Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wanda Coleman, first black female writer to win Daytime Emmy, dies at 67; Worked on "Days" during its first year of one-hour episodes, 1975-1976
Topic Started: Dec 21 2013, 11:11 PM (383 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

Posted Image

WANDA COLEMAN

"DAYS OF OUR LIVES" WRITER, 1975-1976

IN LOVING MEMORY

NOVEMBER 13, 1946-NOVEMBER 22, 2013

Wanda Coleman, who was hired as a script writer for "Days of Our Lives" when the show expanded to an hour in 1975, has passed away at the age of 67. Coleman died Friday, November 22, 2013 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a long illness. During Coleman's one year with "Days", the show was nominated and won a Daytime Emmy for best writing, and she became the first black female writer to win that award.

With her dark skin and "unconkable kinky hair," Wanda Coleman found growing up in Los Angeles in the 1950s often felt like torture.

"The stultifying intellectual loneliness of my 1950s and '60s upbringing was dictated by my looks," she wrote years later. "Boys gawked at me, and girls tittered behind my back. Black teachers shook their heads in pity, and White teachers stared in amusement or in wonder." Books became her precious refuge but were hard to come by because the libraries, she noted, "discouraged Negro readers."

Such trials could grind any person down, but for Coleman they became a vital source for poetry that compelled attention to racism and hatred the themes that most drove her to transcend the barriers of her birth and take her place as one of the city's most perceptive writers.

A native of Watts who long was regarded as L.A.'s unofficial poet laureate, Coleman died Friday, November 22, 2013 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after a long illness, said her husband, poet Austin Straus. She was 67.

During four decades as a force on the Los Angeles poetry scene, Coleman wrote more than 20 books, including novels and collections of short stories and essays.

She was most eloquent in poems, illuminating the ironies and despair in a poor black woman's daily struggle for dignity but also writing tenderly and with humor about identity, tangled love, California winters and her working-class parents.

"She wrote not just about the black experience in Los Angeles but the whole configuration of Los Angeles in terms of its politics, its social life," said Richard Modiano, executive director of Beyond Baroque, the Venice literary center where Coleman gave powerful readings. "I would call her a world-class poet. The range of her poetry and the voice she writes in is accessible to all sorts of people."

Among Coleman's best-known works was "Bathwater Wine" (1998), which brought her the Lenore Marshall National Poetry Prize from the Academy of American Poets in 1999. Her next volume, "Mercurochrome" (2001), was a finalist for the National Book Award, whose judges said, "Coleman's poetry stings, stains and ultimately helps heal wounds" of racial injustice and gender inequality.

Opinionated and fiercely individualistic, Coleman was also a critic and former columnist for The Times, whose scornful 2002 review of celebrated author Maya Angelou's "A Song Flung Up to Heaven" one in a series of follow-ups to "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" caused a tempest in the world of letters.

Coleman panned the memoir as "a sloppily written fake" conceived to satisfy commercial rather than aesthetic tastes. Her harsh attack on the iconic black writer drew national media coverage and led the African American owner of the specialty bookshop Esowon to ban Coleman from his store. But she remained unbowed.

"Others often use the word 'uncompromising' to describe my work," she told Contemporary Poets in 2001. "I find that quite pleasing."

Born in Los Angeles on Nov. 13, 1946, Coleman was the daughter of George and Lewana Evans. Her father was an ex-boxer who ran a Central Avenue sign shop by day and mopped floors as a janitor by night. Her mother was a seamstress and housekeeper who sometimes worked for Hollywood stars such as Ronald Reagan. Both parents nurtured a love for books and music, which helped soothe the pain of prejudice, uncaring teachers and the cruelties of peers.

Coleman attended Los Angeles Valley College and Cal State Los Angeles but did not earn a degree. By 20 she was married and the mother of two children, whom she supported after divorcing her first husband in 1969.

To get by, she held a series of low-paying jobs, including typist, waitress and Peace Corps recruiter. In the early 1970s she embarked on a journalism career with an assignment from the Los Angeles Free Press to write about a fundraiser for Black Panther supporter Angela Davis. But her sarcastic coverage caused consternation in the Davis camp, and she was blackballed by the underground paper for a decade.

In 1975 she landed a job writing for the NBC soap opera "Days of Our Lives" and the next year became the first black woman to win a Daytime Emmy for writing. She earned a National Endowment for the Arts grant in 1981-82, and won a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1984. But, first and foremost, she remained an uncompromising wordsmith intent on pursuing her vision regardless of those offended in the process.

Wanda Coleman, alternatively known as the "High Priestess of Word," and the "L.A. Blues Woman," was born Wanda Evans to George and Lewana Evans on Nov. 13, 1946. She is survived by her husband, the poet Austin Straus.

(Obituary courtesy of Los Angeles Times)
Edited by Jason47, Dec 21 2013, 11:12 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nananana7

Thanks for posting, Jason.

Here is a link to the full LA Times obituary.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-wanda-coleman-20131124-1,0,7466612,full.story#axzz2oAsEh7YK

Edited by nananana7, Dec 21 2013, 11:38 PM.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. This was a great read. As a black woman, I often take my ability to write for granted (and even moreso, my love for reading). It's scary to think that she struggled so much in a time that wasn't so far back in the grand scheme of things. May she rest in peace.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason, excellent read of truly a trail blazer may she R.I.P.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply