Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ABC Doesn't Want Prospect Park to Extend Soaps License
Topic Started: Jan 17 2014, 10:12 AM (587 Views)
bellajewel
Member Avatar
~SIZZLING HOT~

ABC Doesn't Want Prospect Park to Extend Soaps License

In a $95 million battle over the relaunch of "One Life to Live" and "All My Children," the network says there were no complaints while it used characters from the shows on "General Hospital."

Posted Image

ABC has responded in court for the first time to the $95 million lawsuit launched by Prospect Park that accuses the network of sabotaging a relaunch of One Life to Live and All My Children.

The first order of business for ABC? Making sure that Prospect Park's hold on the soaps isn't secure.

In November, the plaintiff filed an amended lawsuit that alleges ABC has committed fraud and breached a license agreement. Specifically, the network is accused of realizing its error in abandoning the soaps, scheming "in its quest for a mega soap," borrowing characters to kill them off and inducing actors to sign secret, exclusive, multiyear contracts with the network.

Besides $95 million in damages, Prospect Park is also demanding "a declaration that Prospect Park's continued payment of the licensing fees under the Agreement is excused; that Prospect Park is entitled to an extension of the License Agreement; and that the term of the License Agreement is tolled, from the time of ABC's breach until the breach is fully remedied."

ABC reacts to that demand with a motion to strike.

"Here, Prospect Park is not asking this Court to resolve an unsettled question by interpreting the Agreement," says the network's papers. "Instead, it is doing the exact opposite: asking this Court to rewrite the contract to unsettle something that parties have already firmly determined -- the term of the License."

The network, represented by Susan Klein at Valle Makoff, wants the lawsuit ridded of a license extension demand. According to ABC, the license agreement allows Prospect Park rights on the soaps for up to 15 seasons of 12 calendar months each unless Prospect ceases production for 18 consecutive months. In that case, rights would revert back to ABC. A relaunched version of OLTL was suspended last September, giving Prospect Park roughly until March 2015 to pick it up again. That is, unless the license agreement is tolled. It's also possible that a trial could take place before that time anyway.

Although ABC doesn't address each of Prospect Park's allegations in detail, the court papers do nod at what the coming defense will look like.

Read more: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/abc-doesnt-want-prospect-park-671295

Edited by bellajewel, Jan 17 2014, 10:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar

Either way no new episodes will ever get made. I'd rather those rights revert back to ABC.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

natdot99
Member Avatar

PP destroyed the legacies of both shows. Both were horribly written and some of the main characters were missing in action.

Drew
Member Avatar

They made so many mistakes, too many to count. But the biggest of all was allowing 3 unimportant OLTL characters to end the entire venture. They were trending on hulu constantly, they had the eyeballs. If money was becoming a factor they should have taken on a partner or looked into product or music placement deals and rode it out for atleast a year to try to get back into the black. They were never going to remake all their money immediately, certainly not in 4 months.

I won't miss their tacky themes or Days-esq plots. I wish they'd tried to be as risqué as they promised, and not just with some overkill profanity. As far as I'm concerned, OLTL ended with the ABC finale.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bremol
Member Avatar

As far as I'm concerned, what we watched online was someone's nightmare for both shows. Even with AMC's finale being a cliff-hanger, it was still better to end there than end up with what PP did to it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · AMC & OLTL: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply