Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
More scoop on Clyde...
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 02:34 AM (4,021 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

MORE SCOOP ON CLYDE...

Here's some more details on that casting notice about Clyde which was posted on Twitter earlier in the week.

Clyde is a short term contract role. Looking for a "Winter's Bone meets Duck Dynasty" type - a Kris Kristofferson...Nick Nolte Type. He's a serious man from the Ozarks who can charm almost anyone, particularly those who have no idea how lethal he can be. People who know him are scared of him. He is a man who may be without a conscience and who doesn't care about others and his affect on them. He takes what he wants. When cleaned up, he is very handsome.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Marlene

Part of Jordan's past???

camera shy

Remember the actor who used to play Billy Clyde and he was the character named Donna's pimp? I think it was on AMC........he would be perfect for the part.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BradyB

Thinking Jordan's past as well

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

As long as they don't stereotype the Ozarks............Jay Kenneth Johnson was from the Ozarks, after all...............Well, I guess he's the exception, LOL

pagraves
Member Avatar

Nah, JKJ's not the exception. People in the Ozarks are like people everywhere - some good, some bad, some venal, some principled, some stupid, some smart, some cruel, some kind.

I just hope they make him layered. The casting description suggests he might be layered, even as a bad guy, and I'm all for that.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

pagraves
Jan 11 2014, 09:07 AM
Nah, JKJ's not the exception. People in the Ozarks are like people everywhere - some good, some bad, some venal, some principled, some stupid, some smart, some cruel, some kind.

I just hope they make him layered. The casting description suggests he might be layered, even as a bad guy, and I'm all for that.
True. That's a huge area. Springfield is very urban, yet small-town. I remember seeing him at a Working Woman's Survival Show in St. Louis once, and one woman was aghast that he didn't sound like a hillbilly, but he didn't sound "St. Louis" either. But yes, there are plenty of Ozark people in the small towns who do fit the stereotype. In many places, it's a very poor area. (I've lived in Missouri all my life, and my mom lived 20 years in the Ozarks and I still have relatives there. My daughter also spent her first year of teaching 60 miles from Springfield, and the status for the most part was SO different, and she's lived in Springfield for 6 years). But it's a good mixture sampling. I just don't like stereotypes. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but it definitely sounds like I did. Same with the region of Missouri where I grew up. He just doesn't need to be shown as "spittin' and chewin' and cussin' and shootin'" with some crazy-ass accent.

pagraves
Member Avatar

Oh, honey, I'm from ALABAMA. I'm right there with you on the stereotypes.

Reese
Member Avatar
♥ Soulmates ♥

Yep. Louisianian here. Totes understand.

jam6242
Member Avatar

camera shy
Jan 11 2014, 07:29 AM
Remember the actor who used to play Billy Clyde and he was the character named Donna's pimp? I think it was on AMC........he would be perfect for the part.
Matthew Cowles? I like him but he's not the rugged type and I don't think he's exactly handsome even when cleaned up.

Hamilton
Member Avatar

I'm intrigued. He sounds perfect to stir up trouble.

Daysfanatic79
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Jan 11 2014, 09:19 AM
pagraves
Jan 11 2014, 09:07 AM

True. That's a huge area. Springfield is very urban, yet small-town. I remember seeing him at a Working Woman's Survival Show in St. Louis once, and one woman was aghast that he didn't sound like a hillbilly, but he didn't sound "St. Louis" either. But yes, there are plenty of Ozark people in the small towns who do fit the stereotype. In many places, it's a very poor area. (I've lived in Missouri all my life, and my mom lived 20 years in the Ozarks and I still have relatives there. My daughter also spent her first year of teaching 60 miles from Springfield, and the status for the most part was SO different, and she's lived in Springfield for 6 years). But it's a good mixture sampling. I just don't like stereotypes. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but it definitely sounds like I did. Same with the region of Missouri where I grew up. He just doesn't need to be shown as "spittin' and chewin' and cussin' and shootin'" with some crazy-ass accent.
When It Comes To Southern and Mid-Western Stereotypes, I HAVE To Weigh In!!!!!!!!!

I lived in Springfield, Missouri for an year and a half, and now I live in Huntsville, AL. I am originally from Atlanta, and I have lived in places like LA, Melbourne, FL, and spent my teen years in Savannah, Ga.

Atlanta and LA are similar in more ways than I can count, except the Buckhead section of Atlanta in not a "Beverly Hills" like locals would wish to think. I mean, Buckhead is great and it is the touchstone for celebrities of the interior Southeast, but it is not the be all of end all. STILL, it pains me when people act like Atlanta, my hometown, is just a Gigantic redneck mecca. Bluntly, LA has a much larger problem with racism and segregation than Atlanta.

Then you have Savannah, a very fashion forward and open-minded coastal city. It is "southern", but it is NOT backward. There are "backward' ideologies among some natives outside the city, but it's not the 1980's, and the town is actually cosmopolitan. The only problem is the socio-economic divide among races, but laws have been passed in Georgia to try to fight those issues. Savannah, in terms of the economic divide between Whites and African Americans, has made substantial progress.

Then you have Huntsville, AL, a city with a metro population larger than Savannah and has an economy totally based on technology/space exploration. It is my favorite place to have lived, especially since new shopping venues have moved into town. The tornado threat is annoying, but so is the threat for hurricanes in Florida and Savannah, earthquakes in California, ice storms in Atlanta, and severe storms (both spring and winter) in Springfield. It's the fastest changing city I have ever lived in, and the energy is very "boom town" right now. At first, I hated it here, but it is changing so quickly, it just represents what the "New South" is all about.

Melbourne, Florida was strangely the most backward place I have lived despite it's proximity to the coast and Miami. I did live closer to West Palm Beach and loved how forward thinking it was, but Melbourne, although a surfer magnet, has some problems moving forward in mentality. Tourism is the driving force of the economy, so "industry" and "technology" keeps the inner core of the town stale. This is the deal though, all things considered, it was still a great place to be.

Springfield, the "Queen City of the Ozarks", has a great little downtown scene and is cosmopolitan for a city it's size. Do you have people come to town that have a stereotypical feel? Yes, to be quite honest. It's even more prominent in Springfield than it is in cities further south, but it is still an urban and it has a big city "vibe". My only drawback to the town happened to be the poverty amongst many of the residents that was not as bad in some places. Savannah, out of all the cities I lived in, STILL had a noticeable difference economically between races, but Springfield had an overall problem with class warfare. Drug use among the poor and less educational opportunities than other places I have lived made a difference. With that said, it was still more like a bustling and open-minded urban center than Melbourne.

LA is a fun place to live!! It is energetic, eccentric , dynamic, and enjoyable. I loved living south of the city in Orange County as well, and if you like to shop, you gotta love LA. The food establishments are the best of anywhere I've been in America besides New York. Santa Monica and Anaheim are great places for visiting, but just get ready to HATE traffic. LA has the worst Traffic. followed by Atlanta, and then New York. New York is thrd only because it is so large, why not use the subway? LA is awesome, but has serious racial issues that over shadows any southern big city 10:1.

BOTTOM LINE: Stereotyping people by race or where they live is unfair. I have lived in more cities listed due to my career or circumstances, and I have spent months at a time in cities like Chicago, Dallas, and Boston (Love all 3!!!! Each has such a unique feel!) , and you cannot pick a place and present a person that "depicts" the type of person who originates from a place. I'll admit, the more rural you get anywhere in America, the easier you can find a stereotypical person. I have found as many "rednecks" in deep, rural upstate New York as I have found in rural Arkansas. It's just the "atmosphere", and where you live in proximity to educational institutions and urban centers. Is there a racial divide in the rural old south? I have to admit yes, but it's not as open or cruel now. Instead, it revolves around social classes and educational opportunities. I know the states of Georgia and Florida have tried to institute laws encouraging those lines to blur and go away through college grants and career training. Progress in that area is a focus on the south because of it's horrific past, while in Northern cities that same rift (though not as obvious) appears but is not focused on as much. The south deserves it's reputation for embracing "Jim Crow", but has changed and most states are trying to enact laws to encourage economic prosperity amongst all it's residents.

I will end with this......the most segregated city I have resided in when it comes to neighborhood and racial segregation......Is LA and Orange County. Example: start at South Coast Plaza and start heading north. The neighborhood goes from upper class white, to lower class white, to Latino. to African American. There where strict lines of where each resided. It was like nothing this Atlanta man has ever witnessed. Atlanta has a problem, but you find blacks and white in poor and upper class areas. LA is more segregated.

Now, we have a "Duck Dynasty" (a show some around here watch, but my friends and I loathe) type character coming. After what that ignorant idiot has said lately, it's insensitive for "Days" to even reference that show. I am white. I am male, I am southern. I am straight. My roots are "Southern Aristocratic". My family has fought for equality in the South since 1950, and I am proud of the progress. I DESPISE bigotry, and I loathe corporations or institutions that exploit that cancer.

PALMommy
Member Avatar

Reese
Jan 11 2014, 09:47 AM
No joke! Born, bred and living in the Lone Star State of Texas and our stereotypes are: cowboy boots, hats and everyone says y'all. Okay, well the y'all part might be true. :-/

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Interesting....

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

PALMommy
Jan 11 2014, 03:53 PM
Reese
Jan 11 2014, 09:47 AM
No joke! Born, bred and living in the Lone Star State of Texas and our stereotypes are: cowboy boots, hats and everyone says y'all. Okay, well the y'all part might be true. :-/
I'm from Texas & I never say y'all. B-)

Also, I agree with daysfanatic, I hate the stereotyping of the south.

There are bigots, racists, etc in EVERY part of this country & there are wonderful loving people in EVERY part of this country too.

jam6242
Member Avatar

I agree about the backwoods stereotypes. I grew up in Eastern Kentucky so I've heard plenty of derogatory comments too.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

The Beverly Hillbillies were from the Ozarks. As a matter of fact, they even had some episodes in Branson right after Silver Dollar City opened up! The Ozarks has a rich, wonderful heritage with strong people, and yes, some of the worst poverty in Missouri (and I'll wager, maybe Arkansas, which is has a huge portion of the Ozarks and most of the mountain range) but then again, so do some of the most northern towns. But it's God's country, folks. LOL Absolutely GORGEOUS! (I do not work for the Missouri Department of Tourism, LOL) Anyway, if Clyde ends up like a Duck Dynasty dude, I might have to bodily harm someone.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jason47
Jan 11 2014, 02:34 AM
MORE SCOOP ON CLYDE...

Here's some more details on that casting notice about Clyde which was posted on Twitter earlier in the week.

Clyde is a short term contract role. Looking for a "Winter's Bone meets Duck Dynasty" type - a Kris Kristofferson...Nick Nolte Type. He's a serious man from the Ozarks who can charm almost anyone, particularly those who have no idea how lethal he can be. People who know him are scared of him. He is a man who may be without a conscience and who doesn't care about others and his affect on them. He takes what he wants. When cleaned up, he is very handsome.
Oh I like those kinds of villains. Nice and friendly in public, evil scum behind closed doors.

To bad he's only short-term.

KAM

Jason47
Jan 11 2014, 02:34 AM
MORE SCOOP ON CLYDE...

Wow, this is one of the weirder DOOL cast call descriptions I can recall. Somehow it left me saying: 'What da hell?'

I had missed the original tweet for this, so I looked back and found it. So that just left me more confused as to what I'm going to be seeing.

SoapUncensored @SoapUncensored 7 Jan
#DAYS Nationwide Search: [CLYDE] 50+ IMPOSING WHITE MALE Think DUCK DYNASTY (Nick Nolte Type) CHARMING/LETHAL; HANDSOME when dressed up
https://twitter.com/SoapUncensored/status/42055016...

Days is looking for a 50+ actor. They've got two very contemporary references: 'Winter's Bone meets Duck Dynasty' (Backwoods Meth Dealers meet Whatever DD means to DOOL) that don't bring to my mind any images of the character as otherwise described. Should I think of someone like John Hawkes? Yes, a wonderful 50+ dangerously handsome man with a worn rugged face but not an 'IMPOSING WHITE MALE.' No, I guess I'm supposed to visualize Nick Nolte or Kris Kristofferson, who were both ruggedly charming when they were 50+ back in the 90s. So I guess that's the era where 'the type' should come from. OK, but Nick Nolte is an unfortunate example, then, since his most recent image seared in my mind is that of his infamous mug shot.

IDK, maybe this just hit me wrong today...but this casting call seems so confusing and unfocused. It does not make me look forward to its upcoming story line. I just hope it's going to be better than it seems so far. :unsure:

am103
Member Avatar

Hmm... Clyde sounds deliciously villainous and sexy. Interested to see what this turns into!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply