Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
SOD: Closing In (Nick)
Topic Started: May 2 2014, 08:07 AM (4,642 Views)
Kaha
Member Avatar

jam6242
May 3 2014, 03:42 PM
Kaha
May 3 2014, 03:36 PM
DiMeraFan67
May 3 2014, 03:33 PM
Kaha
May 3 2014, 03:31 PM
It's interesting that Blake Berris doesn't see Nick as a good guy who deserves sympathy. He actually said that Nick would "blow his brains out" if he were to write Nick's demise.
Because he's tortured. I don't see how that ending means that he doesn't think he deserves sympathy.
Well, I wouldn't want tortured people to kill themselves. I want them to get proper treatment and support.

It doesn't sound like thinks Nick deserved redemption.
I think Nick feels the same way because, with few exceptions, he's been made to feel worthless. And actually, although I would still be devastated, a suicide would be more in line with Nick's character and would be easier for me to accept than being gunned down by a town full of hypocrites (and yes, I know, all of them don't take a shot). Maybe Nick hired someone to kill him? I guess that's not out of the realm of possibility.
Who made Nick feel worthless, aside from his victims refusing to play nice? I am talking about when he came back from prison and after Ari's birth?

About the ending, I think the ending sucks. It lacks any creativity.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Kaha
DiMeraFan67
Kaha
May 3 2014, 03:31 PM
It's interesting that Blake Berris doesn't see Nick as a good guy who deserves sympathy. He actually said that Nick would "blow his brains out" if he were to write Nick's demise.
Because he's tortured. I don't see how that ending means that he doesn't think he deserves sympathy.
Well, I wouldn't want tortured people to kill themselves. I want them to get proper treatment and support.

It doesn't sound like he thinks Nick deserved redemption.
This is way out of context. The question was how would he want his character to leave the show and he answered with that. I'm sure if asked which direction or what story he would like to see play out he wouldn't have said he wanted Nick to kill himself.

I think it really makes sense considering the path he has gone down and if he thought there was no turning back from it. Plus knowing who his mother is he might think he is destined to a life like that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

WilSonJAb33
Member Avatar

Kaha
May 3 2014, 03:46 PM
jam6242
May 3 2014, 03:42 PM
Kaha
DiMeraFan67

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep

It doesn't sound like thinks Nick deserved redemption.
I think Nick feels the same way because, with few exceptions, he's been made to feel worthless. And actually, although I would still be devastated, a suicide would be more in line with Nick's character and would be easier for me to accept than being gunned down by a town full of hypocrites (and yes, I know, all of them don't take a shot). Maybe Nick hired someone to kill him? I guess that's not out of the realm of possibility.
Who made Nick feel worthless, aside from his victims refusing to play nice? I am talking about when he came back from prison and after Ari's birth?

About the ending, I think the ending sucks. It lacks any creativity.
Exactly Will, Sonny, EJ, Kate & Sami have no reason to even respect much less like Nick
Trust & respected is earned not merely granted... I Nick think he's done a thing to deserve either that his instability had him over the edge before he even returned to Salem after the river dumping.

Nick mistreated Will & Sonny first they did nothing at all to him. Will didn't know Nick well but Nick was never mis treated by Will at the time around talking about ... if fact Will did create an negative opinion of Nick until Nick manipulated Will into singing away his rights... even after all that Will took a bullet & saved Nick life and even then Nick could stop but for a short few months in going back after parting Arianna & Will again.

There was a point that Will said that he will simple never trust Nick that he doesn't wish him harm but that he will never trust him or trust him with Arianna.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

DiMeraFan67
May 2 2014, 09:15 AM
Poor Nick. I'm going to miss him and especially Blake Berris, who is probably the best male actor on the show, IMO.

I do think they're doing a great job of setting up tons of potential suspects and giving them legit reasons to want Nick dead. I just wish that we didn't know so many specifics about who is leaving, etc. It kinda ruins the story and that's what you get when you tape a year ahead. I'll just try to enjoy the story, but basically know what's going to happen.

The fact that its a hitman leads me to believe that Blake isn't even going to get to put on a clinic on the way out unless he haunts some people. I guess the confrontations with people around Salem are going to be his goodbye tour.
Or is he going to "fake his own death" again? I think it is all a set-up so that he can get his revenge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

gailwinters
May 2 2014, 09:52 AM
Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
I do not remember Abby and Nick being that close since I have been watching. Maybe they were when they were younger but since he was released from prison this last time I do not remember them really interacting until just recently.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

DiMeraFan67
May 2 2014, 10:12 AM
gailwinters
May 2 2014, 09:52 AM
Having read the whole article, I'm baffled as to why 2/3 of it is Kate Mansi talking....and talking....and talking about Abby's close relationship with Nick, Nick's motivations, Abby's motivations, Abby's understanding of Nick's motivations, Abby's whatever. Nick is almost an afterthought. Will, Sonny, and EJ are briefly mentioned.
Well either Kate Mansi is selling magazines or Days is making her talk every week. She isn't going to veer off track on her own and if she does they wouldn't print it. I mean really?
Maybe they interviewed her for several articles at one time (about the Ejabby affair etc) and just included her comments in this new article.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

Pookie
May 2 2014, 10:17 AM
Tripp
May 2 2014, 09:40 AM
jam6242
May 2 2014, 09:07 AM
Pookie
May 2 2014, 08:58 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
He was not previously obsessive in a dark way. He was socially awkward and didn't know how to go about getting a girl to like him. He was constantly being told he was a geek and not hot enough for anyone. So, he did create false identities on the internet who were more attractive to get Chelsea and Melanie interested in him. But he also had the biggest heart of anyone in Salem and would literally give someone his last cent to help them. He even saved Sami's life when she was pregnant with the twins and received a serious head injury as a result. Not to mention rescuing Melanie from the men her father pimped her out to and taking a bullet in the process. I know Nick can never be the same after all of his experiences, including prison, but to turn him into some cartoon villain, no better than Liam, makes me sick.
So much of his life had been out of his control for so long but in that instant he was able to take back the control and Gabi's sincere gratitude cemented it in his mind. But of course, that would be giving the writers any kind of credit and I hate to do that.
For ME, I believe the slippery slope began once he found out Gabi was pregnant with another man's child. Before that Nick was probably thinking "YES! A hot chick actually likes me for me and "gets" me! SCORE! She could be the one." Then the pregnancy happens and ruined all of his big dreams. But being the control freak that he is, he tried to turn it in his favor. If only he could get that weak-willed Will out of the way. Little did he realize that messing with Will was equal to screwing with Sami, Kate, Lucas and EJ. Stupid move. But, believing he was smarter than all of them combined, he went ahead with it anyways.
I agree.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

crookedhalo
May 2 2014, 02:31 PM
does the article mention Gabi, becaust today I saw why Gabi wold kill him, i think she realized that he would always own her and never leave her alone.
I think Gabby is finally figuring out that Nick is back to his old tricks and knows he will always be controlling her. He tells her she can decide later about contacting the lawyer about setting a court date about the custody agreement 'no pressure" then not five minutes later he is calling the lawyer and pressuring her to do just that. He will NEVER let her make her own decisions. He will ALWAYS be in control. If she tries to stand up to him he will throw her part in the "attempted murdeR" in her face and threaten her with prison.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kay
Member Avatar
Kay

Will&Sonny
May 3 2014, 02:00 PM
jam6242
May 3 2014, 11:35 AM
ladyofthelake
May 3 2014, 11:15 AM
DiMeraFan67
May 3 2014, 09:06 AM
I can safely say its not nostalgia. Blake Berris is great and Nick has tons of potential as a character.
This. Blake Berris, at least in my viewpoint, is a good enough actor (like AZ) to play nuances to Nick to equal the bad guy on the road to redemption, with some slipping along the way. It wouldn't necessarily have to be the "bad guy gone totally good" arc. But that would call for good writing. I guess I just find the actor an character much more intriguing than Will and Sonny. I honestly think there's a little fear in letting Will and Sonny go a little snarky or bad, for whatever reason. I find characters like that boring. I would much rather see conflict in which there are parts that make me MAD about both parties, but parts I like about both parties. I don't have that with Will and Sonny. They're just...........there. I'm not going to celebrate them for socially progressive purposes any more than I would bringing in any other diversity in which the characters make me snooze, only because TPTB brought them in for reasons of being "socially progressive". Might as well give me Sarah Palin. I can't stand her, but you gotta admit, her controversy can be dang entertaining!
I really wish sometimes that Nick would have been written as a "homophobe" of the type who is secretly questioning his own sexuality. I think Berris would have kicked that one out of the park, but that's more for Law and Order SVU, I suppose. Too hot for daytime.
I would have loved to have seen Nick in "A Beautiful Mind" type of story, struggling to fight mental illness. If Days is so high on social issues why not tackle that one? But obviously that would be too complicated for this writing crew. At this point, I don't even care who pulls the trigger. I will always associate this group with Nick's destruction so I'm going to have resentment for all them, to varying degrees. And the hypocrisy of some of them is mind boggling. The only consolation I have is that my all-time favorite Days character (Julie, another flawed character) sees him the way I do.
I'm not trying to argue here -- you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not trying to get you to agree with mine. But the way you see him isn't the way that he's being written. It's not the way that he's been written for a very long time -- longer, at this point, than he has been written to be the way you see him. That's why it comes across as waxing nostalgic to me. It's sort of like someone wistfully thinking about what could have been if Will had been straight and available to romance Paige (or whomever). He's not straight, so musing about what could have happened if he were is an exercise in futility.

Likewise, Nick isn't a sweet, likable character anymore. I'd say "in my opinion" there, but it's not even really an opinion, from where I'm standing -- I can't see how anyone who doesn't know the 2006 version of Nick could possibly see the 2012-2014 version of Nick as anything other than an obsessive, possessive, manipulative, controlling creep (and let's not forget the attempted rapist and murderer things). It's not even about Nick being "mean" to "poor Will" or "poor Sonny" or "poor Sami" or "poor E.J." or "poor Kate". He's not nice to Gabi -- manipulating someone and trying to control their entire life, subtly or not, isn't "nice". He's not even nice to family members like Julie, Hope, and Maggie -- he's manipulating and lying to them just as much as everyone else. The only person he's possibly being nice to at this point is Percy, and even that seems like it is being done purely for selfish reasons (to "stick it to" Kate).

Nick's just not that guy anymore, and he has shown no real desire to change (whining about how no one will believe that he has doesn't count). You can blame it on the writers, you can blame it on the producers, you can even blame it on Melanie or Will and Sonny, but it is what it is. And the writers had just as much of a right to tell this story as they did to tell a "redemption" story about Nick. This one seems more believable and realistic to me, given Nick's history. A dissociative identity disorder storyline is about the only thing I can think of that would have been even more realistic. But really, I doubt that Nick would have even been brought back in the first place if it weren't for Melanie's departure and Gabi's pregnancy storyline. The writers just don't seem that interested in who Nick possibly might have been nearly eight years ago.
Great post!
Offline Profile Goto Top

WilSonJAb33
Member Avatar

kay
May 3 2014, 08:39 PM
crookedhalo
May 2 2014, 02:31 PM
does the article mention Gabi, becaust today I saw why Gabi wold kill him, i think she realized that he would always own her and never leave her alone.
I think Gabby is finally figuring out that Nick is back to his old tricks and knows he will always be controlling her. He tells her she can decide later about contacting the lawyer about setting a court date about the custody agreement 'no pressure" then not five minutes later he is calling the lawyer and pressuring her to do just that. He will NEVER let her make her own decisions. He will ALWAYS be in control. If she tries to stand up to him he will throw her part in the "attempted murdeR" in her face and threaten her with prison.
Nick also started to show just how out of control, mental unstable and off the rails he was too through...
Nick most certainly up to his old trick but due to his mental state deteroiting how long can he last

I don't think he could hide it in the court room trying to get that custody agreement implemted I guessing Nick move will land Gabi in an all out custody battle unless she halts it the minute Nick's dead.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Deverauxfan
Member Avatar

Posted Image

Didn't really have a place for this post since it was not a tweet, but FS looks GOOD with scruff. :wub:

I hate what they did to Nick. Blake Berris is an amazing actor. Nick could have had a good redemption arc, but the writers were too lazy and unimaginative for that. :shame:
Offline Profile Goto Top

EmmyBee80
Member Avatar

It's it me or does this reminds anyone else of The Simpson's and "Who shot Mr. Burns"? Nick's been on a roll this week and I find it hilarious, the only thing missing here is showing EVERYONE with a gun!!! LOL!!! :laugh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

EmmyBee80
May 8 2014, 05:19 PM
It's it me or does this reminds anyone else of The Simpson's and "Who shot Mr. Burns"? Nick's been on a roll this week and I find it hilarious, the only thing missing here is showing EVERYONE with a gun!!! LOL!!! :laugh:
Mar Dar already used that story.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic