Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC Weekly Preview 12/16/13
Topic Started: Dec 13 2013, 10:52 PM (6,972 Views)
JillianJ

six
Dec 14 2013, 07:08 PM
Hummm
Dec 14 2013, 04:15 AM
Dear Soap God's,Please Stop the spotlight on Sami's character and give it to other cast member's like Hope,Marlena,Doug,Julie,Lucas,Kayla and so on,also bring back Jack D.,Bo B. and the rest of the Vet's so they can be in the Spotlight.
Those people already had their moment in the spotlight.

I'm surprised one of the kids didn't find the tag.
Agreed on all counts and I am glad its EJ who found it though . There is a spoiler pic of EJ in jeans with something in his hand, I thought when I first saw it that it was going to be a tag, but since he gets that now, I suppose the girls left more evidence lying around. Oh dear :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Hummm
Member Avatar

six
Hummm
Dear Soap God's,Please Stop the spotlight on Sami's character and give it to other cast member's like Hope,Marlena,Doug,Julie,Lucas,Kayla and so on,also bring back Jack D.,Bo B. and the rest of the Vet's so they can be in the Spotlight.

True,but not as much as Sami's character year after year and Sami's is in almost in every story,it is a overkill.

lysie
Member Avatar

Hummm
Dec 14 2013, 09:37 PM
six
Hummm

True,but not as much as Sami's character year after year and Sami's is in almost in every story,it is a overkill.
She's had way more time in the spotlight than most of the vets ever did, lol.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JaneDigby

lysie
Dec 14 2013, 09:50 PM
Hummm
six
Hummm

It's a business. The promo is there to promote the major story that week and draw in viewers. If the promo gets thousands of hits and the ratings stay consistent, then the TPTB will consider it effective. That is what drives what is on our screens. If showing a promo of a rotting banana pulled in viewers, Sony would show it every week. They could care less about variety or honoring the past or anything other than bringing in enough of the right viewers to command the advertising dollars to keep the show on the air. If the show could do that with a major s/l and non stop promos of (insert character or couple name here) they would do it.

Most of the promos this fall were about the lead up to the Bristen wedding then it switched to the Nick murder. The ratings have been consistent. How is that Sami overkill?

lysie
Member Avatar

JaneDigby
Dec 14 2013, 10:23 PM
lysie
Hummm
six

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
It's a business. The promo is there to promote the major story that week and draw in viewers. If the promo gets thousands of hits and the ratings stay consistent, then the TPTB will consider it effective. That is what drives what is on our screens. If showing a promo of a rotting banana pulled in viewers, Sony would show it every week. They could care less about variety or honoring the past or anything other than bringing in enough of the right viewers to command the advertising dollars to keep the show on the air. If the show could do that with a major s/l and non stop promos of (insert character or couple name here) they would do it.

Most of the promos this fall were about the lead up to the Bristen wedding then it switched to the Nick murder. The ratings have been consistent. How is that Sami overkill?
I didn't say it was though, if I still cared, I could put my argument here for why it is. But I don't. All I said is that she's been in the spotlight more than most of the vets. She has.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 14 2013, 10:29 PM
JaneDigby
lysie
Hummm

I didn't say it was though, if I still cared, I could put my argument here for why it is. But I don't. All I said is that she's been in the spotlight more than most of the vets. She has.
What is your definition of "vet" in this context? Are you considering years on the show or some other criteria?

lysie
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Dec 14 2013, 11:00 PM
lysie
JaneDigby
lysie

What is your definition of "vet" in this context? Are you considering years on the show or some other criteria?
Just the more common definition which is pretty moronic, tbh.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 14 2013, 11:06 PM
gailwinters
lysie
JaneDigby

Well, call me dumb because I honestly don't know the common definition of who is a soap vet. Like, how many years would someone be on a show to be considered a vet?

lysie
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Dec 14 2013, 11:13 PM
lysie
gailwinters
lysie

Well, call me dumb because I honestly don't know the common definition of who is a soap vet. Like, how many years would someone be on a show to be considered a vet?
Lol. Well you probably don't know because it's stupid. Most will tell you it has to do with years on the show but it's not. It's basically anyone older than the main characters. The list of actors the person was asking for more of was full of people typically considered to be vets that have had far less spotlight than AS. So the idea that they've already had their time in the spotlight just doesn't work.

Hummm
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 14 2013, 11:21 PM
gailwinters
lysie
gailwinters

Lol. Well you probably don't know because it's stupid. Most will tell you it has to do with years on the show but it's not. It's basically anyone older than the main characters. The list of actors the person was asking for more of was full of people typically considered to be vets that have had far less spotlight than AS. So the idea that they've already had their time in the spotlight just doesn't work.
Ty lysie,you said better then I did.

six
Member Avatar

Hummm
six
Hummm

I can understand bring sick of Sami, but IMO, the solution would be to move forward, not back.

Hummm
Member Avatar

six
Dec 14 2013, 11:37 PM
Hummm
six
Hummm

I can understand bring sick of Sami, but IMO, the solution would be to move forward, not back.
I don't want to go backwards,just balance.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
gailwinters
lysie
gailwinters

Sure it does, because they have. They might not have been in the spotlight as long as AS, but when they were young, they drove the stories.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lysie
gailwinters
lysie
gailwinters

Thanks for the explanation.

six
Member Avatar

Hummm
Dec 14 2013, 11:42 PM
six
Dec 14 2013, 11:37 PM
Hummm
six

I don't want to go backwards,just balance.
Yeah, I'd like more balance, too. I just don't think the way to get it is to bring that group back to the forefront (not that I wouldn't like to see them in stories).

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Dec 14 2013, 11:43 PM
lysie
gailwinters
lysie

Sure it does, because they have. They might not have been in the spotlight as long as AS, but when they were young, they drove the stories.
Nah. Not when the complaint is specifically about AS. But I agree that they need to move forward rather than back. I like to see the older characters used, but I'd prefer they be used in age appropriate ways and not in constant repeats of their old stories. However, if we're going to be stuck with the same old crap like we have been for the last decade, I'd rather it be someone else besides Sami.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

JaneDigby
lysie
Hummm
six

I completely disagree with most of what you said, since you're basically implying that if people watch the promo and also watch the show all week, then TPTB will know that you want more of what/who was in the promo. The problem with your argument is that if TPTB are featuring the same characters over & over in promos & the ratings are staying the same, then that means that either they're not drawing in new viewers, or they're drawing in the same number of new viewers as there are people no longer watching because they're bored/tired of the same storyline.

It would've made a lot more sense for TPTB to tease Hope's call from Bo. And I'm not saying this because I'm a Bope/Hope fan. I say this because there are still A LOT of Bope fans who want Peter to return and are hoping he will. A promo teasing what Bo will say to Hope (Will he be coming home for Christmas?) would draw in viewers who long to see Bo back on their screens. Promos don't need to always be about the A storyline. They can also be about major events happening in B storylines. I vaguely recall that we've had a similar "ugh, why is this story getting another promo when this pivotal thing happens in this other storyline" discussion a short while back.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

Those in the general audience who don't read soap magazines, follow or have twitter accounts have no idea that PR isn't coming back, so hearing that Bo is calling Hope would peak their interest in the show and give them hope that it means Bo is finally coming back.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 15 2013, 12:04 AM
six
Dec 14 2013, 11:43 PM
lysie
gailwinters

Nah. Not when the complaint is specifically about AS. But I agree that they need to move forward rather than back. I like to see the older characters used, but I'd prefer they be used in age appropriate ways and not in constant repeats of their old stories. However, if we're going to be stuck with the same old crap like we have been for the last decade, I'd rather it be someone else besides Sami.
The reason that i don't think it matters is that AS has spent the majority of her career in the spotlight worthy age group. Everyone else was let go or chose to spread their spotlight worthy time amongst several shows, and well, the moment has passed.

And i don't think it would be a good idea to pique the interest of the general audience by tricking then into thinking there's a chance for a bope reunion.

JaneDigby

Supergirlx2
Dec 15 2013, 12:47 AM
JaneDigby
lysie
Hummm

I completely disagree with most of what you said, since you're basically implying that if people watch the promo and also watch the show all week, then TPTB will know that you want more of what/who was in the promo. The problem with your argument is that if TPTB are featuring the same characters over & over in promos & the ratings are staying the same, then that means that either they're not drawing in new viewers, or they're drawing in the same number of new viewers as there are people no longer watching because they're bored/tired of the same storyline.

It would've made a lot more sense for TPTB to tease Hope's call from Bo. And I'm not saying this because I'm a Bope/Hope fan. I say this because there are still A LOT of Bope fans who want Peter to return and are hoping he will. A promo teasing what Bo will say to Hope (Will he be coming home for Christmas?) would draw in viewers who long to see Bo back on their screens. Promos don't need to always be about the A storyline. They can also be about major events happening in B storylines. I vaguely recall that we've had a similar "ugh, why is this story getting another promo when this pivotal thing happens in this other storyline" discussion a short while back.
I'm not implying that a successful promo equals viewers delighted with the storyline on display. You inferred that.

Here's the difference from: when OLTL was running promos about amnesiac-Marty and Todd frolicking in meadows during the "rapemance" the promos were getting a ton of hits on YT, ABC and Soapnet. The viewing numbers actually grew. No one at ABC or OLTL thought that meant viewers LOVED the storyline. They knew a large number of people hated that story line and that a significant number of people tuned in to watch in mindset best described as "are you kidding me? Are they actually trying to sell this?" If Y&R ran a promo for the death of Delia Abbott and it drew viewers to it and the show no one at Sony or CBS is going to run through the halls shouting "We need more dead babies!"

Quote:

the ratings are staying the same, then that means that either they're not drawing in new viewers, or they're drawing in the same number of new viewers as there are people no longer watching because they're bored/tired of the same storyline.

The problem, as you see it, with my argument actually is not a problem as far TPTB are. And, yes, I am basing this on working knowledge of the industry. Consistent ratings are incredibly important. Yes, a steady increase in ratings is better but very, very few television shows have that luxury. Consistent ratings that are on par with peer shows and that deliver a desirable demo are what advertisers want. Whether the viewers are new or long time doesn't matter to advertisers. To the show it matters a bit but not tremendously. As a viewer, that sometimes pisses me off and I can completely understand why it would piss off others. I've turned this show off in disgust more than once but as a viewer, that is my only recourse.

Quote:

It would've made a lot more sense for TPTB to tease Hope's call from Bo.

Only if the show actually DOES something with that call. Suppose Bo calls Hope from the side of a bridge, telling her he's gonna jump and then does. THAT would be a promo because the fallout would last weeks and, yes, to your point, long time Bope fans would hear about it and tune in. (That's the last thing I want, btw, for Bo to die. I love the couple and the characters.) If the show is just giving out it's usual dopey previews and the call from Bo is just "Hey, honey, not ready to come home yet" then the promo would only give the show a boost for one day. Not enough for the whole week in NBC/Sony's eyes.

I think a good Hope s/l is coming with Mark Collier's arrival and I'm delighted. I actually think the show does a decent job with "the vets" as defined here. A perfect job? No. Could it be better? Yes. But with Jennifer in a major A story line it's hard to say that show is ignoring "vets." Yes, that story line makes me want to stab my eyes out but someone somewhere must be enjoying the hell out of it or it is prime "hate watching" material. I'd love to see more Kayla and more Julie, for instance, than more Gabi but that's just what I want.

I can see that this conversation isn't really going further. With respect, to each their own.
Edited by JaneDigby, Dec 15 2013, 10:51 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply