Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Advocate Op-Ed: Why Wilson might be the most important couple on TV
Topic Started: May 15 2014, 09:42 AM (1,085 Views)
Ellie

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2014/05/15/op-ed-why-days-our-lives-will-sonny-might-be-most-important-couple-tv
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blueskies
Member Avatar

why did they use a pic of Chandler?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

What a cool article. Gotta say I agree. People get all UGH that Wilson seem too perfect, not enough angst (think that's about to change lol), etc but I find their love and devotion to each other the most refreshing thing on the show! Just my opinion. Oh and it's funny how they used Chandler's pic instead of Guy's. Poor Guy ;)

IIttu
Member Avatar

Quote:

This is a test: Which couple in the following scenarios is unlike the others?

A) After being dumped by her fiancé, a woman drugs and rapes his stepbrother, a priest, in an elaborate revenge plot against the priest's mother for orchestrating the break-up.

B) A man cheats on his fiancée to help cover up her "murder" of a neighborhood villain who eventually turns out to be alive.

C) An Italian mobster sends a dirty cop to the hospital room of his ex-wife's comatose recent paramour to "cut it off" (his manhood, that is).

D) A young man invites his live-in lover's ex, with whom the live-in lover has a newborn daughter, to move in with the baby.

Ah, this sums up so well why I don't enjoy Days at all at the moment. I like Wilson though, but they've been very backburnered since Guy started playing Will.. (which probably is only a good thing knowing TomSell's plot ideas...)
Edited by IIttu, May 15 2014, 11:03 AM.

marybee50
Member Avatar

Over at We Love Soaps they have a clip of Will coming out to Lumi because it happened two years ago today.Such great scenes.Even Alison Sweeney.Now I have to go back and watch some more of those clips.

sillibella
Member Avatar

Interesting article. Personally I don't care that their story can get a bit "boring." I don't want to see them constantly having angst like others in Salem. It's perfectly fine, imo, to just be happy in love. They are a great couple together and I'm glad that they're married and have Ari. I'm such a sucker for a cute romance story. :wub:

Angelsmile

sillibella
May 15 2014, 06:36 PM
Interesting article. Personally I don't care that their story can get a bit "boring." I don't want to see them constantly having angst like others in Salem. It's perfectly fine, imo, to just be happy in love. They are a great couple together and I'm glad that they're married and have Ari. I'm such a sucker for a cute romance story. :wub:
:cheer: :wub: :cheer: ITA
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I don't care that their romance is boring, but I wish they were better as individual characters. They are just such a unit that it makes it lame, IMO. Their big fans might enjoy having their couple be such a unit, but it does make it boring for me, personally.

I find Sonny to be infinitely more intriguing than Will, but they just don't let Sonny be his own character. We do get hints of it here and there and I LOVE when Sonny lets some of that Kiriakis out. Its okay that he isn't cutthroat because Justin isn't like Victor either, but I just want to see shades of it. I also wish he didn't own the dumbass coffee shop and whatever TBD is. That should be some minor character and Sonny needs to get involved in the family business or do anything else but what he does. It lends to him being boring.

They obviously turned Will into a supporting character when they switched from Chandler to Guy. Maybe that was because they wanted to ease Guy into it, but it was silly because he had to be part of such major stories, including the wedding. I just don't like Will much anymore and I feel like he will never be the lead on this show that he was always destined and groomed to be.

sillibella
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
May 15 2014, 07:22 PM
I find Sonny to be infinitely more intriguing than Will, but they just don't let Sonny be his own character. We do get hints of it here and there and I LOVE when Sonny lets some of that Kiriakis out. Its okay that he isn't cutthroat because Justin isn't like Victor either, but I just want to see shades of it. I also wish he didn't own the dumbass coffee shop and whatever TBD is. That should be some minor character and Sonny needs to get involved in the family business or do anything else but what he does. It lends to him being boring.
I adore Sonny. I have been wanting Days to fully explore the character even since he came to Salem but after 3 years I just don't see them doing it. I actually enjoy the fact that Days gave Sonny the club to co-own with Chad. At least that's something to keep him tied to Salem. Otherwise he'd have no known job and be there 100% for Will. This way he at least has something that is his own. I agree with you and would rather see Sonny being involved in the family business but the writers would have to give a shit about the Kiriakis family and Victor, tbh, for that to happen and they just don't. It's a shame. I wish Days loved the Kiriakis family even half as much as I do. :(

Kaha
Member Avatar

I like the Op-Ed. It's important that the TPTB know that fans like WilSon. It helps that they get big exposure and publicity instead of only hearing from the rabid reactionaries.

Having said that, I wish the writers give Sonny and Will an interesting s/l that doesn't revolve around Ari and Sami. Between them, they come from such a rich history that they can draw from. I want Sonny to be involved with Victor and maybe to create some sort of professional conflict between Brady and Sonny. I want Will to do something interesting exploring his family history. As a writer, maybe he decides to write about his great grandparents and he discovers some hidden family secrets. He can team up with JJ and use Hope's law enforcement connection to help with the search. And if that doesn't work, he can use Victor's underground network. Why can't Sonny and Will have a mystery while being happy and in-love?

Luce

DiMeraFan67
I don't care that their romance is boring, but I wish they were better as individual characters. They are just such a unit that it makes it lame, IMO. Their big fans might enjoy having their couple be such a unit, but it does make it boring for me, personally.

They obviously turned Will into a supporting character when they switched from Chandler to Guy. Maybe that was because they wanted to ease Guy into it, but it was silly because he had to be part of such major stories, including the wedding. I just don't like Will much anymore and I feel like he will never be the lead on this show that he was always destined and groomed to be.
I like the couple, but I agree with most of this anyway.

I don't mind as much about Sonny being an entrepreneur though. (I actually wish his club had stayed the coffee shop - the TBD set is horrific). Him being so industrious at least makes him a sensible choice for the family business, he has actual business skill. It puts him at the center of so many people's interactions, too. They could certainly use that in future storylines instead of just having him back there serving drinks.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Luce
May 15 2014, 08:48 PM
DiMeraFan67

I like the couple, but I agree with most of this anyway.

I don't mind as much about Sonny being an entrepreneur though. (I actually wish his club had stayed the coffee shop - the TBD set is horrific). Him being so industrious at least makes him a sensible choice for the family business, he has actual business skill. It puts him at the center of so many people's interactions, too. They could certainly use that in future storylines instead of just having him back there serving drinks.
I really don't mind Sonny going out and owning his own business. That's all fine with me. Although I'll admit Sonny vs. Brady would be a way better scenario and bring in Philip, obviously. I just think he's a glorified bartender/barista at this point. I mean yeah he owns it, but who cares? That isn't part of his story really.

specialcases
Member Avatar
your own "personal" Jesus

"VIRGINIA Grayson"?? LMAO

jotalina
Member Avatar

Sonny is my favorite character and is one of the reasons why I started watching Days.
I like this article and the way how explain the reason why we loved WilSon and nothing can be more accurate than a picture of Chandler and Freddie :wub2: they made an amazing job even when their s/l wasn't good they made it better. But I think when Chandler left we not only lost what is obvious when they have someone new to play the part but there was a change in the writing of the character and I think THAT is what is bothering me the most about this nuWill.
I hope now that Nick is out of the picture they get a s/l with the Kiriakis family involved it would be great to have Sonny's brothers around, is that too much to ask?? :shrug:

stormymac
Member Avatar

I'm glad they changed the picture to one from WilSon's wedding.

nananana7
Member Avatar

Posted Image
That's the pic the article originally had.

stormymac
May 16 2014, 01:58 AM
I'm glad they changed the picture to one from WilSon's wedding.
I agree!
Edited by nananana7, May 16 2014, 04:55 AM.

Yoryla
Member Avatar

Quote:

This is a test: Which couple in the following scenarios is unlike the others?

A) After being dumped by her fiancé, a woman drugs and rapes his stepbrother, a priest, in an elaborate revenge plot against the priest's mother for orchestrating the break-up.

B) A man cheats on his fiancée to help cover up her "murder" of a neighborhood villain who eventually turns out to be alive.

C) An Italian mobster sends a dirty cop to the hospital room of his ex-wife's comatose recent paramour to "cut it off" (his manhood, that is).

D) A young man invites his live-in lover's ex, with whom the live-in lover has a newborn daughter, to move in with the baby.
Hahaa :blulaugh: Love these options :blulaugh:

I still really like Wilson. I also hope though that they would get a business conflinct storyline or something to do with the Kiriakis' and/or Sonny being a bit more dark. I think something like this might eventually happen though but not really this year anymore, I think that after the Nick/Gabi thing is wrapped up they will be moved to the backburner for awhile again.
Edited by Yoryla, May 16 2014, 08:26 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply