Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Variety: Corday Prod. starting online soaps biz
Topic Started: Apr 4 2014, 01:58 PM (2,963 Views)
DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Variety ‏@Variety
‘Days of Our Lives’ Producer Launches Digital Soaps Venture (Exclusive) http://on.variety.com/1il7ll7
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Apr 4 2014, 01:58 PM
Variety ‏@Variety
‘Days of Our Lives’ Producer Launches Digital Soaps Venture (Exclusive) http://on.variety.com/1il7ll7

ETA : Not sure if this belongs here or in its own thread. Corday, Meng, and Chappell are attached.
Interesting. Not sure how I feel about Chappell's involvement (although I know she has a lot of experience with web soaps) or the interactive fan involvement. Is this just going to end up another project showcasing Chappell and her friends?

lysie
Member Avatar

jam6242
Apr 4 2014, 02:22 PM
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

ETA : Not sure if this belongs here or in its own thread. Corday, Meng, and Chappell are attached.
Interesting. Not sure how I feel about Chappell's involvement (although I know she has a lot of experience with web soaps) or the interactive fan involvement. Is this just going to end up another project showcasing Chappell and her friends?
I feel like the big takeaway here is that this is probably Meng's project to keep him occupied because he's not doing as much at days. That is speculation.

mer4santo
Member Avatar
I own you bitch.

lysie
Apr 4 2014, 02:24 PM
jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

I feel like the big takeaway here is that this is probably Meng's project to keep him occupied because he's not doing as much at days. That is speculation.
I heard you must know something.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

lysie
jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

Allow me to further spec that it will keep Corday busy with something outside of Days.

jam6242
Member Avatar

lysie
jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

Yeah, he can't be very busy at Days if he has time to start this up. Maybe he's running out of ideas for coffee table books! If Corday is going to go digital he could start by putting up some classic Days episodes. Although I suppose this new format will be less expensive.

lysie
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Apr 4 2014, 02:27 PM
lysie
jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

Allow me to further spec that it will keep Corday busy with something outside of Days.
Nah. I don't think he does anything at days anyway and I doubt he'll do anything with this.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Lisa de Cazotte definitely sent Meng to a timeout that he's never escaped from. I'm surprised that he was the one to comment on KDP and Eileen Davidson coming to Days. I thought they were just shipping him around on all of their tours to keep him busy.

This seems like a serious and well-thought-out endeavor, IMO. I guess we won't know until we start getting more details, but this isn't jumping into something cluelessly. Attaching Crystal Chappell is brilliant. I noticed that it didn't list her as acting in the series when it listed the million things that she will be doing, so I don't think this is supposed to showcase her. I don't like CC much after all of the shit that she's pulled, but this goes to show that she still has a good relationship with Corday and Meng.

lysie
Member Avatar

mer4santo
Apr 4 2014, 02:25 PM
lysie
jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

I heard you must know something.
Well I did have that conference call yesterday with Greg and Ken. #iveneverspokentoeitherofthemever

thepadange

DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

Shawn Christian ‏@ShawnC4real 9m
Way to go Girl!! RT @OBP_IT: Announcement! @crystalchappell to partner with Corday Production & (cont) http://tl.gd/na7ap7
https://twitter.com/ShawnC4real/status/452166917311066112

Well... Daniel will be their first leading man :lol:
Edited by thepadange, Apr 4 2014, 02:58 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Pretty surprised to see Corday Productions doing something new. Chappell, eh, but it makes me wonder if they are going to go with her subscription model.

thepadange

jam6242
DiMeraFan67
Variety ‏@Variety

Interactive fan involvement would be interesting, not that new though - I really liked Australian "Let The Blood Run Free" .
Not so sure how I feel about the "interactive" sponsor/ advertiser role, though. Product placement (if that's what they'll do) can be (and usually is) quite annoying IMO.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Phoenix Fyre

God, I hope Corday takes Chester Cheeto and Mumbles McGee off Days and puts them on whatever this crap is going to be.

MissLola
Member Avatar

Phoenix Fyre
Apr 4 2014, 04:12 PM
God, I hope Corday takes Chester Cheeto and Mumbles McGee off Days and puts them on whatever this crap is going to be.
Who's Mumbles McGee?

OliveAnn

Crystal Chappell is attached to this? Corday must have forgiven her for what happened back when she was on Days the last time. I'm all for forgiveness, but this seems weird. I mean, it's one thing to forgive unprofessional conduct, but completely another to take a risk and get profesionally involved with a person who not only aided a bullying attack on her co-star, but also wrote a biography in which she slandered everyone she's worked with there. She appeard to be in a better place right now and she is no doubt the expert in net soaps, but you can't just erase the words from that biography, you know?

Also, will she now be putting all of her shows on that site?

trojangal
Member Avatar

Am I the only one that finds the Corday& Chapelle thing strange? I always thought CC was
Tomlin's girl

lysie
Member Avatar

trojangal
Apr 4 2014, 06:29 PM
Am I the only one that finds the Corday& Chapelle thing strange? I always thought CC was
Tomlin's girl
I think it's very strange.

MysteryPoster

I have not posted on here in many years, however, I have been a frequent observer of the site. Let me preface this post by saying that I am a fan of Crystal Chappell and am pleased to hear that she will once again be working with Corday Productions. I can only hope this will eventually lead to the return of Dr. Carly Manning on Days of Our Lives.

I know on this site I have the minority opinion, but I feel that Crystal Chappell has been given an unfair rap for the whole twitter gate scandal. Crystal never spoke an ill word toward Kristian Alfonso during the whole twitter ordeal, however, she did make reference to Nelson Bronco's freedom of speech during his tirade against Kristian Alfonso, an actress who many, not just Chappell, will attest was responsible for Chappell's dismissal.

I have heard from individuals who worked on the NBC Burbank Days set during Chappell's return visit from 09-11. What started off as an exciting return, quickly fumbled, partly due to poor writing and partly because of Alfonso's hesitation to play the story as written.

Ever since Peter Reckell returned to DAYS in 1995 Bo and Hope were the "it" couple. Days attempted numerous versions of a triangle with the couple after Reckell came back. Bo's romance with Billie was doomed upon Reckell's return. Reckell and Alfonso had an amazing history/chemistry as Bo and Hope that returned with both in those roles. Bo and Billie as a popular couple with rooting entrance ended with Robert Kelker-Kelly's summer 1995 dismissal and Lisa Rinna's exit a few months later.

I don't think DAYS grasped this. They tried to recreate Bo and Billie as a popular couple, first with Reckell and Krista Allen as Billie. An utter failure that resulted in Billie becoming a scheming villainess. When Lisa Rinna returned in 2002 they attempted to redeem Billie and tested the waters with a Bo/Billie reunion with the original Billie in the role. Another failure which resulted in Rinna being dismissed a few months after she returned. Reilly returned in 2003 and attempted yet another version of the Hope/Bo/Billie triangle, this time with Julie Pinson as Billie in 2004. Once again, the audience despised Bo with any other woman but Hope and while Billie wasn't reduced to a villainess this time, she was reduced to a glorified extra after her storyline with Bo and Hope ended, being written out shortly thereafter.

Enter Crystal Chappell as Carly Manning in October 2009. Peter Reckell's Bo and Crystal Chappell's Carly were the DAYS it couple from 1990-1992 and generated a huge fan base during this time. Some would even argue that Bo/Billie would have ever happened had Reckell remained with DAYS as Kelker-Kelly's Bo never jived with Chappell's Carly ultimately resulting in Carly reuniting with Lawrence and leaving the show.

For the first time since 1995, DAYS writers had the opportunity to put Bo in a relationship with someone other than Hope, opening both characters up to new storyline. Some fans recalling Reckell/Chappell's popularity in the early 90's bought Bo and Carly as a couple. The Bo/Carly reunion had a sizable fan base, while definitely not on the caliber as the Bo/Hope fan base, giving the writers and opportunity to write for them. Admittedly, they wrote for the couple incorrectly. Instead of having Bo and Hope divorce and Bo move in with Carly, they had Carly live with a separated Bo. The reunion was rushed, but the writers simply seized on the opportunity to write for Bo with someone else. It was the first chance they had to do so in the 15 years since Reckell returned. While die-hard Bo and Hope fans had a hard time grasping Bo and Carly, so did Kristian Alfonso. The countless interviews Alfonso did with the soap press after the Bo/Carly reunion happened proved this. On may occasions she voiced concern over how the audience could even compare the Bo/Carly romance to the Bo/Hope romance. She made mention to the press the Bo/Carly together was unreal. Alfonso voiced concerns to the writers about this, any cast member and crew member (ask Bill Hayes and Nadia Bjorin) will attest to this. She was upset. By early 2010, Chappell had recaptured her role as DAYS's leading lady. She had tons of airtime, a huge storyline, and a successful pairing with Alfonso's screen partner. Carly had become the Hope character on many levels. Alfonso and Chappell had never been on the show together. Alfonso had left the show during Bo/Carly's early 1990's storyline. In essence, Carly and Hope had the same role on the show, albeit at different times. Others, not just Chappell, have alluded to how upset Alfonso was when the scenes were filmed where Bo and Carly made love. Alfonso's concerns were voiced to TPTB, prompting Carly to be moved into a new storyline (Daniel/Chloe/Phillip) and having very few scenes with Bo, despite the fact that the couple were still together. In the height of the Carly/Bo/Hope triangle, Peter Reckell was written out for six weeks and when he returned the storyline had lost all stem and the story shifted to Hope's nighttime adventures, leading up to her eventual reunion with Bo and Bo's preceding break up with Carly. Not only had Alfonso grown to dislike the story, but she had grown to dislike Chappell as well, and not just for the storyline they were both involved in. Maybe rightfully so, Alfonso also felt as if Chappell was more passionate about her web series Venice than being on a show that paid the bills.

With a two episode break up with Bo, and maybe handful of scenes with Bo and Hope thereafter, Carly was firmly out of Bo/Hope's orbit. She was given a powerful drug storyline and was subsequently dismissed a mere nine months after Carly and Bo's break up. The new writers had a story for Carly lined up, Ken Corday ordered Chappell's dismissal. No executive could persuade Ken to change his mind (Greg Meng also wanted to keep Chappell), Ken wanted Chappell gone. In Chappell's perspective, Alfonso's "constant concerns" with Chappell led to Corday wanting her gone. While Alfonso did not fire Chappell her constant concerns did indeed turn THE BOSS off on her.

Now, imagine you work for a company. A senior co-worker is tight with the boss. You're the newer person in the office. The senior co-worker has concerns with you and your work ethic. She continuously shares these concerns with the boss. The boss eventually dismisses you and states that they are taking the position in a different direction. You aren't going to be the least bit upset with this senior co-worker? When a fellow friend bashes the person who has continuously complained about you to the boss and sticks up for you, are you going to be the one that tells him to shut up! No, you're going to shut up and let him say his piece of your behalf. You're going to be hurt. Chappell never bashed Alfonso, but she certainly didn't defend her during Nelson's tirade and probably rightfully so. In her perspective, Alfonso's constant concerns cast her in a bad light to the boss, who ultimately terminated her. Anyone would be upset. She lost her job, her livelihood. She had every right to be upset.

Maybe Chappell could have done things differently, but she was hurt. She didn't bash her co-worker. She stated freedom speech and wasn't about to defend a co-worker who had constantly complained about her. I wouldn't either, and neither, would many others. Kristian Alfonso didn't fire Crystal Chappell, but she did effectively end the Hope/Bo/Carly storyline that could have been a huge draw and carried the show for several years (B&B's Brooke/Ridge/Taylor anyone) Look what happened after Hope/Bo/Carly ended. Bo and Hope reunited, had no storyline, Peter Reckell left the show because the writers told him they wouldn't be writing for him (because they really couldn't) and Kristian Alfonso has languished on the backburner for nearly two years.

I'm not saying Kristian Alfonso is a bad person. She cares a lot about her show. She wants it to succeed. When she feels something is hurting her show (Bo/Carly) she's going to voice her concern. She did. Chappell rubbed Alfonso the wrong way and Alfonso rubbed Chappell the wrong way. It's a matter of co-workers not liking each other. It happens all the time. One ended up with a job, the other did not. Chappell being begged as being a bully, idiot, bitch, etc. because she didn't jump to that co-workers defense is ignorant!

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

^Im not gonna quote that post since its quite lengthy.
CC may not have directly bashed Kristian during Nelsongate, but she sure did take many stabs at Kristian in her "book". And she sure as hell didn't try to dissipate the Nelsongate situation. If anything, she was giving him the green light to keep going and keep saying negative & untrue things about Kristian.
CC also states in her book that Kristian didn't get her fired (which may actually be one of the few truths hidden in those double-spaced pages).
As for Kristian not wanting to play the story as told, that sounds like another pro-CC propaganda bit. Kristian isn't the type of person to go cry to Ken about Hope being written as part of a triangle (or any other story, for that matter).
I'm just going to stop here because I don't really feel like starting up another CC vs Kristian argument when the subject has been discussed ad nausium, thought I felt like a few things needed to be said! I will say this one last thing, however: you made a lot of assumptions about Kristian, many of which seem to come from your interpretations of what she said.

ETA: As for the last sentence, CC is seen by many ad a bitch & a bully through her own actions on twitter and other avenues (like her book) - & I'm not talking about just things related to Kristian.
Edited by Supergirlx2, Apr 4 2014, 10:54 PM.

MysteryPoster

I absolutely admire your dedication to Kristian Alfonso. I'm confident she loves the show. Although I'm enjoying her storyline with Aiden at the moment, I haven't been a fan of Hope's since the days when she thought she was Gina and had amnesia. However, I've enjoyed her without being with Bo more than I have in a long time, just as I enjoyed Bo so much better when he wasn't with Hope.

With that said, I apologize if you thought my post was to bash Kristian. It was not, the purpose of my post was to defend Crystal. I don't agree with all of what Crystal does. Personally, I almost feel like she favors her GLBT fans more than her straight fans. I think her involvement with GLBT community is commendable, I almost think she's obsessed with it as she never plays straight in anything anymore. Just saying.

In regards to the twittergate sandle, I've been fortunate enough to visit in the Burbank studios many times. I got to know two of the line producers fairly well, and in fact, spent some time with them at the studio in late 2010 (they were kind enough to take us around on several occasions). From their perspective, Chappell's description in her book was fairly accurate (With anything, no one can say for sure what happened without being there) and according to them Alfonso's not the sweetest pea in the world either. In fact, during our visit she was working and I found her to be very standoffish and not very friendly (in her defense she was working and probably focused on the scenes she was taping).

One of the most interesting things I took from this was when my friends spoke about the scenes where Hope and Carly got into at Maggie's house after Mickey passed away and started screaming at each and talking over each other. Both of my friends worked that day and one on those scenes. The two had words before the scenes about the direction. The actresses were not yelling at each other, but both women displayed a bit of directness and sarcasm with each other. During the scene, they both ad-libbed and went off script briefly. After the scenes my friend said you could hear a pin drop. No one said a word and cast members had this look on their face like "What just happened." It was obvious the two were not happy with each other and both retreated back to their dressing rooms without saying anything to each other and not much else to anybody else either. The producers felt the scenes turned out great, though.

Okay, I'm done babbling. I'm glad Kristian Alfonso does have a storyline again (It's about time) and Chappell and Corday have reconciled. On a lighter note, I do find it ironic that Kristian's new screen partner Daniel Cosgrove was one of Chappell's long term love interests on Guiding Light when she played Olivia Spencer and he played Bill Lewis. Maybe Daniel can play peacemaker to the two divas, LOL.

What's interested is that when the two first met when Crystal first came back they were very friendly and cordial and genuinely happy to work together. No one really knew what led up to the two's mutual dislike of each other because Chappell had only been back three or four months when those scenes were taped.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply