Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 6 2014, 10:36 PM (2,148 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

2014 Sochi Olympics Discussion

Posted Image
This isn't the official logo. The official one is ugly as sin.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

darraholic
Member Avatar

I watched the Pairs portion for the Figure Skating Team Event this morning.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

I was watching the qualifiers for the Mens and Womens new snowboarding event this morning. I love the winter games. The summer ones bore me to death.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Posted Image

Alin89
Member Avatar

i cant wait for the opening ceremony.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Haha. Now we've got company for failed Opening Ceremonies props.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

^What happened?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alana
Member Avatar

A minor mishap: click until you get to the pic of the 5 Olympic rings (or better 4 rings lol). Be patient, it's pic 34 or 35 lol.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/07/world/gallery/sochi-opening-ceremony/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I really liked the opening ceremony. It was quite spectacular. Lots of fireworks, Bolschoi ballet dancers, Anna Netrebko singing etc. etc.

I can't wait for the competitions to start and hoping for a Biathlon medal for Germany tomorrow!

Alin89
Member Avatar

so far a good opening ceremony

Alin89
Member Avatar

k i loved this opening ceremony way better than london's

darraholic
Member Avatar

Looks like another possible Figure Skating Judging Scandal is brewing and once again it is to screw the Canadians.

SOCHI, Russia — A figure skating scandal could be brewing at the Sochi Olympics, but Canada’s head coach insists he’s confident the judging will be fair.

Twelve years after the scandal that rocked the Salt Lake Olympics, French newspaper L’Equipe has reported that Russian judges would help keep Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir off the top of the podium, in favour of Americans Meryl Davis and Charlie White.

In exchange, the American judges would help Russia win gold in the new team event, according to L’Equipe.

“I stay clear of that stuff,” said Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s high performance director. “I have full confidence that the skaters go out and do their job, they will do their job on the ice, the judges will judge it as they see it.”

In the ice dance short program Team Figure Skating event Saturday, Virtue and Moir placed second after Davis and White. The Canadians are in second place behind the Russians. The Americans are fifth.

According to the Canadian Olympic Committee, Virtue and Moir had the same base value in their technical elements as Davis and White, but the Americans earned higher grades of execution for those elements, especially on the twizzles.

L’Equipe’s story, under the headline “Petits arrangements entre amis” — or “Small arrangements between friends” — cited an unnamed Russian coach as saying there was a “proposed barter” between the two countries.

Virtue and Moir didn’t speak with reporters after their practice Saturday afternoon, as they were competing in the team event later in the evening. Davis and White also didn’t stop for the media.

Virtue and Moir are Canada’s Olympic champions from 2010, but were runners-up to their American rivals at both the world championships last spring and the Grand Prix Final in December.

“Our focus going into here is performance on the ice and we’re fully confident the performances will be judged as how they are on the ice,” Slipchuk said. “We can’t get involved in stuff like that, that’s peoples’ opinion and we’re just staying out of it.”

Another judging scandal, however, is the last thing the sport needs after the entire scoring system was overhauled on the heels of Salt Lake.

Russians Yelena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze were awarded gold in 2002 over Canadians Jamie Sale and David Pelletier after the French Skating Federation made a deal with the Russians. Sale and Pelletier were later awarded a joint gold with the Russians.

The old 6.0 scoring system was then replaced in 2004 to make the scoring more objective.

The new system has set technical marks for each required element. There are also component marks — which range from 0 to 10 and replace the old artistic marks — for skating skills, footwork, performance, composition and choreography that still leave room for interpretation.

Under the new system, the highest and lowest scores are dropped.

Virtue and Moir and Davis and White — who train together in Canton, Mich., and share the same coach in Russian Marina Zoueva — have been neck-and-neck since 2010, but the balance in results has tilted more toward the Americans over the past year and a half.

Slipchuk argued that Virtue and Moir are peaking at the just the right time.

“Every event and every performance forward was just another building block,” he said. “We’ll see how they all do here, and leave it on the table here. Like any sport, you’re going to do perfect performances to win Olympic gold, so that would obviously will dictate what happens here.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/1137046/reports-of-u-s-russia-swapping-votes-to-keep-virtue-moir-off-top-of-podium/

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

It's awful that this kind of crap still goes in judging at all.

I missed all the live team figure skating stuff online again. ^o)

darraholic
Member Avatar

Woohoo Gold & Silver for the Canadian Sisters in Ladies' Moguls <3

Yeah Rhi, the sad thing is the American Couple is very talented. They shouldn't need corrupt judging. The American/Canadian dance team are both wonderful skaters.

LoL this Team Event can get confusing. I'm surprised they can swap skaters. We still have the Men, Ladies and Ice Dance Free Skate, but I think Russia is safe for Gold and Canada is has Silver pretty much wrapped up. It's going to be a battle for Bronze between the US, Italy & Japan.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Im finding it so confusing as to when events are happening. I was too spoiled by the games being on Pacific time.

Loving the snowboarding and skiing events!

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Drew
Feb 7 2014, 11:42 AM
Haha. Now we've got company for failed Opening Ceremonies props.
So, they edited out the failed ring from the Russian broadcast of the opening ceremonies with footage of the rings from a rehearsal :lol:

*thisclose* from North Korea territory.
Edited by Drew, Feb 8 2014, 11:16 PM.

Alin89
Member Avatar

im really liking all the events so far.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

NBC edited out the anti-discrimination part of the IOC President's speech. Pathetic.

Alin89
Member Avatar

I hate NBC's coverage of the olympics. I sometimes wish another network could have the rights.

Drew
Member Avatar
Ewok

Such an awesome day of competition today!

The Speedskating 1500 Short Track and 500 Metre were edge of your seat viewing. The mens Moguls were absolutely harrowing! Another great record breaking gold medal run for Bilodeau! Especially after he was screwing up Final 1 and 2. PHEW!

darraholic
Member Avatar

All the Men were probably thrilled that Plushenko withdrew and retired. The Japanese skater and Patrick Chan are in a league of their own. LoL at the 9 way race for Bronze.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply