Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday, June 2nd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: May 31 2014, 02:33 AM (21,015 Views)
am103
Member Avatar

I actually liked Nathan and Melanie as a couple, and I liked Nathan and Stephanie even better. I loved the story of Chloe and Philip's infidelity and Days had me until the reveal when Melanie became pregnant with Philip's baby. That was a GROSS, unnecessary plot twist that went nowhere and produced NO drama. It was after Melanie's miscarriage where she started to become intolerable for me and I didn't care what happened to her one way or another.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

naptown
Member Avatar

I didn't mind Nathan that much either, until he became all about Melanie. It was certainly nice to have an actual Horton onscreen, rather than the rest of the huge family who is spoken of but rarely seen. Ever notice that Hope, Julie, Maggie, and Jennifer (and her kids) are often the Hortons who get mentioned or listed as Hortons by other characters, but Lucas and Will are rarely treated like Hortons?

Perhaps it's my disdain for all things Jonas being shoved down our throat, but did it feel like they continued to make Maggie less of Nathan's grandmother and in his orbit once they decided to tie her to the Saintly Oranges? I can't agree more with what MH had to say about the show being focused on 5 actors, and it's still true today.

I think it would be interesting to see, if Nathan was on the show now, how he would deal with his Tom Horton inferiority complex and the Horton legacy at the hospital with Anne Milbauer there.

Edited by naptown, Jun 1 2014, 10:26 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

lysie
May 31 2014, 07:30 PM
PALMommy
May 31 2014, 03:14 PM
I'm totally the cheese standing alone on this, but I really liked Nathan and his character. It was Melanie that I hated in regards to Nathan.
I didn't mind him at all. But what always comes to mind with him is how he was ALL ABOUT Melanie/Nathan being the next big supercouple and he was basically shipping them any time he opened his mouth, but onscreen he played Nathan as totally in love with Stephanie. It was so weird.
Yes, this. Either Mark was a very bad actor or lying in his interviews because no matter how many times he said that Nathan was all about Melanie, the character always lit up when Stephanie was in the room and never had that reaction to Melanie. It was pretty bizarre.

blueskies
Member Avatar

esp13
Jun 1 2014, 10:37 AM
lysie
PALMommy
I'm totally the cheese standing alone on this, but I really liked Nathan and his character. It was Melanie that I hated in regards to Nathan.
I didn't mind him at all. But what always comes to mind with him is how he was ALL ABOUT Melanie/Nathan being the next big supercouple and he was basically shipping them any time he opened his mouth, but onscreen he played Nathan as totally in love with Stephanie. It was so weird.
Yes, this. Either Mark was a very bad actor or lying in his interviews because no matter how many times he said that Nathan was all about Melanie, the character always lit up when Stephanie was in the room and never had that reaction to Melanie. It was pretty bizarre.
Pretty sure it's the former. The writing had it play like Nathan was all about Melanie and not Stephanie, but Mark sure as heck had the opposite reactions (most likely b/c in real life he was more attracted to Shelley, which who can honestly blame him, she's gorgeous).

ArnoldFinnegan
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jun 1 2014, 11:43 AM
esp13
lysie
PALMommy
Pretty sure it's the former. The writing had it play like Nathan was all about Melanie and not Stephanie, but Mark sure as heck had the opposite reactions (most likely b/c in real life he was more attracted to Shelley, which who can honestly blame him, she's gorgeous).
And in soap life, Nathan and Phillip should have been more into Stephanie than Melanie too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

ArnoldFinnegan
Jun 1 2014, 12:06 PM
blueskies
esp13
lysie

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
And in soap life, Nathan and Phillip should have been more into Stephanie than Melanie too.
I thought Philip/Stephanie had so much potential. If they would have let the families be involved as some major opposition, instead of dumping SN and MBE, it could have been even better.

concerned
Member Avatar

ArnoldFinnegan
blueskies
esp13
lysie

I just have to admit I'll never understand how men in Salem think.

BeeBee
Member Avatar

concerned
Jun 1 2014, 01:14 PM
ArnoldFinnegan
blueskies
esp13

I just have to admit I'll never understand how men in Salem think.
The writers make the men idiots and the women weak and needy with a side of stupid.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
lysie
PALMommy
I think that was more MH reacting to SH than Nathan reacting to Stephanie, LOL.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
May 31 2014, 02:44 PM
DaysAddiction
May 31 2014, 02:10 PM
james0479
May 31 2014, 11:46 AM
Wasn't there some rant on twitter around the time Hapka was leaving the show? For whatever reason I seem to remember him going on a tirade and I found it hilarious but now I can't recall it.
Who is Hapka? I have absolutely no clue who that is
He played Nathan Horton, who was the son of Maggie's daughter, Melissa.
Who sprang fully formed out of a writer's ass and I still have not the first fucking clue how he fits into show cannon/continuity, who his father is, or how the fuck he ended up with the last name "Horton". :shrug:

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 1 2014, 08:58 PM
jam6242
DaysAddiction
james0479
May 31 2014, 11:46 AM
Wasn't there some rant on twitter around the time Hapka was leaving the show? For whatever reason I seem to remember him going on a tirade and I found it hilarious but now I can't recall it.
Who is Hapka? I have absolutely no clue who that is
Who sprang fully formed out of a writer's ass and I still have not the first fucking clue how he fits into show cannon/continuity, who his father is, or how the fuck he ended up with the last name "Horton". :shrug:
Corday said in an interview that he was Pete's, but at not point did they actually say that. I've always wondered if that was his own form of fanfiction.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

lysie
Jun 1 2014, 09:01 PM
Matt
jam6242
DaysAddiction

Corday said in an interview that he was Pete's, but at not point did they actually say that. I've always wondered if that was his own form of fanfiction.
I never knew Corday actually said that. I thought we'd all just fanwanked that. Granted, my fanwank is still that he's a renamed Charlie Jannings that Melissa somehow adopted at some point. lol

lysie
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 1 2014, 10:06 PM
lysie
Jun 1 2014, 09:01 PM
Matt
jam6242

I never knew Corday actually said that. I thought we'd all just fanwanked that. Granted, my fanwank is still that he's a renamed Charlie Jannings that Melissa somehow adopted at some point. lol
I'll see if I can find it. I think it was when he first started.

lysie
Member Avatar

Summer Preview 2009. Idk if this is a direct quote from the magazine or not. We were still allowed to do that then, but it looks different. However, Ellie says at the beginning of the write-up that all quotes are from Corday.

Melanie/Nathan: Maggie's grandson Nathan, Melissa and Pete's son, is played by newcomer Mark Hapka. He moves in with Maggie and Mickey, and he is a first-year intern at University Hospital. "Sparks fly when he meets Melanie and learns they'll be living under the same roof."

Marlene

I have to admit I did like Nathan and Melanie. To me it was a much better fit than Melanie and Philip. Granted, the ages may have been as off as Melanie and Philip but to me MH played it younger so it worked with the younger Melanie. The character would have been fine with Stephanie, too, but the chemistry just wasn't there for me. The crying ending, though was pathetic.

Rosebud
Member Avatar

lysie
Jun 1 2014, 10:10 PM
Summer Preview 2009. Idk if this is a direct quote from the magazine or not. We were still allowed to do that then, but it looks different. However, Ellie says at the beginning of the write-up that all quotes are from Corday.

Melanie/Nathan: Maggie's grandson Nathan, Melissa and Pete's son, is played by newcomer Mark Hapka. He moves in with Maggie and Mickey, and he is a first-year intern at University Hospital. "Sparks fly when he meets Melanie and learns they'll be living under the same roof."
I never knew Pissa had a son. I thought she left him soon after marrying him because of Lars?

Sweet and Salty

Rosebud
May 31 2014, 02:33 PM
lysie
May 31 2014, 02:33 AM
No clue who that is. :shrug:
Nathan.

Blondo87

I actually loved Nathan and Melanie I thought they had superb chemistry and honestly they had so much potential until the writers decided to ruin Melanie's character and make annoying like Daniel's character that's when I started hating after her relationship with Nathan ended. Actually Melanie and Philip were horrible and when watching you could totally somehow feel that Jay Kenneth Johnson hated that pairing there was no chemistry whatsoever. Philip's character to me will always belong with Chloe. Chloe and Philip belong together and I hate Tomsell and Corday for making Parker's father be saint Daniel. I truly hate Daniel's character the writers are forcing him on us too much. This show was destoryed when the writers introduced Daniel and Melanie's characters and that was the end of DOOL for me

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Okay, here we go...

We begin with Rafe and Jordan making out in bed and Rafe makes a mildly dirty joke about her wanting to put her phone on vibrate.

Then, we get a redo of the Gabi confession to Will and everyone's WTF looks. A woman (DA?) walks in and EJ silences Gabi.

Saint Jen-Jen stares in heartbreak at the picture of the foursome and flashes back.

A redo of Nicole arriving in the garden and Eric stares at her. Did you get a call from Daniel. No one called. He stares her down and she says we have to go. Nicole is in serious denial.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Why aren't you moving? Says Nicole. What about Daniel says Eric (summing up the entire story) and they talk about Daniel. And Eric pushes Nicole to talk to Daniel and she demurs. Eric looks sad and angry at her obvious dissembling.

DA is confused why two people are trying to confess. EJ silences everyone and wants alone with Gabi. Hope says she's going to call Rafe. Gabi says she would never have let Will go to prison for her and he says listen to EJ that this is not black and white. When they are alone, EJ says "let's see if we can get you out of here." Meanwhile, Hope has said there will be proof soon. She is not a tiny bit surprised.
Edited by Honeybees, Jun 2 2014, 11:07 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply