Trista died because she knew something about the Salem Slasher. Daphne blackmailed Delia to keep mum that Daphne isn't really a semi-invalid.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 24 - OCTOBER 28, 1983
Roman questioned Anna, who admitted that she found Renee's body, but insisted she didn't kill Renee. Hoping to get a reward, Brett told Tony and Roman that he saw Anna with blood on her hands the night Renee died. To help Liz, Doug set up phony credentials for Bo's fictional film company. Sandy's being stalked by a stranger. Prison superintendent Mrs. Whiting tried to keep Bo and Danny from dong a documentary on Reinhart prison. Sandy avoided Chris' romantic advances. Marlena fumed because Roman and Chris closed the Right Connection while she was out of town. Brett told Roman that Trista had also seen the blood on Anna's hands. Anna came on to Tyler, whom Alex put in charge of a mystery international organization. Gene's still in hiding.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 6, 1983

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 31 - NOVEMBER 4, 1983
Anna found some of Kelly's belongings in Tyler's room. Liz pretended not to know Bo and Danny who were shown the confines of Rinehart prison by warden Edith Baker. Letitia hit Gene in her home, but she's not convinced he isn't a killer. Joan got a computer message that the Salem Slasher has picked his/her next victim. Chris bought Shenanigans from Tony. Marie was named hospital administrator. Pete is fascinated by Melissa. Liz was shocked when Billie asked her for sexual favors. For a big payoff, Mrs. Whiting helped Billie and Charlene plot a prison break to coincide with Liz's wedding day. Hope became mixed up in Bo's prison investigation. Sandy spent time with Tony. Gwen learned that Alex considers Roman his worst enemy.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 7 - NOVEMBER 11, 1983
It appeared that Gene stabbed Leticia but later he didn't remember the killing. Roman questioned Gene, while Marlena insisted Gene isn't a killer. Attorney Courtney Martin agreed to defend Gene. Bo passed Hope off as his wife to Mrs. Whiting. Maggie and Don's romance heated up on their Hawaiian trip. Obsessed with catching the Salem Slasher, Roman neglected Marlena. Anna found a letter stating that Kelly had left damning information about Alex with a friend, Kathy. Liz pretended that she didn't know Bo, Danny, and Hope. Pete shadowed Melissa. Brett disappeared from town. Mrs. Whiting and her accomplices plotted to get Bo, Danny, and Hope out of Rinehart before their prison break plans were thwarted. Melissa covered for Hope.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 20, 1983

jam6242
Member Avatar

Anna's brother didn't stick around very long. I didn't care for him anyway. He was too much like a Ken doll to me.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jun 6 2014, 06:30 PM
Anna's brother didn't stick around very long. I didn't care for him anyway. He was too much like a Ken doll to me.
ITA. He was God-awful. I think they brought him on with no clear back history or storyline plans for the character. He was a plot point to implicate Anna in Renee's murder. Nothing more.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Losing Philece from the show was bad enough, but reading these synopses brings to mind how we had to watch Renee get stabbed over and over again. It seemed like they paired off all the suspects, and they each recounted how they thought the other had killed her. I think we saw everyone stab her: Anna, Alex, Tony, Roman, Julie, Daphne, Delia, Pete, Eugene, David and lastly Andre. Talk about adding insult to injury. Poor Philece had to play it out over and over.

After all these years, I still want to say this to Margaret DePriest ... :flipoff:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 14 - NOVEMBER 18, 1983
During a temper tantrum, Roman punched out Alex. Later, Roman spied on Alex and Gwen. Sandy and Marlena freaked out to see Roman stab prostitute Daisy. Bo, Danny, and Hope escaped Rinehart prison with tapes proving Warden Baker's suspicion that Mrs. Whiting and her staff were corrupt. Neil got permission to marry Liz. Hope refused to stop seeing Bo. Alex ordered Tyler to silence Anna, who bragged she had damning information against Alex. Billie and Charlene plotted their prison break even though Mrs. Whiting had been fired. Bo told Hope he was not ready for marriage. Joan learned that Roman once underwent therapy. Tyler realized that Anna had stolen Kelly's letter from his room.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 21 - NOVEMBER 25, 1983
Alex freaked when Anna played taped conversations that prove Alex was in cahoots with Stefano's evil plots. Pete kidnapped Melissa. Abe reluctantly arrested Roman, who insisted he was framed by Daisy's real killer. Marlena suspected that someone who looks like Roman killed Daisy. Melissa was upset to learn from Marie, not Maggie, that Don and Maggie are engaged. Billie swore vengeance on Liz, who squealed to Warden Baker that Billie beat up on her. Daisy's killer, who appeared to be Roman, chose Gwen as a future victim. Gwen learned that Alex has been sleeping with Kelly's former prostitute pal, Kathy. Anna realized that blackmailing Alex won't be easy, but gloated that she got the tapes from Kathy. Mickey was livid to learn about Don and Maggie's marriage plans.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 28 - DECEMBER 2, 1983
Joan comforted Abe, who found a box of raven feathers, knives, and photos of the Salem Strangler's victims in Roman's bedroom. A disguised Bo took Roman out of jail after Alice baked Roman some donuts laced with a knockout drug. Melissa and Pete hid out at Maggie's farm and Melissa realized that he's not as tough as he makes out to be. Don told Marlena that he's not optimistic about Roman's chances to beat a murder rap. Two paramedics told Abe that they saw Roman run from Gwen's house the night that she was attacked. Anna realized that her attempt to blackmail Alex was foiled even though he paid her some money. Mickey suspected that Melissa had run away. Chris was jealous that Sandy is getting close to Tony. Billie and Charlene plotted their jail break after Liz asked Charlene to be her maid of honor.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 3, 1984

jam6242
Member Avatar

Aww, the donut caper!

karenap63

jam6242
Jun 9 2014, 02:56 PM
Aww, the donut caper!
God, I miss the good ole' days. What storylines we were able to see. Alice with her car stalling too. LMAO I just got done watching it again on you tube.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 5 - DECEMBER 9, 1983
Tyler's bullets missed Anna but he did get the tape linking Alex to Stefano's plots. Tyler lied to Alex that Anna still has the tape. Anna went on the run with Roman after she unwittingly hid in his car. She later told Roman about the tape. The real Slasher, who was disguised as Roman, attacked Joan but she fought him off. Alice was briefly jailed for helping Roman escape. Billie and Charlene got a gun and initiated their jail break during Liz and Neil's wedding. Melissa was rescued by the police but begged them to go easy on Pete. Melissa was surprised by her feelings for Pete. Bo was accused of stealing electronic equipment from Anderson Mfg. Gwen complained that Alex doesn't spend enough time with her.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 12 - DECEMBER 16, 1983
Neil helped capture Charlene but Liz was shot in the shoulder and suffered a blow to the head. Liz awoke in the hospital with no memory of the last two years, including Neil and Noel. Roman fumed that Anna phoned Carrie. Listening on the extension phone, Marlena learned Anna and Roman are on the run together. Neil was upset that Liz thinks she's married to Don. Chris told Sandy he hasn't found the girl of his dreams. Hope was miffed that Bo nixed a romantic evening with her to secretly meet with Roman. Neil is upset that he and Liz aren't legally married. Marie was sympathetic toward Neil's plight, but not thrilled that Liz's appeal went through and she's legally a free woman. Billie turned state's evidence against Charlene, who had her thrown into solitary before the prison break attempt.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 17, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 19 - DECEMBER 23, 1983
With info from secret informant Joan, Tyler kept close on Roman and Anna's heels. Roman's friend and former KGB double agent Nicolai hid Roman and Anna in a secluded cabin. Roman disguised himself and snuck into the hospital to see Carrie, who came out of a coma that had been caused by a fall on some ice. Roman realized that someone in the police force is revealing his and Anna's secret hiding places to Tyler and Alex. Anna secretly called Joan in an attempt to get police protection. Liz told a shocked Maggie that she loves Don. Hope's plot to seduce Bo didn't work, but she invited him to her 18th birthday party anyway. When Larry said that he was interested in Hope and her money, Gwen warned him that Hope is jail-bait. Pete was released from jail when Melissa refused to testify that he had kidnapped her.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 26 - DECEMBER 30, 1983
Melissa was upset to receive a phone call from her mother, Linda. Chris laid down strict ground rules after being appointed Pete's legal guardian. Neil moved out of Liz's apartment, and she agreed he could start courting her again. Joan kept Alex and Tyler informed as Roman and Anna changed hideouts. Marlena and Roman each investigated the Bradford curse with the hope of solving the Salem Slasher murders. Don told Liz that there's no future for them and that he intends to marry Maggie. Alice kept mum to a suspicious Tom that she had helped sneak Roman into the hospital to see Carrie, who is now at home. Hope's scheme to seduce Bo after her birthday party was a flop. Bo's partner, Howie, cast a roving eye at Marie.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 31, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JANUARY 2 - JANUARY 6, 1984
Hope blamed herself when Doug had a heart attack while arguing with her and Bo. Roman resisted Anna's sexual advances, insisting that he loves Marlena. Delia was suspicious of Tony, who began acting weird. At Roman's request, Bo planted listening devices in Alex's home. Gene and Marlena checked out various voodoo curses, looking for a lead to the Salem Slasher. Neil warned Larry away from Liz. Larry comforted Hope while she fretted over Doug, who is improving. Gene sensed that Gwen is lonely. Pete was jealous to see Melissa out on a date. Bo kept mum to Hope that he loves her. Alex put Marlena and Tony in charge of a hospital fundraiser he cooked up.
WEEK OF JANUARY 9 - JANUARY 13, 1984
Delia cautioned Tony not to blow their relationship with mystery contact "Phoenix." A new doctors, Veronica Kimball, took a shine to Neil. Tony and "Phoenix" plotted to use Alex's hospital fundraiser to their benefit. Gene tailed Bo in hopes of finding Roman's hiding place. Neil encouraged Liz to pursue her singing career, and she agreed to perform at the fundraiser. Maggie agreed to marry Don as soon as her divorce is final. Liz mooned over Don while Neil tried to court her. Alex fired Tyler, who fumed that he accidentally had erased Anna's blackmail tape about Alex. Hope was upset that Bo insisted they cool their romance. Melissa helped Pete study to get a high school diploma. Tony plotted to get close to Marlena.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 14, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JANUARY 16 - JANUARY 20, 1984
Roman learned that Gene's family is linked to the DiMera family by marriage, and that the Baka has affected the pasts of both families. On orders from "Phoenix," Tony had a thug steal the Baka from Gene. Bo stole Marlena's photos of the Baka for Roman, who noticed a Phoenix Bird symbol on the Baka. Hope and Bo broke up and she made Doug legal executor of her trust money. Liz decided to put some space between her and Neil. Alice was jealous when her old friend Mary Ellen came on to Tom. Gene had a premonition that the Salem Slasher will soon strike again. Roman went after Anna, who gave Bo the slip and returned to Salem. Larry convinced Hope that he's her friend. Marie had her hands full controlling Bo's partner, Howie, who was hospitalized with stomach pains. Tyler mysteriously disappeared. Joan told Alex that she wants out of his organization.
WEEK OF JANUARY 23 - JANUARY 27, 1984
Larry rescued Hope from the Salem Slasher who appeared to be Roman. Later, Tony took off a latex mask of Roman's face. Tony wondered why "Phoenix" had ordered him to make the intentionally unsuccessful attempt to kill Hope. Anna lied to Abe that she wasn't on the run with Roman. Tony was upset to learn that Delia knows everything about "Phoenix's" plans when he doesn't. Bo hid Roman in Gene's basement which connects via a tunnel to Alex's house and Doug's Place. Gwen teased Larry about his intentions toward Hope. Anna accepted Alex's money offer to find out if Tony's tapping Alex's Swiss bank accounts. Delia fumed when Tony rehired Anna and let her move in with him. An overly cautious Doug was released from the hospital. Roman and Bo plotted a fake death for Roman. Tony sent Daphne to live in Florida.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: FEBRUARY 28, 1984

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Thanks Matt for continually posting have seen many parts of these episodes but I enjoy reading about them again too fills in things I've forgotten or missed. Soaps in their glory days i so dearly miss.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

karenap63

Fafokahw
Jun 13 2014, 02:49 PM
Thanks Matt for continually posting have seen many parts of these episodes but I enjoy reading about them again too fills in things I've forgotten or missed. Soaps in their glory days i so dearly miss.
Yes, totally agree. It seems like in these storylines, they all worked as a team. That is what made the storylines so good. They all had chemistry with each other. Thank God for Matt and you tube. :rockon: :cheer:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF JANUARY 30 - FEBRUARY 3, 1984
A disguised Roman rented Alex's old house and plotted with Bo to blow the place up as part of a plan to fake Roman's death. Pete's sister Tess returned after a five-year absence. A jealous Neil dragged Liz off the stage when she sang a love song to Don. Bo insisted that Hope must stay out of his life. Chris rescued Hope when Pete's pal Speed roughed her up in an effort to learn Roman's hiding place. Pete and Speed want the reward offered for finding Roman. Anna was curious about the locked room in Tony's penthouse. Delia warned "Phoenix" that their enemies are closing in on them. Chris comforted Sandy when one of her patients died. Hope rented Bo's old pad over Shenanigans. Doug is frightened that his sex life is over because of his heart attack. Tony romanced Anna. Hope accepted Larry's date offer. Anna argued with Marlena that Roman's not crazy.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 13, 1984

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply