Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Closing In (Nick)
Topic Started: May 2 2014, 08:07 AM (4,374 Views)
Ellie

This week's SOD features a three page article on Nick.

The article differs from SOD's usual format and instead details why various Salem residents are upset at Nick.

- EJ has a confrontation with Nick and "decides to take drastic action".

- Abigail is "stunned by Nick's revelation". Kate Mansi explains that Abigail and Nick have always been close cousins, but now she doesn't know if she can trust him.

- Then things "take a violent turn" between Will and Nick.

- Sonny hears about that fight but isn't surprised. Sonny tries to protect his loved ones.

- Will discovers Sonny is keeping a secret.

- Will realizes that Nick has info about Abigail.

- Abigail goes to EJ when she worries that Nick knows about the affair.

- Abigail can see that Nick is almost hitting a breaking point and unraveling.

Will we see how out of control Nick really is? Pick up the latest Digest for details!

Offline Profile Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

so they're setting up the murder suspect list. At least it isn't as blatantly obvious like the "Stefano got shot and everyone in town went over and picked the murder weapon up last night".
Offline Profile Goto Top

peaches179

I wish I could get excited about this, but I'm not. Thanks for posting, Ellie!
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Yeah, they are setting up a bunch of suspects here....
Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

Nick at this point is being written as a mad dog that needs to be put down. And it's pretty obvious that he's going to be the murder victim. And while I'm not invested in the character, it seems a waste of a potentially good storyline: young man gets out of prison and tries to rebuild his life and reintegrate himself into society. Instead, it was "young man gets out of prison and does a lot of nasty, vindictive, manipulative stuff that makes people wonder why he was released from prison in the first place before ending up as a chalk outline." An exercise in futility!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

Romancer66
May 2 2014, 08:39 AM
Nick at this point is being written as a mad dog that needs to be put down. And it's pretty obvious that he's going to be the murder victim. And while I'm not invested in the character, it seems a waste of a potentially good storyline: young man gets out of prison and tries to rebuild his life and reintegrate himself into society. Instead, it was "young man gets out of prison and does a lot of nasty, vindictive, manipulative stuff that makes people wonder why he was released from prison in the first place before ending up as a chalk outline." An exercise in futility!
I LOVE this post. Exactly! One thing I've always liked about Nick is the depth to his character. I especially respected that they were going down the road of his homophobia coming from his prison experience. Instead, as you're saying, they've turned him into a typical Days caricature. It really is sad and a missed opportunity.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Romancer66
You know what...I can understand Nick fans being frustrated at the direction that Nick's character was taken. But in reality, people in Nick's situation could have gone either way. Some redeem themselves post prison, but most just fall back into their old patterns and relapse back into criminal behavior. So I still feel like Nick turning bad again very believable.

ETA: I believe that always being the smartest guy in the room caused Nick to suffer from hubris.
Edited by Pookie, May 2 2014, 08:49 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Pookie
May 2 2014, 08:47 AM
Romancer66
You know what...I can understand Nick fans being frustrated at the direction that Nick's character was taken. But in reality, people in Nick's situation could have gone either way. Some redeem themselves post prison, but most just fall back into their old patterns and relapse back into criminal behavior. So I still feel like Nick turning bad again very believable.

ETA: I believe that always being the smartest guy in the room caused Nick to suffer from hubris.
Except Nick was not a habitual criminal before the incident that sent him to prison. Obviously these writers don't know how to write for a complex character. I'd give anything for someone like Bill Bell or Pat Falken Smith to be around to write for Nick.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 2 2014, 08:52 AM
Pookie
Romancer66

Except Nick was not a habitual criminal before the incident that sent him to prison. Obviously these writers don't know how to write for a complex character. I'd give anything for someone like Bill Bell or Pat Falken Smith to be around to write for Nick.
But those personality traits were there, weren't they? The stalking, controlling, obsessiveness, etc... Add to that a hellish stint in prison and I can totally understand how all the bad traits got worse. I'm not saying that Nick isn't complex, but it's believable that someone's dark side can take over. In my life I've personally seen a once sweet, sensitive girl turn into a dark, jaded, hardened woman after a series of bad events. It sucks, but it happens.
Edited by Pookie, May 2 2014, 08:59 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Pookie
May 2 2014, 08:58 AM
jam6242
Pookie
Romancer66

But those personality traits were there, weren't they? The stalking, controlling, obsessiveness, etc... Add to that a hellish stint in prison and I can totally understand how all the bad traits got worse. I'm not saying that Nick isn't complex, but it's believable that someone's dark side can take over. In my life I've personally seen a once sweet, sensitive girl turn into a dark, jaded, hardened woman after a series of bad events. It sucks, but it happens.
He was not previously obsessive in a dark way. He was socially awkward and didn't know how to go about getting a girl to like him. He was constantly being told he was a geek and not hot enough for anyone. So, he did create false identities on the internet who were more attractive to get Chelsea and Melanie interested in him. But he also had the biggest heart of anyone in Salem and would literally give someone his last cent to help them. He even saved Sami's life when she was pregnant with the twins and received a serious head injury as a result. Not to mention rescuing Melanie from the men her father pimped her out to and taking a bullet in the process. I know Nick can never be the same after all of his experiences, including prison, but to turn him into some cartoon villain, no better than Liam, makes me sick.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:07 AM
Pookie
jam6242
Pookie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
He was not previously obsessive in a dark way. He was socially awkward and didn't know how to go about getting a girl to like him. He was constantly being told he was a geek and not hot enough for anyone. So, he did create false identities on the internet who were more attractive to get Chelsea and Melanie interested in him. But he also had the biggest heart of anyone in Salem and would literally give someone his last cent to help them. He even saved Sami's life when she was pregnant with the twins and received a serious head injury as a result. Not to mention rescuing Melanie from the men her father pimped her out to and taking a bullet in the process. I know Nick can never be the same after all of his experiences, including prison, but to turn him into some cartoon villain, no better than Liam, makes me sick.
There's no need to recount his good deeds. And he has not been written as cartoon-y as Liam. I'm just saying, factor in he previous tendencies, factor in his family history of mental illness and factor in his years of prison abuse....Nick turning to the dark side is plausible.

And the thing is, in a weird way, the sweet Nick is still there. The one who just wants his happy ending. He so desperately wants his idealistic, wholesome, "white picket fence" nuclear family dreams to come true, BUT he's trying to force it. Add to the fact that most of the people he's fighting with are hella dubious themselves, I'm sure he doesn't see himself as the bad guy. He probably believes he's righting everyone else's wrongs.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Poor Nick. I'm going to miss him and especially Blake Berris, who is probably the best male actor on the show, IMO.

I do think they're doing a great job of setting up tons of potential suspects and giving them legit reasons to want Nick dead. I just wish that we didn't know so many specifics about who is leaving, etc. It kinda ruins the story and that's what you get when you tape a year ahead. I'll just try to enjoy the story, but basically know what's going to happen.

The fact that its a hitman leads me to believe that Blake isn't even going to get to put on a clinic on the way out unless he haunts some people. I guess the confrontations with people around Salem are going to be his goodbye tour.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

Ellie
May 2 2014, 08:43 AM
Romancer66
I LOVE this post. Exactly! One thing I've always liked about Nick is the depth to his character. I especially respected that they were going down the road of his homophobia coming from his prison experience. Instead, as you're saying, they've turned him into a typical Days caricature. It really is sad and a missed opportunity.
They could have done such a wonderful redemption arc for NIck after his life was saved by Will...they could have really showcased what happens to a person after they get raped in prison....and not just made that person a crazy homophobic asshole....sorry just an all around fail and Nick was such a wonderfully likable character his first go around...it pains me to think what they've done to him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

metitle
Member Avatar

Lets hope the murderer is Abigail, then she will go to jail and we wont have see her smirk for awhile.
Ms. Pris will be crying everyday wondering why she had to get involve with bad, bad, EJ.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hugo
Member Avatar

There's still a slim chance that Nick is the target but somebody else gets killed, that would make a really good storyline with Nick trying to figure out which one of his enemies tried to murder him. But I'm sure that's not what will happen. :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Hugo
May 2 2014, 09:33 AM
There's still a slim chance that Nick is the target but somebody else gets killed, that would make a really good storyline with Nick trying to figure out which one of his enemies tried to murder him. But I'm sure that's not what will happen. :(
That would be only a slight variation on what's happening now.

What I would find interesting would be to flash back on Nick's missing few months. His time with Percy. I'm sure Nick also lurked about and/or instructed Percy to do things for him. Nick could have recordings and videos on EVERYONE.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:07 AM
Pookie
jam6242
Pookie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
This this! Did Nick exhibit personality traits early on that might explain how he went into stalker mode? Maybe, but honestly those traits, especially the obsessive/stalkerish behavior can actually be listed as traits for almost every other citizen in Salem including: Kate, Sami, EJ, Gabi, etc. And when he went full blown nuts in 2008-2009, part of that was due to the medication he got hooked on as well as the actually trying to protect Melanie from an abusive father.

Shall I list some of the selfless acts Nick did before prison? Helping Shelle to escape and pawning his watch so they would have money to leave on (he never got that back), giving away $50K to Chelsea anonymously through Kate (that never was discovered by her) so she could go to college and taking in two boys when their mother abandoned them on his doorstep.

When he was released from prison, he showed no signs of trying to get even or pretend he wasn't a convict. He tried to avoid Melanie at all costs and showed no resentment to her over what happened. Even after Chad beat him up for no reason, he only threatened him about it should Chad try to do reveal Gabi's secret. Now if I wanted to get psychological, I could say that moment with Chad where he protected Gabi might have been the real first step in setting him down this past. So much of his life had been out of his control for so long but in that instant he was able to take back the control and Gabi's sincere gratitude cemented it in his mind. But of course, that would be giving the writers any kind of credit and I hate to do that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

metitle
May 2 2014, 09:25 AM
Lets hope the murderer is Abigail, then she will go to jail and we wont have see her smirk for awhile.
Ms. Pris will be crying everyday wondering why she had to get involve with bad, bad, EJ.
It ej fault in smirk since he smirk too much it rub bit on abby.with Abby going to jail we will Jennifer crying and all and Daniel comfort her and lot fetch
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

gailwinters
May 2 2014, 09:52 AM
Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
Although I like Kate, I thought that was bizarre too. No comments from Blake Berris to give Nick's point of view either.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic