Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Friday, February 28th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 28 2014, 01:44 AM (18,247 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Discuss!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

Daaawww! I love that they've let these kids age naturally on the show. I'm attached to them.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

I actually don't remember when this was.

MissFancyFace
Member Avatar
Feel the HAIDEN Heat!!

lysie
Feb 28 2014, 01:44 AM
Posted Image

Discuss!
Aaaaaaaawwwwwwww!! That is beyond A-DOR-ABLE!! :wub: I want more Abe and Theo. :cheer:

WilSon
Member Avatar

awwwwww thats cute gotta love some Abe and Theo!

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

As a former special ed teacher and a mom with a son on the autism spectrum, it drives me absolutely batty that Theo is supposed to be autistic. I cracked up last summer when he was in the park playing realistically with a superhero action figure. I know he's just a child actor, but the writers obviously don't know what they're doing with Theo. Oh, when he knew his mom died... give me a break.

Real life lawyers get annoyed with lawyers on TV. Doctors & nurses get annoyed with medical shows. Parents of special needs children, especially autism because it's so misunderstood, get annoyed with TV portrayal. It's normal. But I FF through Theo scenes now if I'm watching it on DVR.

If you read this whole rant, :blah: God bless you.

Ellie

iheartwilson
Feb 28 2014, 06:46 AM
As a former special ed teacher and a mom with a son on the autism spectrum, it drives me absolutely batty that Theo is supposed to be autistic. I cracked up last summer when he was in the park playing realistically with a superhero action figure. I know he's just a child actor, but the writers obviously don't know what they're doing with Theo. Oh, when he knew his mom died... give me a break.

Real life lawyers get annoyed with lawyers on TV. Doctors & nurses get annoyed with medical shows. Parents of special needs children, especially autism because it's so misunderstood, get annoyed with TV portrayal. It's normal. But I FF through Theo scenes now if I'm watching it on DVR.

We interviewed Renee Jones maybe about two years ago and brought this up. She was well aware and said that what happened was that originally, they had a consultant from Autism Speaks on the set whenever Terrell was, and he or she would tell him what to do. If you remember, they recast the part specifically because they thought Terrell could handle this type of work. Anyway, due to a combination of budget cuts and lack of interest (remember it was Dena Higley's pet story, need I say more), they don't have the professional guidance on set now, so it's just kind of done as Theo being this quiet kid.

They could really fix the whole thing imo if they included some lines about "his therapy is really working" or whatever. (I know sadly that's not always the case, but it can happen). I wish they'd just do that rather than stay in this ambiguous state.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Ellie
Feb 28 2014, 07:49 AM
iheartwilson

We interviewed Renee Jones maybe about two years ago and brought this up. She was well aware and said that what happened was that originally, they had a consultant from Autism Speaks on the set whenever Terrell was, and he or she would tell him what to do. If you remember, they recast the part specifically because they thought Terrell could handle this type of work. Anyway, due to a combination of budget cuts and lack of interest (remember it was Dena Higley's pet story, need I say more), they don't have the professional guidance on set now, so it's just kind of done as Theo being this quiet kid.

They could really fix the whole thing imo if they included some lines about "his therapy is really working" or whatever. (I know sadly that's not always the case, but it can happen). I wish they'd just do that rather than stay in this ambiguous state.
Is Theo's autism even mentioned anymore? Newer viewers may not even know he's supposed to be autistic.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

jam6242
Feb 28 2014, 07:51 AM
Is Theo's autism even mentioned anymore? Newer viewers may not even know he's supposed to be autistic.
Not that I've seen, though he's not written exactly like a normal kid. Remember when he had to apologize to Sami, and Abe knelt down next to him and said something like "Say it like we practiced," and he took a while to get the sentence out.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Well, if Philip's leg can grow back....

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

Ellie
iheartwilson

Thanks for the back story. I went about 15 years w/o watching. Started again in September 2012 and then went on YouTube to catch all the Will episodes I had missed and got bits and pieces of other storylines but obviously I missed a lot.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

jam6242
Ellie
iheartwilson

I don't think I've heard it mentioned since Daysaster and then it may have just been alluded to.

Kaha
Member Avatar

iheartwilson

Maybe he completely recovered. They used the same miracle that made Johnny's eye to grow back.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

Kaha
Feb 28 2014, 08:44 AM
iheartwilson

Maybe he completely recovered. They used the same miracle that made Johnny's eye to grow back.
Soaps can make anything happen. ;)

blueskies
Member Avatar

There is a range, perhaps Theo is closer to Aspergers (or what was Aspergers).
Edited by blueskies, Feb 28 2014, 09:59 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Halloween Family
Member Avatar

Matt
Feb 28 2014, 08:30 AM
Lexie did cut out gluten so...

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Matt
Don't forget Johnny's eye.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

SoapGal1
Feb 28 2014, 10:12 AM
Matt
Don't forget Johnny's eye.
Well Johnny's eye technically didn't grow back, he has a very expensive 'glass eye' that looks real or so we are told....

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Ellie
Feb 28 2014, 07:54 AM
jam6242
Not that I've seen, though he's not written exactly like a normal kid. Remember when he had to apologize to Sami, and Abe knelt down next to him and said something like "Say it like we practiced," and he took a while to get the sentence out.
I think the last time there was any real focus on it was when Lexie died. There hasn't been much after that - maybe a few "picking up Theo after his therapy", but that's it.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I still say Johnny should've had to wear a patch so that Kayla can always look at him wistfully whenever she sees him at the Pub.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply