Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Jen Lilley: I'm married!
Topic Started: May 9 2014, 07:50 AM (5,245 Views)
Ellie

This week's issue of Soap Opera Digest features a lengthy interview with Jen Lilley, where she relates that she's been married since 2007.

She describes how she's tried to hide this fact, going as far as to have her husband, Jason, remove his wedding ring when they appeared at events together. She felt that revealing her marital status would age her in terms of casting.

She and Jason would like to start a family in the next few years, and she doesn't want people to think it will have been a shotgun wedding if she reveals this fact at that point.

She describes at length her husband's proposal, her engagement, and her wedding. She also relates a story about a fan (she doesn't say from which show) who broke into her house and stalked her.

Pick up the latest Digest for many more details!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rosebud
Member Avatar

WEIRD.

IIttu
Member Avatar

okay..?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Umm. That sounds like a great marriage.

Kaha
Member Avatar

It just shows how this industry is still difficult for women. All the double standards and the way female actors are treated just makes some young women succumb to that pressure. Also, when a young female actor is married, it becomes harder to hire her for a prominent role before she makes a name for herself because the might worry about pregnancy. It's strange but the way she was always gushing about Jason I assumed she was married.

freedom

Eh. Ok.

I hope they don't write her pregnancy into the show and make it Brady's baby. I would rather have her hide behind plants for 9 months.

blueskies
Member Avatar

she did a radio interview recently (like last week?) where she said she always told casting/other she was 25 but then saw that someone posted her age on the internet so now she's going by her real age.

I have to say it is sad that she felt she had to do all that for roles.

six
Member Avatar

I've read posts from people who assume she's about 21, so I can see why she'd be hesitant to reveal that she got married seven years ago.

blueskies
Member Avatar

...and i just read the part about the fan. Weird and creepy....think it was GH? I feel like if it had been Days it would have been known (though maybe not).

Kaha
Member Avatar

How old is she?

six
Member Avatar

She's turning 30 this year.

Kaha
Member Avatar

six
May 9 2014, 08:43 AM
She's turning 30 this year.
Wow! Great genes.

Mouse Mom

I also think it is sad that she felt she needed to hide her age, but realistically, she probably made the right choice, she looks younger than she is and can play younger parts. And I think that "Theresa" looks like a young "Julie." Which is meant as a compliment.

Will&Sonny

As long as her husband was truly understanding and supportive of this decision (instead of feeling like it was her way of hiding him from the world due to being ashamed of him or whatever) -- and it sounds like he probably was, if she was seen gushing about him at fan events as stated above -- I see nothing wrong with this (from a personal standpoint, that is -- not from an industry standpoint [meaning that Jen Lilley did nothing wrong, but it's still sad that she felt the need to do this in the first place, and even sadder that she was likely absolutely right to do so]). An actor's personal life is no one's business but their own.

fundays13
Member Avatar

Rosebud
May 9 2014, 07:52 AM
WEIRD.
So i wonder if he has some kind of disability and she was ashamed. :facepalm:

Theres no jystifiable reason for this. If it was her age,how incredibly shallow and vain.
Edited by fundays13, May 9 2014, 10:18 AM.

Will&Sonny

That said, I do wonder if she would have continued to keep this secret for the foreseeable future if that HGTV program that featured her and her husband buying a house together hadn't aired and hadn't attracted viewers who recognized her. The timing seems suspicious, and the pregnancy angle could just be her way of spinning it to make it look like it was entirely her decision to finally reveal the truth at this particular time.

But again, she did nothing wrong, as long as she wasn't making her husband feel unimportant. And seven years is a pretty long time in Hollywood, unfortunately, so the marriage probably wouldn't have lasted this long if he had indeed been uncomfortable with the secret.

Will&Sonny

fundays13
May 9 2014, 10:15 AM
Rosebud
WEIRD.

Theres no jystifiable reason for this. If it was her age,how incredibly shallow and vain.
It's not her age, it's her career. Which happens to be directly related to her age (and many other things about her). Blame the industry, not her.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

fundays13
May 9 2014, 10:15 AM
Rosebud
WEIRD.

Huh? It's kinda weird, but I don't see anything that indicates it's about vanity or something wrong with her husband. She's in an industry where she has lots more opportunities if she can play younger and saying that she's been married for seven years does draw attention to her real age.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Her birthday is August 4,1984.

That's only a few weeks older than me.

jdawg1077

blueskies
May 9 2014, 08:37 AM
...and i just read the part about the fan. Weird and creepy....think it was GH? I feel like if it had been Days it would have been known (though maybe not).
I know that she recently had some difficulties with a Days fan on Twitter. I accidentally stumbled upon some tweets where it seemed clear that the person (a fan) was desperately trying to become her friend in real life (as well as other soap actors). I won't mention the person's twitter handle, but it seems that they were actually harmless (and suffered from a developmental disorder). But it reminded me of what some actors have to deal with, especially in the age of Twitter and FB.

Side note: the person I mention above is likely *not* the person who Jen references in the article.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply