Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Closing In (Nick)
Topic Started: May 2 2014, 08:07 AM (4,454 Views)
DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

gailwinters
May 2 2014, 09:52 AM
Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
Well either Kate Mansi is selling magazines or Days is making her talk every week. She isn't going to veer off track on her own and if she does they wouldn't print it. I mean really?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

Tripp
May 2 2014, 09:40 AM
jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:07 AM
Pookie
May 2 2014, 08:58 AM
jam6242
May 2 2014, 08:52 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
But those personality traits were there, weren't they? The stalking, controlling, obsessiveness, etc... Add to that a hellish stint in prison and I can totally understand how all the bad traits got worse. I'm not saying that Nick isn't complex, but it's believable that someone's dark side can take over. In my life I've personally seen a once sweet, sensitive girl turn into a dark, jaded, hardened woman after a series of bad events. It sucks, but it happens.
He was not previously obsessive in a dark way. He was socially awkward and didn't know how to go about getting a girl to like him. He was constantly being told he was a geek and not hot enough for anyone. So, he did create false identities on the internet who were more attractive to get Chelsea and Melanie interested in him. But he also had the biggest heart of anyone in Salem and would literally give someone his last cent to help them. He even saved Sami's life when she was pregnant with the twins and received a serious head injury as a result. Not to mention rescuing Melanie from the men her father pimped her out to and taking a bullet in the process. I know Nick can never be the same after all of his experiences, including prison, but to turn him into some cartoon villain, no better than Liam, makes me sick.
So much of his life had been out of his control for so long but in that instant he was able to take back the control and Gabi's sincere gratitude cemented it in his mind. But of course, that would be giving the writers any kind of credit and I hate to do that.
For ME, I believe the slippery slope began once he found out Gabi was pregnant with another man's child. Before that Nick was probably thinking "YES! A hot chick actually likes me for me and "gets" me! SCORE! She could be the one." Then the pregnancy happens and ruined all of his big dreams. But being the control freak that he is, he tried to turn it in his favor. If only he could get that weak-willed Will out of the way. Little did he realize that messing with Will was equal to screwing with Sami, Kate, Lucas and EJ. Stupid move. But, believing he was smarter than all of them combined, he went ahead with it anyways.
Offline Profile Goto Top

JoeBucs32

blueskies
May 2 2014, 08:12 AM
so they're setting up the murder suspect list. At least it isn't as blatantly obvious like the "Stefano got shot and everyone in town went over and picked the murder weapon up last night".
OMG -- that whole Stefano "murder" storyline was the dumbest, more poorly written story/episode ever!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

stormymac
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
Not only that, but did you understand anything she was saying? I thought this made even less sense than her Stockholm Syndrome explanation.
Online Profile Goto Top

thepadange

jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:55 AM
gailwinters
Although I like Kate, I thought that was bizarre too. No comments from Blake Berris to give Nick's point of view either.
If he's gone he doesn't have to do this anymore.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PhilipCanDoBetter
Member Avatar

thepadange
May 2 2014, 11:26 AM
jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:55 AM
gailwinters
Although I like Kate, I thought that was bizarre too. No comments from Blake Berris to give Nick's point of view either.
If he's gone he doesn't have to do this anymore.
I was thinking the same thing. He's probably not working there,so maybe that's why he didn't comment on his story. :shrug:
Edited by PhilipCanDoBetter, May 2 2014, 11:30 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

stormymac
May 2 2014, 11:10 AM
gailwinters
Not only that, but did you understand anything she was saying? I thought this made even less sense than her Stockholm Syndrome explanation.
I didn't include her quotes because I didn't understand it either. She seemed to be hinting that she tries to talk with EJ but then his hold over her prevents her from doing that. But it wasn't really worded like a spoiler so idk.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

I'm sorry, but I think Nick isn't going to die after being shot. I think the writers will just make it look like he did. Maybe everyone's secrets will come out and when Nick does return he has nothing on anyone. ROFL Justing thinking....
Is Burris leaving the show? I haven't heard that he was.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Ellie
May 2 2014, 08:43 AM
Romancer66
May 2 2014, 08:39 AM
Nick at this point is being written as a mad dog that needs to be put down. And it's pretty obvious that he's going to be the murder victim. And while I'm not invested in the character, it seems a waste of a potentially good storyline: young man gets out of prison and tries to rebuild his life and reintegrate himself into society. Instead, it was "young man gets out of prison and does a lot of nasty, vindictive, manipulative stuff that makes people wonder why he was released from prison in the first place before ending up as a chalk outline." An exercise in futility!
I LOVE this post. Exactly! One thing I've always liked about Nick is the depth to his character. I especially respected that they were going down the road of his homophobia coming from his prison experience. Instead, as you're saying, they've turned him into a typical Days caricature. It really is sad and a missed opportunity.
Gee, how many times have we said "missed opportunity" with Days? This bugs me. Blake Berris is awesome, in my opinion, and could have done so much with this character.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Dorothy595
May 2 2014, 01:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I think Nick isn't going to die after being shot. I think the writers will just make it look like he did. Maybe everyone's secrets will come out and when Nick does return he has nothing on anyone. ROFL Justing thinking....
He hasn't given anything away. Someone is definitely killed according to the spoilers. Supposedly a major character. And all the suspects are Nick haters. The only hope I have that it isn't Nick is because his murder would be too obvious.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Pookie
May 2 2014, 09:15 AM
jam6242
Pookie
jam6242
May 2 2014, 08:52 AM

But those personality traits were there, weren't they? The stalking, controlling, obsessiveness, etc... Add to that a hellish stint in prison and I can totally understand how all the bad traits got worse. I'm not saying that Nick isn't complex, but it's believable that someone's dark side can take over. In my life I've personally seen a once sweet, sensitive girl turn into a dark, jaded, hardened woman after a series of bad events. It sucks, but it happens.
He was not previously obsessive in a dark way. He was socially awkward and didn't know how to go about getting a girl to like him. He was constantly being told he was a geek and not hot enough for anyone. So, he did create false identities on the internet who were more attractive to get Chelsea and Melanie interested in him. But he also had the biggest heart of anyone in Salem and would literally give someone his last cent to help them. He even saved Sami's life when she was pregnant with the twins and received a serious head injury as a result. Not to mention rescuing Melanie from the men her father pimped her out to and taking a bullet in the process. I know Nick can never be the same after all of his experiences, including prison, but to turn him into some cartoon villain, no better than Liam, makes me sick.
There's no need to recount his good deeds. And he has not been written as cartoon-y as Liam. I'm just saying, factor in he previous tendencies, factor in his family history of mental illness and factor in his years of prison abuse....Nick turning to the dark side is plausible.

And the thing is, in a weird way, the sweet Nick is still there. The one who just wants his happy ending. He so desperately wants his idealistic, wholesome, "white picket fence" nuclear family dreams to come true, BUT he's trying to force it. Add to the fact that most of the people he's fighting with are hella dubious themselves, I'm sure he doesn't see himself as the bad guy. He probably believes he's righting everyone else's wrongs.
But why go the route of "Bad guy falls off wagon"? Been there, done that. A lot more creative to have this demon that he is constantly battling, but can win, through psychiatric help, the love of a good woman, whatever. Having the bad guy fall bad again is just going with stereotypes. I'd much rather go the other way.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pookie
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
May 2 2014, 01:07 PM
Pookie
jam6242
Pookie

There's no need to recount his good deeds. And he has not been written as cartoon-y as Liam. I'm just saying, factor in he previous tendencies, factor in his family history of mental illness and factor in his years of prison abuse....Nick turning to the dark side is plausible.

And the thing is, in a weird way, the sweet Nick is still there. The one who just wants his happy ending. He so desperately wants his idealistic, wholesome, "white picket fence" nuclear family dreams to come true, BUT he's trying to force it. Add to the fact that most of the people he's fighting with are hella dubious themselves, I'm sure he doesn't see himself as the bad guy. He probably believes he's righting everyone else's wrongs.
But why go the route of "Bad guy falls off wagon"? Been there, done that. A lot more creative to have this demon that he is constantly battling, but can win, through psychiatric help, the love of a good woman, whatever. Having the bad guy fall bad again is just going with stereotypes. I'd much rather go the other way.
I'm not saying the writers couldn't have gone in a different direction and written something more compelling. I'm just saying Nick's behavior isn't coming out of no where. It's all plausible.
Offline Profile Goto Top

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
May 2 2014, 08:35 AM
Yeah, they are setting up a bunch of suspects here....
I'm assuming this Nick story is why Ejabby had an affair... more suspects.
Offline Profile Goto Top

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Pookie
jam6242
Pookie

I like this story. Too many characters have been redeemed on this show. I'm hoping when Sami is gone, we get the old EJ back. I saw him today and it was exciting!
Offline Profile Goto Top

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 2 2014, 01:06 PM
Dorothy595
May 2 2014, 01:02 PM
He hasn't given anything away. Someone is definitely killed according to the spoilers. Supposedly a major character. And all the suspects are Nick haters. The only hope I have that it isn't Nick is because his murder would be too obvious.
It doesn't bother me that it's obvious who will be killed. If we didn't have spoilers, we wouldn't "know" he was going to be killed or if something else would happen to him when Salem said enough was enough.
Offline Profile Goto Top

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

does the article mention Gabi, becaust today I saw why Gabi wold kill him, i think she realized that he would always own her and never leave her alone.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

crookedhalo
May 2 2014, 02:31 PM
does the article mention Gabi, becaust today I saw why Gabi wold kill him, i think she realized that he would always own her and never leave her alone.
Gabi is not mentioned at all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

crookedhalo
Member Avatar

iheartwilson
May 2 2014, 02:06 PM
ladyofthelake
Pookie
jam6242

I like this story. Too many characters have been redeemed on this show. I'm hoping when Sami is gone, we get the old EJ back. I saw him today and it was exciting!
he was deliciously naughty... it's the black glove killer...wolf!! He was so threatening, I wanted to swoon. It was good to EJ Wells, I've missed him.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Will&Sonny

Can. Not. Wait!

I think (and this is just my opinion) that a lot of the disappointment over the way this has played out just has to do with nostalgia over Nick and love for Blake Berris. I'm not saying that it's wrong for anyone to feel that way, even though I clearly don't feel that way myself. I'm just saying that I don't think that this sort of hand-wringing would have occurred in a lot of other characters' cases.

But again, that's just my take of the matter. At this point, Nick has been a bad person for much longer than he has been a good person (on the show, anyway)...and even when he was a "good" person, there were hints to a darker side. He just eventually let that darker side win.
Edited by Will&Sonny, May 2 2014, 07:08 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

am103
Member Avatar

Abigail and Nick are "close cousins"? Mmkay.

That's all I got for this one!
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic