Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday, June 9th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Jun 7 2014, 01:24 AM (12,831 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

This week's winner was james0479!

Quote:

The 3rd person to post in Tuesday's daily discussion thread will pick next week's clip (unless it's james0479 again!)

Discuss!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daysjahvu
Member Avatar

Wow...I was not watching Days when this originally aired, too busy working, no vcr. I definitely missed out...the acting(Louise Sorel is fantastic), the music, the lighting. It totally gave me the creeps. Fabulous choice james0479!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

^^ Thanks ;) and thank you Lysie!! While there are a few more clips and one in particular I'd love to share, James0479 promises to do his best in letting others play! Lol. With the next opportunity on a different day, I can't guarantee ill remember that so don't kill me if it accidentally happens!! I love this idea Lysie and can't wait to see what others choose.

My reason for picking this clip is twofold. One, Ive noticed a good number of posters here lately who's only been a faithful viewer rather recently and, while there's many to choose from, I wanted to share my personal favorite time of Days....the 90's when it was a mysterious tangled gothic novel. The tone, both story wise and look wise was just that: Gothic. Also, Crystal Chappell as Carly Manning used to be really really good and Lousie Sorel as Vivian Alamain wasn't a cartoon. She was a complex intriguing woman who would go full on evil for those she loved, although she was under the influence of herbs from a Doctor at this time and she eventually was the person who led people to rescue Carly.

Two, it didn't take me 4 minutes to decide upon this clip as thru my near 25 years faithfully watching this show this scene remains one of the most vivid moments in my viewing history. I remember being so panicked as a kid watching this. I loved Carly. I loved Vivian. And I hated tight quarters lol. It's a deliciously creepy scene, the whole story (and she was in that coffin for awhile) was creepy and it got worse (Vivan taunting Carly via walkie talkie was epic insanity). Watching it now, I feel even more claustrophobic. The show did a great job with the tightness, the lighting...Crystal and Louise were phenomenal. Truly was edge of your seat stuff and head writer James Reilly at a peak that had already started and would last, IMO, a long time after (hello Susan Banks!). So there ya have it. A chilling little way to start the video threads. ;). Enjoy!!!

Edited by james0479, Jun 7 2014, 11:27 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

While Carly being buried alive was definitely OTT, this was at least during the period (I think, at least) that JER was writing with Sheri Anderson as his co-HW, a period that I think is far superior to his later work HWing alone. IMO, JER (who tended to write a LOT of OTT stories) needed a more grounded, traditional co-HW to balance out a lot of his craziness.

james0479
Member Avatar

Matt
Jun 7 2014, 11:46 AM
While Carly being buried alive was definitely OTT, this was at least during the period (I think, at least) that JER was writing with Sheri Anderson as his co-HW, a period that I think is far superior to his later work HWing alone. IMO, JER (who tended to write a LOT of OTT stories) needed a more grounded, traditional co-HW to balance out a lot of his craziness.
Totally agree Matt. There was a very cool balance when JER was working with Sherri and it produced some of his best work. There were OTT things obviously but there were also grounded stories as well. The show literally had something for everyone. I found it to be a perfect match. This fan, however, loved 90% of Reilly anyway, even when he was whacky mainly because nobody did a payoff better than him, IMO. He was a very frustrating writer but there was always something going on that inevitably involved the entire canvas. His legacy is no doubt one that is a love/hate thing but the man had interesting ideas. Sometimes they worked, sometimes not as good but it was a wild ride! ;)

angie37
Member Avatar

I wish Days was capable of making me hang on the edge of my seat like this story did. I swear I was ready to kill Vivian and for Bo to dig up that grave with his bare hands.

Marlene

No matter how many times I see this, my reaction is always the same: creepy. I can almost hear myself breathing.

I never realized it before, but this almost reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone. I think it was from the series that aired in the 80s. A woman in prison wanted to escape and talked the prisoner who buried dead prisoners to let her "exit" the prison in the coffin with the dead body. This man would later dig up the coffin and let her out. In the last scene, she's in the coffin, strikes a match and sees that the dead man lying beside her is the man who was supposed to dig her out. Obviously this memory is approaching 30 years old and I could definitely have it wrong but just curious if anyway else knows what I'm talking about.

Either way, both had me scared for a long time. And as I type this, I can still hear my breathing......

Great choice.

WilSonJAb33
Member Avatar

Marlene
Jun 7 2014, 03:21 PM
No matter how many times I see this, my reaction is always the same: creepy. I can almost hear myself breathing.

I never realized it before, but this almost reminds me of an episode of The Twilight Zone. I think it was from the series that aired in the 80s. A woman in prison wanted to escape and talked the prisoner who buried dead prisoners to let her "exit" the prison in the coffin with the dead body. This man would later dig up the coffin and let her out. In the last scene, she's in the coffin, strikes a match and sees that the dead man lying beside her is the man who was supposed to dig her out. Obviously this memory is approaching 30 years old and I could definitely have it wrong but just curious if anyway else knows what I'm talking about.

Either way, both had me scared for a long time. And as I type this, I can still hear my breathing......

Great choice.
It was creepy I agree, granted much of Vivian's entire purpose at this time come off as creepy to me to be honest.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

I was in half-day kindergarten and I remember watching this with my mom after school when it aired. It was right after my great-grandmother died so I was convinced that she was still alive in her casket. This is still extremely creepy! I absolutely loved Carly at the time, I thought she was so pretty. She and Bo were my favorites, which is probably why I've been indifferent to any of his pairings afterwards. I hate what they did to her character when she returned. They screwed her over big time.
Edited by Spencer Hastings, Jun 7 2014, 10:41 PM.

iloveyou94

I watched Days from June 4,2014 and I seen that JJ friend gave Abby meds. Please tell me what you think pregnancy symptoms or miscarriage symptoms. I need your help inform me I have not been watching lately.

WilSonJAb33
Member Avatar

iloveyou94
Jun 8 2014, 01:33 AM
I watched Days from June 4,2014 and I seen that JJ friend gave Abby meds. Please tell me what you think pregnancy symptoms or miscarriage symptoms. I need your help inform me I have not been watching lately.
what Abby was given was Midol for cramps related to a period, the show kind of addressed the fact that Abby thought she was pregnant and later revealed she was not.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

omg! I had to stop watching. I'm claustrophobic... probably worse than James' fear of snakes!

Edit: Wait! I just read James is claustrophobic. I thought his only fear was snakes!
Edited by iheartwilson, Jun 8 2014, 06:26 AM.

iheartwilson
Member Avatar

How long does she stay in there? Poor Carly!

phloe3

Abby said she had cramps. I don't think she's pregnant. She would be showing by now
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

iheartwilson
Jun 8 2014, 06:19 AM
omg! I had to stop watching. I'm claustrophobic... probably worse than James' fear of snakes!

Edit: Wait! I just read James is claustrophobic. I thought his only fear was snakes!
LOL ok lemme clarify....there is no greater fear than my horrid and disturbing fear of snakes. I have trouble even typing the word. Example (and I'm aware it's ridic but it's a true phobia....I was on my iPhone just scrolling thru fb when one of those damn things were right there on my screen in a picture. Before meaning to, I slung my phone and it just sat there for a good 35 min until I was finally able to get my toe to scroll it down and even then it took me a second to grab it. As with claustrophobia, I'd prefer to not be in a tight spot but if i am, I don't panic. Put me in a coffin and bury me alive and we got a problem. Put a snake in there and ya just killed me lol. So I totally get your claustrophobia. I suppose I don't necessarily have that but this clip will provide it to ya ;)

I'm glad people are liking the clip. Like I said it's probably my all time favorite. It IS hard to get thru, the scene feels like an eternity. They did SO good with this!!
Edited by james0479, Jun 8 2014, 08:45 AM.

james0479
Member Avatar

iheartwilson
Jun 8 2014, 06:24 AM
How long does she stay in there? Poor Carly!
That's a good question and I'm not 100% sure....(help someone, Jason?!). I know she was rescued the first week of August 1993 (right?) and I WANNA say she was in there like 3 weeks but don't quote me. I don't know about anyone else but to me it didn't feel dragged out because the suspense level stayed consistent the entire time but I wanted her out so bad! There were many scenes of Vivian taunting Carly via walkie talkie, updating her on the events in Salem and how much Nicolas is viewing her (Viv) as a mother now that Carly is "dead". It was relentless. Ivan her man servant was as nervous a wreck as the audience was. Carly could talk back to Viv, she could hear Nicolas talking to. Vivian once turned off the part of the walkie talkie that could hear Carly's voice and had it set up during dinner so Carly could hear it. Soooo wrong! But Vivian eventually caved, Lawrence in a dash went to the grave and dug Carly up. She was now in a coma and when she woke up she had no memory of Bo or Nicolas even...just of Lawrence...who she thought was James (long story). Lol.

ETA: Spencer Hastings, that story about your grandmother....awwww bless your heart. Yea, that could've been traumatic! :( I loved Carly too, she was my favorite character and I was devastated when she left the show. CC is a really good actress and it's a shame about all the drama with her last stint...I kinda gave the character a pass tho as I blamed Dena Higley. And she WAS buried alive before so ya know lol.
Edited by james0479, Jun 8 2014, 09:03 AM.

angie37
Member Avatar

The whole saga with Bo/Carly/Billie/Lawrence/Vivian/Nicholas/Shawn D was so well written. There were so many aspects that this fan never got bored. There was Bo/Carly in love, Bo/Billie with a growing attraction, Carly/Vivian and their hatred, Bo/Lawrence as enemies, Carly/Lawrence as old lovers with a child, Vivian and her unnatural obsession with Lawrence, Shawn D/Nicholas friction... I could go on and on. The live burial was the icing on the cake.

And count me in as one who loved first-run Carly, but with RKK not PR.
Edited by angie37, Jun 8 2014, 11:12 AM.

daysjahvu
Member Avatar

I remember reading about the 1976 Chowchilla school bus kidnapping...26 kids & their bus driver were kidnapped and put into a moving van that was buried underground. Altho that was much bigger than a coffin, it still totally creeped me out as a teenager and would have made watching this whole arc even better. I'll have to see if I can find it on yt.

Gotta love Twilight Zone...my kids & I watched a number of episodes during a marathon over the holidays. The were amazed at how creepy they were since most of them were in black & white. One of my faves was when a young, beautiful Robert Redford played death.
Edited by daysjahvu, Jun 8 2014, 10:41 AM.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Carly being buried alive didn't scare me at all but I was in my 30s, not a kid, lol. I enjoyed Vivian's craziness though. This was the only time period I found JER tolerable.

james0479
Member Avatar

I was born January of '79 and this was in 1993 so I was 14 and had been watching Days faithfully for about 3 years. As a kid I was a horror junkie so having that kind of craziness on the only soap I watched was just COOL to me! However, I can understand how other viewers who supported the show during the 80s could've been like WTF is this!?!?! Needless to say, as we all know, it was only the beginning! But then again, Days had some crazy moments before ...Hope's "death" in a vat of acid was pretty extreme! ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply