Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (29,323 Views)
Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF AUGUST 27 - AUGUST 31, 1984
Alex was intrigued by Madame X, who is a newcomer to town. Maggie broke off her engagement with Don and told Mickey she won't resume their marriage. Melissa was devastated to see Pete out with an "older woman." Hitman Shane is also Larry's butler. Maxwell's man, Bill, warned Hope to cooperate fully with Larry, who is running for lieutenant governor. Carlo held a tearful Liz, who cried that Neil won't tell her what's bothering him. Neil freaked when Maxwell sent him a tape recording of Neil's loan arrangement with Maxwell. Maxwell demanded more blank hospital forms from Neil.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 3 - SEPTEMBER 7, 1984
Disguised as a necklace, the second of the three prisms was sent to Daphne, who thinks Stefano once owned it. Daphne lent the prism to Kimberly, who lent it to Melissa. Maxwell dispatched his henchmen to get the prism, even if they have to kill for it. Madame X gave Alex money to invest in Anna's dress business, but Madame kept mum that she plans to use the business as a front for her prostitution ring. Pete made megabucks performing his strip act. Liz was shocked to realize the animal attraction between herself and Carlo. Maxwell threatened to tell Liz that Neil took out a personal loan if Neil doesn't produce more blank hospital forms. Neil took a poke at Maxwell, who taunted that he knows about Neil's sordid past. Roman nearly fainted when Marlena said they're expecting twins. Bo and Eugene tracked the first prism, which is in the stomach of a New Orleans alligator. Hitman Shane spied on Hope and Bo's romantic trysts.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 9, 1984

Spoiler: click to toggle
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Prism, prism... who's got the prism? lol

Madame X *sigh* :eyeroll: :shame:

scottydoug

Thanks for posting these, Matt! I started watching as a teen in '86 and love getting caught up on past years. My observation on the past few months of 1984 synopses... the show is getting more plot-driven, and away from character-based storylines. Doug and Julie have disappeared, and Maggie (temporarily), Don and Marie will soon be gone. To me, that's sad, but of course Days was on its way to its peak in popularity. By the time I started watching in '86, the show was in full "super-couple" mode, and it was a well-oiled machine. I arrived just in time for the start of Patch and Kayla. Plot definitely drove the story, but there were enough well-crafted character moments to keep me hooked. Looking back at your synopses, though, I am sad I missed 1982 and 1983, as it appears character was king, which is my preference.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 10 - SEPTEMBER 14, 1984
Melissa was in emotional shambles after a visit from her mom, Linda. Madame X secretly gave Alex money to buy Beefcakes, the strip joint where Peter works. Anna is suspicious of where Alex got the money to invest in her dress business. Tony was not thrilled to learn that he and Alex are partners in Anna's business. Maxwell's goons failed an attempt to get the second prism from Melissa.
WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 17 - SEPTEMBER 21, 1984
In Europe, Andre vowed to get Anna back, even if it means killing his cousin Tony. Hope wa shocked to learn that Diane is alive and that Bo is aware that Zach is Diane's son, not Megan's. Pete began to like Madame X, who helped him improve his strip act and gave him a contract at Beefcakes. Bo was caught int he debris as Maxwell's thugs blew up Tony's safe int he hope of getting the second prism back.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: OCTOBER 23, 1984

karenap63

scottydoug
Jul 7 2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting these, Matt! I started watching as a teen in '86 and love getting caught up on past years. My observation on the past few months of 1984 synopses... the show is getting more plot-driven, and away from character-based storylines. Doug and Julie have disappeared, and Maggie (temporarily), Don and Marie will soon be gone. To me, that's sad, but of course Days was on its way to its peak in popularity. By the time I started watching in '86, the show was in full "super-couple" mode, and it was a well-oiled machine. I arrived just in time for the start of Patch and Kayla. Plot definitely drove the story, but there were enough well-crafted character moments to keep me hooked. Looking back at your synopses, though, I am sad I missed 1982 and 1983, as it appears character was king, which is my preference.
I started to watch Days in the 70's. It was ok then. My time was when they introduced the character of Roman Brady (Wayne Northrop). The rugged Salem detective/ISA agent. For me, he is the one who changed Days. Everyone started to watch. It hit an all time high in the ratings. The story of "The cop and the doc". Roman, Kayla, and then rebel Bo were all introduced. If you watch you tube, you will see all characters had chemistry with each other. The storylines all had twists, turns, disguises, laughs and crying all in the same episode. I loved Renee Dimera, but they killed her off. For me, Wayne Northrop was such a tremendous actor. I loved Alice's antics with Bo, especially breaking Roman out of jail with the "drugged donuts". JMO

jwsel
Member Avatar

scottydoug
See I don't consider those old stories "plot-driven" at all. When I use that phrase, it means that the characters perform acts to serve the plot that aren't necessarily consistent with the character that has been established. To give a current example, Nicole destroying the evidence that might clear Eric was necessary to create conflict, but made no sense in light of the character growth Nicole had shown over the past year, her love for Eric, or her actions to clear Eric to that point. Similarly, Jennifer not mourning Jack and rushing to Daniel was plot-driven to create Dannifer, but bore no connection to the Jennifer that existed for the previous 20+ years.

When I look back at the stories in these synopses, while they had plot, the characters were generally consistent. The plots were often silly, but they were designed to give the characters opportunities to grow, while always remaining in character. For instance, in the episodes Matt is currently posting about, Bo and Hope's relationship may have had to overcome the obstacles furnished by the plot -- Hope being forced to marry Larry, Bo working for Maxwell, everyone hunting for the first prism -- but the writers never forgot to show that Bo and Hope loved each other, the support they had from Alice and Tom, and Bo's complicated relationship with Roman. Similarly, someone like Larry was slimy and a villain, but he wasn't one-note like so many characters today. He was shown to be unhappy at being forced to marry Hope, but his biggest failing was that he was politically ambitious. These stories had more of an adventure dynamic than the past ones did, and they certainly were more unrealistic, but I don't think the writers really sacrificed characterization to serve plot like they do today.

scottydoug

jwsel
Jul 8 2014, 11:33 AM
scottydoug
See I don't consider those old stories "plot-driven" at all. When I use that phrase, it means that the characters perform acts to serve the plot that aren't necessarily consistent with the character that has been established. To give a current example, Nicole destroying the evidence that might clear Eric was necessary to create conflict, but made no sense in light of the character growth Nicole had shown over the past year, her love for Eric, or her actions to clear Eric to that point. Similarly, Jennifer not mourning Jack and rushing to Daniel was plot-driven to create Dannifer, but bore no connection to the Jennifer that existed for the previous 20+ years.

When I look back at the stories in these synopses, while they had plot, the characters were generally consistent. The plots were often silly, but they were designed to give the characters opportunities to grow, while always remaining in character. For instance, in the episodes Matt is currently posting about, Bo and Hope's relationship may have had to overcome the obstacles furnished by the plot -- Hope being forced to marry Larry, Bo working for Maxwell, everyone hunting for the first prism -- but the writers never forgot to show that Bo and Hope loved each other, the support they had from Alice and Tom, and Bo's complicated relationship with Roman. Similarly, someone like Larry was slimy and a villain, but he wasn't one-note like so many characters today. He was shown to be unhappy at being forced to marry Hope, but his biggest failing was that he was politically ambitious. These stories had more of an adventure dynamic than the past ones did, and they certainly were more unrealistic, but I don't think the writers really sacrificed characterization to serve plot like they do today.

That makes sense... I guess I'm using "plot-driven" in another context. I remember in the late 80s, the super-couple would have an adventure storyline, and the plot would wrap up, usually on a Friday episode, and the next week a new story would begin. Whereas I feel like there have been times where the stories are more focused on the relationships of the characters - the interactions drive the plot and there is no clear start or end point. Anyway, I agree with you 100% re: Dannifer and Ericole!

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 24 - SEPTEMBER 28, 1984
Liz slapped Carlo's face when he tried to realize his romantic daydreams about her and stole a kiss. Bo, who suffered bruises in the safe explosion, continued his search for the second prism, which Daphne has hidden. Later, Daphne suffered a heart attack. Bo realized Daphne's hospital room was bugged and that someone overheard Bo and Hope make secret plans to meet. A mystery man tailed Bo and Hope, who rendezvoused in the tunnel connecting Blondie's Place with Liz's mansion. Melissa freaked out to see Peter performing his strip act. Liz was upset that Neil nixed Carlo's plans to get his own pad. Neil was upset to receive a disturbing letter from Carlo's mother, Danielle. Anna used her charms to persuade fashion coordinator Leonard Stacy to include her dresses in his upcoming fashion show.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 1 - OCTOBER 5, 1984
Believing that Stefano is dead, Andre headed for Salem to retrieve the prisms. Shane forced Hope to fire him so that he could follow Bo, who went to New Orleans to find the first prism. Eugene got nowhere with Daphne, who did tell Calliope where the second prism is hidden. Neil spoke with Danielle, who told him some U.S. government types questioned her about him. Carlo agreed not to tell Neil about his feelings for Liz, who was shocked when she fantasized about making love with Carlo. Madame X ordered Alex to hire Pete for a modeling job. Anna accepted Leonard's offer to put on a fashion show using her designs. Mickey and Maggie aren't buying Linda's claim that she's a reformed person. Marlena went into false labor after learning that Andre is alive. Roman assigned Abe to find Andre.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 6, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 8 - OCTOBER 12, 1984
Bo visited Diane in Paris, then went to England to search for Andre. Liz was aghast when Carlo kissed her. She then said she needs a real man - like him. Danielle warned Neil that the government types know his whereabouts. Gwen drugged Max and then made a copy of his office keys. Hope slugged Larry, who suggested they sleep together. Hope noticed the name Chorvat in Larry's family Bible. Andre moved into Tony's penthouse when Tony went to Florida. Delia's sister, Gabrielle, accompanied Andre to Salem. Melissa and Pete made up and he admitted he is dancing to earn money for their future. Maxwell was taken prisoner when he went to meet with Andre. Max's henchwoman, Nurse Honeycutt, grilled Daphne about the prism. Megan seemingly accepted Andre's takeover of Maxwell's mysterious cartel.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 15 - OCTOBER 19, 1994
Megan called her real father, Stefano, to report that Maxwell disappeared. Kimberly quit her photography job then considered working as a hooker. Hoping to find the prisms, Andre and his sidekick Abigail searched Kimberly's pad. Eugene saw Megan board a mysterious yacht. Marlena presented Roman with a son and a daughter. Stefano is determined to ruin Roman. Shawn and Caroline were upset that their daughter Kimberly won't spend time with them. Bo and Diane found clippings about Roman in Andre's English theater dressing room. Carlo comforted Liz when Neil was unable to make love to her. Carlo learned from Danielle's letters that Neil is in trouble. Anna planned a fashion show at Eugene's Caribbean island home. Pete lied to Melissa that he's driving a truck for a living. Pete was blackmailed into dating society dame Suzie, who saw him at Beefcakes. Nurse Honeycutt convinced Tony to put Daphne in a Florida nursing home.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 20, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, hello there, Sami & Eric Brady.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

A couple of observations:

1. Buh bye, Max Hathaway. I was so happy that pit was bottomless.

2. Clearly, Stefano had placed false memories into Megan's mind if she remembered playing at her father's feet with her sister Renee. Stefano didn't even know Renee was his daughter until she was an adult. The writers couldn't even respect history that was less than two years old! :rolleyes:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I had that exact same though re: Megan/Renee when I read that. I was like "But... wait!" In fact, DAYS had a TERRIBLE habit of rewriting past history during this period. This whole Chorvat story is a mess (IMO) and there's some SERIOUS WTFery coming up with Neil that makes not a damn bit of sense considering everything we saw in the 70s.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Matt
Jul 10 2014, 11:38 AM
I had that exact same though re: Megan/Renee when I read that. I was like "But... wait!" In fact, DAYS had a TERRIBLE habit of rewriting past history during this period. This whole Chorvat story is a mess (IMO) and there's some SERIOUS WTFery coming up with Neil that makes not a damn bit of sense considering everything we saw in the 70s.
I always thought the Chorvat story was a rewrite that TPTB did when Wayne decided to leave and they decided to bring Charles Shaughnessy on as a contract actor. When Shane reappears in October and reveals that he is ISA to Abe, he suddenly becomes an exposition monkey who gives this whole, previously undisclosed history about Larry, Stefano and Chorvat.

These digests also are funny for what they get wrong. Kim didn't exactly consider working as a prostitute again; she was blackmailed by Linda Anderson. And the repeated references to Shane as the "hit man" in New Orleans was something viewers guessed because the man following Bo and Hope had the same ring that Shane wore, but he was never revealed to be Shane.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 22 - OCTOBER 26, 1984
Pete unwittingly bought a stolen car from his pal Speed. Megan had a warn reunion with Stefano, who vowed he'll kill Roman. Megan learned that the second prism will be used in Anna's fashion show at Gene's Haitian home. Liz and Carlo agreed to work at Anna's fashion show. Andre vowed Roman will died because he discovered Andre was the Salem Slasher. Kimberly has become a full-time hooker. Liz worried about Neil, who was relieved of his hospital duties because of his drinking. Alex blackmailed Madame X after learning her real identity. Megan and Stefano are letting Andre do all the work to find the missing prisms. Mickey joined Maggie in New York City. Bo and Eugene learned that Larry may have Soviet ties. Hope fended off the sexual advances of Shane's henchman, Will. Marlena and Roman named the twins Samantha Gene and Eric Roman.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 29 - NOVEMBER 2, 1984
Stefano told Megan he must find Larry's father, Russian spy Dr. Victor Chorvat, since Chorvat had the secret technique to cure Stefano's rare brain tumor. Gwen felt guilty after telling the press that Larry was Victor's son. Bo grabbed the controls of the plane to Haiti after Andre knocked the pilot out cold. Bo had taken Roman's place on the plane because Roman had to donate blood to save an ailing Eric. Also on the plane to Haiti were Anna, Liz, Carlo, Eugene, Hope, Tony, Nurse Honeycutt, Daphne, and Calliope.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 4, 1984

Jason47
Member Avatar

jwsel
Jul 11 2014, 10:51 AM
The repeated references to Shane as the "hit man" in New Orleans was something viewers guessed because the man following Bo and Hope had the same ring that Shane wore, but he was never revealed to be Shane.
He's in the cast lists as both "Shadow Man" and "Shane's Man." He was played by William Austyn from 7/23/84-10/30/84.
Edited by Jason47, Jul 11 2014, 01:38 PM.

nananana7
Member Avatar

Matt
Jul 10 2014, 10:44 AM
Well, hello there, Sami & Eric Brady.
Matt
Jul 11 2014, 10:54 AM
SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 4, 1984

SOD spelled Sami's middle name wrong.

behind spoiler tag is video of Marlena and Roman in the hospital right after the twins are born, explaining to Eugene that they gave Sami the middle name -- spelled "Gene" after Eugene.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 5 - NOVEMBER 9, 1984
Roman left for Haiti, using Kimberly's old photos of the Bermuda Triangle area to chart the location of Stefano's island. Roman was surprised to learn that old friend Capt. Shane Donovan was Roman's ISA contact. Anna plotted to kill Andre after realizing he was posing as Tony again. After the plane crash, the real Tony woke up in the care of an island girl. Melissa freaked out when she found a drunken Pete in bed with Madame X, who really was Melissa's mother, Linda. The pilot of the plane died of a heart attack before the crash. Megan believed that Bo was dead and resented having to look after Zach. Larry was elected attorney general. Hope was convinced that Larry died from the fall he took during an argument with her.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 12 - NOVEMBER 16, 1984
Alex caught Gwen and Larry in their cozy love-nest. Anna was upset when Andre cried crocodile tears over Daphne, who died. The real Tony learned that his rescuer, whom he calls Jasmine, was long ago shipwrecked on the island. Andre threatened Anna after she said she'll reveal his identity. Liz was upset to read Danielle's letter which referred to Neil's mysterious identity. Danielle arrived in Salem to comfort Neil. The plane crash survivors are unaware of Jasmine's and Tony's presence on the island. Stefano charted the location of the island where the plane crashed. Stefano had Abigail killed. Calliope found Jasmine's dog, Herschel, who later buried the prism necklace. Madame X (Linda) blackmailed Kimberly into joining Madame X's hooker stable. Pete, who doesn't know Madame X's identity, was puzzled that Melissa accused him of sleeping with Linda.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 18, 1984

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RIP Daphne DiMera.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
Jul 14 2014, 10:58 AM
RIP Daphne DiMera.
I may have dreamed this, but didn't Stefano ultimately have Daphne's body exhumed and buried in the Dimera family plot in Salem?

Jasmine the island girl ... :rolleyes:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 19 - NOVEMBER 23, 1984
Calliope stumbled onto Tony's and Jasmine's island hut. Tony was furious to learn that Andre is alive. Bo rescued Hope, who was about to be kidnapped by Stefano's band of Amazon henchwomen. Later, during a fight, Andre and Tony landed in a pool of quicksand, but Jasmine pulls Tony from the jaws of death. Stefano and Roman struggled near a high cliff and Roman fell over the edge. Pete fumed to see Melissa hanging out with Tess' soon-to-be ex-husband, Barry Reid. Madame X (Linda) closed down Beefcakes. Melissa insisted to Chris that it was Linda she saw in bed with a drunken Pete even though Linda lied that she was out of town at the time. Bo tried to rescue Roman. The sexual attraction between Liz and Carlo reached the boiling point. Assuming that Hope is dead, Larry asked Gwen to marry him.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 1, 1985

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply