Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vintage DAYS SOD Synopses; in order, from the premiere issue
Topic Started: Nov 27 2013, 12:08 PM (26,330 Views)
Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

My head is spinning reading these synopses and remembering. The pacing is just amazing; how I wish things moved along at a clip like this now.

I loved Elizabeth Keifer as Amy and was really hoping she'd stay in the cast, but she was bound for brighter pastures (her Emmy-winning turn on Guiding Light). Of course, Tod is about to cross the river Jordan, so I guess she wasn't really needed beyond this storyline.
Edited by Renee Dimera, Aug 14 2014, 11:28 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GnuHopper

Matt
Aug 14 2014, 11:08 AM
Well, hello there, Jennifer Rose. Look at you running away form home, living on the street, & trying to pick up older men in bars.
Knowing how she ends up, I would've told Mike to leave her @ss there.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Aug 14 2014, 11:27 AM
My head is spinning reading these synopses and remembering. The pacing is just amazing; how I wish things moved along at a clip like this now.

I loved Elizabeth Keifer as Amy and was really hoping she'd stay in the cast, but she was bound for brighter pastures (her Emmy-winning turn on Guiding Light). Of course, Tod is about to cross the river Jordan, so I guess she wasn't really needed beyond this storyline.
ITA. And not only was the pacing phenomenal, but those few weeks gave us some classic scenes, including two personal favorites:

Alice's plan to break Bo out of prison:

Shane sneaking into Victor's house:

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEKLY NEWSPAPER SYNOPSES

WEEK OF OCTOBER 14 - OCTOBER 18, 1985
Abe was devastated when Theo was shot and killed by a rifle that Richard had rigged with a trip-wire. Alice, Shane, and Theo rescued Bo from Richard and later hid Bo in the tunnel beneath Liz's mansion. Larry made Emma sign a pre-nuptial agreement. A woman calling herself Felicity York told Tony that Alex had killed Claus. Brother Francis let Hope cry on his shoulder, but found it hard to resist her womanly charms. Bo rescued Michelle from Richard's clutches. Jennifer's boyfriend Matt tried to persuade her to ask Mike for some money.
WEEK OF OCTOBER 21 - OCTOBER 25, 1985
Tony disappeared after he found out who had murdered Claus. Bo rescued Hope, but not before Richard shot and wounded Brother Francis. Shane witnessed Richard's attempt to escape from Abe, who was forced to shoot and kill Richard. Richard told Abe he got mixed up in selling drugs because he needed money. Kevin hates Abe because he killed Richard. Marlena and Kevin comforted each other over the loss of Richard. Pete and Melissa found the last clue to the mysterious treasure they're looking for. Bo and Hope took over the mysterious treasure hunt from Pete and Melissa. Tod rescued Amy from Patch, who took the photos that Victor has been searching for. Victor told Savannah they're closer to finding the treasure. Liz can't believe that Tod could be a criminal. Savannah told Chris that she was abused as a child. Someone's blackmailing Claus' widow, Tracy.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: NOVEMBER 19, 1985

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Matt, Aug 15 2014, 11:09 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

RIP Theo Carver & Richard Cates. Farewell to Tony DiMera (or whoever he turned out to be lol)

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 15 2014, 11:10 AM
RIP Theo Carver & Richard Cates. Farewell to Tony DiMera (or whoever he turned out to be lol)
Lol. This was actually the last we saw of the real Tony until John, Marlena and Anna got him off that island a few years ago.

As of right now, that is. And he's not Stefano's son. Or is he? :blulaugh:

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Renee Dimera
Aug 15 2014, 01:22 PM
Matt
Aug 15 2014, 11:10 AM
Lol. This was actually the last we saw of the real Tony until John, Marlena and Anna got him off that island a few years ago.

As of right now, that is. And he's not Stefano's son. Or is he? :blulaugh:
His exit story always confuses the hell out of me every time I read about it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF OCTOBER 28 - NOVEMBER 1, 1985
After learning that Kimberly had regained her eyesight, Victor forced her to split with Shane and then go to Victor's Miami estate. While snooping around Victor's estate, Shane fell into an alligator pit. The treasure clues led Hope and Bo to Miami. Liz was shocked to find Tod and Amy have been hiding out in the attic of her mansion. Patch terrorized Hope with a knife, then took all of the treasure clues. Emma turned out to be the mysterious Felicity York who had met with Tony before he disappeared. Anna was indicted on murder charges.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 4 - NOVEMBER 8, 1985
Petrov forced Amy to spy on Victor. Shane, Victor and Petrov are looking for a record book that can lead them to the treasure they're seeking. Kimberly rescued Shane from the alligator pit, then they romped in the sack in her room at Victor's mansion. Patch kidnapped Hope. Mike worried about Jennifer, who was accused of being a pickpocket. Amy kept a hitman from icing Tod. Maggie was reunited with Melissa, who's still not feeling well. Tracy Van Zandt seemingly vanished. Anna began to crack under the strain of Tony's disappearance and her impending murder trial.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 3, 1985

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Aaaaaand we're finally off to Miami! Damn, but this show used to know how to rock some sweeps.

"The purse, the pawn, & the power." Yes, I squeed when I read that. lol

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 11 - NOVEMBER 15, 1985
Bo rescued Hope from Patch, and later they found the record book that leads to the mystery treasure. Chris was shocked to learn that Savannah leads a life of crime. Victor tried to sink Shane's craft during a boat race. Patch and Savannah plotted to kill Bo and Hope at sea. Mike denied Ivy's suspicion that he's the man who has raped several women at the free clinic. Liz was discouraged that she hasn't regained her singing voice yet. Tod is still unaware that Amy is working against him. Petrov desperately wants the record book that Bo and Hope found. Victor suspects that Kimberly is deceiving him. Emma (Felicity) left a videotape incriminating Alex's assistant, Robert Brennan, in Claus' murder. Ivy warned Melissa to stay away from Baby Charlie. Melissa agreed to someday marry Pete.
WEEK OF NOVEMBER 18 - NOVEMBER 22, 1985
Shane rescued Bo and Hope, who were nearly blown up when the treasure chest exploded. Patch was arrested after Bo saved him from drowning. Chris felt betrayed by Savannah, who was arrested for drug dealing. The Miami police also arrested Victor, who hid the record book. Kimberly kept mum to Shane that she'd slept with Victor in order to give Shane time to escape from Victor. Shane's I.S.A. boss, Nickerson, secretly wants the mystery treasure for himself. Petrov also wants the treasure. The real Felicity is upset that Anna is being charged with killing Claus. Claus, who's not really dead, met with his cohort, Emma. Felicity, who's Emma's cousin, threatened to blow the lid off Emma's insurance fraud scam. Jennifer feels alienated by her peers. The clinic rapist secretly stalked Marlena. Melissa and Pete returned home. Tod was arrested on drug charges after he helped Amy elude the cops.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 17, 1985

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 25 - NOVEMBER 29, 1985
Marlena counseled Maggie, who was raped by the clinic rapist. Kimberly was ecstatic to learn that she's pregnant, until she realized that either Shane or Victor could be the child's father. On a tip from Emma, Anna tracked down Claus, but found herself in the midst of murder and mayhem. Abe questioned Mike, who is a suspect in Maggie's rape. Patch escaped but was arrested after he destroyed photos and negatives that Kimberly had taken of a mysterious man at Victor's Miami estate. Victor was released from prison after Larry was arrested for being the mastermind behind Victor's crimes. Victor told Caroline tha the's not a crook. Shane, Victor, Petrov, and Nickerson are looking for someone called "The Pawn."
WEEK OF DECEMBER 2 - DECEMBER 6, 1985
Petrov and Nurse Kate Honeycutt brought "The Pawn" to Salem after forcing him to undergo facial plastic surgery. Savannah was jealous that Chris turned to Marlena after rejecting Savannah's efforts to rekindle their romance. Anna met with Claus, who was later murdered - for real this time. Anna freaked when Tony wrote her from Europe that he's through with her and wants her to sign his divorce papers. Victor blackmailed Alex into helping him snatch "The Pawn" from Petrov. Bo admitted to Hope that he caused Patch to lose his eye when Patch and Bo fought over an ex-girlfriend of Bo's. Calliope and Eugene announced their impending marriage. Caroline learned Kimberly's pregnant. Pete and Ivy agreed to a divorce.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: DECEMBER 31, 1985

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, hello there, "The Pawn." I wonder who you are. *snicker*

Titus Andronicus
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 20 2014, 11:04 AM
Well, hello there, "The Pawn." I wonder who you are. *snicker*
I've wondered if the Pawn was originally supposed to have a different ending.

It's almost like the Robert Poynton Pawn and Drake Hogestyn Pawn were two completely different characters, aside from it being established from the start that he was supposed to have some connection with the Bradys.

The Pawn speaks:

Here, have a clip of Victor interacting with his toy.

Guess Bo and Peachy gave up too soon on the bug. Of course, maybe they didn't and Bo told the others, "Nope, I've never heard that guy before in my life."

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 9 - DECEMBER 13, 1985
Pete searched for Ivy, who split town, taking Charlie with her. Hope visited Larry in prison but he refuted her suspicion that he didn't mastermind Victor's drug deals. Hope made herself a partner in Howie's detective agency. Savannah is involved in Victor's plot to take over the local shipping industry. Anna started running Tony's business empire. Shane and Bo think "The Pawn," who has been brainwashed by Petrov, is really Stefano. Kimberly told Shane that she's pregnant, but didn't admit that she'd slept with Victor as well as with Shane. Marlena counseled Maggie during a rape-crisis seminar. Evan though they shared a night of passion, Chris nixed reconciling with Savannah.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 16 - DECEMBER 20, 1985
Shane was shocked when he was suspended from the I.S.A. Hope begged Howie to help her learn the secrets of Bo's past. Hope worried about Bo, who went on a fact-finding trip to New Mexico. Jennifer was attacked by the hospital rapist. Ivy returned from Haiti after getting a quickie divorce from Pete. Dr. Curry resigned after admitting to Mike he's having a breakdown. Shane was puzzled that Victor knew he'd been axed from the I.S.A. Kimberly accepted Shane's marriage proposal but never had the courage to tell Shane that she's pregnant. Patch capture The Pawn, who had escaped from Victor. kate was fooled by The Pawn, who pretended that he's comatose. Chris sold Shenanigans to Pete and Tod, who's out of jail. Hope investigated a magician who may be a jewel thief. Claus, who managed to elude death once again, was jailed.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 14 , 1986

jwsel
Member Avatar

These weekly summaries are sometimes so messed up. It has Kimberly telling Shane she's pregnant one week and then next has her accepting Shane's marriage proposal without revealing she's pregnant. The SOD has the correct order of events, with Kim telling Shane after the abortive attempt to get the Pawn.

Also, farewell Petrov. There's no mention of Victor killing him in these summaries, but that happened when Victor took the Pawn at the Lafferty farmhouse.
Edited by jwsel, Aug 21 2014, 01:07 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

That's one of the reasons I like to include both sets of recaps. In addition to the newspaper recaps giving an accurate timeline of events (as opposed to the SOD "cover date" timeline), sometimes the weekly recaps give details not present in the SOD recaps and vice versa. Also, those weekly recaps can be a tad bit of a hot mess at times with incorrect information. They actually said that Marie (way off the show at this point) had been raped & not Maggie, but I corrected it in my transcription. In the newspaper recaps' defense, I believe those were written from actually watching the shows as they aired, so impressions of events might change with new information the following week. Perhaps the 1st time Kim told Shane about the baby was a fake out that wasn't realized until later, but the columnist never thought it important to correct it.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 21 2014, 01:39 PM
That's one of the reasons I like to include both sets of recaps. In addition to the newspaper recaps giving an accurate timeline of events (as opposed to the SOD "cover date" timeline), sometimes the weekly recaps give details not present in the SOD recaps and vice versa. Also, those weekly recaps can be a tad bit of a hot mess at times with incorrect information. They actually said that Marie (way off the show at this point) had been raped & not Maggie, but I corrected it in my transcription. In the newspaper recaps' defense, I believe those were written from actually watching the shows as they aired, so impressions of events might change with new information the following week. Perhaps the 1st time Kim told Shane about the baby was a fake out that wasn't realized until later, but the columnist never thought it important to correct it.
The thing is there was no first time Kim told Shane about the baby. She found out she was pregnant and told only Caroline, who urged her to keep the truth secret from Shane. She didn't tell Shane until after they were engaged. (There have been other errors that just are pretty WTF? such as when the weekly summary wrote the Kim and Shane "romped in the sack" after the ice show, even though their first time wasn't until a month later.) And I'm sure there are others; I just notice the Kim and Shane ones more because I've followed their history pretty carefully.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

WEEK OF DECEMBER 23 - DECEMBER 27, 1985
Shane was shocked when Peachy told him he'd been suspended from the I.S.A. because they believe him guilty of espionage. Victor assigned Savannah to find The Pawn. Patch's tauntings elicited a response from The Pawn, who'd been pretending he was catatonic. Shane was thrilled when Kimberly told him he's going to be a father. Kimberly followed Caroline's advice and didn't admit that she's not sure Shane fathered her baby. Hope and Howie searched for clues to the hostility between Bo and Patch. Bo arrived back from New Mexico in time for the family Christmas celebration. Ivy was surprised when Victor gave her a mink coat for Christmas. Melissa received an engagement ring from Pete. Chris was unable to ignore his feelings for Savannah. Anna misses Tony terribly. Mickey wants to remarry Maggie.
WEEK OF DECEMBER 30, 1985 - JANUARY 3, 1986
Victor saved Shawn from death when a boat exploded on the waterfront. Bo is convinced Victor somehow caused the explosion. Shane and Kimberly celebrated the new year and their expected child. Bo and Shane concocted a plan to break into the I.S.A. office to get a peek at Shane's supposed espionage records. Eugene and Calliope were married in an elaborate outdoor ceremony in the park. The Pawn roamed the streets of Salem after walking out of Patch's pad. Ian returned and told Melissa that he divorced his wife. Alex married Emma. Jennifer's hospitalized friend, Kristie, was attacked by the hospital rapist. Ivy still has feelings for Pete. Pete was jealous to see Ian with Melissa. Even though the evidence points to him, Mike insisted that he's not the hospital rapist. Savannah fumed over Chris and Marlena's New Year's Eve kiss.

SOD SYNOPSIS
COVER DATE: JANUARY 28, 1986

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Congratulations to newlyweds Eugene & Calliope Bradford (oh, and you, too, Alex & Emma)

jwsel
Member Avatar

Matt
Aug 22 2014, 10:58 AM
Congratulations to newlyweds Eugene & Calliope Bradford (oh, and you, too, Alex & Emma)

I'll try to post the clip later, but Alex and Emma's wedding is such a classic scene. When all the guests realize they have been duped and walk out en masse is hysterical, but the punctuation is Victor's snarky look before he leaves also. It is so sad to remember that this show has not just lost romance, angst, and character development, but it also could do comedy well?

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 1 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply