Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings Report Jan 6 - 10, 2014
Topic Started: Jan 17 2014, 02:21 AM (1,606 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

outrageous
Jan 18 2014, 07:24 PM
I really don't see the excitement over Days' ratings. They have fallen and the show is still in the 4th place.
There are only four soaps, so their placement is irrelevant. What's relevant is their demos and the comparison to last year. I think the show BLOWS right now, but the ratings are good.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Daysfanatic79
Jan 18 2014, 07:04 PM
james0479
Jan 18 2014, 10:18 AM
Happy to see all soaps doing so well ratings wise lately. Sure the sucky weather helped and while I only watch Days, I'm happy for the soap world. In my opinion Days is doing an awesome job lately with timing and pacing. So many things are going on and it's been must see TV for this fan! Hope they keep it up
OK, I am ready to post what has been on my mind for a while now.....

Did the weather play a role, hell yes! HOWEVER, there are plenty of things to do during cold and snowy weather, and I have hundreds of channels, internet shows to watch, and Netflix ready to go if I can't find anything I like on television. Soaps were not the only answer for cold/snowbound viewers. Here in Huntsville, AL on Monday/Tuesday, we had lows near 0 and constant snow showers and black ice on the roads. In the south, that's a big deal. Still, schools simply delayed and life went on for the most part. My closest weather reporting station to my house near Green Mountain and Ditto Landing at the Tennessee River had -2 as the low that particular Tuesday morning. That is crazy cold and had some folks indoors, but not enough to say it was ONLY the cold. The fact is with a myriad of options, people chose to watch soaps these last weeks, and there is most definitely ANOTHER strong polar vortex and snow in our forecast coming this coming week and the next. It will bring constant snow showers and single digits down my way again. I am a weather nerd, so count on it.

The truth is weather assisted an improving genre. "Days of Our Lives" was dead in the water for MOST of 2000-2010. I must declare what I thought I would never state again, Days, despite some major bumps in the road this decade, has been better than it was in the decade that began the 21st century, so far.

That is a great statement to make and it feels good to say it! Now we have some good new actors who will grace our screens soon, and John Black returning.
Spoiler: click to toggle

All soaps look good, but the two soaps that have creatively had an amazing comeback from the abyss are "Days of Our Lives" and "General Hospital"
. I mean look, "Days" is using Julie!!! They are using an absolute ICON that made "Days" the soap of the 1970's to bring drama and angst, and she can act rings around most artist I know. I mean, it's actually a brilliant move. Now......Use Deidre Hall. I have a very good feeling her time is coming. Both "Days" and "GH" are using new and vibrant characters played by good actors, while utilizing Icons and historic characters from each show's respective past.

The weather played a role, and ratings will go down, until the next vortex this coming weeks, but I think February will be good for us. Something tells me, judging by the quality we have seen these last few months, we are looking at some really great, must see soap coming up for sweeps. It is fun and a solid, good soap as it is right now. When they take it up a notch in February, I think we will see some fireworks. "Days" has not been this consistent in AGES!

Spoiler: click to toggle
You know we don't like rumors here. If you have a source, please link to it. Otherwise, it really doesn't need to be posted here. I think most people seem to believe she'll be back, though.

james0479
Member Avatar

lysie
Jan 18 2014, 07:50 PM
outrageous
Jan 18 2014, 07:24 PM
I really don't see the excitement over Days' ratings. They have fallen and the show is still in the 4th place.
There are only four soaps, so their placement is irrelevant. What's relevant is their demos and the comparison to last year. I think the show BLOWS right now, but the ratings are good.
There are things I'd change about the show and things that annoy me but overall it's more fun and oddly interesting than it's been in forever, to me! But I gotta say (and you know this anyway) I love your commentary regarding Days, especially when you do play by plays when you think the show blows because it just makes me laugh! Lol. Love me some Lysie!! ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply