Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings Report for the Week of March 31 – April 4, 2014
Topic Started: Apr 11 2014, 01:22 PM (1,910 Views)
Hugo
Member Avatar

I was expecting gains for the Wilson Wedding, at least in the young demos. That's disappointing.
Maybe Nick should have been invited to the wedding after all, there wasn't enough drama/conflict to glue the viewers to the screen.

I've been enjoying the writing since Tomlin/Whitesell were named head writers but I agree that the past few weeks were not good.
May sweeps start in 2 weeks, I hope the storylines get more exciting or the ratings will be at an all-time low when Eileen Davidson returns in 3 and a half months.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

badaddiction
Member Avatar

ShaneDOOLFan
Apr 11 2014, 08:01 PM
They really didnt promote the wedding and the loss of viewership from the previous week isn't that much to write about to be honest when you compare the other three soaps who lost HUNDREDS of thousands of viewers from the previous week. Though DOOL is boring, it is still quite stable with it's audience.
The only show to lose 100,000 was GH and I would think that's because the show had HUGE gains the previous week due to a big event/reveal, so the loss is not surprising.

I don't know if I expected HUGE gains for the WilSon wedding, but I certainly didn't expect the actual day the wedding aired to have the lowest viewership of the week.

And yes, Days overall is incredibly boring.

Right now, my Soap du jour is B&B. And I'm loving it. It feels contemporary, exciting, and most of all soapy.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

They got married too soon after only getting engaged a little over 2 and a half months ago. There didn't seem to be any credible or compelling reason why the wedding was happening then which made it hard for me at least to get invested. Everything felt rushed and while there were a couple touching moments it just seemed like it fell flat.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Miss Rhi
Apr 12 2014, 07:03 AM
They got married too soon after only getting engaged a little over 2 and a half months ago. There didn't seem to be any credible or compelling reason why the wedding was happening then which made it hard for me at least to get invested. Everything felt rushed and while there were a couple touching moments it just seemed like it fell flat.
I really believe that they hurried the Wilson wedding in order to set them up as a family to get full custody of Ari when Gabi leaves the show in June. There really was no other reason for them to get married at this point.

At this point the show is flat and boring with the same stories going in circles week after week. They really need to move things along if they want ratings to improve.

michr544125

The other problem with the Wilson wedding, many fans are probably not identifying to new Will. There was no build up to him nor to Wilson before this wedding. Looking back at al of this in hindsight, there was no reason for the recast when they didn't build up new Will nor NewWilson. Wilson only were used the past two months to be thrown into a wedding that had no story and no substance surrounding it. I have a feeling part of the lack of interest are fans not caring about NewWilson. Ratings were fine at all otter times for Wilson. As a matter of fact they boomed ever since Wilson went to the forefront but have tanked since they went on the back burner with no existence and since Chandler was sent packing. I am not saying Wilson make or break ratings but I do think they helped greatly past couple of years. I just think beyond terrible writing, fans aren't identifying to Wilson since the recast. This is nothing against Guy at all but to me it's as if Guy is just a stick figure that was thrown in to stand next to Freddie. While, I think Freddie and Guy have great chemistry at times, that can't be enough to make fans be interested. They needed build up. Now again, Wilson get married and they have no follow up. No honeymoon...not even partial love scene??? Are you fucking kidding me? I can only imagine Ejami having a wedding like Wilson and not even getting a honeymoon. I'm not saying Wilson need to be all about sex but sex is important in a relationship especially on a wedding night. There was no reason for this wedding except for Days to stake claim they showed a gay wedding between two guys and so Wilson can fight for custody (as somebody here just said). I just think Wilson is one hot mess right now along with the rest of the show. And that's sad. Wilson started off with so much potential and it's as if they are just being used for Days to stake claims they showed certain things instead of being used for real stories of substance. I also think shit is happening behind the scenes. After the cut Valentine's Day promo, I strongly feel part of the honeymoon was cut. Based on their bedroom scenes lasting two days past couple of months, their honeymoon seemed chopped off so no sex was shown. Fits in with the timing of almost no promotion for the wedding. So of course Wilson didn't help the ratings last week but I really don't think it has to do with homophobic viewers. I just think it's based on everything being wrong with them right now.
Edited by michr544125, Apr 12 2014, 08:27 AM.

OliveAnn

I had 4 problems with the WilSon wedding:
1. Little press coverage. Serisously, how did they expect people to tune in if it wasn't promoted?
2. Both Will and Sonny have huge families, yet they had only 10 guests at the wedding. I know that budget issues make inviting all past actors impossible, but why not invite some? And mention why others were not there. OK, soem were mentioned, but that's not enough.
3. The entire wedding looked like a cheap Las Vegas club party, from the dresses the women wore to all the glitter.
4. I just don't think WilSon are at that level yet where they are so important that I should care about them getting married. They're not as important as, say, Steve and Kayla to warrant so much attention.

marybee50
Member Avatar

michr544125
Apr 12 2014, 08:04 AM
The other problem with the Wilson wedding, many fans are probably not identifying to new Will. There was no build up to him nor to Wilson before this wedding. Looking back at al of this in hindsight, there was no reason for the recast when they didn't build up new Will nor NewWilson. Wilson only were used the past two months to be thrown into a wedding that had no story and no substance surrounding it. I have a feeling part of the lack of interest are fans not caring about NewWilson. Ratings were fine at all otter times for Wilson. As a matter of fact they boomed ever since Wilson went to the forefront but have tanked since they went on the back burner with no existence and since Chandler was sent packing. I am not saying Wilson make or break ratings but I do think they helped greatly past couple of years. I just think beyond terrible writing, fans aren't identifying to Wilson since the recast. This is nothing against Guy at all but to me it's as if Guy is just a stick figure that was thrown in to stand next to Freddie. While, I think Freddie and Guy have great chemistry at times, that can't be enough to make fans be interested. They needed build up. Now again, Wilson get married and they have no follow up. No honeymoon...not even partial love scene??? Are you fucking kidding me? I can only imagine Ejami having a wedding like Wilson and not even getting a honeymoon. I'm not saying Wilson need to be all about sex but sex is important in a relationship especially on a wedding night. There was no reason for this wedding except for Days to stake claim they showed a gay wedding between two guys and so Wilson can fight for custody (as somebody here just said). I just think Wilson is one hot mess right now along with the rest of the show. And that's sad. Wilson started off with so much potential and it's as if they are just being used for Days to stake claims they showed certain things instead of being used for real stories of substance. I also think shit is happening behind the scenes. After the cut Valentine's Day promo, I strongly feel part of the honeymoon was cut. Based on their bedroom scenes lasting two days past couple of months, their honeymoon seemed chopped off so no sex was shown. Fits in with the timing of almost no promotion for the wedding. So of course Wilson didn't help the ratings last week but I really don't think it has to do with homophobic viewers. I just think it's based on everything being wrong with them right now.
Totally agree with your post.While mistakes were made on both sides of the Chandler release,Days could have finished out the original WilSon story with the marriage(although I still hate the idea of the wedding so soon).All the times their history was mentioned,how great would it have been to see flashbacks.

I have nothing against Guy.I just cannot get into his style.A little boring for me.Maybe if they had given a little more time for his introduction,maybe brought him in after the honeymoon,it would have been less jarring.

Days has become background noise for the most part,and that is a shame with all the talent they have.

bygnedys

If Kayla had left right after the huge popularity of Steve and Kayla, I wouldn't be able to accept a recast Kayla. The new Kayla wouldn't have been part of everything they had gone through to be together. It took 6 months before they kissed without it being a dream. It took a year for them to make love for first time.

Steve pushing Kayla to marry Jack, the after math of that, mistakes they made, Jack raping Kayla, refusing to give her a divorce, Kayla being deaf. If it had been a different Kayla who married Steve on the yacht, there wouldn't have been that hugely popular wedding and ratings bonanza. :cheer:

Not every gay couple is interesting. :mellow:

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Especially this gay couple. They are bland and I can't blame Guy Wilson for that. It's the writing. They are just this perfect and happy boring couple. Sonny had a bit of an edge but that is completely gone. They sit smiling and giggling and pinching each other in public places while all of the town looks on fondly. Except for Nick ,of course and a cartoon buffoon day player at Victor's. Will has an Irish Catholic family on his mother's side and none of them have any slight discomfort at this point, clapping and beaming at a gay wedding? Lucas had a problem accepting it for five minutes and so did T but now they are part of the ceremony giving unconditional support with no minor internal conflict. The only one who is against them is the arch villain who was raped in prison. Will should have been a schemer like Sami after the grief sex revelation. It was supposed to be like when his mother caught Marlena and John and launched the Brady vixen. But instead he is a bland and boring cypher. I know this isn't a popular opinion and it is not coming from an anti -gay bigot who closes his eyes or sends the 'children 'from the room during a Wilson love or sex scene. Quite the opposite. I think the couple needs spicing up and more conflict beyond one Snidely Whiplash ex-con 'cousin 'and a possible custody issue. They're becoming like a less annoying version of Jennifer and Daniel with all of the interesting characters being on their periphery.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Apr 12 2014, 01:32 PM.

Kaha
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Apr 12 2014, 01:23 PM
Especially this gay couple. They are bland and I can't blame Guy Wilson for that. It's the writing. They are just this perfect and happy boring couple. Sonny had a bit of an edge but that is completely gone. They sit smiling and giggling and pinching each other in public places while all of the town looks on fondly. Except for Nick ,of course and a cartoon buffoon day player at Victor's. Will has an Irish Catholic family on his mother's side and none of them have any slight discomfort at this point, clapping and beaming at a gay wedding? Lucas had a problem accepting it for five minutes and so did T but now they are part of the ceremony giving unconditional support with no minor internal conflict. The only one who is against them is the arch villain who was raped in prison. Will should have been a schemer like Sami after the grief sex revelation. It was supposed to be like when his mother caught Marlena and John and launched the Brady vixen. But instead he is a bland and boring cypher. I know this isn't a popular opinion and it is not coming from an anti -gay bigot who closes his eyes or sends the 'children 'from the room during a Wilson love or sex scene. Quite the opposite. I think the couple needs spicing up and more conflict beyond one Snidely Whiplash ex-con 'cousin 'and a possible custody issue. They're becoming like a less annoying version of Jennifer and Daniel with all of the interesting characters being on their periphery.
I agree with a lot of the points you are making. I think they could have a nice conflict between them. I don't want homophobes to be validated and to have other characters depicted as homophobes. I think the show needs to stop making Will and Sonny boring. Both Will and Sonny have a great deal of family connections that could make their lives complicated and create a lot of conflict. Why not utelize that history? They could also sett up a showdown between Nick and Sonny, instead of making Will and Sonny seem clueless and lame ducks. I want Sonny scheming and plotting to get rid of Nick. I want him to use his Kiriakis connections and have a face off with Nick, instead of just having stupid fights with brainless Gabi.

concerned
Member Avatar

lovinsafe
Apr 11 2014, 05:00 PM
trojangal
Apr 11 2014, 04:10 PM
lovinsafe
Apr 11 2014, 04:02 PM
There is room on my screen for more then raping priests and women, drugging priests, doctors, and businessmen! I have a wild idea how about some “good old-fashion love” Daytime soaps have always been about true love, families, with a few bumps in the road and a good old murder mystery added for good measure, something DAYS has forgotten! The other 3 daytime soaps still use this formula and it’s working for them.
In my opinion TPTB at Days are taking the easy way out & going for shock value to get ratings. They are not
giving us engaging story-lines &
some good drama. Shocking stuff might get some to to tune in but it is killing the show.
I don’t see anything shocking about the show….these SL have been done over and over again. The only thing that changed is the characters and day!
And that's if we are lucky half the time it's the same characters playing the same version of the same story.

james0479
Member Avatar

I actually really enjoyed the Wilson wedding but there were issues for me as well such as not having more people. Hell a day player could've played one of Sonny's brothers! Also the whole mess with EJ getting the marriage license with Mr. Quack-a-do was reaching really far to fill up screen time when it should've been pushing another story forward or hell, flashbacks of Sami having Will, flashbacks of those in attendance and their weddings or ANYthing other than EJ with that dude. The wedding itself, I enjoyed. But this is a ratings thread. I hate we are back in the 1.8ish zone but surely TPTB aren't expecting the lull this show is in to be bringing in the heavy 2's. Its slow as balls right now and I long for the day when Days can keep up their momentum more steadily because it was the best soap around for a few months there.

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

^Haha. It's true that this is a ratings thread and I apologize to everyone for going off with an essay on Wilson without mentioning the numbers.
Edited by Grandpa Hughes, Apr 13 2014, 11:43 PM.

james0479
Member Avatar

^^ lol I didn't mean it in a bad way!! Technically when talking the Wilson wedding, we are talking ratings since it what was aired. I do think if it had been promoted more and earlier, a day could've seen a boost but I don't think it would've affected the entire week. I tuned in everyday which is something I haven't done in about a month and a half. Like I said earlier, the wedding itself I enjoyed but the rest was just going thru the motions.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply