Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tuesday, April 15th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Apr 14 2014, 11:48 PM (10,393 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Discuss!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jason47
Member Avatar

Paul Neumann (aka Kersey)...the last I could find was he was living in China about a decade ago, married to a Chinese actress, but he's sort of dropped out of sight since I did my last check of the former actors a few years back.

This was an interview Paul gave to his college newspaper in 2003. The article mentions the newly-released "Hulk" being his big movie break. However, that is the last credit listed on his IMDB profile. He's not listed as acting in anything since he did this interview 11 years ago...

PAUL KERSEY INTERVIEW:

Every theater major hopes to make it big in America, whether it be in movies, television, or on Broadway. But what about China? Paul Kersey, an MSUM alum born as Paul Neumann, has been a star in China for years. He finally got his big movie break in Universal Pictures’ summer blockbuster “Hulk.”

Kersey, a 1992 graduate of the theater department at MSUM, plays the young Dr. David Banner in the new screen adaptation of the Marvel comic book superhero/ monster, The Incredible Hulk. Directed by Ang Lee, best known for his work on “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” the movie also stars Nick Nolte as the adult Dr. David Banner, and features such names as Sam Elliot, Jennifer Connelly (“A Beautiful Mind”) and Stan Lee, the original creator of Marvel Comic Books. The movie grossed $62.6 million on its opening weekend this summer at 3,600 theatres and received “Two Thumbs Up” from critics Ebert & Roeper.

It’s a big break into the U.S. film market for Kersey, who’s spent much of the past six years acting in China. But it’s not his first break. Soon after graduating from MSUM a decade ago, he landed a role as the nasty Alan on the popular daytime soap “Days of Our Lives,” a recurring role he continued for more than a year. At MSUM, Kersey (who adopted the stage name to avoid confusion with the other Paul Newman) appeared in about 25 plays and performed for three summers with the Straw Hat Players.

He credits former MSUM director Del Hansen for urging him to pursue acting with a passion when everyone else suggested he might want to find a backup career. “Doc (Hansen) always said that if you’re truly an actor, you go out and do it. You just have to take your chances and keep on going.” Kersey met his future wife, Ning Jing, in Tibet while filming the hit Chinese movie “Red River Valley” in 1996. Jing is currently a big movie star in China. “I was kind of in between jobs then and down to my last dollar when my agent called and asked if I’d be interested in going to China to do this movie titled ‘Red River Valley,’” Kersey said. “With that title, I thought, it must be a sign. So I jumped at the chance.”

After his debut on “Days of Our Lives,” Kersey appeared in a variety of television shows ranging from “Beverly Hills, 90210,” and “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” to “Diagnosis: Murder,” along with the films “Missing Pieces” and “Forbidden Island.” His audition for “Hulk” was just another day at the office for Kersey. But this one really paid off. “When I got to the audition, I was told my name wasn’t on the list,” Kersey said. “So I started to leave, but they called me back and gave me a shot.”

Playing a young Nick Nolte was a challenge. “It’s intimidating playing another person, especially one you’re working with. So I went back and watched Mr. Nolte in a 1970s film he did called ‘The Deep’ to try to capture the essence of him.” Besides imitating Nolte’s mannerisms, Kersey wore prosthetics above his eyes to match the actor’s deeper facial features.

With almost 15 minutes of face time on a Hollywood blockbuster, Kersey knows it’s a monster break for him. “But I try to keep myself grounded in who I am and where I came from—a small farm in Ada, Minn. I think it was actor Alan Richtman who once said, ‘I take my work very seriously, but not myself.’ That’s the attitude I try to maintain.”

Kersey, 33, is now entertaining another movie offer, this time from independent filmmaker Mike Kalvoda, a former MSUM film major now an upcoming L.A. writer and director. “We were at MSUM around the same time, and I remember talking with him at 2 a.m. outside my dorm room in 2nd West Snarr Hall and dreaming about both of us making a film in Hollywood some day,” Kersey said. “Maybe it was prophetic.”
Edited by Jason47, Apr 15 2014, 01:46 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

presley23
Member Avatar

Ah, the beginning of Sami turning evil, blaming Carrie for all of her problems, and spending the next 4 or so years trying to keep her and Austin apart. As a Carrie and Austin fan, I hated this story at the time. But looking back, it was a pretty interesting story. Alan was such a psycho by the end, I wonder if the character was always supposed to go that way? He seemed so normal to begin with...
Edited by presley23, Apr 15 2014, 04:26 AM.

nananana7

Jason47
Apr 15 2014, 01:32 AM
Paul Neumann (aka Kersey)...the last I could find was he was living in China about a decade ago, married to a Chinese actress, but he's sort of dropped out of sight since I did my last check of the former actors a few years back.

This was an interview Paul gave to his college newspaper in 2003.
<snip>
Every theater major hopes to make it big in America, whether it be in movies, television, or on Broadway. But what about China? Paul Kersey, an MSUM alum born as Paul Neumann, has been a star in China for years. He finally got his big movie break in Universal Pictures' summer blockbuster "Hulk."
<snip>
It's a big break into the U.S. film market for Kersey, who's spent much of the past six years acting in China. Kersey met his future wife, Ning Jing, in Tibet while filming the hit Chinese movie "Red River Valley" in 1996. Jing is currently a big movie star in China.

Fascinating. Thanks, Jason!

Thanks to your post, I found this:

Chinese film "Red River Valley" also known as "A Tale of the Sacred Mountain"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Valley_%281997_film%29

Actress Ning Jing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ning_Jing

I found snippets of the movie as "Younghusband Expedition" online
and saw Paul Kersey.
It seems to be told from point of view of a young child in Tibet. It starts with the child's family adopting a teenage girl from the Han people -- the Han have different beliefs and different customs.
Meanwhile some British try to come to Tibet, rather clueless. Paul Kersey plays the interpreter. When it's time for him to go home, he can't because he's ill, so he stays in Tibet. That was as much as I watched -- which was about 15 minutes. Really hard to say how a movie from mainland China would portray events in Tibet that occurred in the year 1900 when the British tried to visit/invade. So many different cultures/politics/ethnicities/religions -- each with their own point of view. There was a massacre.

IMDB says that a few parts of the movie are credited to this book
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0195838629
by author Peter Fleming (brother of Ian)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Fleming_%28writer%29

It seems that the British Commander later regretted the massacre, and had a changed spiritual perspective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Younghusband
But no idea if that's in the movie -- probably not.
Edited by nananana7, Apr 15 2014, 06:40 AM.

nananana7

lysie
Apr 14 2014, 11:48 PM

presley23
Apr 15 2014, 04:25 AM
Alan was such a psycho by the end, I wonder if the character was always supposed to go that way? He seemed so normal to begin with...

Smarmy assholes that seem normal -- rapists are often like that.

Don't watch this if you're feeling at all vulnerable
This is the aftermath of Alan Harris raping Sami -- when Alan tries to manipulate Sami as to what to say.
I'm putting this behind a spoiler tag.
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by nananana7, Apr 15 2014, 07:38 AM.

AmbernOK
Member Avatar

nananana7
Apr 15 2014, 07:37 AM
lysie

presley23
Alan was such a psycho by the end, I wonder if the character was always supposed to go that way? He seemed so normal to begin with...

This is the aftermath of Alan Harris raping Sami -- when Alan tries to manipulate Sami as to what to say.
Man...I remember watching that...that dude was a REAL creeper!!! As much as I loved Carrie and Austin...I genuinely felt bad for Sami!

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Jason47

This was an interview Paul gave to his college newspaper in 2003. The article mentions the newly-released "Hulk" being his big movie break. However, that is the last credit listed on his IMDB profile. He's not listed as acting in anything since he did this interview 11 years ago...

PAUL KERSEY INTERVIEW:

Every theater major hopes to make it big in America, whether it be in movies, television, or on Broadway. But what about China? Paul Kersey, an MSUM alum born as Paul Neumann, has been a star in China for years. He finally got his big movie break in Universal Pictures’ summer blockbuster “Hulk.”

Kersey, a 1992 graduate of the theater department at MSUM, plays the young Dr. David Banner in the new screen adaptation of the Marvel comic book superhero/ monster, The Incredible Hulk. Directed by Ang Lee, best known for his work on “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” the movie also stars Nick Nolte as the adult Dr. David Banner, and features such names as Sam Elliot, Jennifer Connelly (“A Beautiful Mind”) and Stan Lee, the original creator of Marvel Comic Books. The movie grossed $62.6 million on its opening weekend this summer at 3,600 theatres and received “Two Thumbs Up” from critics Ebert & Roeper.

It’s a big break into the U.S. film market for Kersey, who’s spent much of the past six years acting in China. But it’s not his first break. Soon after graduating from MSUM a decade ago, he landed a role as the nasty Alan on the popular daytime soap “Days of Our Lives,” a recurring role he continued for more than a year. At MSUM, Kersey (who adopted the stage name to avoid confusion with the other Paul Newman) appeared in about 25 plays and performed for three summers with the Straw Hat Players.

He credits former MSUM director Del Hansen for urging him to pursue acting with a passion when everyone else suggested he might want to find a backup career. “Doc (Hansen) always said that if you’re truly an actor, you go out and do it. You just have to take your chances and keep on going.” Kersey met his future wife, Ning Jing, in Tibet while filming the hit Chinese movie “Red River Valley” in 1996. Jing is currently a big movie star in China. “I was kind of in between jobs then and down to my last dollar when my agent called and asked if I’d be interested in going to China to do this movie titled ‘Red River Valley,’” Kersey said. “With that title, I thought, it must be a sign. So I jumped at the chance.”

After his debut on “Days of Our Lives,” Kersey appeared in a variety of television shows ranging from “Beverly Hills, 90210,” and “Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” to “Diagnosis: Murder,” along with the films “Missing Pieces” and “Forbidden Island.” His audition for “Hulk” was just another day at the office for Kersey. But this one really paid off. “When I got to the audition, I was told my name wasn’t on the list,” Kersey said. “So I started to leave, but they called me back and gave me a shot.”

Playing a young Nick Nolte was a challenge. “It’s intimidating playing another person, especially one you’re working with. So I went back and watched Mr. Nolte in a 1970s film he did called ‘The Deep’ to try to capture the essence of him.” Besides imitating Nolte’s mannerisms, Kersey wore prosthetics above his eyes to match the actor’s deeper facial features.

With almost 15 minutes of face time on a Hollywood blockbuster, Kersey knows it’s a monster break for him. “But I try to keep myself grounded in who I am and where I came from—a small farm in Ada, Minn. I think it was actor Alan Richtman who once said, ‘I take my work very seriously, but not myself.’ That’s the attitude I try to maintain.”

Kersey, 33, is now entertaining another movie offer, this time from independent filmmaker Mike Kalvoda, a former MSUM film major now an upcoming L.A. writer and director. “We were at MSUM around the same time, and I remember talking with him at 2 a.m. outside my dorm room in 2nd West Snarr Hall and dreaming about both of us making a film in Hollywood some day,” Kersey said. “Maybe it was prophetic.”
Who exactly puts the information to IMDB, is it users or some sort of an admin.

Kimba73
Member Avatar

AmbernOK
Apr 15 2014, 09:03 AM
nananana7
Apr 15 2014, 07:37 AM
lysie

presley23

Man...I remember watching that...that dude was a REAL creeper!!! As much as I loved Carrie and Austin...I genuinely felt bad for Sami!
I remember it too and he was soooo creepy! I really felt bad for Sami also, even though I hated the things she did to Carrie and Austin.

kkratz57
Member Avatar

lysie
Posted Image

Discuss!
Ah, back when Patrick Muldoon was HAWT!!!

nananana7

Jason47

PAUL KERSEY INTERVIEW:

"Every theater major hopes to make it big in America, whether it be in movies, television, or on Broadway. But what about China? Paul Kersey, an MSUM alum born as Paul Neumann, has been a star in China for years."
<snip>

Yoryla
Apr 15 2014, 09:30 AM
Who exactly puts the information to IMDB, is it users or some sort of an admin.

Both, according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database#Content_and_format

If Paul Kersey is still acting in China, would anyone be contacting IMDB to update his profile with Chinese films? I don't know.

nananana7

The Alan Harris storyline
from the archived version of Beth's Days Page
https://web.archive.org/web/20080907092033/http://www.bethsdayspage.com/days/alansami.html

nananana7

Alan was not convicted at his trial.
He plotted revenge against Sami and Carrie.

Here is the video of Sami shooting Alan in the crotch.

January 13, 1995
What an icky day.
FauxBo proposes to Billie. Ewww.
John is with Kristen. Ewww.
Marlena is possesed. Ewww.

Meanwhile Sami is trying to fight off Alan by herself.
She says that because he went to trial but wasn't convicted, she wants to stop him from doing it to anyone else.

note: Start at the 45-second mark to skip bo/billie

Sami declares some pretty powerful stuff to Alan.
Strong powerful woman. That's what grabs me.

clip behind the spoiler tag so as to not take up too much space.

"It made me realize what you're all about.
You don't want sex, you want power.
You want to rob me, and every other woman of her dignity.
You want to drag us all into the mud where scum like you live.
Oh but I'm not going to let you do it.
I’m not going to let you rape any woman ever again.
The law couldn't stop you, but I can, and I will. Right here, right now."

Alan declares that he's going to do whatever he wants;and that she's going to give him the gun and he's going to take her back to his place now.
He comes up to her. She shoots.

===========================

And now back to 2014 Days where women are portrayed as .... believing nonsense from their abusers. Sigh.
Edited by nananana7, Apr 15 2014, 12:11 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Sami looks 43.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

lysie
Apr 15 2014, 11:41 AM
Sami looks 43.
LOL!

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

lysie
Apr 15 2014, 11:41 AM
Sami looks 43.
I couldn't watch the clips, unfortunately, but that top picture makes everyone look....odd? Not exactly old but it looks like it could have been taken in some era other than the 1990s. I can't put my finger on it but...

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

kkratz57
Apr 15 2014, 10:17 AM
lysie
Posted Image

Discuss!
Ah, back when Patrick Muldoon was HAWT!!!
I don't think anyone looks very Hawt in this picture. Haha. It looks like a cartoon. Btw, I noticed that PM was lisping when they brought him back this last time. Did he always do that?

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Theresa is no angel,but come on Dr.Tan blame someone else,although she did give him the key.

TreasureCove
Member Avatar

nananana7
Apr 15 2014, 11:32 AM
Alan was not convicted at his trial.
He plotted revenge against Sami and Carrie.

Here is the video of Sami shooting Alan in the crotch.

January 13, 1995
What an icky day.
FauxBo proposes to Billie. Ewww.
John is with Kristen. Ewww.
Marlena is possesed. Ewww.

Meanwhile Sami is trying to fight off Alan by herself.
She says that because he went to trial but wasn't convicted, she wants to stop him from doing it to anyone else.

note: Start at the 45-second mark to skip bo/billie

Sami declares some pretty powerful stuff to Alan.
Strong powerful woman. That's what grabs me.

clip behind the spoiler tag so as to not take up too much space.

"It made me realize what you're all about.
You don't want sex, you want power.
You want to rob me, and every other woman of her dignity.
You want to drag us all into the mud where scum like you live.
Oh but I'm not going to let you do it.
I’m not going to let you rape any woman ever again.
The law couldn't stop you, but I can, and I will. Right here, right now."

Alan declares that she's going to give him the gun and he's going to take her back to his place now. He comes up to her. She shoots.

And now back to 2014 Days where women are portrayed as .... believing nonsense from their abusers. Sigh.
Not just believing, but dismissing rape as nothing and rewarding it! How far this show has fallen in it's respect for women :shame:
Edited by TreasureCove, Apr 15 2014, 12:04 PM.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Sami,your not exactly mother of the year,you let your kids hang around a rapist(EJ) and a psychopath(Stefano).

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

OMG! EJ is side-eyeing Sami's entire rant about Gabi. lolol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply