Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
"Days" wins WGA Award for best daytime drama!; UPDATED with "Days" WGA history facts
Topic Started: Feb 1 2014, 10:20 PM (3,993 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

"DAYS OF OUR LIVES" WINS WGA AWARD FOR BEST DAYTIME DRAMA FOR 2012-2013 SEASON!

Congratulations to the "Days of Our Lives" writing staff, who earlier this evening won this year's Writers Guild of America Award for best Daytime Drama. The period covers October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013. The WGA rulebook states that the award is based on three scripts (not necessarily in sequence) aired during this time period,

DAYTIME DRAMA WINNER:
Days of Our Lives, Written by Lorraine Broderick, David Cherrill, Carolyn Culliton, Richard Culliton, Rick Draughon, Christopher Dunn, Janet Iacobuzio, David A. Levinson, Ryan Quan, Dave Ryan, Melissa Salmons, Christopher J. Whitesell; NBC

UPDATE WITH "DAYS" WGA HISTORY FACTS:
This is just the second time in 12 nominations that "Days of Our Lives" has won a WGA Award, its first since 2000, when the writing team was comprised of Sally Sussman Morina, Dena Higley, Marlene Clark Poulter, Dorothy Ann Purser, Victor Gialanella, Meredith Post, Peter Brash, Peggy Schibi, Fran Myers, Maralyn Thoma, Joyce Rosenblad, Bruce Neckels and Sofia Landon Geier. "Days" was also nominated for the award in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1988, 1992, 1994, 2002 and 2013. The WGA began its daytime drama category in 1973. In 2008, "Days" won a WGA Award in the On-Air Promotion category, for "DAYS OF OUR LIVES: MINI-SERIES, THE BRADYS VS. THE DIMERAS", Written by Judie Henninger.

UPDATE ABOUT MISSING WRITERS:
Because head writer Gary Tomlin, dialogue writer Jeanne Marie Ford and script editor Fran Myers chose to keep writing for "One Life to Live" in 2007-2008 during the WGA strike, all three are no longer members of the WGA, and thus, no longer eligible to be nominated for WGA awards.
Edited by Jason47, Feb 1 2014, 11:19 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Someone's name is missing in the writing credits...is GT still at Days??

Honeybees
Member Avatar

I would be very curious to know which episodes were submitted. Is there a way to find that out?

lysie
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Feb 1 2014, 10:29 PM
Someone's name is missing in the writing credits...is GT still at Days??
We discussed this when the nominations came out. He's not in the Writers Guild anymore because he went Fi-Core or whatever. So no. All my dreams have not come true. He's there, but can't win WGA awards.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Did Jeanne Marie Ford go FiCore too? Sadly I remembered the Tomlin thing before I saw the list or I might have gotten a moment of excitement. I'm pretty convinced that Whitesell and Broderick are writing at least 95% of the show anyway now.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I'm very glad it wasn't Carlivati.

Jason47
Member Avatar

UPDATE WITH "DAYS" WGA HISTORY FACTS:
This is just the second time in 12 nominations that "Days of Our Lives" has won a WGA Award, its first since 2000, when the writing team was comprised of Sally Sussman Morina, Dena Higley, Marlene Clark Poulter, Dorothy Ann Purser, Victor Gialanella, Meredith Post, Peter Brash, Peggy Schibi, Fran Myers, Maralyn Thoma, Joyce Rosenblad, Bruce Neckels and Sofia Landon Geier. "Days" was also nominated for the award in 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1988, 1992, 1994, 2002 and 2013. The WGA began its daytime drama category in 1973. In 2008, "Days" won in the On-Air Promotion category, for "DAYS OF OUR LIVES: MINI-SERIES, THE BRADYS VS. THE DIMERAS, Written by Judie Henninger.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

That's great for Days. I thought 2013 was a great year for them. Hopefully, we'll get to find out which scripts they submitted. I'm betting Culliton or Salmons appears on them.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

Congrats to DOOL. Truly deserve it!

Jason47
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Feb 1 2014, 10:35 PM
I would be very curious to know which episodes were submitted. Is there a way to find that out?
I will try my best!

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

This WGA Award is, at least to some degree, #CordaysFault, right? ;)

(sorry... couldn't resist one last application. lol.)
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Paul8148

given the time frame I say they summited Nicole sucided attempt, Gabi given birth, and Nick confess to Gabi he was rape.

Joshua
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Feb 1 2014, 11:01 PM
You should see his latest tweet! He's pissed! LoL

"Someone explain to me how a show with a scab head writer wins the #WGA award. #hypocrisy" - Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron
Edited by Joshua, Feb 1 2014, 11:51 PM.

Restless84
Member Avatar

Joshua
Feb 1 2014, 11:51 PM
granolagirl

"Someone explain to me how a show with a scab head writer wins the #WGA award. #hypocrisy" - Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron
He's a freaking moron and his writing is overrated IMO.

Congrats to Days! Well-deserved.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

Joshua
granolagirl

Not an RC fan, but he brings up a good point. It's pretty damn strange for a UNION to give an award to a show where the HW is a scab.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Feb 2 2014, 12:00 AM
Joshua
granolagirl

Not an RC fan, but he brings up a good point. It's pretty damn strange for a UNION to give an award to a show where the HW is a scab.
There's no reason to punish the other head writer and the whole team of writers because of one man. I'm glad the WGA had the integrity not to be bitter and revengeful.

michr544125

Yay Days!!! They have been on fire this past year!!!

I'd love to know the episode also. I get the feeling it was either Gabi's birth or the Kristen/Brady wedding.

Im a moron and thought Ron Carlivati was joking because he has a strange sense of humor. Wooops I guess he wasn't joking. That was just a classless tweet then.
Edited by michr544125, Feb 2 2014, 12:33 AM.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

iheartwilson
Feb 2 2014, 12:08 AM
tomsawyer
Feb 2 2014, 12:00 AM
Joshua
granolagirl

There's no reason to punish the other head writer and the whole team of writers because of one man. I'm glad the WGA had the integrity not to be bitter and revengeful.
Right. It's not the other writers' fault and they shouldn't be punished. But I'm still surprised that a union would give an award to a show that would hire a scab for an HW. It's obviously their prerogative and I think Days deserved the award, but it's still surprising to me.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

I'm not sure how the voting works, but the internal politics of WGA seem to be complicated. I remember reading that some members were angry about the Fi-Core shaming the union did after the strike, and the union not being sympathetic with how the strike uniquely impacted soap writers. So the membership at large may not care. IDK.

Oh, and Carlivati is a douche.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Although I did forget that Tomlin was at OL during the strike and during RC's tenure, so it's a little more personal, lol. But still, every soap maintained production during the strike, and he needs to GTFO it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply