Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH continues for another season
Topic Started: Jan 22 2014, 10:40 PM (967 Views)
Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/general-hospital-renewed-daytime-soap-quartet-intact/

‘General Hospital’ To Continue Next Season, Keeping Daytime’s Soap Quartet Intact

Just a short two years ago, General Hospital was staring down the barrel of cancellation as ABC took away its long-time 3 PM slot for the pricey new Katie Couric talk show. Now Katie is facing a demise, set to end its rocky two-season run in May, while General Hospital has been thriving. ABC does not officially renew its soaps but I have learned that, not surprisingly, General Hospital will continue next season. That follows the announcements by CBS and NBC over the past week that they have renewed The Young And The Restless and The Bold & The Beautiful (CBS) and Days Of Our Lives (NBC). This means that the entire lineup of daytime dramas will remain intact as the genre experiences a resurgence. Consider this. All four soaps are in positive territory year-to-year. Leader The Young & The Restless (5.2 million viewers season to date, 1.5 in Women 18-49) is up 9% in total viewers and 7% in the female demo as it marks its 25th season as the most watched daytime drama. The Bold & The Beautiful (3.9 million, 1.1) is up 14% in viewers and even in W19-49. General Hospital (3.3 million, 1.4) is up 8% and 17%, respectively, as it closes in on Y&Y in the demo, and Days Of Our Lives (2.4, 1.1) is up 10% in both categories. Days is delivering its best season in W18-49 in 3 years and biggest season in total viewers in 4 years. General Hospital is pacing for its best season in 7 years in total viewers and is on track to post a 3-year high in W18-49. During the most recent week of available data, the Jan. 7 episode of GH ranked as the series’ most-watched telecast in over 6 years.

The reasons for the resurgence are hard to pin down. Most observers attribute the ratings growth to the fact that, after so many daytime dramas went away, soap fans are migrating to the remaining series. However, the last daytime drama to end its run on broadcast, ABC’s One Life To Live, did so in January 2012. And last year, Prospect Park offered new seasons of both All My Children and One Life To Live, so last fall, there was actually more competition, with 6 daytime dramas, the incumbents plus resurrected AMC and OLTL, than fall 2012, making the year-to-year ratings increases even more impressive. All broadcast soaps are readily available online (Watch ABC for GH, Hulu for Days) or daily on CBS sibling TVGN (Y&Y, B&B), making it easier for fans to keep up with the storylines. The series’ storylines themselves also have been getting positive reaction from fans, possibly helping bring in new viewers. But while the broadcast soaps are basking in ratings glory and celebrating renewals, the prospects for their online brethren, AMC and OLTL, continue to be grim. Both stopped production a while ago as producer Prospect Park has been embroiled in a legal battle with ABC and chances for any of them coming back appear infinitely small.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

Great. Another year with Queen Carlivati. :rolleyes:

Alin89
Member Avatar

im really disliking RC's writing. heck days has Tomsell for crying out loud and its doing a good job of writing the show.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Great news!

granolagirl
Member Avatar

RC just tweeted that he signed a new contract as well. I really hope they get him a co-HW. He needs it badly.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

Another season of EMBARRASSMENT!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

AllmyDaysatGh
Jan 23 2014, 02:03 PM
:blulaugh:

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

This is great news. But I find it so weird that they released this in the evening of the same day Days got all the press for their renewal. ABC should of done it a different day.

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

Kevc1980
Jan 23 2014, 03:49 PM
This is great news. But I find it so weird that they released this in the evening of the same day Days got all the press for their renewal. ABC should of done it a different day.
It's simple! GH couldn't stand for a soap with lower ratings to have the spot light for a day!

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

AllmyDaysatGh
Jan 23 2014, 02:03 PM
I love your avatar :wub2:

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I greatly miss RC's OLTL. He has his periods of WTF but is still a more talented writer than anyone headlining Days, Y&R or B&B.

JarlenaLante
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Jan 23 2014, 12:12 PM
RC just tweeted that he signed a new contract as well. I really hope they get him a co-HW. He needs it badly.
Yeah they really need to fix the pacing issues on GH so characters are on more consistently. And get rid of the OLTL 3.

I am very happy we still have the remaining 4 soaps on the air. And yeah, we're in a dry spell on GH now and I am still bummed about Robin but I'm looking forward to the Victor Cassadine stuff in February, along with the Lante/Ben story.

paul89

any more talk about Victor Cassadine ? like any interview ???

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply