Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, December 12th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 12 2013, 02:19 AM (11,087 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Discuss!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daysjahvu
Member Avatar

Ok, I'll dive in...big hair, shoulder pads, windblown look...I'm going for late '80s to early '90s Dynasty era. I missed that part of DOOL...I was young, working and didn't have a programmable VCR.

I wonder if they've saved any of the costumes for the iconic characters? Julie has worn quite a few fashion trends and it would be great fun to see a collection on display or in a book somewhere.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I actually remember that picture. It was in Soap Opera Weekly, I believe. I find it interesting in an age comparison that SSH was the same age Kristian Alfonso is now when she was written off the show in 1993 (actually, she was a few months younger). When she and Bill left the show in 1984 after being told they wouldn't be getting any more storylines, essentially because they were "too old". She was only 41. I just finished reading an article in SOD about "missing in action" beloved veteran DAYS actors who were "above a certain age" that had either left the show or been let go due to an apparent network edict that the show not give any real storylines to anyone over 30. That article came out in 1985 and actors mentioned included Suzanne Rogers (Maggie, who wasn't on the show at the time), Bill & Susan Seaforth Hayes (Doug & Julie), Lanna Saunders (Marie), and Jed Allen (Don). At the time, Susan was 42, Bill was 60, Lanna Saunders was 44, Jed Allan was 48, and Suzanne Rogers was 42. That's a far cry different from today when pretty the ONLY people with storylines are 30+ and, evenmoreso, 40+ with only a fraction of the stories going to 20somethings.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Sooo... some thoughts on today.

JJ is turning orange in solidarity with the Daniel-God.

Abigail looks beautiful, but she's a smug little biddy about Bev.

Nicole's hair looks beautiful.

Will is still stuck on the surprise party thing. Chandler and Freddie both seem about to crack up through their dialogue. But it actually makes the expository scene more interesting.

Oh, there's a Abigail, Maggie scene...no Daniel worship yet...but I'm waiting.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Oh, Snap! JJ just deleted the video off Theresa's phone! I hope that's not a fake out and she has it backed up some where.

Theresa's sweater is a pretty color.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Will just accused T of having a crush on Gabi. I like it! More T is fine with me.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Oh, Sonny's pulling a Three's Company-esque plan to find out about the surprise party. And he's going to find out what the Hocus Pocus three did with Nick.

He's literally hiding in a closet to overhear their "surprise party" plan. I hope there's a line of dialogue about this being the first time in a long time he's been hiding in a closet.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Ah yes, Theresa has backups. Of course she does. This is the first day I feel like her scheming villainy doesn't feel forced. JL is playing like Theresa is enjoying it - and so I'm enjoying it.

KAM

Honeybees
Dec 12 2013, 12:26 PM
Oh, Sonny's pulling a Three's Company-esque plan to find out about the surprise party. And he's going to find out what the Hocus Pocus three did with Nick.

He's literally hiding in a closet to overhear their "surprise party" plan. I hope there's a line of dialogue about this being the first time in a long time he's been hiding in a closet.
I wish they'd spot him and someone would say: "Come on out of that closet, Sonny."

jam6242
Member Avatar

Matt
Dec 12 2013, 12:09 PM
I actually remember that picture. It was in Soap Opera Weekly, I believe. I find it interesting in an age comparison that SSH was the same age Kristian Alfonso is now when she was written off the show in 1993 (actually, she was a few months younger). When she and Bill left the show in 1984 after being told they wouldn't be getting any more storylines, essentially because they were "too old". She was only 41. I just finished reading an article in SOD about "missing in action" beloved veteran DAYS actors who were "above a certain age" that had either left the show or been let go due to an apparent network edict that the show not give any real storylines to anyone over 30. That article came out in 1985 and actors mentioned included Suzanne Rogers (Maggie, who wasn't on the show at the time), Bill & Susan Seaforth Hayes (Doug & Julie), Lanna Saunders (Marie), and Jed Allen (Don). At the time, Susan was 42, Bill was 60, Lanna Saunders was 44, Jed Allan was 48, and Suzanne Rogers was 42. That's a far cry different from today when pretty the ONLY people with storylines are 30+ and, evenmoreso, 40+ with only a fraction of the stories going to 20somethings.
I've suspected that Brian Frons was responsible for that 80s edict. Those departures occurred shortly after he came to NBC daytime. Poor Susan talked in her book about being made to feel old twice. I think after the second firing she said she got an eye job and the Star tabloid snapped a picture of her in her garden looking pretty rough from the surgery and printed a story saying she was washed up!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Yes! They did the closet joke that was obligatory. I won't tell you how they do it, but it's really clever and you should watch. They did something kind of obvious but creative. +1

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Today's line-up includes:
Will/Sonny
Adrienne
Sami/Kate/Gabi
Nicole/Brady
Eric/Dan
Theresa/JJ/Abby/Maggie

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Is anyone else bothered by SC's Daniel delivery. It's like ...he puts short pauses...through all the dialogue...to add artificial...gravitas. And it's super annoying.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Adrienne is on, and she looks beautiful although her sweater is kind of weird.

blueskies
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Dec 12 2013, 12:42 PM
Is anyone else bothered by SC's Daniel delivery. It's like ...he puts short pauses...through all the dialogue...to add artificial...gravitas. And it's super annoying.
yes! omg more than anything this is what bothers me about his performance.

fundays13
Member Avatar

blueskies
Dec 12 2013, 12:46 PM
Honeybees
Dec 12 2013, 12:42 PM
yes! omg more than anything this is what bothers me about his performance.
This is weird becuz it's not how he talks in real life. Not good acting choices

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Bombshell ... Sonny just found out the truth. And Freddie plays it really well...he thinks he's going to overhear surprise party plans and he doesn't over play it - like he doesn't quite get what he just heard. It's very in character.

I'm so here tomorrow!

The whole business with the closet is good, and it makes use of Sonny's good-hearted personality and uses the whole "we're having two different conversations" thing.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Gabi flashes back to whacking Nick with a rock. EVERYBODY DRINK!

Team WilSon
Member Avatar
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

Usually I don't like that they overuse flashbacks but these Kate/Sami/ Gabi/ Nick flashbacks are good! :P

fundays13
Member Avatar

Kate,they aren't worth it. Find a real man

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply