Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days and Y&R renew on Global in Canada
Topic Started: May 8 2014, 02:25 PM (714 Views)
Ellie

http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/news/shaw-and-sony-team-up-on-daytime-soaps/1003053012/?&er=NA
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Great news!

There was never any doubt....Y&R and DAYS are the top 2 rated soaps in Canada by a wide margin.

This is good for both soaps bottom lines!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 8 2014, 02:30 PM.

james0479
Member Avatar

Great news! Keep those sands A- flowing!!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Glad to see this! Would love to see the ratings and see how much of a wide margin.

Nate
Member Avatar

Yay, congrats y'all! : - ) I know there are lots of Canadians on this board.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Kirk
May 8 2014, 08:33 PM
Glad to see this! Would love to see the ratings and see how much of a wide margin.
DAYS & Y&R usually pull around approx 600,000-650,000 and 700,000-750,000 daily viewers for GLOBAL....this may not seem like a lot, except when you compare it to shows like TPIR and LMAD which don't even get over 100,000 daily viewers.

B&B was sent to the Canadian TV wasteland last year due to bad ratings (dropped from CTV to CTV2...this would be like CBS dropping one of their soaps from CBS to TVGN or worse). To give you an idea of how bad that is, B&B only reaches 1.2 million people in Canada (the country has 34 million people) that actually have CTV2, whereas CTV is available on every TV in the country.

GH gets just north of 200,000 viewers daily on CITY.

CITY/CTV and GLOBAL (along with non-soap CBC) are the 4 major Canadian TV networks.

It should also be pointed out that many Canadian also get the CBS/NBC/ABC stations as well, so they can watch their shows on those network aswell (those viewership numbers are not counted in Canadian ratings unless the station decides to sync programming for that 1 hr...this doesn't happen in all markets). What that means is if I am watching NBC in Canada, and DAYS is scheduled to come on at 1PM, GLOBAL may sync their broadcast overtop of NBC's...basically I am watching NBC, but it switches for that hour to GLOBAL and then when the show is over, it goes back to NBC. I suspect this only occurs in markets where the US network is pulling more viewers than the Canadian network and due to broadcasting laws in Canada, the 4 networks here basically get given special treatment/rights over foreign TV networks.

Another interesting note...ANOTHER WORLD was the #1 rated soap in Canada right up to the early 90's (this is when Y&R started airing at 4PM universally across Canada and was also moved to day-ahead universally)....it was the #3 soap (again by a wide margin) when it was forced off Canadian networks due to its cancellation from NBC. AW was wildly popular up here.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, May 9 2014, 10:45 AM.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
May 9 2014, 10:34 AM
Kirk
May 8 2014, 08:33 PM
DAYS & Y&R usually pull around approx 600,000-650,000 and 700,000-750,000 daily viewers for GLOBAL....this may not seem like a lot, except when you compare it to shows like TPIR and LMAD which don't even get over 100,000 daily viewers.

B&B was sent to the Canadian TV wasteland last year due to bad ratings (dropped from CTV to CTV2...this would be like CBS dropping one of their soaps from CBS to TVGN or worse). To give you an idea of how bad that is, B&B only reaches 1.2 million people in Canada (the country has 34 million people) that actually have CTV2, whereas CTV is available on every TV in the country.

GH gets just north of 200,000 viewers daily on CITY.

CITY/CTV and GLOBAL (along with non-soap CBC) are the 4 major Canadian TV networks.

It should also be pointed out that many Canadian also get the CBS/NBC/ABC stations as well, so they can watch their shows on those network aswell (those viewership numbers are not counted in Canadian ratings unless the station decides to sync programming for that 1 hr...this doesn't happen in all markets). What that means is if I am watching NBC in Canada, and DAYS is scheduled to come on at 1PM, GLOBAL may sync their broadcast overtop of NBC's...basically I am watching NBC, but it switches for that hour to GLOBAL and then when the show is over, it goes back to NBC. I suspect this only occurs in markets where the US network is pulling more viewers than the Canadian network and due to broadcasting laws in Canada, the 4 networks here basically get given special treatment/rights over foreign TV networks.

Another interesting note...ANOTHER WORLD was the #1 rated soap in Canada right up to the early 90's (this is when Y&R started airing at 4PM universally across Canada and was also moved to day-ahead universally)....it was the #3 soap (again by a wide margin) when it was forced off Canadian networks due to its cancellation from NBC. AW was wildly popular up here.
Thanks for this. Interesting info. Another World should have been popular because it was awesome! I really miss having Another World paired with Days. I think it would do Days a lot of good to have a partner show. They've been fending for themselves for years while GH had the other soaps until two years ago and The Chew actually does good ratings now. And CBS just has a massive Daytime juggernaut. That has to be factored into NBC's consideration every time they don't cancel Days.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

As one of the Canadian DAYS viewer, I am very happy about this news!!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply