Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday, December 13th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 13 2013, 12:29 AM (10,658 Views)
KAM

Pookie
Dec 13 2013, 04:08 PM
Reese
Dec 13 2013, 04:07 PM
Pookie
Dec 13 2013, 04:01 PM
Can someone explain this "test" Daniel is running on Eric? What's it doing beside making him hot and sweaty?
The procedure is supposed to cause Eric great pain because the chemicals are going deep into his body (I don't know what organs or bone marrow or what exactly. lol) to access and expose the drug Dr. Chyka used.

Daniel said the half life of the drug was a long one and still in Eric's body.
Is ANY of this based in real life science? Or are we just supposed to role with this bullshit?
Yes, actually --even though it sounds so 'out there' when Daniel explains it -- DOOL does seem to be doing a fairly decent job of tracking a real medical procedure called chelation therapy. This procedure has been around for decades. I think -- not sure -- it was first developed after WWI for gas poisoning. Anyway chelation is frequently used today with great success to treat heavy metal poisoning after exposure to toxins such as lead, mercury, arsenic, etc. The body cannot successfully excrete such heavy toxins, which have incredibly long 'half lives' and lodge in organs and bones to cause damage years later.

Chelation works by injection of different organic compounds through heated drip therapy. The compounds find and bond with the toxins and pull them from the bones and organs into the blood stream, where the toxins are broken apart and can then finally be excreted from the body. Chelation therapy can be quite painful and can cause high fevers during and after treatment. In addition to its traditional use in heavy metal poisoning, chelation has also been tried recently in other more risky procedures for other diseases.

I don't know much about that, but I know a good bit about the chelation therapy because one of my cousins had to undergo the treatments for months to save her life. She and her husband are artist/photographers who have lived in the Colorado mountains for many years. When they were in their twenties, they participated in summer art workshops held at an old Victorian mansion which used well water. They loved being in the mountains so much that they lived there year round as caretakers for several years, before they moved on to other pursuits. Literally decades later, they were both diagnosed with heavy metal poisoning, ultimately alleviated by chelation therapy. It was a very hard time. My cousin had some horrible problems with multiple organs. Unfortunately, such long term poisoning by well water is not uncommon in Colorado.

So I'm OK with DOOL on this part of the story. It's not exactly medically correct but a good effort -- close enough for soap stuff. And it brought sweaty, shirtless Eric together with Nicole in a fever delirium. Can't complain about that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PALMommy
Member Avatar

Kaha
Dec 13 2013, 04:49 PM
Okay, the depiction of drug use is really bugging me. I can roll with all the other bullshit but drug addiction is a complex illness with devastating consequences, and they should not use it as a plot point without addressing it's real impact. The least they could've done is offer JT (who overdosed for god's sake) counseling—individual or group—and maybe a behavioral therapy with Marlena instead of suggesting AA (which is one form of treatment for people with alcohol addiction). You know they keep talking about AA so that they can insert Maggie and her rejection of Theresa. The woman oded and was brought to the hospital and no one thought she should be assigned a social worker from the hospital. WTF Days!
Well, I'd think the hospital could reinstate her in her job IF she agreed to random drug screening, but since Anne's in charge. . . :glare:

Keith
Member Avatar

KAM
Dec 13 2013, 05:22 PM
Pookie
Reese
Pookie
Can someone explain this "test" Daniel is running on Eric? What's it doing beside making him hot and sweaty?
The procedure is supposed to cause Eric great pain because the chemicals are going deep into his body (I don't know what organs or bone marrow or what exactly. lol) to access and expose the drug Dr. Chyka used.

Is ANY of this based in real life science? Or are we just supposed to role with this bullshit?
Yes, actually --even though it sounds so 'out there' when Daniel explains it -- DOOL does seem to be doing a fairly decent job of tracking a real medical procedure called chelation therapy. This procedure has been around for decades. I think -- not sure -- it was first developed after WWI for gas poisoning. Anyway chelation is frequently used today with great success to treat heavy metal poisoning after exposure to toxins such as lead, mercury, arsenic, etc. The body cannot successfully excrete such heavy toxins, which have incredibly long 'half lives' and lodge in organs and bones to cause damage years later.

Chelation works by injection of different organic compounds through heated drip therapy. The compounds find and bond with the toxins and pull them from the bones and organs into the blood stream, where the toxins are broken apart and can then finally be excreted from the body. Chelation therapy can be quite painful and can cause high fevers during and after treatment. In addition to its traditional use in heavy metal poisoning, chelation has also been tried recently in other more risky procedures for other diseases.

I don't know much about that, but I know a good bit about the chelation therapy because one of my cousins had to undergo the treatments for months to save her life. She and her husband are artist/photographers who have lived in the Colorado mountains for many years. When they were in their twenties, they participated in summer art workshops held at an old Victorian mansion which used well water. They loved being in the mountains so much that they lived there year round as caretakers for several years, before they moved on to other pursuits. Literally decades later, they were both diagnosed with heavy metal poisoning, ultimately alleviated by chelation therapy. It was a very hard time. My cousin had some horrible problems with multiple organs. Unfortunately, such long term poisoning by well water is not uncommon in Colorado.

So I'm OK with DOOL on this part of the story. It's not exactly medically correct but a good effort -- close enough for soap stuff. And it brought sweaty, shirtless Eric together with Nicole in a fever delirium. Can't complain about that.
I thought I was the only who considered the concept medically sound. There are things that remain the body much longer than you'd expect and we have no idea what Kristen was putting into Eric.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Kaha
Dec 13 2013, 05:15 PM
Matt
Dec 13 2013, 01:16 PM
BWAHAHAH "Open up! Police!" Sonny in the closet exaggeratedly mouths: "Oh. My. God." BWAHAHA
Gif making Goddesses/Gods, can I have a gif of this? Pretty please!
It's already been posted in the GIF thread.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kaha
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Dec 13 2013, 05:40 PM
Kaha
Dec 13 2013, 05:15 PM
Matt
Dec 13 2013, 01:16 PM
BWAHAHAH "Open up! Police!" Sonny in the closet exaggeratedly mouths: "Oh. My. God." BWAHAHA
Gif making Goddesses/Gods, can I have a gif of this? Pretty please!
It's already been posted in the GIF thread.
Wonderful! Thanks!

Romancer66

KAM
Dec 13 2013, 03:08 PM
concerned
Dec 13 2013, 02:36 PM
Looks like we've found our Fetch fans.

Thinking that Tomsell are doing a good job over all as a HW team is NOT the same as being a Fetch fan. Please adjust your head count and count me out on that.

It's precisely because I can see that the Tomsell combo can pool their experience and come up with good story arcs suitable for DOOL that my frustration with the show's Fetch infatuation has grown exponentially in recent weeks. It's almost unbearable at times to see the wasted airtime when the show is otherwise so much better. Dannifer is a hold over from Higley, and I suspect it is not Tomsell who keep insisting that DOOL must make Fetch happen.
I'm inclined to attribute any significant improvement to Lorraine Broderick and the daily writers rather than TomSell. Because I still see the same overarching problems as before: paper-thin characterization that changes on a dime or the HW's whim, dependence on cretinous stupidity to drive plots, and overuse of expository dialogue and recent flashbacks to drag things out in the months between sweeps periods. And overuse of a select handful of characters, and neglect of others. Some individual stories are decent--the fallout from Kristengate, for example, and now the sort-of murder mystery with Nick--but others are just treading water and getting more tiresome by the episode, which isn't helped by the ridiculous taping schedule. I'm not excited by the newbies coming on board, either. I'd rather see some of the more popular recurring characters get contracts or some beloved vets return. Holy Terror Theresa should have her parents back in town long-term, and they should be focused on her as a troubled daughter, not as a Fetch interloper.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

KAM
Pookie
Reese
Pookie

Doesn't chelation require you to know what toxin it is you're trying to remove from the body? From what I remember, Dan has no clue what the masking agent used was. All he knows it that it apparently has a long half-life. (Not sure how he can be sure of its half-life if he doesn't know what it is.) Also, how can he be sure that the original drug has an equally long half-life? Couldn't the masking agent have a longer half-life than the drugging agent?
The other difference is that heavy metal poisoning is commonly the result of extended exposure to lead, mercury, etc., not just a single dose of it.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

am103
Dec 13 2013, 03:44 PM
I LOVE that every time Adrienne brings herself to open up to Will and try to build a relationship for Sonny's sake, Will's family gives her a big reason to change her mind. I can't wait for Adrienne to find out!
I wish this would lead to Adrienne realizing that Will is not Sami, and he's actually been a pretty decent boyfriend to Sonny by Salem standards.

Beyond knocking Gabi up and keeping the secret, Will's basically been a loyal if insecure boyfriend who genuinely loves Sonny. He didn't kill Bernardi or attack Bernardi and he has nothing to do with the murder of Nick. Sure, he has a troubled background in that he shot EJ when he was very young, but Adrienne is a Johnson who married a Kiriakas and should have a little compassion for people who have turned their lives around. I think JE plays that into her scenes with Will, and today she really did seem to be reaching out to Will.

I did like the genuine drama that resulted from Will knowing his Mom is a screw up but still being hurt that Adrienne came forward with the video.

KAM

Supergirlx2
Dec 13 2013, 05:50 PM
KAM
Pookie
Reese

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Doesn't chelation require you to know what toxin it is you're trying to remove from the body? From what I remember, Dan has no clue what the masking agent used was. All he knows it that it apparently has a long half-life. (Not sure how he can be sure of its half-life if he doesn't know what it is.) Also, how can he be sure that the original drug has an equally long half-life? Couldn't the masking agent have a longer half-life than the drugging agent?
The other difference is that heavy metal poisoning is commonly the result of extended exposure to lead, mercury, etc., not just a single dose of it.
Well, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.... :D But, no, I do not believe that chelation therapy requires prior knowledge of the specific toxin to be successful. I say that for two reasons. First, my cousin, after the chelation was started, was found to have poisoning from multiple metals, more than first diagnosed. Second, the injected organic compounds find and bind with multiple minerals, even beneficial ones, so the drip also contains supplements for such minerals so the body will not be depleted by the treatments. Once chelation starts, blood tests continue to be taken to see which toxins are coming into the bloodstream from the bones/organs and kidney function is constantly monitored to make sure the toxins are broken apart for excretion to take place properly.

As for Daniel's explanations about the masking agent, this is my recollection: He did find traces in Eric's blood of an unusual but nontoxic chemical that he believes must have been used as a masking agent to hide the presence of an unknown toxin that he cannot identify. He knows the masking agent has a long half life because he can still see its presence, but its presence alone is not sufficient proof of poisoning. Since Eric's poisoning, Daniel has read in medical journals about new uses for an existing therapy, that leads him to believe he can pull use different compounds to pull more of the masking agent into the bloodstream and separate it from the toxin so that the toxin itself can be seen. He classified the procedure as experimental, painful, and somewhat risky and didn't guarantee its success. So the masked toxin might not have a long half life, but since it has been chemically bonded to a substance that does, perhaps it can be still be seen when separated. I'm sort of guessing it will. LOL

Because of my cousin's horrible health problems, I am well aware that her heavy metal poisoning came from extended exposure to that seemingly crystal clear well water in those beautiful mountains. But, as I mentioned in passing, there are numerous attempts today to expand the use of chelation therapy to many other experimental uses. So, IMO, it is not completely absurd for DOOL to offer up a somewhat similar treatment as part of this story line. I'm not going to hold DOOL to the TV standards of a medical procedural drama. It's close enough for soap stuff for me -- actually much closer than most medical soap stuff. So...I'm good with it...and just waiting for the next installment.

daysjahvu
Member Avatar

KAM
Dec 13 2013, 06:45 PM
Supergirlx2
Dec 13 2013, 05:50 PM
KAM
Pookie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

Well, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.... :D But, no, I do not believe that chelation therapy requires prior knowledge of the specific toxin to be successful. I say that for two reasons. First, my cousin, after the chelation was started, was found to have poisoning from multiple metals, more than first diagnosed. Second, the injected organic compounds find and bind with multiple minerals, even beneficial ones, so the drip also contains supplements for such minerals so the body will not be depleted by the treatments. Once chelation starts, blood tests continue to be taken to see which toxins are coming into the bloodstream from the bones/organs and kidney function is constantly monitored to make sure the toxins are broken apart for excretion to take place properly.

As for Daniel's explanations about the masking agent, this is my recollection: He did find traces in Eric's blood of an unusual but nontoxic chemical that he believes must have been used as a masking agent to hide the presence of an unknown toxin that he cannot identify. He knows the masking agent has a long half life because he can still see its presence, but its presence alone is not sufficient proof of poisoning. Since Eric's poisoning, Daniel has read in medical journals about new uses for an existing therapy, that leads him to believe he can pull use different compounds to pull more of the masking agent into the bloodstream and separate it from the toxin so that the toxin itself can be seen. He classified the procedure as experimental, painful, and somewhat risky and didn't guarantee its success. So the masked toxin might not have a long half life, but since it has been chemically bonded to a substance that does, perhaps it can be still be seen when separated. I'm sort of guessing it will. LOL

Because of my cousin's horrible health problems, I am well aware that her heavy metal poisoning came from extended exposure to that seemingly crystal clear well water in those beautiful mountains. But, as I mentioned in passing, there are numerous attempts today to expand the use of chelation therapy to many other experimental uses. So, IMO, it is not completely absurd for DOOL to offer up a somewhat similar treatment as part of this story line. I'm not going to hold DOOL to the TV standards of a medical procedural drama. It's close enough for soap stuff for me -- actually much closer than most medical soap stuff. So...I'm good with it...and just waiting for the next installment.
Thanks for all the info...I'm in CO too, but in the burbs with city water. I'll have to watch the well water when we retire & move to the mtns.

Considering they weren't even consistent with Chad's wounds during the shooting, I'm surprised they actually have some medical research to back this up. I personally had a reaction to an IV antibiotic and I was flushed & sweaty within minutes, so I know that can happen.

Pookie
Member Avatar

KAM
Pookie
Reese
Pookie

WOW! Thanks for the detailed explanation!!
Edited by Pookie, Dec 13 2013, 07:16 PM.

AFaithL

Ok, I'm still finding druggie Brady sexy....

Someone help me!

countess_cutlass
Member Avatar

:puke: @ Daniel giving Nicole those sexy time looks.

LOL, re: Brady. Love the irony of him musing about JJ's troubles during his coke snorting binge. It's too bad Jen will most likely be too much of a self-absorbed moron to be able to see that Brady needs help.

As for the murderous trio... Damn, Sami and Kate are being so heavy-handed with Gabi! I know it's totally in character for them to be so relentless and obvious in their manipulations, but the whole Gabi thing needs a deft and subtle touch. I'm not complaining about the awesome Sonny reactions, though. So immensely entertaining.

jwsel
Member Avatar

Kaha
Okay, the depiction of drug use is really bugging me. I can roll with all the other bullshit but drug addiction is a complex illness with devastating consequences, and they should not use it as a plot point without addressing it's real impact. The least they could've done is offer JT (who overdosed for god's sake) counseling—individual or group—and maybe a behavioral therapy with Marlena instead of suggesting AA (which is one form of treatment for people with alcohol addiction). You know they keep talking about AA so that they can insert Maggie and her rejection of Theresa. The woman oded and was brought to the hospital and no one thought she should be assigned a social worker from the hospital. WTF Days!
It goes so far beyond this in terms of WTFery. Theresa is on parole in California with conditions. For a habitual offender with drug issues, the Superior Courts out here would absolutely have made not only rehab a condition of parole, but would have required regular follow-up visits with a drug counselor and regular drug screenings, with scheduled reports to the court on her progress. So she should have been in a program well before the OD.

As for sending her to AA, you absolutely are right that it's a plot-driven way to put her in Maggie's and Brady's orbit. And it's infuriating because it makes Shane and Kim look incompetent and uncaring, and ignores the obvious person they would have turned to -- Marlena.

Kaha
Member Avatar

jwsel
Dec 13 2013, 09:41 PM
Kaha
It goes so far beyond this in terms of WTFery. Theresa is on parole in California with conditions. For a habitual offender with drug issues, the Superior Courts out here would absolutely have made not only rehab a condition of parole, but would have required regular follow-up visits with a drug counselor and regular drug screenings, with scheduled reports to the court on her progress. So she should have been in a program well before the OD.

As for sending her to AA, you absolutely are right that it's a plot-driven way to put her in Maggie's and Brady's orbit. And it's infuriating because it makes Shane and Kim look incompetent and uncaring, and ignores the obvious person they would have turned to -- Marlena.
The same goes for JJ. His whole defense was that he was a screwed up kid who was traumatized by family problems, so why wasn't there a court mandated counselling? Hate to be a broken record but Marlena could've had killer scenes with tormented JJ.

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

Honeybees
Dec 13 2013, 05:56 PM
am103
Dec 13 2013, 03:44 PM
I LOVE that every time Adrienne brings herself to open up to Will and try to build a relationship for Sonny's sake, Will's family gives her a big reason to change her mind. I can't wait for Adrienne to find out!
I wish this would lead to Adrienne realizing that Will is not Sami, and he's actually been a pretty decent boyfriend to Sonny by Salem standards.

Beyond knocking Gabi up and keeping the secret, Will's basically been a loyal if insecure boyfriend who genuinely loves Sonny. He didn't kill Bernardi or attack Bernardi and he has nothing to do with the murder of Nick. Sure, he has a troubled background in that he shot EJ when he was very young, but Adrienne is a Johnson who married a Kiriakas and should have a little compassion for people who have turned their lives around. I think JE plays that into her scenes with Will, and today she really did seem to be reaching out to Will.

I did like the genuine drama that resulted from Will knowing his Mom is a screw up but still being hurt that Adrienne came forward with the video.
Great post.

AFaithL

Ok, was it just me or was Sami insinuating today to Gabi that Marlena and Sami's relationship being strained was....Marlena's fault? Like Marlena purposely left Sami to fend for herself and was in-and-out of Sami's life by choice? And she didn't want that happening to Gabi/Arianna? Um, no Sami. Marlena never abandoned you on purpose. She was kidnapped by Stefano for 4 years.

lysie
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Dec 13 2013, 11:45 PM
Ok, was it just me or was Sami insinuating today to Gabi that Marlena and Sami's relationship being strained was....Marlena's fault? Like Marlena purposely left Sami to fend for herself and was in-and-out of Sami's life by choice? And she didn't want that happening to Gabi/Arianna? Um, no Sami. Marlena never abandoned you on purpose. She was kidnapped by Stefano for 4 years.
I didn't watch, but I don't know why you'd find this surprising. She's been insinuating this since 1993.

AFaithL

lysie
Dec 13 2013, 11:51 PM
AFaithL
I didn't watch, but I don't know why you'd find this surprising. She's been insinuating this since 1993.
Yeah, but the way it was written was like we were supposed to believe that Sami was telling the truth instead of being irrational like she was back in the 90s. Um, no Sami. You were dead wrong in then, and you are dead wrong now...

Keith
Member Avatar

AFaithL
That's not what I got out of it. I got that, while the situations were different, child was without mother and the child never recovered. I rarely go to bat for Sami, especially in her anti-Marlena moments, but this didn't seem like one of them to me. It would have been nice if Sami had made the distinction of, hey, my mom ha dno choice, and you have a choice. Don't make the wrong one. Which would have been so Sami.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply