Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday, June 2nd Daily Discussion
Topic Started: May 31 2014, 02:33 AM (20,465 Views)
Will&Sonny

cryin4days
Jun 3 2014, 10:01 AM
Kaha
Jun 3 2014, 08:03 AM
JaimeLannister
Jun 3 2014, 06:10 AM
Will&Sonny
Jun 3 2014, 02:05 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
There was never anything selfless about Will avoiding his responsibility as a father. He came off as a coward who attempted to rationalize his decision by saying he was doing it for his daughter's sake.
I don't care about how Nick/Gabi/Will storyline was rewritten but I watched it on my screen and I didn't see what you're talking about. Will was straight out of high school, he was struggling with his identity and an older cousin who was an ardent homophone manipulated him into thinking the baby would be better off raised in "stable home," and with two parents. Throughout that first storyline, almost all of Will's conversations with Nick and Gabi (together or separately) revolved around what's best for the baby and about how Gabi and Nick were a better option for her. Will's turbulent childhood came in to the discussion more than anything else. Will agonized over this and when he came to term with the situation and fell in love with his unborn baby, Nick blackmailed him. So, for Will, it was a choice between ruining his family's life or letting his baby live with her mother and the homophobe of her choice. But even that didn't take long for Will to realize it was not a good option for his daughter.

Will was young and confused. Besides, you're making it seem like no one can ever decide their child would have a better life if they were raised by someone else. You are condemning a lot of parents who give up their children out of love and necessity. If biology was the only deciding factor as to what makes a parent then we're in a lot of trouble.
I'd like to agree with you on this but there was a scene between Will and Justin in the square where Will alluded to giving up his daughter so that he wouldn't loose Sonny. That scene was followed by a scene between Sonny and Justin at the coffee house where Justin asked Sonny if he knew why Will was willing to walk away from his daughter. Those scenes aired during that episode where Will saw Sonny leave the coffee house with Brian. And then there was the key return episode in February 2013 where Will actually told Sonny that even though he knew it was messed up he chose Sonny over his own kid. I initially believed Will was giving up his rights because he truly believed he was doing what was best for Ari by giving her a home with two parents, but then these scenes/conversations came along. I didn't like the implication at all that Will was walking away from his child to hold onto Sonny. Whether it's their intention or not, the writers sometimes show Will as choosing Sonny over Ari.
But before any of those scenes aired, plenty of other scenes aired that showed the opposite -- that Will's decision had not had anything to do with Sonny at all but had instead been all about providing the baby with stability. So which do we believe? You might choose to believe the scenes that came later, but I choose to believe the scenes that came first (the very definition of a retcon is a rewriting of something that had already been written); either way, we're both dismissing something that was shown, because the two are in direct conflict and disagreement with each other.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cryin4days

I realize there are many other scenes that refute the claim that Will puts Sonny ahead of Ari. I even said in my last sentence that even if it's not their intention the writers "sometimes" show Will as choosing Sonny. I could cite the move to New York dilema. Will didn't hesitate for one second to choose Ari and made the decision to move to New York with Gabi, with or without Sonny.

My point is, and always will be, who Will puts ahead of the other completely depends on whatever story the writers are attempting to tell. When Gabi's pregnancy was a secret, we had no doubt Will was doing what he did because he thought it was best for the baby. When it was time for Will and Sonny to reconcile, the writers had it appear Will sacrificed being in his daughters life so that he wouldn't lose Sonny. When Gabi was considering moving to NY, Will decided to move with her and Ari. When Will thought Sonny killed Nick, he chose to not be apart of his daughters life so that he could save Sonny.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

Rosebud
Jun 3 2014, 06:10 AM
Supergirlx2
Jun 2 2014, 09:53 PM
Posted Image

I didn't understand why AS made this almost side-eye expression.
Wow, is AS really that much taller than KA? Or is she wearing some of those big heels she always wears? I thought her hair looked bad again.
Both. AS is a bit taller than KA & she's wearing higher heels than KA. lol.

Will&Sonny

cryin4days
Jun 3 2014, 03:09 PM
I realize there are many other scenes that refute the claim that Will puts Sonny ahead of Ari. I even said in my last sentence that even if it's not their intention the writers "sometimes" show Will as choosing Sonny. I could cite the move to New York dilema. Will didn't hesitate for one second to choose Ari and made the decision to move to New York with Gabi, with or without Sonny.

My point is, and always will be, who Will puts ahead of the other completely depends on whatever story the writers are attempting to tell. When Gabi's pregnancy was a secret, we had no doubt Will was doing what he did because he thought it was best for the baby. When it was time for Will and Sonny to reconcile, the writers had it appear Will sacrificed being in his daughters life so that he wouldn't lose Sonny. When Gabi was considering moving to NY, Will decided to move with her and Ari. When Will thought Sonny killed Nick, he chose to not be apart of his daughters life so that he could save Sonny.
I get your point and am not disagreeing with it, but it's not really relevant to the point I was making. Your more recent examples about New York and Will's confession aren't relevant because they're completely separate storylines. However, the other examples you mentioned -- the ones I also cited in my own previous posts -- are directly linked to the same storyline about the paternity of Gabi's baby. Those scenes occurred within weeks of each other, not months or a year apart from each other. In that case, it wasn't just a matter of the writers choosing to do whatever suited their purposes, it was also a blatant retcon of what we had just been told mere weeks earlier. It would be like us being told right now that Will had confessed to protect Sonny and being told next month that Will had actually confessed to protect Gabi. We would know that's not true because we first saw that Will had confessed to protect Sonny and had never even realized that Gabi had known about the gun that had been hidden in the apartment. It would be a blatant retcon of already-established facts, just like Will telling Sonny that he had been willing to let Nick and Gabi raise the baby because he had been afraid of losing Sonny was a blatant retcon of already-established facts. Later storylines in which one could argue that Will chooses one of them over the other are another matter entirely.

In such retcon situations, I choose to believe what we were initially told, because if the writers had wanted us to believe something different all along, they should have written it that way from the start, IMO. Obviously, some retcons are different than others -- retconning Parker's paternity to make him Daniel's child instead of Philip's could be spun as an always-planned future reveal, not a retcon -- but changing a character's motivation to suit the new purposes of a storyline isn't really the kind of retcon that can be justified as anything other than bad writing, as far as I'm concerned.

concerned
Member Avatar

Yoryla
Jun 3 2014, 08:12 AM
Kaha
Jun 3 2014, 12:03 AM
PALMommy
Jun 2 2014, 11:37 PM
concerned
Jun 2 2014, 10:01 PM

Actually . . . I have a friend who HATES Ciara.

:run:
I am not that crazy about Ciara. She can be amusing most times, but to tell you the truth, I don't fully get the Ciara worship.
I've seen a lot of anti-Ciara posts in other places, mostly ones that want for Hope to get her "horrible daughter in check" though. But then again they know nothing imo. lol.
Obviously I have all the anti Ciara contingent set on ignore. It's skewing my view of the board.

Deverauxfan
Member Avatar

Gabi:

Spoiler: click to toggle

missmeka1987_
Member Avatar

DaysAddiction
Jun 3 2014, 01:39 AM
Will&Sonny
Jun 2 2014, 09:12 PM
PALMommy
Jun 2 2014, 08:39 PM
Will&Sonny
Jun 2 2014, 08:36 PM
I didn't think that Sami came across as being insensitive during my first viewing of this episode, and I still don't think that she came across that way after my second viewing of it. But I also don't really have anything against Sami to begin with (except for her chosen fiancÚ), so there's that.
It's funny . .. I didn't think she came across as insensitive either, but then again maybe I've become desensitized to her? :shrug:
Personally -- and I mean no offense to anyone here with what I'm about to say, as you're all entitled to your opinions -- I think it's just the opposite -- I think that she (and/or Alison Sweeney) just annoys some people so much that they are able to find faults in her even when there aren't really any to be found. The same is true of Daniel, IMO.

And the same phenomenon occurs with Nicole, but in reverse. People are remarkably sympathetic to her every plight, even when they shouldn't be. I swear, I sometimes feel like if she suffered a paper cut on-screen, there would be pages and pages of posts about the injustice of it all. :lol:
I personally love Alison Sweeney. I watch her both on Days and as the host of the Biggest loser

Quotes like this always brings it back to the fact it will always be TeamAlison vs TeamArianne And I'm Team Arianne for life :bye:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

missmeka1987_
Jun 4 2014, 12:03 AM
DaysAddiction
Jun 3 2014, 01:39 AM
Will&Sonny
Jun 2 2014, 09:12 PM
PALMommy
Jun 2 2014, 08:39 PM

Personally -- and I mean no offense to anyone here with what I'm about to say, as you're all entitled to your opinions -- I think it's just the opposite -- I think that she (and/or Alison Sweeney) just annoys some people so much that they are able to find faults in her even when there aren't really any to be found. The same is true of Daniel, IMO.

And the same phenomenon occurs with Nicole, but in reverse. People are remarkably sympathetic to her every plight, even when they shouldn't be. I swear, I sometimes feel like if she suffered a paper cut on-screen, there would be pages and pages of posts about the injustice of it all. :lol:
I personally love Alison Sweeney. I watch her both on Days and as the host of the Biggest loser

Quotes like this always brings it back to the fact it will always be TeamAlison vs TeamArianne And I'm Team Arianne for life :bye:
Only if one insists on making it a competition. I like both actresses. It's not hard. :shrug:

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

I got around to watching Monday and Tuesday's episodes last night. From some of the comments I expected to see Sami smirking or being indifferent to Gabi's plight. But she didn't smile and she expressed concern for Gabi. Later she asked EJ about the confession and whether she had been implicated for Nick's first "murder " at the river. And Will didn't even want to leave the station because he was worried about Gabi. I just didn't see any insensitivity on their parts.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 2 2014, 12:23 PM
imo, today is really showing how subtle & nuanced CB's performances have been for months. I really believe she's been playing this subtext all along
I do too. All kinds of kudos to her for that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply