Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gaston out! Robert Wilson in!
Topic Started: Apr 14 2014, 10:51 AM (7,890 Views)
blueskies
Member Avatar

badaddiction
Apr 14 2014, 11:46 AM
SunAngel
Apr 14 2014, 11:38 AM
Restless84
Apr 14 2014, 10:57 AM
Hope he can act better than JG.
Hope he can act.
Well, based on his AMC gig, he's what I call a surface actor. He can deliver his lines, but they lack depth or nuance.
I have to agree. I didn't think he was amazing. Decent & easy on the eyes? Sure. But no better than JG as an actor.

I also ditto whoever said he'll probably be written out by year's end anyway.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Whatever, how hard can it be to find a charismatic actor who is great when it comes to acting in this industry? and maybe Days should shape up certain characters already existing on the show who is lame and totally uninteresting instead of replacing new with new so to speak.

OliveAnn

The Scorpion
Apr 14 2014, 01:30 PM
Whatever, how hard can it be to find a charismatic actor who is great when it comes to acting in this industry?
Finding good actors can be quite a task. Some actors do great at auditions, but are absolutely lost once they're on set. Other actors for some reason don't do well at auditions, be it because they've had a bad day or because they can't handle the pressure. Casting directors find themselves in a pretty difficult situation in those cases. In the former case, they need to explain to execs why they would hire such an actor and convince them to keep that person for at least one cycle in their contract and give them a chance to show what they showed at the audition. In the latter case, the casting directors need to convince the execs to hire this person and give very strong arguments about why they think this person has potential.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

blueskies
Apr 14 2014, 01:21 PM
badaddiction
Apr 14 2014, 11:46 AM
SunAngel
Restless84
Apr 14 2014, 10:57 AM
Hope he can act better than JG.
Hope he can act.
Well, based on his AMC gig, he's what I call a surface actor. He can deliver his lines, but they lack depth or nuance.
I have to agree. I didn't think he was amazing. Decent & easy on the eyes? Sure. But no better than JG as an actor.

I also ditto whoever said he'll probably be written out by year's end anyway.
I have to disagree with this. He was much better than JG. That doesn't make him the next coming of Vincent Irizarry, but its a big improvement. JG had nothing and I didn't see any signs of him ever possibly improving. Rob Wilson got better every episode.

nananana7
Member Avatar

The guessing game was somewhat interesting to me -- basically because I like to solve almost any puzzle or mystery, in any context.

However, in my opinion, by itself, the guessing game seemed like a lot of energy for a minor character.

However, the good thing was ... it got lots of talk going about Peggy McCay -- and if that caused more people to watch her scenes, I'm all for that. I hope people made a real effort to watch Caroline speak at the WilSon wedding. And that they will continue to watch her scenes. And that Peggy sticks around for a long time!

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Thank goodness,he is a much better actor.

KAM

Sparrow
I think the biggest problem with JG was just that he looked too much like Rafe. When the two were nose to nose arguing, it was kinda sorta hilarious.
I, too, thought Justin Gaston looked much more like he was a brother to Rafe than to Jordan -- more like another Hernandez than a Whoeveritis.

But character resemblances (and acting levels) aside, from the little I have seen of Rob Wilson, he has a very different facial aspect from Justin Gaston in terms of expected character type. Maybe it's all that super sized smiling on TPIR, but to me RW, on a purely superficial basis, fits the 'good guy' soap type. JG's appearance, OTH, was more the brooding 'bad boy' type.

I guess we'll see...someday...which type Ben is to be.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Btw, I'm very glad the leaver wasn't Peggy.

May Caroline Brady live a long and prosperous life as the Brady matriarch on the show.

Now that Bo, Kim, Frankie and Max are gone and Kayla & Roman are rarely seen, the Bradys need all the representation they can get.
Edited by Yoryla, Apr 14 2014, 03:23 PM.

missmeka1987_
Member Avatar

Sighs, oh Jason you slick one how dare you put us through curiosity behind a character I'm sure none of us care about ^_^ :applause: :whack:

phloe3

JG was fine, but RW is a good actor and easy on the eyes

BeeBee
Member Avatar

KAM
Apr 14 2014, 03:13 PM
Sparrow
I think the biggest problem with JG was just that he looked too much like Rafe. When the two were nose to nose arguing, it was kinda sorta hilarious.
I, too, thought Justin Gaston looked much more like he was a brother to Rafe than to Jordan -- more like another Hernandez than a Whoeveritis.

But character resemblances (and acting levels) aside, from the little I have seen of Rob Wilson, he has a very different facial aspect from Justin Gaston in terms of expected character type. Maybe it's all that super sized smiling on TPIR, but to me RW, on a purely superficial basis, fits the 'good guy' soap type. JG's appearance, OTH, was more the brooding 'bad boy' type.

I agree with you about Justin's look.He could easily have been cast as a relative of Rafe,he looked nothing like Jordan,his appearance gave off a stalker criminal vibe,and he had zero chemistry with KM.I honestly could not see "Abby"being attracted to him.It actually reminded me a lot of the time they cast Tamara Braun as Taylor,she looked tougher than EJ,I could not see him being attracted to her type at all.I want to see EJ/Abby but if the show decides to have EJ leave with Sami or partner him with Nicole or someone else,if Rob Wilson can act at all,I could accept him and Abby.I am one of the few who liked both Camerons with Abby.
Edited by BeeBee, Apr 14 2014, 04:27 PM.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

Jason47
Apr 14 2014, 12:20 PM
SOAP OPERA DIGEST CONFIRMS THE JUSTIN GASTON/ROBERT SCOTT WILSON SWITCH...

Soap Opera Digest has confirmed the casting switch I've been teasing for the past several months: Justin Gaston (Ben) has been released from his contract after his first 13-week cycle ended. Robert Scott Wilson, who was the first-ever male model on "The Price Is Right" and who appeared as Pete Cortland on the brief "All My Children" online reboot last year, will replace Gaston in the role. Look for the switch to happen on-air towards the end of May sweeps.

In the past few months, I've posted a few teasing hints about the switch, saying that some fans might not be smiling (in regards to Gaston's ex, Miley Cyrus) as well as others who would "come on down" (in regards to the famous Price Is Right catchphrase). I also stated that Wilson fans would be affected by the casting news (meaning Robert Scott Wilson fans, and not Will/Sonny fans as some had expected).

Drew Carey also had the rumor mill swirling last week when he tweeted that Wilson was no longer with "The Price Is Right" and that he was now appearing on a soap. Hope everyone had fun playing along the past few months. Congratulations to those of you who began figuring out the news last week on several of the message boards.
Thanks for the thread Jason.I enjoyed going to it before the other threads and after exhausting those threads.It prompted quite a bit of discussion,speculation,new information (to me)and investigation by other posters.

Will&Sonny

At least I'll no longer have to worry about getting that song from Disney's Beauty and the Beast stuck in my head every time I read Justin Gaston's name.

KAM

BeeBee
Apr 14 2014, 04:25 PM
KAM
Apr 14 2014, 03:13 PM
Sparrow

I agree with you about Justin's look.He could easily have been cast as a relative of Rafe,he looked nothing like Jordan,his appearance gave off a stalker criminal vibe,and he had zero chemistry with KM.I honestly could not see "Abby"being attracted to him.It actually reminded me a lot of the time they cast Tamara Braun as Taylor,she looked tougher than EJ,I could not see him being attracted to her type at all.I want to see EJ/Abby but if the show decides to have EJ leave with Sami or partner him with Nicole or someone else,if Rob Wilson can act at all,I could accept him and Abby.I am one of the few who liked both Camerons with Abby.
I think that Justin Gaston was directed to appear misleadingly menacing, which is likely where the 'stalker criminal vibe' originated. Maybe JG could have shed that in his later scenes with KM, if he'd been given the opportunity. Maybe not. He didn't make a great impression, but OTH he was given very little to do.

Interesting comment about the last two Taylors. This nuBen casting seems almost like a reverse Natalia/Tamara casting. That time DOOL swung from a too sweet sugar drop to a too tough cookie. Neither actress worked for me as Nicole's sister, Taylor. Such a shame, too. Taylor returning out of the blue and deciding to lure EJ away from Nicole through a superficial innocence that he longed to corrupt could/should have been a great story. But they didn't know how to write it, and the story was a horrendous hot mess right from the start. The recast only made it worse, IMO.

I can't be with you on the two Camerons, however. I thought DOOL casting was 0-2 on both those actors, not just with KM, but in general. Here's hoping these Bens are not Abby's new Camerons.

I think recasts always have an extra hurdle to clear, and the character of Ben has the added obstacle of regaining momentum after the long stall in the story line. Rob Wilson has his work cut out for him. I wish him well. The same for Justin Gaston.

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

I wish they'd just send Ben and his oh-so-boring sister away. They are pointless.

That said, I'm glad that Peggy M. is not leaving. At least, not yet. :)

Casey
Member Avatar
#BringBackMartha

I am super relieved that this means Peggy McCay is not leaving. She never got the leading stories on Days, but Caroline has a special place on the show. It would have been upsetting if she were the one leaving.

AllmyDaysatGh
Member Avatar

He was just fine on AMC :)

http://www.hulu.com/all-my-children

http://www.hulu.com/watch/499733

Looking forward to seeing him on DAYS come May '15!

Kaha
Member Avatar

Poor Justin G! He didn't even get any chance. But I wish they didn't recast the character. If they're not getting rid of her, maybe they need to recast Jordan with someone with little personality.

tylerbo20

how...shocking..next

stormymac
Member Avatar

Kaha
Apr 14 2014, 10:15 PM
Poor Justin G! He didn't even get any chance. But I wish they didn't recast the character. If they're not getting rid of her, maybe they need to recast Jordan with someone with little personality.
I disagree, Chrishell has a great personality, it's Jordan that doesn't. She was popular in her previous role on AMC, so it seems the problem isn't the actress, it's the character. Jordan is just flat out boring and switching actresses isn't going to change that. The choice is to write the character better or drop her completely and that would be a shame because Chrishell could really light up the screen if given the opportunity.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply