Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
General Hospital Soars to Near 6-Year High in Total Viewers and Over 2-Year High in Women 18-49 and Women 25-54
Topic Started: Dec 6 2013, 03:32 PM (1,538 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

lysie
Dec 9 2013, 01:59 PM
six
Dec 9 2013, 01:45 PM
lysie
Dec 9 2013, 11:53 AM
Nate
Dec 9 2013, 11:48 AM
GH is not way better then DAYS. It's not even close IMO.
IDK how regular viewers feel about GH because I'm not one. But I had to make myself not watch it last week. It's doing the kind of family stuff I love, and even as a non-regular viewer, I sobbed through half of Monday and Tuesday. It's doing the kinds of things I used to love on Days. Even when the stories themselves sucked, they'd throw in family scenes and reunions that I loved. It's actually a little depressing, though, because as I've watched it on GH, I've kind of realized that will never work on Days again. The families have been too disconnected for too long and IMO none of the families on Days are connected enough to really make scenes like that work anymore. It may not be working for GH either for people who have a longer history of the show, though. IDK.
You came in on a good week. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy GH and think it deserves the ratings, but it's often like two (or three) different shows. And like Days, their best weeks aren't a sign of overall quality. They have a large cast and some of the characters and stories are really hitting the mark and some...are not. And since the cast is so large and most of them are in stories, some stories disappear for weeks at a time. Which can be good for the show, or bad for the show [/Camila Banus]
Oh, I know I did. But Days hasn't been able to make me feel like that on even a good week in at least 8 years.
That truly speaks volumes!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar

Nate
Dec 9 2013, 01:25 PM
Mitchapalooza
Dec 9 2013, 12:33 PM
lysie
Nate
IDK how regular viewers feel about GH because I'm not one. But I had to make myself not watch it last week. It's doing the kind of family stuff I love, and even as a non-regular viewer, I sobbed through half of Monday and Tuesday. It's doing the kinds of things I used to love on Days. Even when the stories themselves sucked, they'd throw in family scenes and reunions that I loved. It's actually a little depressing, though, because as I've watched it on GH, I've kind of realized that will never work on Days again. The families have been too disconnected for too long and IMO none of the families on Days are connected enough to really make scenes like that work anymore. It may not be working for GH either for people who have a longer history of the show, though. IDK.
I have to agree - I am a very lapsed viewer of GH, and I couldn't pull myself from the TV on Mon/Tue/Wed...I was instantly connected to what was happening and that has not happened in a long time for me while channel surfing other soaps outside of DAYS.

I agree on the family aspect as well...DAYS has deconstructed their families in a major way...DAYS feels like a bunch of disconnected character reacting to each other. There is no core anymore and what is left of the Brady's & Horton's & DiMera's & Kiriakisis' just feels disjointed, fake and forced.

I will admit I was very sad for DAYS while watching the GH episodes, because those episodes were fulfilling for me what I GREATLY am missing from my own soap.
I'm a lot harder on GH because it's "my soap". Although I've been watching DAYS for awhile, GH is the soap I grew up with and therefore I am harder on the soap. I think everyone's harder on "their" soap.
so true.....Im so much harder on GH and care about it more than days. IMO GH is the better soap overall.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
six
lysie
Nate
You came in on a good week. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy GH and think it deserves the ratings, but it's often like two (or three) different shows. And like Days, their best weeks aren't a sign of overall quality. They have a large cast and some of the characters and stories are really hitting the mark and some...are not. And since the cast is so large and most of them are in stories, some stories disappear for weeks at a time. Which can be good for the show, or bad for the show [/Camila Banus]
Oh, I know I did. But Days hasn't been able to make me feel like that on even a good week in at least 8 years.
Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that it's not always that well written.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 9 2013, 02:05 PM
lysie
six
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that it's not always that well written.
I'm sure. And when Days used to do that kind of stuff I loved, it wasn't either. But it was enough to keep me watching even if it only happened once every few months.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Lumi is Light, Lumi is Love ♥

The one great thing I love about GH is that it seems to start the buildup to the climax of a story months out....(i.e., Robin being alive) and then the fallout continues for months after sweeps.....it all does a good job at weaving different stories (which Days is now doing better, but they still lack at most of it)...for example...see last week on GH...it was the week after sweeps, the week after the big Scrubs reunion and we also got a nice scene were Maxie was about to commit suicide, she got an appearance of her dead sister's Georgie's ghost and then the one that stopped her from doing it was actually Robin who Maxie thought was actually dead. It was a nice way to get Robin to do more than just stop the wedding and reunite with her family....

IDK I just think this show hasn't had the type of emotional reveal that GH has had the last couple of months.....I also like the way they build up their couples....I'm loving Britt and Nik....it's refreshing to see a couple genuinely falling in love and given a slow burn ...in that regard the only couple on Days that can even come close is Ericole...GH is just a much better soap...and I agree with someone up thread that said that if you don't like a story you know that there is something else you'll like. I also think it helps GH that they don't have a film to air tape schedule of 4 months....there is absolutely no way for Days to react if they have a bad story or two than to dust off Corday and have him to another 'my plan to save Days-SOD exclusive'....with GH there is

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

lysie
Nate
I think with the right executive producer and head writer Days could have this again. This is just my opinion but when Cartini took over at GH it was teetering on the brink of cancellation. Part of this was due to the heavy emphasis on the mob stuff in the 2000's and the way core legacy families like the Quartermaines and Scorpios at 2011 were shells of their former selves. Then as Tony Geary said in an interview awhile back, Frank and Ron came in and wrote for those core families and "saved our bacon." We got AJ back from the dead which gave Monica Q airtime, Anna Devane as Police Commissioner, and some old school villains like Cesar Faison. And while beloved vets like Anna and Duke are back, Sonny is still a very relevant character but both he and Luke Spencer are being written MUCH better. Especially Luke.

It's weird but as much as I love GH under Cartini there's still stuff that they have done that has annoyed the hell out of me. The Franco recast springs to mind but I blame that more on the Prospect Park mess than anything else. And others but I think one poster on the board put it best and I can't remember who said this but in essence when Frank and Ron are bad, they can be awful. But when they're good they make up for every bad thing they have done.

Also and again this is entirely my own opinion but in my view Frank and Ron are more receptive to audience feedback and give their fans more of what they want than Tomsell at Days. But that's just my own perception.

lysie
Member Avatar

JarlenaLante
Dec 9 2013, 04:52 PM
lysie
Nate
I think with the right executive producer and head writer Days could have this again. This is just my opinion but when Cartini took over at GH it was teetering on the brink of cancellation. Part of this was due to the heavy emphasis on the mob stuff in the 2000's and the way core legacy families like the Quartermaines and Scorpios at 2011 were shells of their former selves. Then as Tony Geary said in an interview awhile back, Frank and Ron came in and wrote for those core families and "saved our bacon." We got AJ back from the dead which gave Monica Q airtime, Anna Devane as Police Commissioner, and some old school villains like Cesar Faison. And while beloved vets like Anna and Duke are back, Sonny is still a very relevant character but both he and Luke Spencer are being written MUCH better. Especially Luke.

It's weird but as much as I love GH under Cartini there's still stuff that they have done that has annoyed the hell out of me. The Franco recast springs to mind but I blame that more on the Prospect Park mess than anything else. And others but I think one poster on the board put it best and I can't remember who said this but in essence when Frank and Ron are bad, they can be awful. But when they're good they make up for every bad thing they have done.

Also and again this is entirely my own opinion but in my view Frank and Ron are more receptive to audience feedback and give their fans more of what they want than Tomsell at Days. But that's just my own perception.
Maybe. IDK. I just look at characters like Sami who have been on the show for as long as they have. And if Sami died and came back to life, I can't imagine AT ALL her having any kind of meaningful reunions. And I'm sure she'd have some superficial ones with immediate family, but outside of that? And she's been on the show 20 years. And it's not just Sami I can't see it with. She's just the one who has been around the longest without having any kind of separation/reunion story like that. I can't really see it with anyone on Days anymore. John sort of got stuff like that in 2008, but nowhere nearly as emotional (of course he'd only been gone about 12 weeks, lol).

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

What are the other soaps film-to-air?

Isn't Y&R like 2 weeks out or something?

I assume all of them are under 1 month...crazy that DAYS is almost 5 months out!

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

Mitchapalooza
Dec 9 2013, 05:38 PM
What are the other soaps film-to-air?

Isn't Y&R like 2 weeks out or something?

I assume all of them are under 1 month...crazy that DAYS is almost 5 months out!
B&B is 4-5 weeks and GH is 3.

daysmemories
Member Avatar

Congrats to GH. They deserve it. I predict it will only get better. I cant speak for Days as thats the only other soap ive ever watched. I havent gave a damn what happened since the show went Lock, Stock , to the bottom of the Barrel.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 9 2013, 04:56 PM
JarlenaLante
Dec 9 2013, 04:52 PM
lysie
Nate

Maybe. IDK. I just look at characters like Sami who have been on the show for as long as they have. And if Sami died and came back to life, I can't imagine AT ALL her having any kind of meaningful reunions. And I'm sure she'd have some superficial ones with immediate family, but outside of that? And she's been on the show 20 years. And it's not just Sami I can't see it with. She's just the one who has been around the longest without having any kind of separation/reunion story like that. I can't really see it with anyone on Days anymore. John sort of got stuff like that in 2008, but nowhere nearly as emotional (of course he'd only been gone about 12 weeks, lol).
I think there's at least 2 reasons for this.

One, Days has really shot themselves in the foot by not developing careers for their characters and showing workplace interactions. They haven't really done this since the Serial Killer/Melaswen saga took over the show. And workplace interactions are great ways to further develop character relationships. Maxie and Lulu didn't like each other at all until they started working together at Crimson; we got to see Dante and Lucky working together at the PCPD and a genuine respect grew between them to the point where Lucky took Dante's side in his fights with Lulu; we saw Robin working at GH with Epiphany and Elizabeth. Also we got to see Anna and Dante working well together at the PCPD so it was believable that Anna would tell Dante's parents when he went missing that she would hate to lose a friend and officer like him. And outside careers and skills add to story line potential as in the case of Robin. Before her "death" we saw her on more than one occasion develop drug protocols to cure seriously ill patients, so it's not a stretch at all to think that Jerry would want her to work on curing his pulonium 210 poisoning.

Reason #2 is the lack of any core members of the Last Blast gang on Days. Especially Shawn and Belle. An important generational connection is missing due to their absence. Belle and Brady were very close growing up yet EM's Brady has yet to have any onscreen interactions with his "Tink." This is perhaps why the sibling interactions of Brady, Sami and Eric seem a bit off to some because Brady should be having those sibling bonds with Belle and Philip (when that group was SORASed I always felt that Philip's best friend should have been Brady, not Shawn-D).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply