Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: "She's a pistol" - Gabi killed Nick
Topic Started: May 30 2014, 12:13 AM (5,240 Views)
sillibella
Member Avatar

kay
May 31 2014, 01:09 AM
Pookie
May 30 2014, 08:45 AM
A bit off topic...now that Will and Sonny are married, can Sonny legally adopt Ari? Is that possible? The only example I can think of is Brad Pitt officially adopting Angelina's adopted kids after they got together. Would Gabi need to give her permission?

I'm just thinking in the future Sonny might need to have his rights secured in case of an emergency involving Ari.
I was thinking the same thing. Like a medical emergency while Will is out of town or something. I would think Sonny could adopt her as long as Gabi gave her consent.
I've heard of some children having three legal parents before so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, at least in the real world. Sonny has already been included in the custody agreement but he'll only have rights if something happens to Will. It'd be nice to see him get actual legal custody of Ari along with Will and Gabi. If Days wants to continue to do "real-to-life" storylines with WilSon, since they are already married and with a child, some of the next steps would include Sonny eventually adopting Ari (though this would take maybe an episode or two) and them possibly talking about having another child via adoption or surrogate. Either of those types of storylines would give them ample possible material for drama....but knowing Days they'll just go with the cliche storyline and make one of them very sick or almost kill off one of them to provide drama.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kaha
Member Avatar

kay
Pookie
A bit off topic...now that Will and Sonny are married, can Sonny legally adopt Ari? Is that possible? The only example I can think of is Brad Pitt officially adopting Angelina's adopted kids after they got together. Would Gabi need to give her permission?

I'm just thinking in the future Sonny might need to have his rights secured in case of an emergency involving Ari.
I was thinking the same thing. Like a medical emergency while Will is out of town or something. I would think Sonny could adopt her as long as Gabi gave her consent.
He already has his rights secured. In the custody agreement, by Gabi's request, it's stated that if anything should happen to Will and Gabi and they can't take care of Ari then Ari stays with Sonny. This means he will have full custody and sole decision maker about anything relating to her.

DaysAddiction
Member Avatar

Kaha
May 31 2014, 08:47 AM
kay
Pookie

He already has his rights secured. In the custody agreement, by Gabi's request, it's stated that if anything should happen to Will and Gabi and they can't take care of Ari then Ari stays with Sonny. This means he will have full custody and sole decision maker about anything relating to her.
I hope nothing does happen to Will and I just love Will and Sonny as a couple. They really do make the perfect couple. :wub2:

nananana7
Member Avatar

Pookie

kay
Kaha

What we've been told about the most recent version of the custody agreement is:
  • Regardless of whether there are 3, 2, or one parent(s) -- Rafe will always be guaranteed some access to Ari.
  • If anything happens to "BOTH" Gabi and Will, then Ari stays with Sonny.
From what we've been told onscreen, there isn't anything about what happens if just one bio-parent is gone -- if only Will *OR* Gabi is gone.

Does the new custody agreement say that -- if only ONE bioparent is gone, that Sonny would have joint custody with the remaining biological parent? I don't think it says that at all. (unless there are details in the agreement that weren't mentioned onscreen).

What if one parent (Gabi) is out of the picture ... and just Will remains as the active parent -- what happens if Will is out of town with a broken phone and unable to be reached -- and Ari has a medical emergency? Will Sonny be able to make medical decisions for Ari in that circumstance? They could sign medical power-of-attorney paperwork and have it on file with all local doctors/hospitals, but that's a bit unwieldy.

If Ari if Gabi is gone while Will is still in the picture -- then Sonny adopting Ari would give Sonny full coparenting rights.

Edit to add: Regarding legal precedent:
Sonny is legally Ari's stepfather, because of his marriage to Will.
I know several situations in real life ...
where one bioparent still alive and in contact, but unable to help -- and the stepparent was legally able to adopt the child.
In fact, a close friend of mine's biodad was in jail and her stepdad adopted her -- and this was 45 years ago.
Edited by nananana7, May 31 2014, 03:18 PM.

Lady Evol
Member Avatar

nananana7
May 31 2014, 02:49 PM
Pookie

kay
Kaha

What we've been told about the most recent version of the custody agreement is:
  • Regardless of whether there are 3, 2, or one parent(s) -- Rafe will always be guaranteed some access to Ari.
  • If anything happens to "BOTH" Gabi and Will, then Ari stays with Sonny.
From what we've been told onscreen, there isn't anything about what happens if just one bio-parent is gone -- if only Will *OR* Gabi is gone.

Does the new custody agreement say that -- if only ONE bioparent is gone, that Sonny would have joint custody with the remaining biological parent? I don't think it says that at all. (unless there are details in the agreement that weren't mentioned onscreen).

What if one parent (Gabi) is out of the picture ... and just Will remains as the active parent -- what happens if Will is out of town with a broken phone and unable to be reached -- and Ari has a medical emergency? Will Sonny be able to make medical decisions for Ari in that circumstance? They could sign medical power-of-attorney paperwork and have it on file with all local doctors/hospitals, but that's a bit unwieldy.

If Ari if Gabi is gone while Will is still in the picture -- then Sonny adopting Ari would give Sonny full coparenting rights.

Edit to add: Regarding legal precedent:
Sonny is legally Ari's stepfather, because of his marriage to Will.
I know several situations in real life ...
where one bioparent still alive and in contact, but unable to help -- and the stepparent was legally able to adopt the child.
In fact, a close friend of mine's biodad was in jail and her stepdad adopted her -- and this was 45 years ago.
You don't need power of attorney to take your stepchild to the hospital or anything else related to them. The only thing a legal adoption does is

1) terminate parental rights for one parent, including dissolving any monetary ties (child support, inheritance, etc).

2) legally make the new parent the parent on the birth certificate of the child (which you apply for as soon as the adoption order has been finalized). This has the benefit of making the step parent the parent a child is raised by if the other parent dies (ie: even when Gabi gets out of prison, if will died and Sonny had adopted Ari, Gabi wouldn't get her, Sonny would).

Because it's severing the parental ties between one parent and the child forever, unless the courts take away Gabi's parental rights (which would most likely have to be initiated by Will and Sonny), Gabi would have to agree. And it's not reversable. It's not like a custody agreement, it's just boom. That's no longer your kid. No parent would agree with it "in case the kid needs to go to the hospital" lol.

The standard for a parent to be deemed unfit and lose their parental rights (real world) is insanely high, which is why sex offenders, murderers and people who use drugs in front of their kids keep getting their kids back when they get out of jail. The courts try REALLY hard to not sever those ties.

Georgia is an interesting exception- but I doubt anyone is actually interested lol. Can you tell I'm currently going through a step parent adoption with my son and my husband? Meh. The courts are kind of broken.

In the case of your friend, the dad in jail probably agreed to it because it released him from child support he'd have to make up when he got out.
Edited by Lady Evol, Jun 1 2014, 01:39 AM.

nananana7
Member Avatar

^ @LadyEvol, thanks for sharing what you've learned about stepparents adopting.
I didn't realize that Gabi would have to agree to terminate her rights. I don't see her doing that.

sillibella
May 31 2014, 01:33 AM
I've heard of some children having three legal parents before so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, at least in the real world.
Interesting!

Wonder if three parents are allowed in "Salem USA"?
Edited by nananana7, Jun 1 2014, 02:41 AM.

Powernat

Thank God she killed him. I hated the storyline.

JaimeLannister
Member Avatar

I've always hated Gabi so I'm actually surprised by how much sympathy I feel for her. There's something tragic about this story.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

DaysAddiction
May 31 2014, 02:21 PM
Kaha
kay
Pookie

I hope nothing does happen to Will and I just love Will and Sonny as a couple. They really do make the perfect couple. :wub2:
Just out of curiosity, what constitutes "the perfect couple"? And I don't mean this in any sense of "a same sex couple can't be a perfect couple". I'd ask that about any couple someone says is "the perfect couple".
I'd love to know, seeing as couples, even on TV, aren't generally perfect.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Kaha
kay
Pookie

Sonny could not legally adopt Ari in most places unless Will or Gabi signed away their rights.

However, there was recently a landmark case that may change all that. A lesbian couple used a male friend as a sperm donor. The man was not a legal parent due to an agreement before the birth but was a part of the child's life. Eventually, one of the mothers went to jail while the other became too ill to care for the child. There was no legal paperwork that stated the bio dad was next in line so the kid went into foster care.

All three (two mommies, one daddy) went to court and the court granted full paternal rights to the father. That means the boy has three legal parents. This was considered a great victory not just for gay families but for stepparents in general who often have no legal rights but invest much time, money and emotion into their stepchildren and essentially function as adoptive parents. In this case, the fact that it was the bio dad certainly helped and it's unlikely anything like this could happen without the consent of all parties.

So, things are changing for the better. One thing that I've liked is that Days did acknowledge Sonny's precarious legal position while also portraying him as a full-on parent to Arianna.

One thing I disliked yesterday was the implication that Ari will not get to see Gabi again. Prisons have made great strides in having family visiting days and Gabi should be able to see and communicate with Ari often. Days could write a few throw away lines here and there about Wilson or Rafe taking her to see her mother. I get that we won't see it onscreen, but still.
Edited by Honeybees, Jun 3 2014, 07:02 AM.

January

It would have been nice if the writers wrote a little more between Hope and Nick to really get the payoff they are after here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply