Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Guy Wilson
Topic Started: Feb 20 2014, 04:36 PM (2,585 Views)
Ellie

Can you walk us through your audition process?
It happened very quickly and sort of suddenly - casting reached out to my agent and asked if they could meet with me that very day. I got a call that morning, saying they had just gotten a call from Days and they wanted to meet with me at 3 pm, and hereís eight pages to memorize. I was like, ďWait, whatís this about?Ē (My agent) said, ďHonestly, we donít know. We just found out this morning.Ē I should preface this being saying that I have come close to doing work on the show in the past, so I already knew casting and casting already knew me. Theyíd already met me, so there was already a rapport there. I went in, and I was the only person there. I did my scene for casting, and they sort of alluded to the fact that there might be a recast happening. But to the very end they didnít really reveal to me that it was a recast (for Will). They just said that they wanted to introduce a new component to this important story. That was sort of my pretext. I went to casting, and then I did a work session with producers after that. Two days later I did another work session, and then I did my screen test with Freddie. Then the following day, I learned not just that I was on the show, but that I was the new Will Horton, and thatís when the magnitude of it really hit me. But it happened quickly. It worked out.

Were you familiar with the show before you were hired?
Once that whole casting process ended, I knew I had to get caught up to speed. I had followed Days for a period up until about 2011, then I had fallen off the last couple of years. So I went back and started watching some of the stories and the characters. I soon realized that thereís just so much that I canít learn it all on my own by watching youtube. I watched a few of the clips that really just focused on the breakdown given to me by the writers. And really the best resource is just talking with the other actors and getting caught up to speed through their experiences.

When you took on the role, were there any changes you wanted to make to the character?
No. I did make some choices, but it wasnít based on Chandlerís performances. It was more just on the physicality of Will. Will is growing up. Heís in his early twenties now, and the one aspect I really wanted to consciously put my own stamp on is just making him more mature and more physically masculine. When I was watching Chandler it was more just to sort of see his physicality with Will. I wanted to make him a little bit less...Will is always going to have a bit of a boyish quality to him. Thatís what sort of makes him appealing, but I want him to continue to become more physically imposing as he grows older.

One criticism that Will has been getting the last year or so is that he is very passive. What are your thoughts on that?
I love the way you worded that. I agree. In the context of the other characters, Will has a very tumultuous family. Growing up, so much of what heís had to do has been reactionary. Heís had to survive based on other peopleís choices and other peopleís actions. Going forward, I would like WIll to grow into more of an alpha male role where he is taking action and other people are reacting to him. Thatís a bridge that I want to happen over time.

Another element which fans have noticed is that Will and Sonny havenít really been with anyone else on screen. Most other characters have had many more love interests before taking the trip to the altar.
Youíre correct. Thereís kind of some fun precedent there that they have more or less remained steadfastly dedicated to one another. I donít know. If anything this is just another way to be unpredictable, the fact that they got engaged without trying to murder one another at some point. The fact that they have this bond between them, itís fun to play. I feel like itís a treat for me. What actor actually gets to be part of a healthy committed relationship in daytime? Itís a new challenge unto itself. Being able to play that is kind of exciting. Daytime has been around since the sixties and before, and the fact that new frontiers are being blazed to this day is a testament to the genre and makes me all the more grateful to be a part of it.

Were you aware of the controversy surrounding the Valentine's Day promo?
No. Tell me about that.
The woman who does the promos tweeted that WilSon were initially included but were removed, perhaps due to the Olympics controversy.
No! I wasnít aware of that. Thatís news to me. That does pique my curiosity. Iíll look into that.

Have you worked with anyone unexpected recently?
Oh, good question... (Long pause) Other characters that are longstanding characters have come into Willís orbit. Iíve been working with Rafe and Hope, and I'm getting to connect with those actors and storylines related to them.

You had an abrupt introduction to soap fans, given how the news of your casting broke. Are soap fans what you expected?
I know the soap fans are very dedicated and very passionate. What I hadnít taken into account was social media and how much closer you can be to that passion and excited than ever before. I can see it all right before my eyes as opposed to days past when there was more distant. Itís interesting. I have fun with it. Itís definitely been much more vivacious than I was expecting.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tylerbo20

should have asked about his clothes

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

What an intelligent, articulate young man. I like that he wants Will to have more physical presence and shed some of the passivity. Good interview, Guy! :)

sonwill
Member Avatar

TYFP. Great interview. It was interesting hearing about how he got cast and that DAYS reached out to him.

"The fact that they got engaged without trying to murder one another at some point" That was pretty funny too.

Anyway, he seems like a good guy.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Awww. I really like Guy. He's such a gracious professional, and it's really hard to replace a double Emmy winner. Still, I like him more and more with every appearance, and I like that Will has matured and is not so much a bundle of insecurity any more.

I still miss Chandler sometime, but I think Guy and Freddie have chemistry and I am looking forward to more Will scenes with other characters.
Edited by Honeybees, Feb 20 2014, 05:13 PM.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

If Will is sharing a number of scenes with Hope & Rafe, what's the over/under on whether they'll mostly contain Hope & Rafe in cop mode (of some form - doesn't necessarily have to constantly be on-the-job, just their scenes centered around some sort of crime)?!

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

I like Guy so much more than Chandler...I don't know why but I really do.

OliveAnn

Renee Dimera
Feb 20 2014, 04:47 PM
What an intelligent, articulate young man. I like that he wants Will to have more physical presence and shed some of the passivity. Good interview, Guy! :)
I had the exact same thoughts reading this interview: articulate and professional. I really like that he has clear ideas about the direction that he as an actor wants to take his character to. Often, when young actors are asked that same question, they usually have no idea or say that they're simply "going with the flow". It's nice to see a change.

And kudos to him for reaching out to his colleagues when researching the show's history. Not only is it a good way to get caught up, but it's also a nice way of establishing off-screen relationships, which make on-screen interactions much easier.

spartan
Member Avatar

Wow. How old is Guy, just out of curiosity? Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. He handled that extremely well. Loved his thoughtful and articulate answers. He was very respectful. Good for him. Hope he's enjoying working there.
Edited by spartan, Feb 20 2014, 05:24 PM.

OliveAnn

spartan
Feb 20 2014, 05:24 PM
Wow. How old is Guy, just out of curiosity?
I think he was born in 1985.

greeneyedgirl
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Feb 20 2014, 05:41 PM
spartan
Feb 20 2014, 05:24 PM
Wow. How old is Guy, just out of curiosity?
I think he was born in 1985.
WOW he is a year younger than me but seems REALLY young. I do like him. He sounds like a total sweetheart.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Supergirl your avi is amazing...I watched that match early this morning...so happy for J. Jones and Canada...REDEMPTION against Sweden!

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"Right now what I like most about Aiden is Hope" ~ DC

Mitchapalooza
Feb 20 2014, 06:18 PM
Supergirl your avi is amazing...I watched that match early this morning...so happy for J. Jones and Canada...REDEMPTION against Sweden!
there must be something in the air their team & Rachel Homan's team were breathing when they practiced together - both have now gone through their respective competitions undefeated!
have you seen the pics of her daughter all dressed in Canadian wear? too cute for words!

...and now back to discussions about Guy's interview. lol.

michr544125

Nice interview with Guy. So glad you asked him about the promo. That made my day. I had a feeling he had no idea he was going to be Will until the last minute. Seems people throughout he was just going to be a new love interest for Freddie. Hard to tell but sounds like not much is coming for Will and he more or less will be supporting others and possibly even supporting Sonny. About the maturity thing, I do feel Freddie and Guy have a much more mature chemistry together and are really hot. But I feel like the kissing was so much hotter the first time after Will turned down the proposal but now it's back to just smacks again. I hope that's not for the duration again.
Edited by michr544125, Feb 20 2014, 06:38 PM.

Ellie

I was personally fascinated by his answer about the audition process. To me, this points to it being a very sudden decision by Days. Didn't they say that a talent came along too good to pass up? Yet this doesn't really sound like they were holding ongoing auditions, then they happened upon their man so they cast him. Sounds more like they suddenly needed to fill the role quickly.

justforfun

Great interview! Guy is definitely making Will more mature, which was needed imo to be able to get engaged. They are too young to get married really, but it is a soap, so whatever. I have enjoyed his approach to Will and really interesting to hear how the process went down.

Kaha
Member Avatar

I love Guy. He seems like a grounded, intelligent and genuinely nice guy. I think he's done an admirable job and I am sure he will own the role in time.

Having said that, I am conflicted about Guy's Will. While I like Guy. Chandler's Will had a vulnerability and innocence about him that I miss. I also miss the little intimate touches, the way Will looked at Sonny. Will's hidden hostility to his mom (to be fair we haven't seen Sami and Will entract that much since Guy took over the role, but I don't see the vague hostility disguised as a humor. Guy's Will is more sexually forward than Chandler's Will.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

"Daytime has been around since the 60s and before."

Um... understatement. I need to sit down and have a little soap opera history chat with this boy. lol

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 20 2014, 06:40 PM
I was personally fascinated by his answer about the audition process. To me, this points to it being a very sudden decision by Days. Didn't they say that a talent came along too good to pass up? Yet this doesn't really sound like they were holding ongoing auditions, then they happened upon their man so they cast him. Sounds more like they suddenly needed to fill the role quickly.
TPTB probably realized how awful Chandler really was.

PatNS
Member Avatar

Great questions and he gave very thoughtful answers.

Thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply