Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guy Wilson Talks The “Days” Gay Engagement; Also Eric Martsolf, Greg Vaughan, Galen Gering share their thoughts
Topic Started: Feb 17 2014, 04:45 PM (2,659 Views)
iheartwilson
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 18 2014, 12:19 AM
stormymac
Feb 17 2014, 11:32 PM
Ellie
Feb 17 2014, 11:20 PM
The connection I'm making is that at the same time they were removed from the NBC promo, they have gotten two recent exclusive interviews with gay press outlets. This is a first on daytime TV, yet they're giving the interviews to specialized outlets. If Days really wanted to advertise this 'first', these wouldn't be the obvious choices imo.
Question, since I know absolutely nothing about PR, which happens more, a show or an actor solicits interviews or a media outlet requests interviews? Or are they about equal?
The show almost always arranges the interviews. You'll sometimes get the 'regulars' requesting, but the only reason they can do this is that the show has used them as media outlets in the past.

For example, when you see a movie actress on shows like Regis and Kelly, Ellen, etc, that is because the movie's publicist has called those shows to request their guest be on. (The analogy here being that Days as a show is like the movie.)

Really getting annoyed with this "gay press" talk.

The Advocate & The Backlot - Gay News

Soap Nation & Soap Opera Digest - Mainstream soap news

50/50
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stormymac
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 18 2014, 12:19 AM
stormymac
Feb 17 2014, 11:32 PM
Ellie
Feb 17 2014, 11:20 PM
The connection I'm making is that at the same time they were removed from the NBC promo, they have gotten two recent exclusive interviews with gay press outlets. This is a first on daytime TV, yet they're giving the interviews to specialized outlets. If Days really wanted to advertise this 'first', these wouldn't be the obvious choices imo.
Question, since I know absolutely nothing about PR, which happens more, a show or an actor solicits interviews or a media outlet requests interviews? Or are they about equal?
The show almost always arranges the interviews. You'll sometimes get the 'regulars' requesting, but the only reason they can do this is that the show has used them as media outlets in the past.

For example, when you see a movie actress on shows like Regis and Kelly, Ellen, etc, that is because the movie's publicist has called those shows to request their guest be on. (The analogy here being that Days as a show is like the movie.)

Thanks for the clarification.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 18 2014, 12:21 AM
iheartwilson
Feb 17 2014, 10:16 PM
Kaha
Feb 17 2014, 10:14 PM
Ellie
Feb 17 2014, 09:38 PM
Days is giving lots of exclusives to the gay press (sorry, lack of a better term.) It will help promote the story among that community, but at the same time it shows that they view this as 'not ready for prime time', imo.
Maybe that press is the only outlets interested in the story. Is Michael Fairman's Soap Nation Live considered gay press?
Not that I'm aware of.

They've been in SOD more than once since Guy came. Don't consider them 'gay press' either.
I was talking specifically about the engagement. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Yes, Guy Wilson has and will continue to give interviews, but for this milestone, it seems that the show is avoiding mainstream press, imo.
There really isn't enough evidence to conclude that. They're only engaged in the storyline. It's not time to promote wedding episodes yet. Promoting those will be the true test.

Ellie

I really wouldn't count SOD in this discussion as they cover everything that occurs in the plot of the shows, with very few exceptions.

james0479
Member Avatar

Wow Guy looks so much more attractive in this video than on the show, IMO.

lisawinnie

I have the lastest flash player but it still want work I tried it on my phone and it worked so could someone please put it up on youtube if you can.

Kaha
Member Avatar

lisawinnie
Feb 18 2014, 10:15 AM
I have the lastest flash player but it still want work I tried it on my phone and it worked so could someone please put it up on youtube if you can.
If you're outside of USA you can't watch. I don't know why they do that but it's restrictive to region.

Graceland
Member Avatar

Here:

Edited by Graceland, Feb 18 2014, 04:30 PM.

sunnyways
Member Avatar

Guy's Interview: I love me some GuyW...he is adorbs but you know...he really needs to you know talk to an interview coach and you know, work on his you know, interview style. You know? lol still love him!

EricM: Very good comments, I really liked what he had to say. Thank dog he's nothing like Brady. :)

GregV: You know, I think he should, you know, join GuyW at that interviewing 101 workshop. ;) But love that he talks to his children about sexuality and loving others for who they are.

GalenG: Definitely more interesting to listen to than Rafe!

Thanks Graceland for putting this up I wouldn't have been to watch these interviews otherwise.
Edited by sunnyways, Feb 18 2014, 06:17 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

TV Source Magazine (mainstream TV news) will be interviewing Guy on Thursday.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

iheartwilson
Feb 18 2014, 06:31 PM
TV Source Magazine (mainstream TV news) will be interviewing Guy on Thursday.
TV Source Magazine is Soap Opera Source re-branded. I think most would still consider them a soap site.

Kaha
Member Avatar

sunnyways
Feb 18 2014, 06:17 PM
Guy's Interview: I love me some GuyW...he is adorbs but you know...he really needs to you know talk to an interview coach and you know, work on his you know, interview style. You know? lol still love him!

EricM: Very good comments, I really liked what he had to say. Thank dog he's nothing like Brady. :)

GregV: You know, I think he should, you know, join GuyW at that interviewing 101 workshop. ;) But love that he talks to his children about sexuality and loving others for who they are.

Thanks Graceland for putting this up I wouldn't have been to watch these interviews otherwise.
Guy Wilson is articulate. Did you listen to his interview with Michael Fairman? He didn't say "you know," alot or at all. I don't know why he was nervious here.

Ellie

Guy will be doing a number of interviews on Thursday including DR.

My point was not that they are doing no mainstream interviews, though there really haven't been many lately. It was that right after they were omitted from the promo, two gay press sites (please, anyone give me a more PC term if there is one) got big exclusive interviews about the engagement. I was remarking that it seemed to me that for a 'first' like this on Daytime, NBC was playing the extremely safe route and not advertising this news in the mainstream press.

Kaha
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 18 2014, 09:44 PM

My point was not that they are doing no mainstream interviews, though there really haven't been many lately. It was that right after they were omitted from the promo, two gay press sites (please, anyone give me a more PC term if there is one) got big exclusive interviews about the engagement. I was remarking that it seemed to me that for a 'first' like this on Daytime, NBC was playing the extremely safe route and not advertising this news in the mainstream press.
I think saying gay media or LGBT press if fine. The Backlot identifies itself as "Corner of Hollywood and Gay." And everyone knows that the Advocate focuses on LGBT rights and news. So, using gay press or media is an accurate description of a niche market, and not an insult or un-PC (I seriously hate that term).

sunnyways
Member Avatar

Kaha
Feb 18 2014, 09:07 PM
sunnyways

Quote:

Guy Wilson is articulate. Did you listen to his interview with Michael Fairman? He didn't say "you know," alot or at all. I don't know why he was nervious here. .

I did listen to him (link found here at DR) on MF's interview and thought he did great...but there were some 'you knows'...however having said that, I think that the more he interviews the better he will get. Even though he has been acting/guesting in some popular mainstream shows, I think GW is fairly new to being interviewed. I was trying to 'witty' in my last post, but upon re-reading it does sound like I'm slamming Guy which is definitely not my intention. I am a devout WilSon shipper after all... :D

Okay, not quite sure how to fix this post so that it's me posting and not Kaha...
Edited by sunnyways, Feb 19 2014, 12:14 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kaha
Member Avatar

sunnyways
Feb 19 2014, 12:11 AM
Kaha
Feb 18 2014, 09:07 PM
sunnyways

Quote:

Guy Wilson is articulate. Did you listen to his interview with Michael Fairman? He didn't say "you know," alot or at all. I don't know why he was nervious here. .

I did listen to him (link found here at DR) on MF's interview and thought he did great...but there were some 'you knows'...however having said that, I think that the more he interviews the better he will get. Even though he has been acting/guesting in some popular mainstream shows, I think GW is fairly new to being interviewed. I was trying to 'witty' in my last post, but upon re-reading it does sound like I'm slamming Guy which is definitely not my intention. I am a devout WilSon shipper after all... :D

Okay, not quite sure how to fix this post so that it's me posting and not Kaha...
You didn't come off like you were slamming him. I was just pointing out that I find him really charming and good at interviews. He did say "you know" a lot in this interview but somehow I didn't notice that at his interview with Michael Fairman. Maybe I was mesmerized by his sexy voice. But he did look really cute. I wish days stops dressing in these dowdy way. He has a totally hot body, why not show it off. They should also fix his hair. Days has the worst stylists ever.

Graceland
Member Avatar

I don't think Guy is used to doing these kinds of interviews. He's obviously very smart, and he comes from a well-educated background. He has great writing skills. Again, I think it's just the press attention he's suddenly getting and figuring out how to deal with it. At least he's excited, and he's obviously passionate about what he's doing.

Graceland
Member Avatar

Ellie

What mainstream press did Massey do? Freddie and Guy have done interviews together. I don't remember Chandler and Freddie ever doing that, and they've done a lot of photoshoots together. The engagement was a secret. Wait until the wedding week. That'll give us some idea as to whether NBC is suddenly giving a couple a low-profile. I'm not sure what the issue is with "gay press".

BTW, this isn't a first. It's been done before. There was already a gay wedding on "All My Children" . There are gay couples currently on daytime making out. "All My Children" had lesbians. Days has yet to have lesbian characters.

LonePirate
Member Avatar

I wonder if Days going to the gay press is to prevent GH from doing the same thing to promote its gay storyline. With gay marriage being a timely news story right now, this story is topical and Days got lucky when they wrote these scripts 5-6 months ago.

Will&Sonny

Ellie

I would say something like "sites that focus on social issues that are particularly relevant to the LGBT community", but I do realize that it's much easier to just say "gay press". While I don't find the use of "gay press" to be offensive, per se, I don't like the sound of it, so I can see where iheartwilson is coming from there. Blame the people who say things like "that's 'gay'" for that kind of reaction -- thanks to that phrase, it's hard to read things like "gay press" the way that they're likely meant to be read -- as "press that focuses on social issues that are particularly relevant to the LGBT community" -- instead of reading it in a more dismissive "press that's 'gay'" way.

As for the greater debate about how NBC is (or isn't) promoting this event, I don't necessarily agree that they're trying to hide it (nor do I necessarily disagree -- I think that it's too soon to tell, personally), but I will respectfully suggest that it might help if you clarified what "mainstream press" is supposed to mean. I take that as a reference to places like Entertainment Weekly or TV Guide -- places that report entertainment news in general instead of focusing on either soaps or LGBT hot topics, therefore reaching a much wider audience -- but since others seem to be taking it as a reference to soap-related sites versus LGBT-hot-topic sites (which is not how you seem to be intending for your comments to be interpreted), further clarification might be in order, just to save yourself from having to further defend your point. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply