Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (26,338 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF FEBRUARY 6 - FEBRUARY 10, 1984
Bo planted rumors that Roman is in Salem; then he and Roman set off an explosion, supposedly blowing up Roman along with Alex's house. Tess agreed to keep Pete out of trouble while Chris goes on a ski trip with Sandy. Delia haunted Eugene with phone calls, seemingly from both of his dead wives. Neil started seeing more of Veronica after he nearly raped Liz. As ordered by "Phoenix," Tony stabbed a gatekeeper and plotted to poison Marlena in order to smoke Roman out of hiding. Larry told Hope that he may be the next lieutenant governor; then he hinted to Doug that she's still seeing Bo. Delia had a mystery person withdraw more money from Alex's bank accounts.
WEEK OF FEBRUARY 13 - FEBRUARY 17, 1984
Everyone freaked out when a body, presumed to be Roman's was found in the rubble of Alex's old house. Marlena awoke form a dream about Roman and was puzzled to see a man, who appeared to be Don, in her bedroom. Tony voided his plan to kill Marlena, but vowed to kill anyone who got in his way of attaining "the good life." Delia had the last of Alex's money withdrawn from his Swiss bank accounts. Abe resigned from the police force after an argument with Larry. Sandy and Chris made love. Hope told Doug and Julie that she's moving into her own pad. Larry beamed that Hope made a hit as his date at a political bash. Anna duplicated Delia's key to the locked room in Tony's penthouse. Hope warned Janet to stay away from Bo. Gene saw Trista's "Ghost."
WEEK OF FEBRUARY 20 - FEBRUARY 24, 1984
Marlena freaked to see Roman, who had used a mask to pose as Don, after Alex's house exploded. Roman's ex-spy pal paid off a police pathologist who lied that Roman died in the explosion. Marlena and Abe hid Roman in Eugene's basement. Abe spread word of Roman's death so that he can track the Salem Slasher. Bo agreed to dump Hope because she inadvertently bungles his detective work. Larry set up Hope to find Bo with another woman. Delia realized that Anna has a key to Tony's secret room. Anna and Alex were surprised to see that the room appears to be a den. Phoenix ordered Tony to kill Alex.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MARCH 27, 1984

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Would love to watch those episodes on my tv :)

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Oak Alley
Jun 18 2014, 05:02 AM
Absolutely. This was an era when there was so much going on that if you missed a day, you missed A LOT! Sure, there was a lot of silliness and implausibility, but it sure was fun to watch and kept us on the edge of our seats. And the Friday cliffhangers were awesome! Every Friday! And the music... oh the music. They actually used current pop songs to advance the storylines, and sometimes we were treated to those dramatic scene montages set to music at the end of important episodes. Great stuff!

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Jun 18 2014, 07:23 AM
Oak Alley
Absolutely. This was an era when there was so much going on that if you missed a day, you missed A LOT! Sure, there was a lot of silliness and implausibility, but it sure was fun to watch and kept us on the edge of our seats. And the Friday cliffhangers were awesome! Every Friday! And the music... oh the music. They actually used current pop songs to advance the storylines, and sometimes we were treated to those dramatic scene montages set to music at the end of important episodes. Great stuff!
making me all jealous, lol

I'm eternally greatful for various YT users to uploads full episodes from that era. I remember watching the Island story from 1984 one evening, and when I finished all the parts it was 5am, lol. It was so worth it though! :D

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF FEBRUARY 27 - MARCH 2, 1984
Tony met with "Phoenix," who is really the supposedly deceased Stefano DiMera. Bo befriended former hooker Diane, who moved into his pad to make everyone think Bo's dumped Hope for good. Abe and Roman checked out the information on Slasher victim Kelly. Peter was embarrassed when Chris threw a party to celebrate Pete's passing of his high school equivalency test. As planned by Larry, reporter Chet tried to blackmail Hope with a story stating that she caused Doug's heart attack. Larry later agreed to help Hope out of her jam with Chet. "Phoenix" (Stefano) ordered Tony to forget his plans to vacation with Anna, who spent the night in Tony's bed. Tom was shocked to learn that Alice had helped Roman escape from jail. Julie was jealous that Doug interviewed models for the charity fashion show.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: APRIL 10, 1984

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Oak Alley
Jun 18 2014, 07:27 AM
Renee Dimera
Oak Alley

I'm eternally greatful for various YT users to uploads full episodes from that era. I remember watching the Island story from 1984 one evening, and when I finished all the parts it was 5am, lol. It was so worth it though! :D
If you haven't already done so, be sure to watch the days leading up to and including Renee's party and murder. That's incredible material as well. :)

Oak Alley
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Jun 18 2014, 01:58 PM
Oak Alley
Jun 18 2014, 07:27 AM
Renee Dimera
Oak Alley

If you haven't already done so, be sure to watch the days leading up to and including Renee's party and murder. That's incredible material as well. :)
I've really only seen snippets from Renee's party & murder from the Bo & Hope playlist going back to 1983, and also Roman & Marlena's playlist. I will search and search to see if there's more out there on YT :)

Last week I saw some moments of Renee's wedding to David. They were I think, in the DiMera Mansion with Stefano & Scotty. So sweet.
Edited by Oak Alley, Jun 18 2014, 02:36 PM.

karenap63

Renee Dimera
Oak Alley
Yes, Renee Dimera. I took my lunch hour from 1 - 2 p.m. everyday, just to watch days. Then I got a VCR. You are correct, if you missed one episode you could get lost on what happened. So many twists, turns, disguises, laughs and crying all in one episode. Loved the music. One of my favorites was Bo/Hope's theme "whenever we imagine" by James Ingram. I still love that song to this day.
Edited by karenap63, Jun 19 2014, 07:35 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF MARCH 5 - MARCH 9, 1984
Stefano plotted Roman's death after learning that he is still alive. Liz recalled seeing a picture of the Baka at Stefano's European home. Delia used the Baka as a key to open a secret room in Tony's library. Alex ordered Anna to find out what Mickey knows about some unreported robberies at Anderson Manufacturing. Neil tried to persuade Liz to get psychiatric help to regain her memory. Gene met with Kelly's sister, Molly, who said that Kelly had banked a large sum of money the day Stefano died. Stefano admitted to Tony that Kelly had faked his death by giving him a special drug.
WEEK OF MARCH 12 - MARCH 16, 1984
Tony and Stefano taunted a masked mystery prisoner that Stefano is keeping chained in a dungeon-like room. Two armed robbers held Liz at gunpoint, and then ordered Doug to hand over the receipts from Doug's Place. Tony told the mystery prisoner that Anna had agreed to marry Tony. Don was puzzled to learn that Marlena is not sleeping at home. Marlena kept mum that she's been with Roman. Roman realized that his cover was blown when he discovered surveillance cameras in Gene's house. Liz agreed to re-enact her aborted wedding in hopes of regaining her memory. Abe learned that the doctor who signed Stefano's death certificate had died a day later.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: APRIL 24, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF MARCH 19 - MARCH 23, 1984
Stefano's mystery prison turned out to be the real Tony DiMera. Tony's cousin, who had had plastic surgery, was impersonating Tony. Liz's amnesia vanished when she sound of gunfire triggered her memory back to normal. Roman learned that Tony (Andre) owned the surveillance equipment planted in Gene's house. Gene and Bo learned that Stefano's former doctor had been murdered. Liz was upset that Neil had gone to Miami. Roman found proof that Stefano knew Mrs. Neeley's husband, killed by the Slasher. Larry forced Diane to lie to Hope that she was pregnant by Bo.
WEEK OF MARCH 26 - MARCH 30, 1984
Gene, Bo, and Roman puzzled over clues that indicate Stefano is alive. Chris went into a panic when Sandy said she loves him. Pete realized that he's not playing in the same social ballpark as Melissa. Larry's passionate kisses took Hope's breath away. Liz located the hotel Neil's holed up in. Alex was furious that someone used his name and his money to buy the Salem Inn. Bo and Gene searched Tony's (Andre's) apartment for clues to the Slasher's identity while trying to prove that Stefano's alive. Sandy is jealous of Chris' friendship with Tess.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MAY 8, 1984

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Lol. Stefano says Andre will die for killing Renee, yet he never follows through on it, and the old fool defended Andre ever after he killed Benji as well. They should have let Stefano kill Andre himself, with his final words to Andre being "this is for Renee and Benji" before striking the death blow.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Meanwhile, Doug and Julie have gone off on their cruise without a hint that it would be long term. We didn't see them on-screen together again until December 1993. :redface:

karenap63

jam6242
Jun 21 2014, 04:02 PM
Meanwhile, Doug and Julie have gone off on their cruise without a hint that it would be long term. We didn't see them on-screen together again until December 1993. :redfac

I adored Doug/Julie. I always loved when Doug and Liz would belt out those tunes. Magic
Edited by karenap63, Jun 21 2014, 07:02 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Meanwhile, Doug and Julie have gone off on their cruise without a hint that it would be long term. We didn't see them on-screen together again until December 1993. :redface:
Actually, it was January 1993! Doug and Julie reunited in her last episode when she was fired (and Elizabeth Harrower, Susan's mom, wrote the episode). Then they came back for Christmas (Tom's last one).

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

jam6242
Such a crock. The soap couple that appeared on the cover of Time magazine not even a decade earlier just disappeared into the night. We didn't even get them back for Bo and Hope's wedding.

I know a lot of people revere this era on the show (there was a lot to like), but it's safe to say that some damn egregious mistakes were made during this time.
Edited by Renee Dimera, Jun 21 2014, 09:38 PM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jun 21 2014, 08:59 PM
jam6242
Actually, it was January 1993! Doug and Julie reunited in her last episode when she was fired (and Elizabeth Harrower, Susan's mom, wrote the episode). Then they came back for Christmas (Tom's last one).
Jason, I remember Julie leaving Salem to join Doug but don't remember Doug being shown. Do you know if there is a clip on youtube?

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Jun 21 2014, 09:38 PM
Jason47
jam6242
Jason, I remember Julie leaving Salem to join Doug but don't remember Doug being shown. Do you know if there is a clip on youtube?
I searched YouTube and didn't see it. Here's the episode info:

1/28/93: Abe, Alice, Billie, Bo, Carly, John, Julie, Marlena, Rebecca, Roman, Sami, Victor, Doug, Lexie, Cash, Nun, Cop # 1 (Frank), Cop # 2, Cop # 3, Paramedic # 1, Paramedic # 2, Reporter # 1, Reporter # 2, Doctor, Chez Vous Waiter.
Sets: Nurses’ Station & Staff Lounge, Brady’s Pub, Roman & Marlena's Living Room, Pier, Casey’s Roadhouse, Doug’s Room in Switzerland, Chez Vous, Hospital Operating Room.

And from Beth's archive, here's the synopsis:

Julie calls Alice from Zurich. They won't tell her where Doug is. She is in what is supposed to be his room but he is not there. Alice tells her to go down to the desk and demand to see him. While she is on the phone, Doug walks into the room. He sneaks out and when she turns around he is sitting in a wheelchair in front of her. She tries to convince him that he should be in a major medical facility but he tells her he wants her to nurse him. Unfortunately for him at that moment a nun comes in and takes away the wheelchair, leaving him standing in front of his not so pleased ex-wife, He tells her it was the only way he could get her over there and tells her that he can't stand it without her. He says he can't believe she divorced him that last time and she says he was the one that signed the stupid divorce papers first. Then he asks her to marry him again and she says she can't, she already married him twice and she can't make that mistake again. She won't leave Salem and all her family and Doug asks her if she is happy. He says if she is he will book tickets on the plane home. She tells him that he should book the tickets then, but before she leaves he gives her a gift which he tells her not to open until she gets home. When she is gone he picks up a picture of her and starts to sing 'the most beautiful girl in the world'. As he puts the picture down he hears the music. In the doorway Julie is holding a silver music box. She says that he knew that she wouldn't wait till she got home to open the gift and he says that he hoped she wouldn't. She wants to hear those words again and he asks 'for the last time'? She tells him, no, for the rest of her life (Awwww ..)

jam6242
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jun 21 2014, 10:47 PM
jam6242
Jun 21 2014, 09:38 PM
Jason47
jam6242
I searched YouTube and didn't see it. Here's the episode info:

1/28/93: Abe, Alice, Billie, Bo, Carly, John, Julie, Marlena, Rebecca, Roman, Sami, Victor, Doug, Lexie, Cash, Nun, Cop # 1 (Frank), Cop # 2, Cop # 3, Paramedic # 1, Paramedic # 2, Reporter # 1, Reporter # 2, Doctor, Chez Vous Waiter.
Sets: Nurses’ Station & Staff Lounge, Brady’s Pub, Roman & Marlena's Living Room, Pier, Casey’s Roadhouse, Doug’s Room in Switzerland, Chez Vous, Hospital Operating Room.

And from Beth's archive, here's the synopsis:

Julie calls Alice from Zurich. They won't tell her where Doug is. She is in what is supposed to be his room but he is not there. Alice tells her to go down to the desk and demand to see him. While she is on the phone, Doug walks into the room. He sneaks out and when she turns around he is sitting in a wheelchair in front of her. She tries to convince him that he should be in a major medical facility but he tells her he wants her to nurse him. Unfortunately for him at that moment a nun comes in and takes away the wheelchair, leaving him standing in front of his not so pleased ex-wife, He tells her it was the only way he could get her over there and tells her that he can't stand it without her. He says he can't believe she divorced him that last time and she says he was the one that signed the stupid divorce papers first. Then he asks her to marry him again and she says she can't, she already married him twice and she can't make that mistake again. She won't leave Salem and all her family and Doug asks her if she is happy. He says if she is he will book tickets on the plane home. She tells him that he should book the tickets then, but before she leaves he gives her a gift which he tells her not to open until she gets home. When she is gone he picks up a picture of her and starts to sing 'the most beautiful girl in the world'. As he puts the picture down he hears the music. In the doorway Julie is holding a silver music box. She says that he knew that she wouldn't wait till she got home to open the gift and he says that he hoped she wouldn't. She wants to hear those words again and he asks 'for the last time'? She tells him, no, for the rest of her life (Awwww ..)
Thanks Jason! I managed to miss that one. The last I remember was Julie telling Tom, Alice, Jack, and Maggie goodbye at the newspaper office. Hope it turns up on youtube sometime.
Edited by jam6242, Jun 21 2014, 11:05 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF APRIL 2 - APRIL 6, 1984
A reunited Liz and Neil made wedding plans. Stefano ordered Roman taken prisoner after learning that Roman has the Baka, which Bo found in Tony's (Andre's) safe. Roman was shocked to learn that Stefano's alive after finding his fingerprints on a chess piece in Mrs. Venable's penthouse, which is Stefano's hideout. Diane lied to Larry that she seduced Bo, as Larry had ordered. Larry resisted Hope's sexual advances, and lied that he doesn't want her on the rebound from Bo. Melissa warned that Pete may have to decide whether his loyalty lies with the Vipers or the people trying to help him. Anna told Alex that she suspects Delia is stealing his money. Chris fumed to catch Alex coming on to Tess, whom Alex hired as a housekeeper. Stefano confided to Delia that Andre will have to die to avenge Renee's death.
WEEK OF APRIL 9 - APRIL 13, 1984
As he had planned, Roman was abducted by Stefano's henchman, but Stefano didn't reveal the slayer's identity. Marlena consulted Neil about her fainting spells and learned that she's pregnant. To cover up that Roman is still alive, Eugene admitted that he's the father and wed Marlena in a quickie ceremony. Delia and Andre plotted to disassociate themselves from Stefano in case he's caught. Gwen pulled away from Larry's kisses, insisting that she won't be a sex substitute for Hope. Anna stole Tony's (Andre's) key to the dungeon and let out a blood-curdling cry when she unmasked the prisoner. While Sandy is on a medical trip, Chris dated Tess.
WEEK OF APRIL 16 - APRIL 20, 1984
Liz and Neil were married. Neil rescued Carlo Forenza, the son of Neil's deceased war buddy, from a Latin American prison. Tony convinced Anna of his true identity. Delia and Andre chained Anna up with Tony after catching her in the dungeon. Melissa and Pete shared their first romantic kiss. Andre revealed that he killed Renee because she had realized he wasn't Tony, but Andre admitted that Stefano hadn't ordered Renee's death. Larry investigated Bo's past. Roman, who escaped from Stefano's henchmen, was ecstatic over Marlena's pregnancy.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: MAY 22, 1984

Edited by Matt, Jun 23 2014, 10:55 AM.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Buh bye, Sandy Horton. She has left town for the medical convention that never ends. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply